• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Pikmin 4 |ST| In Development and Very Close to Completion

What's your favorite Pikmin game before 4?

• Pikmin

Votes: 22 13.1%
  • Pikmin 2

Votes: 31 18.5%
  • Pikmin 3

Votes: 97 57.7%
  • Pikmin Bloom

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Hey! Pikmin (why would you pick this?)

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I’ve never played Pikmin before

Votes: 14 8.3%

• Total voters
One thing I don't understand is how does the fruit look way worse than Pikmin 3. Like, if you're going to make it worse you shoulda just reused the assets :p
I think they still look really nice but I was bummed to see the grapes are just carried as a single object now!

I gotta say, Night Expeditions have been pretty underwhelming. For the next game they should just incorporate nighttime naturally into the Day timer as a risk-reward type of situation, where you can squeeze extra accomplishments out of a day at the cost of strong aggressive enemies or something.

lmao i love how in every game Louie gets inexplicably more antagonistic and everyone just goes "Oh, Louie!" -sitcom theme music plays-

Also...I guess he really was controlling the Titan Dweevil...

Oof good thing Miyamoto can't see me play, the third area would have him pretty disappointed in my Dandori skills

I literally had to back out of that cave since I lost too many Pikmin to proceed

I've 100% completed every level except for the very last one and I haven't lost a single Pikmin

I cannot explain how much I like the Piklopedia in 4. I believe it's missing the pseudoscientific albeit funny descriptions but it otherwise provides exactly what I wished 2 had when I was a child, full interactivity with the critters. Speaking of which, the retake on the Creeping Chrysanthemum is amazing. That and also most classic enemies are comparatively way easier than before, but it's super cool to see their new versions.

4 is so far the first time I encounter myself with a "love letter" to the olden times, akin to what many people experience with remakes, reboots and long overdue sequels from other media; and it's been nothing short of magical despite the few caveats.

Last edited:
For someone who really hasn't cared much about Pikmin, would this be the game to change my mind on the series? I've got a spare NSO Game Voucher and I'm thinking either this or Warioware, but I haven't cared for Picking Men in the past. It does look really good though...

For someone who really hasn't cared much about Pikmin, would this be the game to change my mind on the series? I've got a spare NSO Game Voucher and I'm thinking either this or Warioware, but I haven't cared for Picking Men in the past. It does look really good though...
Go pick some men.

You could always try the demo if you haven't already.

As other said, try the demo. Ignore the rather large percentage of dialog and see if the gameplay clicks. Its really good imho.

They've finally made what I always wanted this series to be, a Pikmin game that is absolutely chill AF and just about exploring cut worlds with your little army and not being under a ton of pressure to get things done. Glad they dropped the multiple captains thing from 3, and VERY glad they brought back the caves.

Very likely this will be my favorite game in the series by a good margin.

Oh and the music is amazing. I see people saying it's not great but I can't help but feel it evokes great chill Pixar soundtracks like Up.

It might have already been mentioned in this thread, but calling the bright yellow paint tube “Illumination Goo” is a very cute touch.

The no enemy respawns on the overworld is interesting lol. It makes me feel bad for just letting their corpses sit there, like I have to bring them back to the onion to give them a proper burial.

I was very happy to see the Water Wraith return from Pikmin 2. Then I was very unhappy dealing with it lol.

I have all the Pikmin types now, I just need to collect all their onions so I can have a true Pikmin 2 Purple and White squad.

The problem is it looks like Purple and White onions are postgame.

Here we are, 100% almost done. I have a few little things left to do (and another one that might take a bit of time), but damn what a game.
As a long time fan, this new entry in the series was long waited and Nintendo delivered so much. That was so good, with sooooo much things to do. Even in my wildest dreams I wouldn't come up with something like that lmao.
To me there is no discussion possible anymore, Pikmin 4 IS the best game of the series, and not only that but it takes the séries to a whole new level of quality. And I'm still saying this as a long time fan. I loved every Pikmin game but this one is just too good.

Well, Pikmin (1) will stay my favorite game of all time, but wow, WHAT A GAME.

So I unlocked area 3, but haven't had any night missions. Do I need to do something from my end to activate them or will eventually get them?

So I unlocked area 3, but haven't had any night missions. Do I need to do something from my end to activate them or will eventually get them?
Have you found Yonny/the doctor yet? They're the one you talk to to do night missions.

Speaking of night missions, I’m doing my first one now, and I’ve managed to get every glow pellet on the map (including the ones that the big Bulborb drops), but that still only leaves me at 98 Glow Pikmin… I assume there must be a way to get 100 Glow Pikmin, and therefore get 20 Glow Seeds instead of 19 (as it seems you get 1 Glow Seed for every 5 Glow Pikmin), but I have absolutely no idea what I’m missing here…

Who else got past the credits? When I spoke to a certain character that joins the hub, and they tell their tale, my jaw dropped. This is such a generous game

Holy shit at one of the caves in the 3rd area.
Submerged Castle is back for revenge!!

I don't think I've been as addicted to something in a video game as much as I am to Platinum-ing Dandori Challenges, at least not for a while

It’s pretty wild how much longer this game is than the first 3. I never expected anything longer than 2 but this is probably more than double that.

For a series so known for its speed runs, it’s gonna be interesting to see how they go for this game.

I love how much variety this game has, between the regular exploration, caves, night missions, and Dandori battles/challenges

The Dandori Challenges especially are a highlight, just super fun to race against the clock. No time to stop, only murder, and dandori

Dandori battles, however, are more mixed. It feels like a crapshoot, if your opponent decides to play well, you're probably screwed. On the flipside, I just platinum'd Battle in a Box, the Ice Pikmin one, because the computer got its ass kicked by a large Bulbax, and then decided to just stop functioning for the rest of the match. I won 183 - 25.

Engulfed Cave was awesome fan service. That enemy deserved the moment. Good reward too after all those floors too
I gotta say, Night Expeditions have been pretty underwhelming. For the next game they should just incorporate nighttime naturally into the Day timer as a risk-reward type of situation, where you can squeeze extra accomplishments out of a day at the cost of strong aggressive enemies or something.
That's a really good idea.

at6ahwY.png

Okay, I just faced the boss in the Below Grade Discotheque Sub-Cave. I'm crying lmao. That was hilarious AND and a nice challenge.

As much as I’m loving this game, I can’t help but feel like it has less Dandori to it than Pikmin 3… Not only does it have half as many battle stages, but it has less captains to control too, and so far I don’t feel like anything in the game has come as close to the pure, raw Dandori that Pikmin 3’s Mission Mode and Bingo Battle offered…

As much as I’m loving this game, I can’t help but feel like it has less Dandori to it than Pikmin 3… Not only does it have half as many battle stages, but it has less captains to control too, and so far I don’t feel like anything in the game has come as close to the pure, raw Dandori that Pikmin 3’s Mission Mode and Bingo Battle offered…
3 had battle maps added in as DLC, so I'm not sure what what the count would be compared to vanilla.

The gamepad controls with Pikmin 3 helped the logistical portion the game too, it's hard to replicate. I bet they went back down to 2 captains because 3 wouldn't fit well for caves.

Quoted by: Tye
I really haven’t gotten to play more than 2 or 3 hours since the whole thing unlocked. Game playing time has been very limited these past few weeks, but im excited to jump in after work tonight. Ill split my time between this and trying to finish ffxvi

Back
Top Bottom