• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Pikmin 4 |ST| In Development and Very Close to Completion

What's your favorite Pikmin game before 4?

• Pikmin

Votes: 22 13.1%
  • Pikmin 2

Votes: 31 18.5%
  • Pikmin 3

Votes: 97 57.7%
  • Pikmin Bloom

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Hey! Pikmin (why would you pick this?)

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I’ve never played Pikmin before

Votes: 14 8.3%

• Total voters
This game is properly fun. Started it last night and only really stopped for sleep. After spending a while kinda grinding through games chasing satisfaction instead of enjoyment, this and TOTK have really reminded me how much bloody fun you can have playing a really well-crafted, exciting experience.

Something something Miyamoto and story.
Eh, doesn't really feel like that, given there's honestly more of a story here than in previous games

They probably just felt that this story/gameplay fit better as this sort of reboot/alternate timeline

Very happy with the game. Almost done the third area 100%. The only genuine flaw as far as I’m concerned is the pikmin limitations. Not the raw numbers. It’s fine that they make you upgrade that over time because it doesn’t take that long to get a good number. But the type limitation is bad. It makes sense that they didn’t want to let you run around with all 8 or 9 types, but the least they could do is cap it at 5 instead of 3. I also have no idea if they give you new onion types beside red, yellow, and blue later. But if they do they should’ve absolutely introduced them earlier. At the very least give us an ice onion earlier.

Other than that the game is basically perfect. I could say that they should’ve had an ultra spicy mode with an overall game day limit since I still believe that brings the rest of the mechanics together. But the game is again just pure fun like the others, and it’s nice to play a game that is relatively devoid of modern trends while also feeling like it has a lot of content and a solid budget.

Oh, also the gear system is bad. Lol. There’s a lot of little things about the game, honestly. But it’s still great.

This game is great, I'm happy to be sucked into another Pikmin game after bouncing off Pikmin 3.

First two areas at 100%, working on the third now.

Very happy with the game. Almost done the third area 100%. The only genuine flaw as far as I’m concerned is the pikmin limitations. Not the raw numbers. It’s fine that they make you upgrade that over time because it doesn’t take that long to get a good number. But the type limitation is bad. It makes sense that they didn’t want to let you run around with all 8 or 9 types, but the least they could do is cap it at 5 instead of 3. I also have no idea if they give you new onion types beside red, yellow, and blue later. But if they do they should’ve absolutely introduced them earlier. At the very least give us an ice onion earlier.

Other than that the game is basically perfect. I could say that they should’ve had an ultra spicy mode with an overall game day limit since I still believe that brings the rest of the mechanics together. But the game is again just pure fun like the others, and it’s nice to play a game that is relatively devoid of modern trends while also feeling like it has a lot of content and a solid budget.

Oh, also the gear system is bad. Lol. There’s a lot of little things about the game, honestly. But it’s still great.
What's bad about the gear system? I personally think it's integrated really well here.

What's bad about the gear system? I personally think it's integrated really well here.
90% of it is “make you and oatchi invincible” or “invalidate interesting mechanics by having pikmin just come back to you from wherever”. Also the items let you stack up on tons of powerful stuff instead of finding them out in the world.

I think it’s incredibly uninteresting, and it’s not fun for me when a game has a progression system that I can’t use or else it’ll ruin the game for me. So now I’m sitting on a bunch of gems with nothing to spend them on. And every side quest rewards you with more gems. So now, because they balanced the reward and progression structure around the lowest common denominator, I don’t get to partake. So naturally I don’t enjoy that.

After 5 hours, I feel pretty secure saying that Pikmin 4 slaps. I know a lot of folks loved 3, but it was a bit of a disappointment to me on the heels of 2. This, though? This is the sequel I've been waiting nearly 20 years for. It takes my favorite aspects of 2 and expands on them while adding layers of polish on top of the already extremely polished Pikmin 3.

The only critique I have so far is so minor it's barely worth mentioning: Does anyone else feel like it's time to put the time limit to bed completely? Having a timer was obviously important in 1, far less so in 2, and relatively consequential in 3. Here it feels like a vestige of the franchise that is just here because it always has been. At this point, I would rather it just stay daytime until you opt to return to base.
I would say the time limit per day is one of the key cornerstones of a Pikmin game. I don't mind them removing the overall day limit (even if I prefer it overall), but you need some level of friction in a game that's meant to be all about using your resources in the most efficient way possible and multitasking. I'm not hugely down for the series to lose its identity completely and devolve into something much more generic.

Limits of some kind are mandatory for these mechanics to have any meaning. I know some people don’t like that, but it is what it is. It’s game design, plain and simple.

I understand both sides of the Rewind argument and I think it could have satisfied both parties by implementing difficulty modes. It is what it is, though.
The rewind isn’t about the game being too hard it’s that sometimes jank happens (e.g. a Pikmin gets trapped in a corner), or sometimes something surprising happens you had no warning for (a new enemy appears out of nowhere and literally steamrolls your group). Sure, now you know and can adjust your run next time but it’s just obnoxious making a player replay what may have been an already great day. Especially since you could’ve done multiple caves and dandori challenges on that day.

Really enjoying this, just got the first 2 areas 100% finished. This game is so content heavy if feels like they took literally every idea from the first 3 Pikmin games and crammed them in.

You got a really balanced split of the surface area exploration of Pikmin 1 and 3, with a decent chunk of caves like Pikmin 2. They also use Pikmin 3's side modes cleverly in the campaign to rescue leaflings.

90% of it is “make you and oatchi invincible” or “invalidate interesting mechanics by having pikmin just come back to you from wherever”. Also the items let you stack up on tons of powerful stuff instead of finding them out in the world.

I think it’s incredibly uninteresting, and it’s not fun for me when a game has a progression system that I can’t use or else it’ll ruin the game for me. So now I’m sitting on a bunch of gems with nothing to spend them on. And every side quest rewards you with more gems. So now, because they balanced the reward and progression structure around the lowest common denominator, I don’t get to partake. So naturally I don’t enjoy that.

You spend the gems on building structures in the levels, which cost a lot.

You run out of key items to buy pretty quickly, anyway. I don't buy this whole "I have nothing to spend raw material on" thing

The only genuine flaw as far as I’m concerned is the pikmin limitations.

This isn't a flaw, it's a well thought out design choice. You would be complaining the game is too easy if they did allow more Pikmin.

The limitations invite strategy, which is the whole essence of the game. It's the reason why we still have a time of day limit.

This isn't a flaw, it's a well thought out design choice. You would be complaining the game is too easy if they did allow more Pikmin.

The limitations invite strategy, which is the whole essence of the game. It's the reason why we still have a time of day limit.
Yeah, limiting you to 3 types is absolutely a design choice. It lets them design entire areas far more tightly

loving this so much, might be my new favorite Pikmin. got a few nitpicks of course but even some of the things I didn’t like about 3 that have been retained work way better in this game. otherwise it’s everything and (way, way) more than I could’ve wanted from a contemporary Pikmin game

fully cleared the first three areas so far and definitely plan to go for 100% on this playthrough

the alternate title screen (not sure specifically what triggers it, because I swear I’d gone back to the title screen after rolling credits and didn’t see it) is so great. it really scared me for a sec when it zoomed out of the TV lol

I think it's fair for a person to consider a design choice a flaw. I don't mind it but I can see why others wouldn't.
A flaw is a defect. This isn't a defect, it's just something they don't like. That doesn't make it defective.

There's a difference between disliking the way something is implemented and straight up calling it a "genuine flaw". One is admitting that it works for people but not for you, the other is not taking ownership over your opinion and just lazily blaming something.

My biggest achievement so far (late game warning)

So far I'm really enjoying the game. Though the longer it goes on the more problems I find with it, so I'm not sure if I can be counted in the "skeptical fan is impressed" corner just yet. Some super early general impresssions so far after probably about 8-10 hours of gameplay:

Good
  • The game brought the difficulty of encounters back. I'm not sure I'd say it's as hard as the original games, but its a nice balance of challenge, and not always having your balls crushed.
  • Probably even more important, the game brings back a lot of the more specific Pikmin based puzzle solving, which is REALLY impressive considering this is the game with the most Pikmin and Oatchi serves a lot of uses. As much as I love Pikmin 3, having Pikmin differences only be as important as what walls they can destroy until near the end of the game where you got Blue Pikmin / Flying Pikmin was certainly a design choice. Theres a lot more traps, elemental enemies, or height challenges and while its nothing mind blowing it balances out most of the roles nicely. Pikmin don't have the density of roles that they did in 1 maybe but that's to be expected with so many of them now (and in some ways that's good, I mean remember how OP Yellow Pikmin were?).
  • There are a ton of creatures, this really brings the Pikmin 2 feeling back of "what the fuck is this?" when you see them, even if they're from past games they're just so weird and at times threatening. All the new designs are AMAZING and I love that they brought back my favorite creature in the series.
  • The Dandori challenges are great! I love that they found a way to incorporate Pikmin 3's challenge missions and multiplayer into the game, and they're actually challenging to get the best medal possible in. Though I'm not sure if I like them enough to perfect them.
  • The games use of multiple ways to complete a task is pretty good and doesn't conflict much with the strategy element, which is nice
  • I think I sort of like the implementation of sparklium? Despite having worries about it pre-launch. Though I will say having Pikmin go and fetch stuff from your onion to complete projects seems weirdly out of tune with the more adventurous vibes of the game, some of the time I just wish the items were on a set point closer on the map.
Bad
  • As much as I love the return to a more challenging game, Pikmin's more challenging combat sections have always been a double edged sword imo. Like, I like it, but the fact that you sometimes have to very rigidly kill an enemy in a specific way leads to some moments of trial and error where you won't realize you were doing something wrong until its too late, which feels particularly shit if you care about losing Pikmin like I do. It's a necessary part of the game I suppose, but something I only enjoy half the time unless it was something that was super obvious in retrospect.
  • I still have a little bit of cave PTSD from Pikmin 2 that hasn't been completely erased by this game. While the caves are genuinely well designed here, there's definitely some times where I feel I'm spending way too much time in them considering how drab and boring they are compared to the actual level itself. I think this game didn't address a big problem with how Pikmin 2 contextualized caves in that a lot of the time you'll be mostly done with an area and because of the way the game progresses almost all you have left to do is the caves themselves. Which leaves them feeling like boring repetitive "cleanup" that you have to do, especially since you'll often have two or more to do back to back. I really don't think caves have to be monotonous and I do like them sometimes but I wish the structure emphasized a shakeup more like surface area --> cave --> surface area --> cave, because caves are at their best when they feel like a distraction from the normal Pikmin gameplay. Instead it feels like once you've done a few caves you have enough sparklium to go to the next area with most of the surface map done already, leaving only a few minutes of surface area cleanup and then the most repetitive part of the game for last.
  • I really think the redo function isn't a bad inclusion and I've even liked using it a few times already but making it so you can redo deaths in caves rather than just restarting a floor is a bad design choice imo. The whole point of caves is that each floor is self-contained and fairly short but that the obstacles are dangerous enough that you have to be careful. Making the player restart that floor when they used redo would have been better balancing since it would be a consequence for performing poorly, in the overworld it makes way more sense to have liberal redo checkpoints as you're on a timer and there's a lot more that can go wrong that the player won't anticipate and paths are so big that redoing everything would be repetitive.
  • I like that treasure is hidden, but man, it feels like shit when you almost 100% an area on your third or fourth day on it, and you're stuck at 99% because despite already finding 3 or more buried treasures there's still one somewhere on this giant map. Honestly kind of infuriating.
  • This is more a guess than anything but I really can't imagine Blue Pikmin will be that important given how much functions Oatchi facilitates.

So far I'm really enjoying the game. Though the longer it goes on the more problems I find with it, so I'm not sure if I can be counted in the "skeptical fan is impressed" corner just yet. Some super early general impresssions so far after probably about 8-10 hours of gameplay:

Good
  • The game brought the difficulty of encounters back. I'm not sure I'd say it's as hard as the original games, but its a nice balance of challenge, and not always having your balls crushed.
  • Probably even more important, the game brings back a lot of the more specific Pikmin based puzzle solving, which is REALLY impressive considering this is the game with the most Pikmin and Oatchi serves a lot of uses. As much as I love Pikmin 3, having Pikmin differences only be as important as what walls they can destroy until near the end of the game where you got Blue Pikmin / Flying Pikmin was certainly a design choice. Theres a lot more traps, elemental enemies, or height challenges and while its nothing mind blowing it balances out most of the roles nicely. Pikmin don't have the density of roles that they did in 1 maybe but that's to be expected with so many of them now (and in some ways that's good, I mean remember how OP Yellow Pikmin were?).
  • There are a ton of creatures, this really brings the Pikmin 2 feeling back of "what the fuck is this?" when you see them, even if they're from past games they're just so weird and at times threatening. All the new designs are AMAZING and I love that they brought back my favorite creature in the series.
  • The Dandori challenges are great! I love that they found a way to incorporate Pikmin 3's challenge missions and multiplayer into the game, and they're actually challenging to get the best medal possible in. Though I'm not sure if I like them enough to perfect them.
  • The games use of multiple ways to complete a task is pretty good and doesn't conflict much with the strategy element, which is nice
  • I think I sort of like the implementation of sparklium? Despite having worries about it pre-launch. Though I will say having Pikmin go and fetch stuff from your onion to complete projects seems weirdly out of tune with the more adventurous vibes of the game, some of the time I just wish the items were on a set point closer on the map.
Bad
  • As much as I love the return to a more challenging game, Pikmin's more challenging combat sections have always been a double edged sword imo. Like, I like it, but the fact that you sometimes have to very rigidly kill an enemy in a specific way leads to some moments of trial and error where you won't realize you were doing something wrong until its too late, which feels particularly shit if you care about losing Pikmin like I do. It's a necessary part of the game I suppose, but something I only enjoy half the time unless it was something that was super obvious in retrospect.
  • I still have a little bit of cave PTSD from Pikmin 2 that hasn't been completely erased by this game. While the caves are genuinely well designed here, there's definitely some times where I feel I'm spending way too much time in them considering how drab and boring they are compared to the actual level itself. I think this game didn't address a big problem with how Pikmin 2 contextualized caves in that a lot of the time you'll be mostly done with an area and because of the way the game progresses almost all you have left to do is the caves themselves. Which leaves them feeling like boring repetitive "cleanup" that you have to do, especially since you'll often have two or more to do back to back. I really don't think caves have to be monotonous and I do like them sometimes but I wish the structure emphasized a shakeup more like surface area --> cave --> surface area --> cave, because caves are at their best when they feel like a distraction from the normal Pikmin gameplay. Instead it feels like once you've done a few caves you have enough sparklium to go to the next area with most of the surface map done already, leaving only a few minutes of surface area cleanup and then the most repetitive part of the game for last.
  • I really think the redo function isn't a bad inclusion and I've even liked using it a few times already but making it so you can redo deaths in caves rather than just restarting a floor is a bad design choice imo. The whole point of caves is that each floor is self-contained and fairly short but that the obstacles are dangerous enough that you have to be careful. Making the player restart that floor when they used redo would have been better balancing since it would be a consequence for performing poorly, in the overworld it makes way more sense to have liberal redo checkpoints as you're on a timer and there's a lot more that can go wrong that the player won't anticipate and paths are so big that redoing everything would be repetitive.
  • I like that treasure is hidden, but man, it feels like shit when you almost 100% an area on your third or fourth day on it, and you're stuck at 99% because despite already finding 3 or more buried treasures there's still one somewhere on this giant map. Honestly kind of infuriating.
  • This is more a guess than anything but I really can't imagine Blue Pikmin will be that important given how much functions Oatchi facilitates.
Just have Oatchi sniff out hidden treasure, he’ll take you right to it

You spend the gems on building structures in the levels, which cost a lot.

You run out of key items to buy pretty quickly, anyway. I don't buy this whole "I have nothing to spend raw material on" thing

I have not bought 90% of the gear, and I’m not going to, and I stopped buying items immediately after walking into a boss fight with full bombs and decimating it in two seconds. It’s overturned, and if I want the game to be fun, I have to ignore it. And therefore, I have a surplus of gems. So the reward structure doesn’t work for me. So I don’t like it.

The structures don’t cost enough to offset this either, and besides I don’t think it’s fun to build structure from gems I already have on hand anyway. It’d be more fun if the pieces to the structures were placed within the levels like they were in 3. Basically, it’s a good thing the game is insanely fun without this, because the rewards for the side quests are 30 gems when I’m sitting on like 500. Lol.

“I don’t buy [what you’re saying]”

We’ll it’s the truth so I dunno what else to tell ya.

I literally just said this three posts above yours. But not every decision is immune from criticism. I think the 3 pikmin type limit is both too restrictive, and doesn’t invite much strategy at all, specifically because of how the game handles other things. Like how game tells you what pikmin you should use. That doesn’t promote strategy. (on the surface, that is. Of course all the limitations work great in the caves with the more curated levels. Limiting your types and telling you which ones to bring is basically mandatory for how caves work). It’s especially egregious when you don’t have a way of renewing certain pikmin types without going back into caves you’ve already done. That’s a pretty pointless grind that could’ve been avoided by just giving us more onion types (which they may do later. I just finished getting 100% in the third area, so if they do later, I think they definitely should have introduced them more steadily throughout the levels).

A five type limit, along with easier resupply of certain types, and not telling you what types you need above ground, would have been better for me. Also don’t forget that the more types you have on hand, the less pikmin you can have per type. Which I believe actually leads to more strategy, not less. It would probably be unreasonable to expect the player to handle every single type at once, though, so I think 5 out of 8 would be a good compromise. By limiting it to 3, they basically painted themselves into a corner and had to tell us what pikmin we’d need or else people would get annoyed and overwhelmed by constantly running up against challenges that they could complete without going back to the onion. So I genuinely don’t think it’s a very well thought out decision.

That said, this annoyance really only applies to ice pikmin so far where I’m at. There’s many needs and uses for them on the surface, whereas the other types are basically not needed at all so far. But they decided to treat ice pikmin like the others that are only used underground (so far). So honestly, they could get away with a four pikmin limit, and wouldn’t even need to go up to 5.

Which is a long way to say that I don’t think the pikmin type limit creates any meaningful strategy at all on the surface stages, and isn’t actually that well thought out.

The further I go in the game the less I find myself using Oatchi's rush attack to send Pikmin on an enemy. Feels like enemy encounters are way more meaningful this way.

I have not bought 90% of the gear, and I’m not going to, and I stopped buying items immediately after walking into a boss fight with full bombs and decimating it in two seconds. It’s overturned, and if I want the game to be fun, I have to ignore it. And therefore, I have a surplus of gems. So the reward structure doesn’t work for me. So I don’t like it.

The structures don’t cost enough to offset this either, and besides I don’t think it’s fun to build structure from gems I already have on hand anyway. It’d be more fun if the pieces to the structures were placed within the levels like they were in 3. Basically, it’s a good thing the game is insanely fun without this, because the rewards for the side quests are 30 gems when I’m sitting on like 500. Lol.

“I don’t buy [what you’re saying]”

We’ll it’s the truth so I dunno what else to tell ya.
It's weird you're saying this because like 90% of the gear in Pikmin 4 is just...the same gear in Pikmin 2-3 except instead you can build it instead of finding it. As for the structures, I don't get the "fun" aspect? Both places were just "Pikmin go to A -> B to complete something. And where they are located aren't too far off from your base if you are moving them compared to where they would be with Pimin 3's locations. Are you talking about the various special items? Sure I find those slightly overpowered but I mainly use them in Nightmode. There's one area in particular where you can set some mines to stop large groups of enemies.

I literally just said this three posts above yours. But not every decision is immune from criticism. I think the 3 pikmin type limit is both too restrictive, and doesn’t invite much strategy at all, specifically because of how the game handles other things. Like how game tells you what pikmin you should use. That doesn’t promote strategy. (on the surface, that is. Of course all the limitations work great in the caves with the more curated levels. Limiting your types and telling you which ones to bring is basically mandatory for how caves work). It’s especially egregious when you don’t have a way of renewing certain pikmin types without going back into caves you’ve already done. That’s a pretty pointless grind that could’ve been avoided by just giving us more onion types (which they may do later. I just finished getting 100% in the third area, so if they do later, I think they definitely should have introduced them more steadily throughout the levels).

A five type limit, along with easier resupply of certain types, and not telling you what types you need above ground, would have been better for me. Also don’t forget that the more types you have on hand, the less pikmin you can have per type. Which I believe actually leads to more strategy, not less. It would probably be unreasonable to expect the player to handle every single type at once, though, so I think 5 out of 8 would be a good compromise. By limiting it to 3, they basically painted themselves into a corner and had to tell us what pikmin we’d need or else people would get annoyed and overwhelmed by constantly running up against challenges that they could complete without going back to the onion. So I genuinely don’t think it’s a very well thought out decision.

That said, this annoyance really only applies to ice pikmin so far where I’m at. There’s many needs and uses for them on the surface, whereas the other types are basically not needed at all so far. But they decided to treat ice pikmin like the others that are only used underground (so far). So honestly, they could get away with a four pikmin limit, and wouldn’t even need to go up to 5.

Which is a long way to say that I don’t think the pikmin type limit creates any meaningful strategy at all on the surface stages, and isn’t actually that well thought out.
Why do you need so many Ice Pikmin? I just 100% the first three areas and while I do think Ice Pikmin are currently the most useful surface Pikmin (Glow Pikmin in proper number are the most broken pikmin in the game), you don't need any more than what you have to do everything.

Man, I can't get Platinum in a single Dandori Battle, but I can get it pretty easily in Dandori Challenges. My Dandori is all weird, it seems.

A flaw is a defect. This isn't a defect, it's just something they don't like. That doesn't make it defective.

There's a difference between disliking the way something is implemented and straight up calling it a "genuine flaw". One is admitting that it works for people but not for you, the other is not taking ownership over your opinion and just lazily blaming something.
If you Google what a "flaw" is, it's defined as "a mark, fault, or other imperfection that mars a substance or object." Which is basically just a negative criticism. If someone sees a feature as a flaw to the game, that's totally fair.

Honestly, the truly broken item in Pikmin 4 is Co-Op mode. Player 2 essentially gets a machine gun and can decimate enemies for easier than even doing the Freeze enemies method.

This is, like, the majority of my issue with most video game “criticism” out there. People objectively calling things flaws that are really just design choices that they personally don’t like, but that doesn’t mean they’re objectively bad. You can criticize what you don’t like about a game without making it into a black-or-white thing where you’re essentially acting as an arbiter of what’s truly “good” or “bad” and I wish more people would take that kind of approach.

I would say the time limit per day is one of the key cornerstones of a Pikmin game. I don't mind them removing the overall day limit (even if I prefer it overall), but you need some level of friction in a game that's meant to be all about using your resources in the most efficient way possible and multitasking. I'm not hugely down for the series to lose its identity completely and devolve into something much more generic.
Yeah, I know. My point is that this specific limit is so superficial now that there is no limit to the number of days spent exploring. I think there are much more important aspects of Pikmin‘s identity that wouldn’t be negatively affected by making this specific change.

That said, I really don’t care. I love this game and this specific limit doesn’t bother me. I was just musing about its importance.

It's weird you're saying this because like 90% of the gear in Pikmin 4 is just...the same gear in Pikmin 2-3 except instead you can build it instead of finding it. As for the structures, I don't get the "fun" aspect? Both places were just "Pikmin go to A -> B to complete something. And where they are located aren't too far off from your base if you are moving them compared to where they would be with Pimin 3's locations. Are you talking about the various special items? Sure I find those slightly overpowered but I mainly use them in Nightmode. There's one area in particular where you can set some mines to stop large groups of enemies.

Why do you need so many Ice Pikmin? I just 100% the first three areas and while I do think Ice Pikmin are currently the most useful surface Pikmin (Glow Pikmin in proper number are the most broken pikmin in the game), you don't need any more than what you have to do everything.
I’m talking about how I’m not going to buy gear that makes oatchi and myself immune to all the different damage sources. Lol. The majority of gear doesn’t just enhance you. It completely negates certain aspects of the game. I’ve always hated it when games do that kind of thing. So I’d like it if the gear was less powerful and more interesting. And of course it’s more fun to have pikmin find stuff on the map instead of having it in your inventory. It’s the whole point of the game after all.

And I needed ice pikmin because they died! Lol. I got caught off guard in a cave and lost a bunch of them. Of course I would like to be able to grow them in an onion instead going back into a cave. Just to get like, ten at most (And don’t bother mentioning the rewind feature, I’m not using it).

So again, unless I missed something, the game is set up so that if you lose certain pikmin types, there’s no good way to get them back. You either rewind (lame) or grind caves (boring). If they had made it so those pikmin only existed in caves and couldn’t be used on the surface at all I wouldn’t mind it. Just like how glow pikmin are limited to specific areas. But I need ice pikmin for those jellies and freezing some waters, so it’s not great how onions and pikmin propagation work in this game.

It’s band-aid solutions to made up problems.

Funny enough, though. Despite these issues, which I do think are pretty big, this will probably end up being my favorite pikmin since everything else is so strong.

This is, like, the majority of my issue with most video game “criticism” out there. People objectively calling things flaws that are really just design choices that they personally don’t like, but that doesn’t mean they’re objectively bad. You can criticize what you don’t like about a game without making it into a black-or-white thing where you’re essentially acting as an arbiter of what’s truly “good” or “bad” and I wish more people would take that kind of approach.

If anything I’d say it’s the opposite. People should stop nitpicking everyone else’s word choice and “umm well, actually”- ing everything. Acting like people can’t use the word “flaw” and getting into semantics over dictionary definitions is hardly compelling discussion. It’s pedantic.

is there a consistent way to change the camera angle when you're using the Survey Drone? I want to use it more for dandori planning but it always tilts to a less useful angle after like two seconds of moving around, really feels like I must be missing something

To be fair, there's a pretty big difference between finding gear late in the game that negates certain status ailments, and having all those upgrades available to you in a menu from almost the very beginning for big but not that expensive prices. You can negate almost everything for you and Oatchi very early on. Given that that's a lot of the upgrades, I get the complaint that the games economy only works if the player overpowers themselves. Too many of the upgrades ruin concepts in the game. I also don't think it's comparable since Oatchi is a new addition and while negating Captain status ailments doesn't really ruin the point of Pikmin, negating ailments for Oatchi almost feels like having a free Pikmin and Captain all in one.

I'm personally ignoring those upgrades.

Yeah, I know. My point is that this specific limit is so superficial now that there is no limit to the number of days spent exploring. I think there are much more important aspects of Pikmin‘s identity that wouldn’t be negatively affected by making this specific change.

That said, I really don’t care. I love this game and this specific limit doesn’t bother me. I was just musing about its importance.

There’s definitely some truth to this. If you take away the big thing, some of the little things don’t function like they used to. I still think the day time limit is needed because at the very least it’s trying to get players to engage with the mechanics. Also the home base helps with this a lot. The loop of go out, do what you can, then go back to base to see what has changed does a lot to add meaning to the structure.

There’s definitely some truth to this. If you take away the big thing, some of the little things don’t function like they used to. I still think the day time limit is needed because at the very least it’s trying to get players to engage with the mechanics. Also the home base helps with this a lot. The loop of go out, do what you can, then go back to base to see what has changed does a lot to add meaning to the structure.
While I agree with your general idea, I also believe that many players (most) would engage with the mechanics anyways. I don’t think most players would just sit around and do nothing just because there is no illusion of a deadline.

I’m talking about how I’m not going to buy gear that makes oatchi and myself immune to all the different damage sources. Lol. The majority of gear doesn’t just enhance you. It completely negates certain aspects of the game. I’ve always hated it when games do that kind of thing. So I’d like it if the gear was less powerful and more interesting. And of course it’s more fun to have pikmin find stuff on the map instead of having it in your inventory. It’s the whole point of the game after all.
I don’t think having your avatar and Oatchi become immune to elements is really as big of a deal as you make it out to be, considering that it has no effect on your Pikmin, which are way more vulnerable than your avatar or Oatchi. There’s rarely any major threat to your avatar or Oatchi, even without gear, while there’s constantly threats to your Pikmin’s lives. I guess it depends on how you go about playing the game, but for me these kind of things are mostly just appreciated conveniences that barely impact difficulty because, to me, the difficulty in Pikmin games is always about minimizing Pikmin deaths. And while Rewind makes it less frustrating and time consuming to do in Pikmin 4, it’s still no easy task at all to keep your Pikmin from dying. If you want more difficulty, rather than avoid spending your material on gear, I’d recommend to try going for a no Pikmin deaths run! It actually seems decently manageable in this game thanks to Rewind and other conveniences, while still being a great challenge. That would also solve your issue with Ice Pikmin, too, because there’s no need to grind for more if you don’t lose any to begin with! lol Or even if you don’t go for a strict zero death run, just limiting the amount of Pikmin deaths in general will encourage safer, smarter play and better Dandori overall, while simultaneously offering a greater challenge than not worrying as much about Pikmin deaths.

But ultimately there are many ways to approach Pikmin 4, and I think that’s what’s so great about it; it’s by far the most open-ended, approachable Pikmin game yet, offering a variety of different styles to play the game, allowing everyone to play it in their own way with as much or little challenge as they want by setting their own goals—the latter of which being something that’s always kinda been a thing about Pikmin.

If anything I’d say it’s the opposite. People should stop nitpicking everyone else’s word choice and “umm well, actually”- ing everything. Acting like people can’t use the word “flaw” and getting into semantics over dictionary definitions is hardly compelling discussion. It’s pedantic.
My comment wasn’t just about people’s use of the word “flaw”—it’s about people essentially calling things (or entire games) objectively bad. Instead of what they could do, like saying “I personally don’t care for this because [reason],” or “this element/game will likely be appreciated by [specific kind of gamer] but [another type of gamer] may take issue with it,” etc., rather than deciding that something is bad and talking about it as if you’re speaking in absolutes, which is what a ton of video game criticism amounts to. Like, I wish more game reviewers and such would adopt an approach more like that, because it’s more truthful and honestly more responsible overall, especially when it’s so common for people to completely shape their opinions on things largely based on what they read/hear other people online say about it, which leads to situations where huge groups of people share very specific opinions on games that they’ve never even played themselves (and likely have no intention to do so, either), which they then continue to parrot to others which only further contributes to the spread of very negatively biased and/or misinformed views on things.

To be fair, there's a pretty big difference between finding gear late in the game that negates certain status ailments, and having all those upgrades available to you in a menu from almost the very beginning for big but not that expensive prices. You can negate almost everything for you and Oatchi very early on. Given that that's a lot of the upgrades, I get the complaint that the games economy only works if the player overpowers themselves. Too many of the upgrades ruin concepts in the game. I also don't think it's comparable since Oatchi is a new addition and while negating Captain status ailments doesn't really ruin the point of Pikmin, negating ailments for Oatchi almost feels like having a free Pikmin and Captain all in one.

I don't like the raw material economy and would not like it to return. The only time I found the system interesting was during the first area, and in self contained dandori levels where they function as a 2-step bridge/wall pieces. I think they are an improvement on the Pikmin 3 building pieces in that they arent tied to specific structures, which opens up the level design and offers some player choice, as well as the fact that you dont have to worry about clearing paths except back to base. But I don't think they should be used to purchase stuff or carry between levels. They also weakened the appeal of consumables like bomb rocks.

Last edited:
And I needed ice pikmin because they died! Lol. I got caught off guard in a cave and lost a bunch of them. Of course I would like to be able to grow them in an onion instead going back into a cave. Just to get like, ten at most (And don’t bother mentioning the rewind feature, I’m not using it).

So again, unless I missed something, the game is set up so that if you lose certain pikmin types, there’s no good way to get them back. You either rewind (lame) or grind caves (boring). If they had made it so those pikmin only existed in caves and couldn’t be used on the surface at all I wouldn’t mind it. Just like how glow pikmin are limited to specific areas. But I need ice pikmin for those jellies and freezing some waters, so it’s not great how onions and pikmin propagation work in this game.
But if you really need the Ice Onion, you can just move on to the later areas? Like, you're skipping option 3: "Go to the next area until I find the Ice Onion." The mainline story allows you to quickly move to all the areas needed to get the items you need.

But if you really need the Ice Onion, you can just move on to the later areas? Like, you're skipping option 3: "Go to the next area until I find the Ice Onion." The mainline story allows you to quickly move to all the areas needed to get the items you need.
Or I could not do that and 100% each area before I move on.

It’s nice to know that’s there’s more onions later. That’s one of my issues with the game taken care of, and that’ll make replays more fun. But ultimately I think the game would still be better served by introducing more earlier. At least that way it would facilitate both of its possible play styles.

My comment wasn’t just about people’s use of the word “flaw”—it’s about people essentially calling things (or entire games) objectively bad. Instead of what they could do, like saying “I personally don’t care for this because [reason],” or “this element/game will likely be appreciated by [specific kind of gamer] but [another type of gamer] may take issue with it,” etc., rather than deciding that something is bad and talking about it as if you’re speaking in absolutes, which is what a ton of video game criticism amounts to. Like, I wish more game reviewers and such would adopt an approach more like that, because it’s more truthful and honestly more responsible overall, especially when it’s so common for people to completely shape their opinions on things largely based on what they read/hear other people online say about it, which leads to situations where huge groups of people share very specific opinions on games that they’ve never even played themselves (and likely have no intention to do so, either), which they then continue to parrot to others which only further contributes to the spread of very negatively biased and/or misinformed views on things.
People don’t talk that way in real life so they aren’t gonna talk that way on forums. People don’t like adding a million qualifiers to each sentence in order to ward off people who already know what they mean in the first place and simply care more about them saying it exactly to their preferences.

As for the rest of your comment, it’s way too patronizing for me to take seriously, so I’ll just let it go.

Why don't you stop waiting for the game to prove something to you and just enjoy Pikmin 4
It's good, I'm very much enjoying it. Admittedly the story is one of the least important aspects about Pikmin. But I just don't like these type of reboots and hope it's some ruse for a late game twist. Didn't like it when Galaxy 2 and Star Fox Zero did it too.

Or I could not do that and 100% each area before I move on.

It’s nice to know that’s there’s more onions later. That’s one of my issues with the game taken care of, and that’ll make replays more fun. But ultimately I think the game would still be better served by introducing more earlier. At least that way it would facilitate both of its possible play styles.
Ok, but the game is giving you multiple ways to resolve this. Hell, just go through new caves. No, I’m not talking about grinding old caves. You don’t need to do that in 4, even if you wipe out a type. There are quite a few caves that will give you Ice Pikmin even though it wasn’t listed on the recommended page beforehand. Before I found the Ice Onion, I had 85 Ice Pikmin. They’re replaceable.

There’s a ton of ways to make up for lost ice Pikmin. I’m failing to see how it’s the game’s fault you refuse to actively do any of them. The game knows the first few areas, ice Pikmin are overpowered. That why there aren’t any ice onions until after you go past them.

Ok, but the game is giving you multiple ways to resolve this. Hell, just go through new caves. No, I’m not talking about grinding old caves. You don’t need to do that in 4, even if you wipe out a type. There are quite a few caves that will give you Ice Pikmin even though it wasn’t listed on the recommended page beforehand. Before I found the Ice Onion, I had 85 Ice Pikmin. They’re replaceable.

There’s a ton of ways to make up for lost ice Pikmin. I’m failing to see how it’s the game’s fault you refuse to actively do any of them. The game knows the first few areas, ice Pikmin are overpowered. That why there aren’t any ice onions until after you go past them.

I already said the fact that you do get more onions fixes my issue, though I’d still prefer they’d introduce them earlier to avoid confusion.

I said I might be missing something since there was still more game to go, and it turns out I was. Cool. That’s good for me.

Of course, this makes the arguments against my point earlier pretty funny, because clearly if it worked the way I thought it did that would suck. Lol.

I’ve basically held off on the status ailment upgrades in favor of everything else but I think of it as just another optimization option. If you want to complete the levels in as few days as possible, you could simply ignore a lot of material piles and you will not be able to afford as much.

Back
Top Bottom