• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Pikmin 4 |ST| In Development and Very Close to Completion

What's your favorite Pikmin game before 4?

• Pikmin

Votes: 22 13.1%
  • Pikmin 2

Votes: 31 18.5%
  • Pikmin 3

Votes: 97 57.7%
  • Pikmin Bloom

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Hey! Pikmin (why would you pick this?)

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I’ve never played Pikmin before

Votes: 14 8.3%

• Total voters
After importing my save data from the demo, the first thing I did was head straight for Dandori Battle mode…and I’m kinda disappointed in the number of battle stages available. Only 6 stages?! That’s half the amount of battle stages that Pikmin 3 had… Hopefully either there are more stages that you can unlock somehow, or more are added as DLC, because I really want to see Dandori Battle at least be on par with Bingo Battle, if not surpass it…

I assume you unlock more because I only had one available when I checked
You unlock more stages as you play each stage in Dandori Battle mode, until you unlock the last stage, which is literally called Final Battle so…yeah, I’m not too hopeful that there are more stages hiding that need to be unlocked some other way, unfortunately… =/

Absolutely loving the game in general aside from this, by the way, so I don’t mean to be sounding exclusively down on it, but I really had hoped there’d be more to Dandori Battles…

3's DLC was great so I do hope more gets added. With Switch, DLC is a big coin flip as far as if we get it, though, even if it makes too much sense.

I just did my first Dandori challenge but I was unable to get the best medal / score in it. When I tried to get back into that cave it was locked, seemingly for good.

Is there no way to retry those challenges?

I just did my first Dandori challenge but I was unable to get the best medal / score in it. When I tried to get back into that cave it was locked, seemingly for good.

There should be a way to replay them later, I assume after rescuing a specific castaway.

Dandori - "being as efficient as possible"

Me - "So this paper bag comes from a pet supply story named puppies... ohh look at the dirt caking the bottom of this flower pot. Ohh look at this majestically rendered dragonfruit"

There is, you unlock it a bit into the game (just got it myself)

Speaking of, 100% the first two areas! Game's a blast as expected. I'm particularly a fan of how varied it is - between normal exploration, caves, and Dandori Battles/Challenges the game feels like it's mixing itself up constantly. Kinda like Nintendo's other big summer title

So I’m a bit lapsed from the demo gap… if pikmin you don’t have the onion for yet bring back items to the main onion does it just default to red sprouts or?

Put in 6 hours today 100%ing the first area. This was the demo area correct? I'll agree when I saw that people said that it was very chatty to start, but thankfully after that you were mostly left alone to explore as you please. I also agree that the game seems a lot easier than even Pikmin 3 with how much everything is streamlined here. But I'm sure it will ramp up as the game goes on. And yeah, retconning the first game is really weird. Maybe there are some timeline shenanigans? Idk.

For now though I'm definitely having a blast. Oatchi is great as are the Ice Pikmin. The caves have been simple but good, and I REALLY liked the level design of the first area, though I'm surprised it doesn't have any boss fight. I also really like being able to change the camera angle quite drastically. The sidequests aren't overbearing and just fun things to do along the way. The Dandori battles are also a nice side distraction and add that element of frantic stress that is so important to the series. I've really just enjoyed soaking in this experience that we get every once in blue moon, reading about all the treasures and creatures and such. It just feels great and surreal to be playing a new Pikmin game after so long. I'm really tempted to play even more tonight but I feel like I shouldn't devour it TOO fast haha.

Managed to get through 5 days worth. So far I am loving it. I'm sure that the difficulty will pick up, but things are really easy right now.

I wouldn't mind an option to speed up the dialogue though lol

I played for about 90 minutes earlier so I only cleared the first real day and I’m happy and excited to get into it, but I really don’t like the soft lock on for targets. Is there any way to disable that? It feels bad when say three or four small enemies are attacking you and you get stuck on each one. There’s already a hard lock so I really don’t need this :/ I’m using button controls here since IR aiming isn’t an option.

Me looking for mentions of Hocotate in the intro:

tenor.gif

Played three hours so far. I don't know what the hell they do it, but when Nintendo designs a new mascot is always so good. Yes, I'm talking about Oatchi. S tier character!

Oh my god I tried to whistle back my Pikmin thinking they were gonna circle around but they instead attempted to jump across the gaping chasm separated us. Last time I lost that many units was when I got curbstomped by a Korean in Starcraft.

It was freaking hilarious though

Finished third area 100%. This is best area of game so far, and one the bests areas on series. The caves, bosses, difficulty, size and even own "gimmick", everything feel right here.

Only critique I have about area 3 is the clear focus towards 2 Pikmin types. I’m hoping the following maps mix it up a bit more.

Wow, there's a cave that is basically a remake of
Submerged Castle of Pikmin 2, with Fire Bulborb, Water Wraith and all.
There is also a smaller remake of
bulblax kingdom, but with a different statue instead of the gyroid at the end.

I am seriously questioning my Dandori after doing a Dandori challenge. My dandori is weak.

I just like saying Dandori.

Thankfully my worries have subsided and the tutorial is the only part that’s really text heavy. On the third area with no big interruption.

EDIT: oh wow, only just finished my first day in the third area. That’s really neat. What a delightful game.

Last edited:
I really like the openness and mission-based structure of this game. It’s very addicting. Plus Oatchi is so fun to traverse around with. And he’s so cute. 🥹

Overall loving this game to pieces so far and it’s the perfect companion piece to TotK for me.

I am seriously questioning my Dandori after doing a Dandori challenge. My dandori is weak.

I just like saying Dandori.
Found the Leafling

Getting the ability to replay Dandori Challenges is a godsend for improving Dandori though, I have plats on the first 3 after doing pretty bad on the first 2. Only gold on the battles though

You have to train Oatchi, you need the skill that give them the power of 10 Pikmin.
I have that, but I'm probably missing some shenanigans you can pull in that case, since he can't climb the wall and I'm limited to 10 Pikmin.

I suppose you could pull some tricks with the ice Pikmin by pulling them up with you and refreezing the water.

I have that, but I'm probably missing some shenanigans you can pull in that case, since he can't climb the wall and I'm limited to 10 Pikmin.

I suppose you could pull some tricks with the ice Pikmin by pulling them up with you and refreezing the water.
First you have to freeze the water with your ice Pikmin and climb with your red pikmin to kill the enemy. Then jump down and whistle to get the Ice Pikmin and quickly climb the wall. All of your pikmin will carry the onion to the small ledge right next to the water. Now all you have to do is freeze the water again and bring Oatchi to the ledge. TADAAAA /SPOILER]

I thought Dandori and Fiddlebert were fan inventions. Oh boy.

My Dandori is okay, the red Fiddlebert got me in the first half, ngl.

Can you?

Is there a way to get the blue onion without going to the second area?
You have to train Oatchi, you need the skill that give them the power of 10 Pikmin.

There are actually two ways you can get the Blue Onion.

With the way I did it, like Amadeus said, you can train Oatchi to have the power of at least 10 Pikmin.

Here's what you need to do it the way I did:

• Rescue enough people to give Oatchi 10 Pikmin power. You can do this in your first day in the first level.
  • Get every Flarlic so you can have 40 Pikmin. You can also do this in your first day in the first level.

To get the Blue Onion, I did the following:

1. Freeze the water with 30 Ice Pikmin
2. Start building the wall in the back left corner of the ice. I had my remaining 10 Pikmin do this along with Oatchi.
3. Meanwhile, very quickly move the 30 Ice Pikmin from where ever you threw them to a spot in the ice closer to the wall you're building: this will help with the next step.
4. Once the wall is built, call every Pikmin and climb the wall. Make sure Oatchi is on the dry part at the bottom of the wall; he can't climb up with you, and the ice will melt now that you took the Ice Pikmin back.
5. With Oatchi waiting down below, kill the monster up at the top level and move the Blue Onion to the lower level where the red berry flower is, near the water. MAKE SURE NOT TO FLY ON THE AIR PUFF...
6. Throw all 30 of your Ice Pikmin back into the water to freeze it.
7. Go grab Oatchi and have him drag the Blue Onion back to base. Boom!

Also, another method is.... throw some Ice Pikmin over the wall where the Dandori Challenge is. They'll just dig it up and carry it down to the lower level where the red berry flower is. You can just walk underwater and grab your Pikmin back. Freeze the water, and grab the Onion. My partner did it this way after I told them it's possible.... it's way simpler.

Already on the fourth level. I'm getting the feeling that I'm nearing the end.

Really excited to see what this postgame content is all about.

People saying the game is too easy and handholdy just need to play more

Caves as early as the second area are already messing me up, I had to leave without clearing one because I was NOT ready
"Oh shit, Emperor Bulbax, alright, I'll take this really slow, wait for an opportunity to strike, and... FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK"

People saying the game is too easy and handholdy just need to play more

Caves as early as the second area are already messing me up, I had to leave without clearing one because I was NOT ready
"Oh shit, Emperor Bulbax, alright, I'll take this really slow, wait for an opportunity to strike, and... FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK"

Yeah, people who say it's "too easy" are probably both letting Pikmin die left and right, and not 100% everything

Yeah, people who say it's "too easy" are probably both letting Pikmin die left and right, and not 100% everything

I feel so guilty when I lose one. People who say it's too easy aren't trying to 100% and are just bulldozing through the game.

The game isn't particularly difficult but I can't say it's easy either. I can't imagine kids or people who don't play video games too often not having a hard time with some caves.
I try not to lose any Pikmin so it needs a lot of dandori sometimes lol.

I'm stuck on 99% on the first area. Any suggestions?

This happened to me and I used Oatch's treasure scent tracker and it lead me right to the the last treasure. There was nothing indicating a treasure would be in this spot so I think that was the intended solution

I’m almost done the game and have done pretty much all the secret stuff, the game overal is not super hard if you use oatchi but still has some moments that are ridiculous in a good way. It’s defintly the hardest pikmin and also the easier at the same time, it’s easy to get into and control but the breadth of content leads to more chalk being endgame content.

This game is also Long, REALLY Long. Probably longer than the 1.2 .3 hey and even adventure combined.

It’s easily the best in the series. My bias wants to say 2 but my bias is dumb and stupid. This is just better with a ton of cool secrets and hidden details.

After replaying 1 2 and 3 in the lead up, that makes 4 sound like such a rewarding experience!
There’s one section that’s pretty deeply hidden in the game that I really loved, for those who play it I will be watching so many youtuber reactions. This game just feels like a love letter to fans. More so than any Nintendo game has had before personally.

Fun so far, happy caves are back. Not a fan of being limited to 3 types of Pikmin at any given time though. The opening hour is total slog too.

Last edited:
I'm wondering what people think of the soundtrack, because to be honest, the overworld and cave themes seem pretty unexceptional so far.
I need to finish the game to have a full opinion, but at least with the caves it's not different compared to Pikmin 2's ambient music.

Also I'm happy to see them bring back the little marching music the Pikmin hum, always loved that small touch in 2.

Back
Top Bottom