• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Pikmin 4 |ST| In Development and Very Close to Completion

What's your favorite Pikmin game before 4?

• Pikmin

Votes: 22 13.1%
  • Pikmin 2

Votes: 31 18.5%
  • Pikmin 3

Votes: 97 57.7%
  • Pikmin Bloom

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Hey! Pikmin (why would you pick this?)

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I’ve never played Pikmin before

Votes: 14 8.3%

• Total voters
Something’s been bugging me about Pikmin 4… What’s up with the lack of transparency in objects that should be at least somewhat translucent but for some reason aren’t in this game? Like, the pellets should be slightly translucent as they were in previous games, and the glass walls that are breakable by Rock Pikmin even more so, yet both of these are completely opaque in Pikmin 4 for whatever reason. Surely it’s not because of hardware limitations, right…? It just looks so off, it’s weird…

As I wait for my copy to arrive via delivery, here is a well-made fan animation I stumbled upon:

Something’s been bugging me about Pikmin 4… What’s up with the lack of transparency in objects that should be at least somewhat translucent but for some reason aren’t in this game? Like, the pellets should be slightly translucent as they were in previous games, and the glass walls that are breakable by Rock Pikmin even more so, yet both of these are completely opaque in Pikmin 4 for whatever reason. Surely it’s not because of hardware limitations, right…? It just looks so off, it’s weird…
It's likely because of the difference in game engine being used (Unreal Engine 4), but from what I understand, oft times when objects obstruct the player character and its squad, they are usually highlighted to better let the player know their position. It's been a while since I've played past games, so it could be that previous installments simply made obstructing objects vanish for a moment?

Quoted by: Tye
Really curious and excited for whatever the postgame stuff turns out to be.

Mirror Gaming's review stated that half their total playtime with the game was due to the content available after the credits. It's also what bumped their rating up from 4 stars to 5.

Their going to pull a Planet of the Apes twist on us and reveal that the Pikmin 4 crew were sucked into a time warp.

It's likely because of the difference in game engine being used (Unreal Engine 4), but from what I understand, oft times when objects obstruct the player character and its squad, they are usually highlighted to better let the player know their position. It's been a while since I've played past games, so it could be that previous installments simply made obstructing objects vanish for a moment?
I’m not talking about objects turning transparent when your character is behind them, I’m talking about objects that should naturally be transparent (and were in past games), like glass walls. Now they’re just completely opaque, barely looking like glass at all. The same is true for pellets, which were slightly see-through in previous games, but are now fully opaque in Pikmin 4. I can see that as just being a design change for the pellets, but having glass walls that aren’t transparent like they were in Pikmin 3 makes it seem like there’s been a deliberate choice to remove translucency from objects in this game, and I don’t understand why…

Quoted by: SiG
I think the pellets stopped being transparent after the first game. They've looked completely solid to me in everything since 2. Just kind of shiny.

I’m not talking about objects turning transparent when your character is behind them, I’m talking about objects that should naturally be transparent (and were in past games), like glass walls. Now they’re just completely opaque, barely looking like glass at all. The same is true for pellets, which were slightly see-through in previous games, but are now fully opaque in Pikmin 4. I can see that as just being a design change for the pellets, but having glass walls that aren’t transparent like they were in Pikmin 3 makes it seem like there’s been a deliberate choice to remove translucency from objects in this game, and I don’t understand why…
I think I know why: Transparency is expensive to render, and considering they managed to let this game run smoothly on Switch using Unreal Engine 4, I could see them perhaps trying to optimize their render budget and save transparency for things like water.

Or it could be just an art-direction change. As @Stilt Village has mentioned, Pellets are opaque (at least from last I played in Pikmin 3), and not all glass walls ought to be transparent (really depends on the kind of material its made). I'd argue this game's is graphically a step up from Pikmin 3 as well.

I think the pellets stopped being transparent after the first game. They've looked completely solid to me in everything since 2. Just kind of shiny.
I haven’t played Pikmin 2 or 3 myself recently so I could be wrong about those, but I just played through Hey! Pikmin where the pellets are definitely slightly translucent (despite being on the 3DS!), and I thought that was the case with 2 and 3 as well. If so, it’s definitely not as noticeable as in Pikmin 1, at least.

I think I know why: Transparency is expensive to render, and considering they managed to let this game run smoothly on Switch using Unreal Engine 4, I could see them perhaps trying to optimize their render budget and save transparency for things like water.

Or it could be just an art-direction change. As @Stilt Village has mentioned, Pellets are opaque (at least from last I played in Pikmin 3), and not all glass walls ought to be transparent (really depends on the kind of material its made). I'd argue this game's is graphically a step up from Pikmin 3 as well.
Yeah, the fact that it’s easier to render is what I figured would be the most likely reason to remove the transparency, but still, it just makes the glass walls look really odd to me, especially compared to how they looked in Pikmin 3. Like, the game is definitely a step up graphically from 3, but the glass walls look worse in 4 despite that… It’s just a weird choice to me.

Sorry if this has been answered, but can I change my character design from the demo in the base game?

I havent finished the demo yet, but I did pick up the game. I want to know if I can clear the demo and still change my look after in the real game. If I can’t I’m probably gonna just scrap my demo save and start over.

Sorry if this has been answered, but can I change my character design from the demo in the base game?

I havent finished the demo yet, but I did pick up the game. I want to know if I can clear the demo and still change my look after in the real game. If I can’t I’m probably gonna just scrap my demo save and start over.
You can, I think you have to save a certain castaway first though.

This game's easiness is no match for me being terrible at video games

But also Area 2 is definitely a fair amount harder than 1, and the game's already harder than 3 ever was for me (outside a couple bosses)

Does anyone know what the in game reward for finishing the demo is?

Considering just starting a fresh save when I can get my hands on my switch again, just trying to decide if that reward matters.

Does anyone know what the in game reward for finishing the demo is?

Considering just starting a fresh save when I can get my hands on my switch again, just trying to decide if that reward matters.
It's 5 bomb rocks

Happy release day!
Sadly since I live in Belgium, our national holiday is today so my copy won't arrive today. I'm depressed

I usually buy my games in store when they release on fridays (so basically all first party releases) but this time around I ordered it online...

And obviously the game didnt arrive today so now I have to either wait for monday which is the next time the postal service arrives, or drive and buy another copy and return the other because I really wanted to play Pikmin this weekend :<

I do not need the game to be Dark Souls, but I do wish the individual enemies would pose a little more of a threat again.
So, I will try to simply not upgrade Oatchy and the Rookie too much, and avoid using the 'OP moves' if I can.
Excited to get it in a moment~

Unlocked third area, but still at second area doing things. I'm loving caves in this game, it's a step up from Pikmin 2.

I have to wait until Saturday to play it but I’m so glad it’s out. Happy Pikmin 4 release date to all!!!

I can't believe I'll finally be playing a new Pikmin game today! I skipped the demo because I didn't want to wait weeks before being able to continue playing, so I'm going in only knowing what was shown in trailers.

I don't know if I have a favorite. 3 is the most pleasant to play because it has the least jank, but they're all pretty close for me. I've always loved how "concise" the first game was, and like the first Luigi's Mansion, that's a big part of what makes it the one I've went back and replayed the most. 2 is probably the weakest of the three, but I played it around the time I was most into the series, so a lot of my best (and worst) memories of Pikmin come from that game.

mostly just finished up sun-speckled terrace this morning (I did not play the demo very thoughtfully/with consideration for the sparklium limit which meant I accidentally finished it on day 3 lol) so I guess technically I haven't seen much new yet but.....gosh what a lovely game.
there are a couple things I still have reservations about but they're pretty much all in comparison to previous games so taking this one on its own it's just about perfect so far

I did play about a quarter of a day in the second area which was enough to see one unexpected new creature. such a delight. really can't wait to dig in deeper

I feel bad not playing this at launch, but I’m only 155 hours into Tears of the Kingdom 😢

First Nintendo game I haven’t played at launch in ages too.

I have a question though, having come from Pikmin 3 on Wii U with Wiimote, Nunchuck and Gamepass controls, which I considered the optimum control scheme, is the button controls now considered the optimum?

I may not get to play until tomorrow. Amazon still says "delivery by 10 PM" and I won't be available this evening. I'm still looking forward to it!

I am very curious to see how longtime fans react to this game. I have enjoyed my half hour with the game, but it also feels so different from the rest of the series that I could see hardcore fans being turned off.

Personally, I’m cool with the changes. I can play 1+2 if I want a more strategic fare. This is a gorgeous collectathon.

I am very curious to see how longtime fans react to this game. I have enjoyed my half hour with the game, but it also feels so different from the rest of the series that I could see hardcore fans being turned off.

Personally, I’m cool with the changes. I can play 1+2 if I want a more strategic fare. This is a gorgeous collectathon.
Its possible that they'll incorporate more difficult elements again as the series goes on. This game is primarily meant for newer audiences after 3 games that didn't reach the masses.

Its possible that they'll incorporate more difficult elements again as the series goes on. This game is primarily meant for newer audiences after 3 games that didn't reach the masses.
Seems like the post-game addresses that audience, though I haven't learned how

Aha! I knew it. The post-game content is indeed a Pikmin 1 throwback Olimar mode with a day limit. 30 parts, 15 days.

Remixed maps, no caves.

Playing this after playing Pikmin 1+ 2 for a month is like looking at my children's art right before walking into a museum.

Pikmin 4 feels like peak Pikmin, so many small optimizations all over the place. I only have minor nitpicks so far.

Wow it really doesn't seem like there is much hype or interest for this game on here. That's really interesting.

I myself am considering getting it with my voucher, but I have to finish Zelda first. I'm just worried about the amount of content in this game, I really cannot afford a short game like Pikmin 3 right now.

Wow it really doesn't seem like there is much hype or interest for this game on here. That's really interesting.

I myself am considering getting it with my voucher, but I have to finish Zelda first. I'm just worried about the amount of content in this game, I really cannot afford a short game like Pikmin 3 right now.
It has significantly more content than Pikmin 3, as noted universally by the reviews.

Everything about this game is so snappy.

I do think it's a bit too easy and straightforward so far, but I am just 4 days in so that ought to change.

I accidentally yeeted off a Pikmin into the abyss and promptly restarted my day

No one dies on my watch dammit

Right now there is only TEARS in my gaming timeslot but I’m still buying this tomorrow on the drive home from vacation to show how excited I am about a new Pikmin game!!

So happy to see all you flowering commanders out there, mixing it up and discovering new sights and sounds!

Back
Top Bottom