• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Pikmin 4 |ST| In Development and Very Close to Completion

What's your favorite Pikmin game before 4?

• Pikmin

Votes: 22 13.1%
  • Pikmin 2

Votes: 31 18.5%
  • Pikmin 3

Votes: 97 57.7%
  • Pikmin Bloom

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Hey! Pikmin (why would you pick this?)

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I’ve never played Pikmin before

Votes: 14 8.3%

• Total voters
Already feeling overwhelmed with Olimar’s Shipwreck Tale, all because of the 15 day limit. I hate time limits! I’ll try to power through though. One thing that’s confusing me is that I can’t seem to produce Yellow Pikmin? I have the Yellow Onion, I feed it yellow pellets, I still get red.

You NOT finished 100%, more things awaits you...
Yeah, I know I'm missing two key round things. I was wondering why they didn't pop up before the final cave.

Already feeling overwhelmed with Olimar’s Shipwreck Tale, all because of the 15 day limit. I hate time limits! I’ll try to power through though. One thing that’s confusing me is that I can’t seem to produce Yellow Pikmin? I have the Yellow Onion, I feed it yellow pellets, I still get red.
2 parts at least per day is all you need, and I assure you that gathering as many as five in one day in your first try is quite easy.

Are you making sure a majority of the Pikmin carrying the yellow pellets are also Yellows? Because that's what determines what color pikmin get produced. For example: if you have 5 pikmin a carrying something and you want it to make yellows, you need 3 of those 5 pikmin to be yellows.

The color of a pellet means it'll produce more pikmin if it's used to make pikmin of that color, but if a yellow pellet is carried to the onion by mostly red pikmin, it'll just make more red pikmin.

Are you making sure a majority of the Pikmin carrying the yellow pellets are also Yellows?
Yup. Even tried throwing a single Yellow at those small posies, to no avail. Anyway, problem seemingly solved? I just played the next day and it worked fine. Very odd and it felt like I wasted a day trying to make things work because some stuff I found obviously required Yellows, but them’s the breaks.

2 parts at least per day is all you need, and I assure you that gathering as many as five in one day in your first try is quite easy
I’m behind schedule lol

Yup. Even tried throwing a single Yellow at those small posies, to no avail. Anyway, problem seemingly solved? I just played the next day and it worked fine. Very odd and it felt like I wasted a day trying to make things work because some stuff I found obviously required Yellows, but them’s the breaks.
Are you sure the new Onion actually absorbed into your Onion? I don't remember how it works, maybe it takes until the next day?

Finally platinumed all the Collect the Treasure challenges in Pikmin3, what a ride! Not going to bother with the enemy challenges, I tried a couple but I don't like them quite as much. So I went back to Pikmin 4 and I platinumed all the Dandori Challenges in one sitting. I feel like I've been training in the hyperbolic time chamber! The last 2 were tricky and took me some tries though, I kept missing the mark for a few seconds but ultimately got them. Just when I was feeling all high and mighty I took a look at the Dandori Challenge thread and discovered that I'm a miserable scrub, you guys are too good!

Yeah I double checked, it was split into red and yellow

Also I’m no longer behind schedule lol
In Olimar's tale you have to change your strategy a bit: Instead of trying to beat every enemy, bring every corpse to the base, open every shortcut...You can ignore a lot of these things. Even if there are enemies in the path to parts, you can use Olimar to distract them while the Pikmin safely carry the part to the ship (this is not always the best thing to do, but it's very useful specially when there are big enemies on the way that may take you some time to beat). Once you start thinking like this you'll be getting more than enough ship parts every day. It took me some days to figure it out as well :)

TIL that if you have the second player active, the Survey Drone can essentially act as a third captain/orbital laser.

Redownloading pikmin 3 for another play through co-op style.

Finally got back to Pikmin 1 and beat it in a couple of hours, I managed to get my record down almost 10 days!! And I'm itching to go another lap because I could've shaved off several days with small adjustments. I made some adjustments to my playstyle, trying to take with me only the Pikmin I needed at every moment and being much more careful around water and I enjoyed it even more than the first time I played it a couple of weeks ago. It doesn't feel so rough anymore, though it's true that the Pikmin AI is still very messy.

BTW, I noticed that the maps are the same as in Pikmin 2!! I can't believe how I didn't notice it the first time.

I think I'm settling on a definitive ranking:
  1. Pikmin 3: If I had to judge the games only by their story mode then Pikmin 1 would be in the top spot, but the Missions have propelled 3 to the first place, they are the absolute highlight of the series and the purest and most fun way of exercising Dandori.
  2. Pikmin 1: Just amazing, no fat, no sour spots. Simple, clean, elegant and straight to the point. This is the only one where I feel like almost every Pikmin counts. Best story mode by far, having a menacing countdown pushing you forward is integral to the experience and the others just don't have it (well 3 does, but it soon becomes irrelevant). It's the shortest one and with the least amount of content, but at the same time it's the most replayable by far.
  3. Pikmin 4: Amazing game with a ton of content. However the many micro-cutscenes and constant interruptions really put me off of even thinking about replaying the main story. The night expeditions are great and the Dandori Challenges are my favourite part of the game. I think Oatchi is OP and simplifies the game too much: In 3 for example there were a lot of different ways of doing things thanks to the multiple captains, but in 4 many times you can only use Oatchi so you don't even have to think about it. If Pikmin 1 is where every Pikmin counts, 4 is where I think they count the least: A lot of times I see them just as ammunition to quickly burn through...and I can even take down enemies or transport stuff with Oatchi. I think it's a bit too oversimplified. But also, this may be the best one for newcomers to the series. Who knows, maybe it'll get some DLC at the level of 3, the final Dandori Challenges were an absolute blast!
  4. Pikmin 2: It's a great game and I enjoyed it for the most part BUT I feel like they took Pikmin 1 and made a lot of bad decisions. Removing the time limit was a miss and caves are just not good, they disincentivize strategic thinking and instead force you into a much more simpler and tedious way to play. When it's doing what 1 did, exploring the overworld and trying to find how to reach caves it's amazing, but the rest of the experience is not up to par.

Last edited:
Cured Olimar and "beat" the game. Of course, this basically being Pikmin 2 2, there's probably still a lot more to do and I'm excited to keep playing.

I forgot just how much I missed Olimar's Piklopedia and treasure notes. They're so much more fun to read than the other NPCs notes it's not even funny, even if a number of them are copied from Pikmin 2.

Slowly but surely approaching 100% completion (aside from potentially the side missions requiring Dandori Gold medals) and holding off on the finale until I’ve done everything else. All previous areas have been fully cleared, so I just need to clean up the last one, do the final cave, and that’ll be that. I’ll probably finish tomorrow.

Finally finished Olimar’s Shipwreck Tale, with 3 days to spare. Pretty good considering I wasted a lot of time in my first few in-game days. Also somehow seeing Olimar being sucked up into the onion was horrifying. Next up is a mysterious cave. I like mysterious caves.

I didn’t want to juggle games, so now that I finally finished Trails Into Reverie after 124 hours yesterday, I’m all in on Pikmin 4! Before I decided that, I had last left off after fully completing Area 1 and experiencing my very first day in Area 2 so I’m barely getting started!

Just a quick update since I crashed tonight faster than I expected (busy day!), but yes I’m back in for Pikmin 4. I ran through two more days in Area 2. I think my plan for this game is largely to do all the surface stuff in an area first and then tackle the caves. I don’t remember my posts in here so far, so if I didn’t mention it prior, Pikmin 2 is my favorite in the series so I’m really digging caves are back! I did one and a Dandori Battle in a cave today (another Platinum!) and it’s fun mapping them out and carefully assessing danger. Tomorrow then I’ll wrap up Area 2 by securing the third landing site and collecting the last few items there before tackling all of the caves I left unexplored.

Finished the game, all areas explored, all treasures, all rescues. Very satisfied with what we got.

I even platinumed all Dandori challenges and battles
My plan is to plat all the Dandori challenges too. And the cave that appears after you complete Shipwreck Tale is kicking my ass in that regard. Spent a full hour getting the plat for the first two missions!

My plan is to plat all the Dandori challenges too. And the cave that appears after you complete Shipwreck Tale is kicking my ass in that regard. Spent a full hour getting the plat for the first two missions!
That particular part of the game convinced me going for gold/plat wasn't worth it for every stage.

10 days into the rescue expedition and my first two Pikmin (both Ice Pikmin) finally died in the field against the big snake bird thing from Pikmin 1. Feels bad. Progress was excellent though, as I only have one cave left and in my last ten seconds on the field I made a mad dash to move my landing zone. (Weird you can’t just pick it when you land)

Playing through Pikmin 3 again. The aiming and co-op really shine and I wish P4 had them.

After 24 hours, I rolled credits. The post-game seems substantial, though! Excited to keep this train going for another, idk, 12 hours I'm guessing?

Having a really tough time getting the platinum for the 4th Dandori challenge in the mysterious cave. Getting stressed out and I feel like I'm missing something crucial. I think I might do the Giant's Hearth for the meantime.

Having a really tough time getting the platinum for the 4th Dandori challenge in the mysterious cave. Getting stressed out and I feel like I'm missing something crucial. I think I might do the Giant's Hearth for the meantime.
I'd recommend doing all the trials first (no matter what medal you get), then continuing with the story and after that you can come back to plat the missing trials.

Cleared the 3rd area 100% aside from the night missions that I’ll tackle next. Definitely a good chance this will be my favorite zone overall as I love a good water level and this one was fantastic! The holes here had some nice bite in their difficulty which I enjoyed. I especially dug the fish tank level we saw in trailers and the one with the water wraith. This is definitely the Pikmin 2 sequel I’ve always wanted haha. Only annoying thing with caves that I didn’t realize, it seems you are locked into your Pikmin types? I guess it makes for better puzzles / challenges, but it’s a bit disappointing in the moment.

Pikmin in a house was fun. Very cool having more verticality than ever before and running across countertops especially was amusing

Got lucky that I snagged 100% completion on my last day by making a beeline to the last cave before the counter starting ticking haha. Took 19:17:42 across 29 in game days to roll credits. 1254/1318 lived so only 64 deaths which wasn’t too bad.

Not tonight, but I’m excited to check out the post game!

I think it’s kind of an open secret in this thread, but I’m playing one of the post game modes:

I started Olimar’s Tale, which I’ll likely finish today. Was a little worried at first about the time limit as I had a rough day on day 3, but then things turned around dramatically.

Day 1 - Area 1 - 2 parts
Day 2 - Area 1 - 2 parts
Day 3 - Area 2 - 1 parts
Day 4 - Area 1 - 3 parts complete!
Day 5 - Area 2 - 7 parts complete!

When you aren’t building an army things go very quickly haha.

I know, i already let out my feelings about this race of little space-traveling people being like fucking Lemmings, Leroy Jenkinsing on an unknown, hostile planet like it's YOLO.

But i think Louie tops them all.

I can't remember, was he this dumb in Pikmin 2 too?

Louie must be the most stupid person in the whole Pikmin universe.
Dude, the guy you've been told to look for LITERALLY talks to you to stop doing dumb stuff in partnership with Moss.

WHY DON'T YOU LISTEN, MAN?!

I want a DLC where i can just leave Louie on that planet. Turn him into a leafling too ... it can only be an improvement to normal Louie.

Have you seen how chonky they are? They must take up a lot of code.

Had the same experience! Was nervous about the time limit at first but halfway through I made enough time to even waste a whole day screwing around.
Yeah I ended up finishing with 5 days to spare haha. Just tore through the rest of it at that point. Working on the sage trials now. Have the first three done with Platinums, the fourth one is quite intimidating with the water enemies.

Have the first three done with Platinums, the fourth one is quite intimidating with the water enemies
If it helps, I was in the same boat and I was advised to worry about Platinums later, which I assume means there's still stuff to unlock to help with those challenges.

If it helps, I was in the same boat and I was advised to worry about Platinums later, which I assume means there's still stuff to unlock to help with those challenges.
Yeah I’m definitely being stubborn and wanting to push on regardless as I love the challenge haha. Upgrading Oatchi’s digging for example would have helped a ton with the third challenge. I probably should buy more of the gear at least.

I know, i already let out my feelings about this race of little space-traveling people being like fucking Lemmings, Leroy Jenkinsing on an unknown, hostile planet like it's YOLO.

But i think Louie tops them all.

I can't remember, was he this dumb in Pikmin 2 too?

Louie must be the most stupid person in the whole Pikmin universe.
Dude, the guy you've been told to look for LITERALLY talks to you to stop doing dumb stuff in partnership with Moss.

WHY DON'T YOU LISTEN, MAN?!

I want a DLC where i can just leave Louie on that planet. Turn him into a leafling too ... it can only be an improvement to normal Louie.
Personally, I think it's less that he's dumb and more that he's genuinely some kind of sociopath; the main difference is in this game, he's sorta given the opportunity to really lean into his complete lack of empathy which is a big motivator for his wanting to stay on the planet, whereas previous games have had various factors keeping his worst impulses in check for the most part (though not always; for example, just making off with all the Koppaite's food and leaving them to starve in Pikmin 3)

Sadly had very little time to play today and have no more time tonight, but I did finish the first post game area which was very cool. I spent my first day in the next one which looks menacing. Tomorrow I’m definitely dedicating to the challenge maps first.

The aggressive soft lock is extremely annoyingly felt in the seventh extra hard Dandori map. I only feel like I’m battling the game rather than overcoming a challenge. Not sure why they couldn’t have made it a menu option to disable it and the cap on throwing Pikmin for tasks (which incidentally is baffling with White Pikmin especially considering they can exceed the cap for carrying stuff).

The aggressive soft lock is extremely annoyingly felt in the seventh extra hard Dandori map. I only feel like I’m battling the game rather than overcoming a challenge. Not sure why they couldn’t have made it a menu option to disable it and the cap on throwing Pikmin for tasks (which incidentally is baffling with White Pikmin especially considering they can exceed the cap for carrying stuff).
What do you mean with "soft lock"? That thing when the captain stops tossing Pikmin once it's reached the necessary number, when you mash the button? I love that and I miss it a lot when playing Pikmin 1 and 2.

Louie truly is evil, it's confirmed. He plays dumb but he is a terrible person.

Also, this game is amazing. I've got 2% left in the final area, but "beat" the game. I just feel like I want more and more content for it. Maybe there will be some super creative DLC.

After Metroid Prime Remaster, I'm once again astounded by how this technicaly beautiful game can be as battery efficient as it is.

What do you mean with "soft lock"? That thing when the captain stops tossing Pikmin once it's reached the necessary number, when you mash the button? I love that and I miss it a lot when playing Pikmin 1 and 2.
In the old Pikmin games your cursor wouldn’t get stuck on enemies and items the way it does in 4. It’s a soft lock since it sticks, but can be removed by moving the stick over enough. Hard lock is when you lock it in yourself with a button press (like Z targeting in the old Zelda games). Without a soft lock, you could more specifically target body parts on creatures (if you wanted to blind a bulborb for example you could aim for its eyes) or in the case I’m encountering if there are multiple enemies you could freely move between them instead of getting stuck on each one as the cursor moves along. You could miss your targets without this feature which is likely why they changed it and the game is largely fine without it except when multiple enemies are present. Like in this challenge I paused on where you have 99 grub enemies.

I’m not sure what you would call the feature you are describing exactly, but in my first post I called it a throw cap. This is another feature that aims to make the game more accessible and it generally is less of a concern considering they largely removed the ability to speed up carrying stuff by throwing more Pikmin at a task, though White Pikmin skirt that rule which is where it comes up as an annoyance.

The game has a large options menu already, so I’m really unsure why they didn’t give people a choice especially when the game does want to give you scenarios where it really presents a big problem.

I’m not sure what you would call the feature you are describing exactly, but in my first post I called it a throw cap. This is another feature that aims to make the game more accessible and it generally is less of a concern considering they largely removed the ability to speed up carrying stuff by throwing more Pikmin at a task, though White Pikmin skirt that rule which is where it comes up as an annoyance.

You can still put more Pikmin on an object than the minimum to carry it faster regardless of color, you just have to circumvent the game trying really hard to prevent you from doing that. A common thing you'll see in speedruns is the player throwing a few spare Pikmin at an object that was picked up earlier and is already being carried towards the base so it finishes getting there a little bit faster.

You can still put more Pikmin on an object than the minimum to carry it faster regardless of color, you just have to circumvent the game trying really hard to prevent you from doing that. A common thing you'll see in speedruns is the player throwing a few spare Pikmin at an object that was picked up earlier and is already being carried towards the base so it finishes getting there a little bit faster.
I've noticed that behavior with the larger objects, is it actually still possible with smaller stuff too? What an odd thing.

I've noticed that behavior with the larger objects, is it actually still possible with smaller stuff too? What an odd thing.
Anything that could be carried by 1 Pikmin usually can't have more carrying it, which is true throughout the series, but anything with a slightly higher minimum like 5 should still work the same as a larger object.

In the old Pikmin games your cursor wouldn’t get stuck on enemies and items the way it does in 4. It’s a soft lock since it sticks, but can be removed by moving the stick over enough. Hard lock is when you lock it in yourself with a button press (like Z targeting in the old Zelda games). Without a soft lock, you could more specifically target body parts on creatures (if you wanted to blind a bulborb for example you could aim for its eyes) or in the case I’m encountering if there are multiple enemies you could freely move between them instead of getting stuck on each one as the cursor moves along. You could miss your targets without this feature which is likely why they changed it and the game is largely fine without it except when multiple enemies are present. Like in this challenge I paused on where you have 99 grub enemies.
Oh, I get it now, I call that the auto-aim, because it's a bit too "hard" for me to be called a "soft lock" lol. I think soft lock only activates once you do an action, like in Bayonetta where you won't face the nearest enemy automatically, but once you attack you'll move in its' direction. However in Pikmin 4 you're actually getting locked on even if you don't do anything but move the cursor. Anyway, I do agree that it's horrible.

I think you can still throw more Pikmin to carry things faster. The game will stop tossing Pikmin once it reaches the exact number for a collectible, but if you stop mashing the button and then press it again after a short pause you can continue tossing Pikmin and they'll grab it. I think this is a very good system, because it gives you an easy way to quickly throw the exact number of Pikmin, but it also provides a way to keep throwing more and it's really hard to do by mistake.

Anything that could be carried by 1 Pikmin usually can't have more carrying it, which is true throughout the series, but anything with a slightly higher minimum like 5 should still work the same as a larger object.
Things that can be carried by 1 Pikmin can be carried by 2, it's possible in all the games.

One curious thing about this in Pikmin 1: If you have two Pellet Poseys next to each other and you throw 2 Pikmin at them, they will first hit the flowers to drop both pellets and then they will both grab and carry the same pellet, leaving the other one in the floor. It doesn't even matter if you throw each Pikmin at a separate flower or if both of them start on the same flower, they seem to be programmed to first hit the all nearby flowers and drop all the pellets and then grab them. I guess that the AI sees an "ungrabbed" pellet and assigns both Pikmin to it. So when the first Pikmin gets to it there's still room for one more and the second one grabs it as well. If there's a third Pikmin it will see that there is no more room in that pellet and go for a different one, so if you have 3 flowers, you'll end up with 2 Pikmin carrying one pellet, another one carrying one on his own and an unattended pellet on the floor.

I finished all of the extra hard Dandori challenges with Platinum medals! My favorite parts of 2 and 3 were definitely the challenge modes and these certainly lived up to them. Unless there is a final surprise, I only have the last area left to complete so I’ll hopefully finish the game fully tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom