• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Pikmin 4 |ST| In Development and Very Close to Completion

What's your favorite Pikmin game before 4?

• Pikmin

Votes: 22 13.1%
  • Pikmin 2

Votes: 31 18.5%
  • Pikmin 3

Votes: 97 57.7%
  • Pikmin Bloom

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Hey! Pikmin (why would you pick this?)

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I’ve never played Pikmin before

Votes: 14 8.3%

• Total voters
I'm wondering what people think of the soundtrack, because to be honest, the overworld and cave themes seem pretty unexceptional so far.
I like the minimal music. I get to enjoy the sounds of the Pikmin and the environment. I feel the music is just right.

I'm wondering what people think of the soundtrack, because to be honest, the overworld and cave themes seem pretty unexceptional so far.
Yeah, I wouldn't say it's bad per se. More unremarkable, at least so far. Like, I've been playing most of today and a decent amount yesterday and nothing besides the title theme has really stuck with me at all. It feels just a little bit too subtle and atmospheric, while music in the previous games gave me just a little bit more to latch onto.

I also kinda wish there were some sound options. Maybe the soundtrack would make more of an impression if I could turn the music up and/or other sounds down.

This is by far the most addicting game I've played this year. Just did the first few night missions and it's a great change of pace.

To be the "Pikmin guy" and not be able to play the game at launch has to be some kind of feeling. Hopefully the guy recovers fast.

Damn that really sucks. I know he just had surgery but I thought he was feeling a bit better.

Surprised to hear about enemies not respawning, I used to love how levels “fought back” overnight in these games

anyone else feel like dandori battles are glitches? sometimes they're competitive and sometimes I win with the opponent getting 6 points and I do nothing different

I like the minimal music. I get to enjoy the sounds of the Pikmin and the environment. I feel the music is just right.
The Distant Spring music in Pikmin 1 was minimal but extremely memorable to me. The music in this one just isn't doing it for me.

Just reached credits about an hour ago, and it looks like I won't be putting this game down for a while. Also very thankful that nobody has spoiled anything about the postgame content.

What a blissful experience. Not even kidding when I say it's the number one threat to TotK for my game of the year already.

There’s one section that’s pretty deeply hidden in the game that I really loved, for those who play it I will be watching so many youtuber reactions. This game just feels like a love letter to fans. More so than any Nintendo game has had before personally.

Can you tell me what level it's on? DM if it's anything too spoilery.

Halfway through area 2, my impression has been "what soundtrack?" I'm not sure they're even playing anything during gameplay most of the time.

After 5 hours, I feel pretty secure saying that Pikmin 4 slaps. I know a lot of folks loved 3, but it was a bit of a disappointment to me on the heels of 2. This, though? This is the sequel I've been waiting nearly 20 years for. It takes my favorite aspects of 2 and expands on them while adding layers of polish on top of the already extremely polished Pikmin 3.

The only critique I have so far is so minor it's barely worth mentioning: Does anyone else feel like it's time to put the time limit to bed completely? Having a timer was obviously important in 1, far less so in 2, and relatively consequential in 3. Here it feels like a vestige of the franchise that is just here because it always has been. At this point, I would rather it just stay daytime until you opt to return to base.

I feel like the rewind feature should have been added to the old games when they got rerelased, it could help alot of new players out

I didn't think this game could get better, and then I got to world three and saw
the tides going high and low.

It's the little things in life :)

I don't really get the story. Is this a reboot? The opening and Olimar's notes are written as if this is his first encounter on the planet/with Pikmin. Am I being baited or did they retcon everything for no reason?

I feel like the rewind feature should have been added to the old games when they got rerelased, it could help alot of new players out
I think it's a bad feature, it makes it so there's no consequences for failure.

Don't use it.

I agree with the user. Pikmin 2 should have had a "Reset Floor" option so I didn't have to close and reopen the game every time a boss messed me up or an item glitched into the ceiling.

Don't use it.

I agree with the user. Pikmin 2 should have had a "Reset Floor" option so I didn't have to close and reopen the game every time a boss messed me up or an item glitched into the ceiling.
I'm not. Doesn't mean it still isn't a get out of jail free card for someone else. People latently want that type of tension.

After 5 hours, I feel pretty secure saying that Pikmin 4 slaps. I know a lot of folks loved 3, but it was a bit of a disappointment to me on the heels of 2. This, though? This is the sequel I've been waiting nearly 20 years for. It takes my favorite aspects of 2 and expands on them while adding layers of polish on top of the already extremely polished Pikmin 3.

The only critique I have so far is so minor it's barely worth mentioning: Does anyone else feel like it's time to put the time limit to bed completely? Having a timer was obviously important in 1, far less so in 2, and relatively consequential in 3. Here it feels like a vestige of the franchise that is just here because it always has been. At this point, I would rather it just stay daytime until you opt to return to base.

I disagree. The entire point of having a timer is to softly enforce rfficiency in your actions, which is the entire essence of Pikmin.

No, it's a good feature because it speeds up the process of optimizing your routes. The consequence of having to do it again, better, still remains.

I disagree. The entire point of having a timer is to softly enforce rfficiency in your actions, which is the entire essence of Pikmin.
Yeah, that is my only hangup. Obviously it reinforces Dandori, but it's a little superficial since you just come back the next day and snap it up anyways. Maybe it could be a thing you toggle, like an "Exploration" mode versus a "Traditional" mode?

I'm not. Doesn't mean it still isn't a get out of jail free card for someone else. People latently want that type of tension.

Frankly, good sir, who gives a damn? Do you yell at people shaving strokes on the golf course?

I don't really get the story. Is this a reboot? The opening and Olimar's notes are written as if this is his first encounter on the planet/with Pikmin. Am I being baited or did they retcon everything for no reason?

I mean people made the same argument when permadeath was made optional in Fire Emblem...

Imagine going online just to complain and nitpick about the chillest game on earth

I can't wait for y'all to see the amount of content that's waiting for you after you beat the story

It’s a funny psychological trick, really. The timer in the Pikmin 3 demo dissuaded me from getting the game. By loosening the grip of the timer on the gameplay, Pikmin 4 appealed to me more, and paradoxically the fact that speeding through is optional now makes me want to try optimizing my play.

Well, in my next playthrough anyway. I’m perfectly fine with chilling right now haha.

This is like.... "student loan relief shouldn't exist because I had to pay off mine, so everyone else should" type of energy.
I swear if Dry Bones is on the Supreme Court and is the reason I'm broke af I'm going to make another Paper Mario thread about why Sticker Star is good, fine, average, not the worst game, actually.

Edit: Razzing in good fun. Apologies if it comes off as too mean; I can delete if desired.

What on earth is going on in here. First off, rewind is just a more efficient and dynamic version of resetting your console. Let’s please not yuck on optional accessibility features?? This game clearly has a deep respect for the series- exhibit B would be making literally every upgrade an optional buy rather than being discovered in the over world.

Anyhow, back to what I came here post - HOLY heck on earth I’m onto area three and can’t believe I’m playing this. It is the perfect mix of everything before it and runs beyond that. I feel so respected as a long time fan, and so excited for new ones.

What on earth is going on in here. First off, rewind is just a more efficient and dynamic version of resetting your console. Let’s please not yuck on optional accessibility features?? This game clearly has a deep respect for the series- exhibit B would be making literally every upgrade an optional buy rather than being discovered in the over world.

Anyhow, back to what I came here post - HOLY heck on earth I’m onto area three and can’t believe I’m playing this. It is the perfect mix of everything before it and runs beyond that. I feel so respected as a long time fan, and so excited for new ones.
Agreed on all fronts. This is a big, warm hug from Miyamoto and crew.

I understand both sides of the Rewind argument and I think it could have satisfied both parties by implementing difficulty modes. It is what it is, though.

Yeah this feels like a Galaxy 2 situation, which was equally silly. Being said, I'm not close to finishing the story yet so hopefully the game proves me wrong.
Why don't you stop waiting for the game to prove something to you and just enjoy Pikmin 4

This game is sublime, today was just full Dandori mode. Woke up, made coffee and breakfast, threw some plants

Having trouble 100% areas. Stuck On 99% and can’t find what’s missing. VERY FRUSTRATING.

About 10 hours in, just about ready to move on to the fourth area.

This game is simply incredible.

They've gone in almost the exact opposite direction I wanted and expected the series to go - but at every point they've proven that they knew better than me. Almost every design decision justifies itself if you give it half an hour to think about it, from restrictions on Pikmin type and numbers to night expeditions to putting the two types of Dandoori challenges in the game rather than as a separate mode. The amount of exceptional game design decisions here is remarkable. This is how you progress a series that had fallen into a defined groove.

This will most likely be my game of the year, It's that good.

EDIT: Very glad I didn't know about the rewind feature. There's been a couple of moments when I lost a solid chunk of pikmin to something new, unpredicted or unexpected where I would have been tempted. Dealing with that is part of the game.

100%'d the first 2 areas and are doing everything completionist style. Game's extremely dope so far, if maybe a little easy overall (with a few little "oh shit" challenging moments for sure). Love that the challenges from Pikmin 3 are part of the campaign now. We're about 40% through area 3 and the game definitely starts to pick up here.

If I miss anything from Pikmin 3, it's the way bosses were better integrated into the world. I was never really a gigantic fan of the cave emphasis that Pikmin 2 had over 1, since I liked exploring more natural environnents rather than areas that feel more "level designey" if that makes any sense.

Lookin forward to the rest of the game though. Most of my complaints are minor, and a lot of them are typical Nintendo-style QoL and user interface stuff.

Laughed out loud at Pikmin 2 being retconned as a dream by a random journal entry.

I love this series.

Yeah this feels like a Galaxy 2 situation, which was equally silly. Being said, I'm not close to finishing the story yet so hopefully the game proves me wrong.
Yeah it's a bit annoying especially as this has happened many times in Nintendo's case. The story in Pikmin isn't that important but continuity is always appreciated. It does seem odd to make it a reboot when there's a "4" in the title. But I suppose we'll see how it plays out.

I was extremely unsure about this game. Especially about the demo, but I decided I had nothing better to spend my voucher on, and jumped in.

Just something I find wild, was the difference in feeling with the demo and the game. Just the simple fact, of having a hard limit of the treasure you could collect in the demo, really fucks with my brain. It felt more like a punishment to collect treasure then anything. I went into the demo, with a little bit more open of a mind, and 100%it. I then bought the game.

Now, I gotta say. As someone who came into the series with Pikmin 3 on Wii U. I was moreso lukewarm on pikmin. Honestly, Pikmin 3 felt more like a tech demo than an honest to goodness game. It's insanely well designed. But the maps were tiny, the playthrough very short, and the story was a resounding eh. It's clear that the developers agreed too about the main story considering Deluxe's additions. It's also extremely clear, they spent so much time on their challenge mode. It's honestly where the majority of the content of the game is, but it's so disconnected from the content it's really easy to pass up. So Pikmin 3 just feels like this short disconnected experience, even though the developers put in all of this content. Like I said, it feels more like a tech demo, short, cute, well designed. But it doesn't have much girth to it.

Now, Pikmin 4 actually feels like a game. I am only in the second area and am approaching my playthrough time on Pikmin 3. It is so immensely satisfying getting better and better at the game naturally, instead of the developers expecting me to replay the game over and over(or reused maps). Honestly, the caves are so incredibly satisfying that it rubs that part of the brain that Zelda dungeons took. These caves can feel long, and merciless. And finally getting through one of those sucker is a rush. It really feels so much more satisfying.

I am really enjoying my time so far.

Happy Dandori for all of you.

I was kind of underwhelmed after initially starting on area 2 yesterday. It's really pretty, but at first it was just more of the same level design and mechanics from the demo but without the rapidfire upgrades making new things accessible. Then today I found the first actual bosses in the first caves with more than two floors, two new types of Pikmin, and unlocked night expeditions, so things picked way up.

I'm not sure if I should be embarrassed to have gotten completely destroyed multiple times by Emperor Bulblax, as someone who grew up with Pikmin 2. I guess technically I've never actually fought one before, because they were so easy to cheese with Purple Pikmin...

I was kind of underwhelmed after initially starting on area 2 yesterday. It's really pretty, but at first it was just more of the same level design and mechanics from the demo but without the rapidfire upgrades making new things accessible. Then today I found the first actual bosses in the first caves with more than two floors, two new types of Pikmin, and unlocked night expeditions, so things picked way up.

I'm not sure if I should be embarrassed to have gotten completely destroyed multiple times by Emperor Bulblax, as someone who grew up with Pikmin 2. I guess technically I've never actually fought one before, because they were so easy to cheese with Purple Pikmin...
Hint: use Oatchin charge with pikmins on back.

Hint: use Oatchin charge with pikmins on back.
That's what was getting me killed actually! He knocks you back if you try to start the fight like that, and then all the Pikmin go everywhere and he can easily crush the lot of them while you're trying to recover for another go. Once I made sure to trigger him from a distance and then aim for the face with my charge it went mostly fine, but those initial mistakes caused things to go south very quickly.

So what is the best way to divide your Pikmin forces between yourself and Oatchi? I just want to improve my Dandori.

Just beat the "first" part of the game in 17-18 hours. Reviews weren't kidding about the post game content, though. There is some cool shit here.

Back
Top Bottom