• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion Thread | ST23 August 2023 | Things get WEIRD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xenoblade Trinity soundtrack arrived in one piece! Time to fill my phone up with roughly 20 solid hours of Xenoblade music :)
Unfortunately, mine came slightly damaged on the top cover. It seemed somewhat common, so it was an isolated incident, but still messaged the company. Luckily, they'll be sending a replacement.

Otherwise, it looks gorgeous, sounds gorgeous and I love it <3

Shockingly even I haven’t heard of this one. Gotta love when a random sunrise show gets a sequel

Original show had a chill op

Last edited:
Got a new Liko avatar ready to go to kick off September. Time to retire this one and replace it with a grab from the show.

Unfortunately, mine came slightly damaged on the top cover. It seemed somewhat common, so it was an isolated incident, but still messaged the company. Luckily, they'll be sending a replacement.

Otherwise, it looks gorgeous, sounds gorgeous and I love it <3
Oh no! But at least they're replacing it. I think my shipment didn't go out until after the first wave that they ended up repackaging and sending out apologies for damaged shipments, it was packed pretty well.

So apparently "game that basically plays like Chrono Trigger with Mario RPG-style timed button presses laid over the combat, with 32-bit style pixel graphics and a character class called "Warrior-Cook" was exactly what I've been wanting for for years.

Been replaying Super Mario World after doing SMB3 a little while back... the way I always describe this game as it's my least favorite favorite game. It's literally the first game I ever played and I've played it more times than I can count. But as time goes on there's more things about it that bother me. I honestly will be interested to see how Mario Wonder stacks up to it when it comes out.

Maybe I'll make a thread comparing the games when I'm done, I'm sure that won't be without controversy

Been replaying Super Mario World after doing SMB3 a little while back... the way I always describe this game as it's my least favorite favorite game. It's literally the first game I ever played and I've played it more times than I can count. But as time goes on there's more things about it that bother me. I honestly will be interested to see how Mario Wonder stacks up to it when it comes out.

Maybe I'll make a thread comparing the games when I'm done, I'm sure that won't be without controversy
I love both games, but what sets Mario World apart and makes it my favorite 2D Mario are the secrets: The keys, alternate exits, hidden places on the world map, and the colored switches. I love how it emphasizes the world map so much, and makes you wonder "how do I get over THERE?" That's what I really want Mario Wonder to do, too.

I love both games, but what sets Mario World apart and makes it my favorite 2D Mario are the secrets: The keys, alternate exits, hidden places on the world map, and the colored switches. I love how it emphasizes the world map so much, and makes you wonder "how do I get over THERE?" That's what I really want Mario Wonder to do, too.
The secrets are great and really the main draw of SMW. But I think the fundamental problem for me comes down to this: the critical path feels light on content, whereas going for 100% requires replaying levels a lot. This might be in part of why 3D World is my favorite Mario game; if I want to unlock everything, the vast majority of the time I only need to play the levels once. You technically beat the game 100% by clearing it with all 5 characters, but that feels more like bragging rights. The levels in SMW also lack the density of SMB3, with a lot of big open spaces, probably to facilitate the use of the Cape Feather more.

Anyway, SMW is still a great game and definitely a classic. I'm on Valley Of Bowser now. But it does make me kind of wish we got another traditional 2D Mario on the SNES, because I'd love to see what Nintendo could do after better understanding the console's tech. Hopefully Wonder scratches a similar itch.

Started playing this King's Field inspired first-person RPG that is extremely my jam but had to stop since it's in early access and 1.0 is apparently releasing soon-ish

Makes me wonder if we're ever going to see King's Field and/or Shadow Tower on modern systems

I'm excited for Mario Wonder, but in the back of my mind I'm wonder-ing if the focus on level gimmicks will get old and if the game does focus on linear levels will that exacerbate the problem even more. Not to say gimmicks or linearity is bad, just an irrational concern that it could get tiring depending on how it's done.

Guess we'll see in a few hours! Hope they don't reveal too much though, Odyssey revealed way too much pre-release and it spoiled most of the surprise of new levels for me. Never had that happen before or since so I usually don't skip directs / trailers. It's my most hyped game of the rest of the year so I'm looking forward to it.

Direct's at 12 midnight and I am zonked, so it looks like tomorrow morning gonna be like
tumblr_mmthyySkWx1qfimubo1_500.gif

Or, to be more franchise specific, waking up to it like
Mario_parents.png

Last edited:
After finishing TOTK I bought a few short ish games on the eshop to cleanse my palat. Lil gator game is fun, short, sweet, and somehow a perfect companion to BOTW/TOTK. I'm now playing Broforce which is... good, actually? I really like the changing hero mechanic every few seconds.

Vampire survivors is another issue entirely. I'm not entirely sure a game like that should be legal.

Definitely gonna try to! Pre orders have been difficult to lock into lately but I’ve been pretty lucky with them so far (except the OLED ended up being a week late from Walmart)

I don’t feel like I’ll need to but if Genshin and Honkai Star Rail will be on it, I can ditch my PS5.

As long as I can get an order in on Amazon, absolutely.

Hopefully me tomorrow after the Wonder Direct and SMT OSTs dropping on iTunes:

0HiFYDM.gif

6RGEg4r.gif

TkchkOG.jpg

Seriously though... Atlus? Drop Strange Journey and the DDS Duology next plzkthxbai

I'm waffling right now. I've gone Day 1 for the last three Nintendo systems and I think I feel like it was only the Switch where I wasn't like "Yeah I could've waited a few months". With the size of my backlog I'm pretty sure I can keep myself enterainted with the current model for a couple years at my current rate.

Ultimately, it's really going to come down to the software lineup for the first year.
All goats

They would probably be pretty well recieved with current FromSoft craftmanship, so i think we will see one eventually.

I wouldn't mind another non-RPG first person game either, i played Echo Night Beyond last year and it held up super well.
I've only seen the Nitrorad review of Echo Night Beyond (skipped the spoiler segment though) and he made it look both frustrating and intriguing at the same time. Would love to get more stuff like that from From.

I am not worried in the least about Mario Wonder. 2D Mario is easily peak platforming. Even the worst 2D Mario (NSMB2) is really good.

The only way Wonder could be the perfect 2D Mario for me if they made levels more similar to DKC Tropical Freeze (longer, more varied, many platforming concepts in one) than to NSMBU (excellent but short, often bland looking) and make mario's jump shorter or less floaty (and maybe more similar to Odyssey -aka having a "second" jump but not a double jump).

Just saw a group of preschoolers leaving the daycare (to go eat, I suppose), and a 3/4 yo girl was holding tight to the same Sonic plush that is in the @chocolate_supra profile pic, while another one was wearing some kind of Sonic sweater. Still amaze me that Sonic is still cool and popular with kids even though the IP is nowhere near as prominent as it once was. That's the power of good character design.

I only have one worry about Wonder and that is whether or not it will ramp up difficulty near the end - I really hope so.

For all that I love Odyssey for, I felt like “wohooo, 10000 nutty ideas!” could sometimes get in the way of precise, air-tight performance platforming of the kind that I know Mario as a series can excel at if it wants.

I only have one worry about Wonder and that is whether or not it will ramp up difficulty near the end - I really hope so.

For all that I love Odyssey for, I felt like “wohooo, 10000 nutty ideas!” could sometimes get in the way of precise, air-tight performance platforming of the kind that I know Mario as a series can excel at if it wants.
2D Mario usually takes care of the challenge in the post game stuff. Actually so does 3D Mario. Odyssey didn't have too much of that, but it was there.

I'm sure Wonder will have some challenging levels either towards the end or as bonus levels.

Gosh, SMB Wonder Direct in just a few hours. Great way to start my time back at work. I have very few expectations over what I'll see. I just want to be surprised!

(Also, World is still the best one. I don't make up the rules!)

Wtf going at Take Two. Are they getting acquired by google or Apple or something?

• Red Dead Redemption announcement and release two weeks later
  • Civ VI Leaders pack shadow Drop outta nowhere
  • And now Borderlands 3 announcement just 5 weeks before the release.

What's next? GTA4 shadow drop?

Wtf going at Take Two. Are they getting acquired by google or Apple or something?

• Red Dead Redemption announcement and release two weeks later
  • Civ VI Leaders pack shadow Drop outta nowhere
  • And now Borderlands 3 announcement just 5 weeks before the release.

What's next? GTA4 shadow drop?
If we're willing Take two games into existence, can we try to do that with Bully?

Are they going for it? Are they releasing bad versions of old games to give us better versions of those same games on Switch 2 because BC is definitely a lock? Am I being really absolutely crazily hopeful? Yes, I am and I’ll do it again!

You know, with the sales numbers the Switch is still pulling, I 100% expected certain third party companies to put the pedal to the metal with their number of releases.

I just didn't think they would be 2K and WB Games of all people.

Can't believe how faithful an adaptation the One Piece Netflix series is.

Of all the properties.
In a way, the jankiness of the live adaptation surprisingly kinda suits the cartoonishness of the manga/anime. And I also do like that they're neither straight up copying nor mercilessly mangling the source material-- it hits a nice middle where it's unquestionably One Piece, but still deviates in ways that make more sense for live action.

(But Oda should've insisted on CGI Fishmen)
My only beef is that Arlong's nose should have been longer. But honestly they don't look shabby.

In a way, the jankiness of the live adaptation surprisingly kinda suits the cartoonishness of the manga/anime. And I also do like that they're neither straight up copying nor mercilessly mangling the source material-- it hits a nice middle where it's unquestionably One Piece, but still deviates in ways that make more sense for live action.

My only beef is that Arlong's nose should have been longer. But honestly they don't look shabby.

If Arlong's crew, who don't have too outlandish designs (safe for Hatchan) already looks extremely goofy and definitely not indimidating as they should, i already dread how it's going to be if the LA adaption manages to run long enough to reach the Fishmen Island Arc.

If Arlong's crew, who don't have too outlandish designs (safe for Hatchan) already looks extremely goofy and definitely not indimidating as they should, i already dread how it's going to be if the LA adaption manages to run long enough to reach the Fishmen Island Arc.
Well, the live action was always going to run into problems with adapting Oda's crazy character designs. Feasibly they could go the Ussop route and tone down aspects of his design but still preserving its spirit.

I also imagine that good CGI for the Fishmen would be, like, really expensive.

Well, the live action was always going to run into problems with adapting Oda's crazy character designs. Feasibly they could go the Ussop route and tone down aspects of his design but still preserving its spirit.

I also imagine that good CGI for the Fishmen would be, like, really expensive.

I mean, yeah CGI would be expensive, absolutely. And i agree on the difficulty for a lot of characters, bringing them to "real life".

I just get the feeling that stuff that happens after they arrived on the Grand Line will have to become CGI down the line.
The Minks and their transformations, all those Zoan fruit users, the mermen and mermaids and the more outlandish looking fishmen.

Or stuff that's likely too big to use practical effects and extras, like Marineford.

They could've started to have a solid base already by doing such stuff in CGI from begin on! ;D

Torn, on one hand i would like to see how they try to make Gecko Moria work with practical effects ... on the other i really don't wanna see it.

They could've started to have a solid base already by doing such stuff in CGI from begin on!
That's true. Honestly, I still don't know what possessed people to make a live action One Piece. It was always going to be a gargantuan undertaking. But we'll see. It's always possible for adaptations to deviate from source material. We might even skip some arcs or something.

Torn, on one hand i would like to see how they try to make Gecko Moria work with practical effects ... on the other i really don't wanna see it.
I was just thinking of Gecko Moria haha. I figure they're just gonna make him this cool, cackling, gothic fat bastard.

That's true. Honestly, I still don't know what possessed people to make a live action One Piece. It was always going to be a gargantuan undertaking. But we'll see. It's always possible for adaptations to deviate from source material. We might even skip some arcs or something.

I was just thinking of Gecko Moria haha. I figure they're just gonna make him this cool, cackling, gothic fat bastard.

They're free to skip some arc, and for some i'd actually welcome it (or at least cut them down in size), but most of the stuff i've listed is ... well ... difficult to skip.

Ironically, Thriller Bark might be one of the easiest arcs to skip. They can have the crew meet Brook in a different way.

If looking janky and goofy is the biggest issue a live action adaptation of One Piece faces I think we'll be alright lol

I get the feeling people will complain about Smoker. Dude is a walking tobacco stand after all.

Delays incoming!

Seriously, I only expect a delay for DECAPOLICE. Some very late 2023 dates for the rest wouldn't be surprising. Inazuma Eleven for November and Musashi and Fantasy Life for December.
Yup. And I see Layton wasn’t even mentioned in that tweet :(

The cup of coffee you are given in Saturn Valley had a psychedelic substance in it. Change my mind.

Earthbound has violated every expectation I had about it. It's a journey and I'm loving every second of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom