• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion Thread | ST23 August 2023 | Things get WEIRD

Status
Not open for further replies.
No thanks! Glad I at least Locke sun through next November with the recent sale.

You can usually find decent discounts for PS+ during the holidays but if I can't find one this year, I'm unsubbing. It's not like I'm currently using it anyways. I'm taking a break from Destiny and that's the only online game I really play.

What were the prices before? Actually I don't even know what each tier includes.

this was when they announced the new tiers and stuff in 2022​

PlayStation Plus Essential​

Benefits

• Provides the same benefits that PlayStation Plus members are getting today, such as:
    • Two monthly downloadable games
    • Exclusive discounts
    • Cloud storage for saved games
    • Online multiplayer access
  • There are no changes for existing PlayStation Plus members in this tier.
Price* for PlayStation Plus Essential remains the same as the current price for PlayStation Plus.

• United States
    • $9.99 monthly / $24.99 quarterly / $59.99 yearly
  • Europe
    • €8.99 monthly / €24.99 quarterly / €59.99 yearly
  • United Kingdom
    • £6.99 monthly / £19.99 quarterly / £49.99 yearly
  • Japan
    • ¥850 monthly / ¥2,150 quarterly / ¥5,143 yearly

PlayStation Plus Extra​

Benefits

• Provides all the benefits from the Essential tier
  • Adds a catalog of up to 400* of the most enjoyable PS4 and PS5 games – including blockbuster hits from our PlayStation Studios catalog and third-party partners. Games in the Extra tier are downloadable for play.
Price*

• United States
    • $14.99 monthly / $39.99 quarterly / $99.99 yearly
  • Europe
    • €13.99 monthly / €39.99 quarterly / €99.99 yearly
  • United Kingdom
    • £10.99 monthly / £31.99 quarterly / £83.99 yearly
  • Japan
    • ¥1,300 monthly / ¥3,600 quarterly / ¥8,600 yearly

PlayStation Plus Premium**​

Benefits

• Provides all the benefits from Essential and Extra tiers
  • Adds up to 340* additional games, including:
    • PS3 games available via cloud streaming
    • A catalog of beloved classic games available in both streaming and download options from the original PlayStation, PS2 and PSP generations
  • Offers cloud streaming access for original PlayStation, PS2, PSP and PS4 games offered in the Extra and Premium tiers in markets** where PlayStation Now is currently available. Customers can stream games using PS4 and PS5 consoles, and PC.***
  • Time-limited game trials will also be offered in this tier, so customers can try select games before they buy.
Price*

• United States
    • $17.99 monthly / $49.99 quarterly / $119.99 yearly
  • Europe
    • €16.99 monthly / €49.99 quarterly / €119.99 yearly
  • United Kingdom
    • £13.49 monthly / £39.99 quarterly / £99.99 yearly
  • Japan
    • ¥1,550 – monthly / ¥4,300 – quarterly / ¥10,250 yearly
  • PlayStation Plus Deluxe (Select Markets) For markets without cloud streaming, PlayStation Plus Deluxe will be offered at a lower price compared to Premium, and includes a catalog of beloved classic games from the original PlayStation, PS2 and PSP generations to download and play, along with time-limited game trials. Benefits from Essential and Extra tiers are also included. Local pricing will vary by market.

Subscriptions are entering their final stage where they basically just exist to extract money from their users while offering little of actual value in return. Can't wait for Nintendo to increase NSO prices or restrict family sharing somehow with the Switch 2.

You can usually find decent discounts for PS+ during the holidays but if I can't find one this year, I'm unsubbing. It's not like I'm currently using it anyways. I'm taking a break from Destiny and that's the only online game I really play.
Is destiny free to play? Do you even need a sub for it’s online? For me this is still probably worth it if you compare it to buying retail titles since I never had PS4 so my options are great with the plus collection since I claimed that before it went away. Might drop to essential though next year since I’m sitting on a ton of titles and use sales to fill in what I want to play.

Subscriptions are entering their final stage where they basically just exist to extract money from their users while offering little of actual value in return. Can't wait for Nintendo to increase NSO prices or restrict family sharing somehow with the Switch 2.
I’ve been expecting an increase of restriction on their family for a while now. And I’m a little surprise it’s still 20.

Expansion pass. I think after they add “enough” games (not legacy and DLC expansion). It’ll go up. But the slow updates might be the reason why I don’t see it anytime soon lol

And every state but New Mexico is lacking laws restricting auto renew. So how many people will forget to turn that off and be charged with no recourse? Scummy tactic. That needs a nationwide ban. Make the companies contact you before your sub expires and confirm you want to resubscribe. Not sure if Europe has any laws but this would be pro consumer and is needed.

Is destiny free to play? Do you even need a sub for it’s online? For me this is still probably worth it if you compare it to buying retail titles since I never had PS4 so my options are great with the plus collection since I claimed that before it went away. Might drop to essential though next year since I’m sitting on a ton of titles and use sales to fill in what I want to play.

You might be right. Destiny 2 has been free to play for a while so you might not need a sub to play online although the online has always been weird with Destiny. Like you needed a sub to do certain activities but not others.

I'm sure Nintendo will raise prices for subs at some point but the increases for PS+ are some of the biggest percentage increases I've seen. Usually they are a more gradual. A dollar here. Two dollars there. But this is a 30% bump.

Which reminds me, time to contact my family group so they have more margin to get back to me on renewal so we don’t repeat last year

It's also important to remember that Sony is heavily investing in live service games. So they are raising the prices for the subscription that you'll need to play some of those live services games which I'm sure will also have battles passes and cosmetics.

Nintendo is often behind on new tech and industry trends but that works to our benefits at times. Nintendo hasn't really gone all in on the live service model. People may be upset that something like Animal Crossing New Horizons didn't get big meaty updates often but it didn't have aggressive monetization either. It had some smaller free updates and one big expansion later. Smash Ultimate doesn't sell cosmetics outside of Mii fighter costumes. The fighter DLC packs gave you a consistent amount of content, a fighter, a stage, a new classic mode, and some Spirits. You knew what you were buying each time. Mario Kart 8, the original DLC on Wii U and the booster pack on Switch are probably some of the best values in gaming. Splatoon DLC, multiplayer stuff is all free and the paid DLC is single player stuff.

Modern gaming has some perks like consistent content all the time but it comes with drawbacks. Lots of FOMO, lots of time limited stuff, and lots of asking for more and more money.

And every state but New Mexico is lacking laws restricting auto renew. So how many people will forget to turn that off and be charged with no recourse? Scummy tactic. That needs a nationwide ban. Make the companies contact you before your sub expires and confirm you want to resubscribe. Not sure if Europe has any laws but this would be pro consumer and is needed.
Not quite comparable but I like how Mullvad handles this. You basically buy "time" in advance and use their VPN for that period and once you're run out of time you have to buy more. You can buy it in 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 or 12 month increments but its a consistent $5/month across the board. No auto-renewals, no "discount" to trick you into subscribing for longer, just a simple service in exchange for money.

Sheeesh, that's a 33% price hike for the exact same offering

Also forgot that the highest tier was the one with the retro catalog, I wonder who'll be paying for Premium for those PSP games
To be fair, there is a big portion of PS4 games restricted to this service (like any remastered game released on PS4 from an earlier generation) plus the PS3 streaming which has worked well to me. But they didn’t add any value to justify the increase is the thing.

I'd say don't give them ideas, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're looking at these family plans and wondering if they should be charging more with the next console generation.

I'm in a full family plan for EP so it works out to $1/month for me, but damn that's all I really am willing to pay the way this "service" has been rolling out.

Regardless this definitely has me reconsidering a PS5 in the future even if they do come out with a slim. Maybe I am better off just grabbing an XSX down the line just because most of the backwards compatibility is available via their digital storefront.

Saw this in my Twitter feed. Not immediately, but not long after my brain started thinking of a possible Pokken Tournament 2 announcement soon, since they use Tekken tagline in here, and show fighting type Pokemon.

I'd say don't give them ideas, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're looking at these family plans and wondering if they should be charging more with the next console generation.
100% Nintendo are looking at NSO and planning how to gradually increase what's included while raising prices without either alienating customers or devaluing their own content. That'll be the balance that's important to them.

Personally wondering if Nindies and perhaps the GC/Wii ports (if we start to see more of these) end up in a premium tier in the future. There's a bunch of Nintendo-published eShop only titles that could form the basis for a 'Nindies' tier (even if they don't give it that name), with the upscaled ports gradually also being available. Maybe Nintendo expand NSO Game Trials into NSO Selects, with access to older first party titles being granted if you stay subscribed (or you simply get a discount on certain games).

I posted about it in the Direct thread, but we can see this year that Nintendo are in a position where they're having to expand and alter the subscription offering for a variety of reasons (N64 games becoming thin on the ground so GBA arrives, NES/SNES titles barely appearing so GB arrives, Pacman 99 ending, Mario Kart DLC ending). So while I don't expect any price overhaul until after new hardware is out, I do think in the next five or six months we'll see an N64/GBA roadmap for 2024 with some high profile games (Mother 3? Diddy Kong Racing? Smash Bros? Pls?) as well as a new NSO-only title to replace Pac-man 99 (my brain says Dr Mario 99; my heart craves F ZERO 99).

The company that’s known for premium priced home electronics is asking for more money for their services?

I'm sure Nintendo will raise prices for subs at some point but the increases for PS+ are some of the biggest percentage increases I've seen. Usually they are a more gradual. A dollar here. Two dollars there. But this is a 30% bump.
I think any sub increases will be handled by adding new tiers or options. NSO retro is by and large Nintendo games and they’re probably already making more money on the retro IP via the subs than they ever did with Virtual Console.

Nintendo also has a cultural thing about not presenting themselves as the premium hardware option so that’ll keep the service prices in check too.

Sooo, I ordered a laptop with an OLED screen. Originally for testing purposes only.

But... Damn. It's so gooood.

The nice thing about the PlayStation Plus price increase is that it finally reminded me to go through all my subscriptions and cancel some of them. Thank you, Sony, you really were 4 the Players after all 🙏

Minnie Driver and Adam Driver in "Driving Driver's Drive" hitting the road Summer 2024

C-combo breaker, but speaking of Cardinal Sin, I am about to mention some gaming what I just done.

Managed a good chunk of Oracle of Seasons today (dungeons 5 and 6) and the season changing, magnet gloves and magical boomerang all feel like precursors of how inventive Fujibayashi Zelda will become. Fun stuff. I also really like Seasons' interpretation of Manhandla.

Old 2D Zelda once again making me want new 2D Zelda. Let's continue with this same 90s Link just roaming around the planet visiting all the wacky kingdoms, please.

OK. Here's an idea:

star-fox-feature.jpg

+

capsule_616x353.jpg

...think about it.

that movie will be a hit because it’s got my favorite things:
  • film by a brand about a brand — the purest artistic medium and only remaining film format
  • Adam Driver, who I don’t absolutely fucking hate as both a person and an onscreen presence
  • a holiday release, which is never contrived
  • the ever-prestigious “man plot”
  • significant promotion during a strike — that’ll show ‘em!
yeah yeah yeah april fuckin’ fools you jabronis

The nice thing about the PlayStation Plus price increase is that it finally reminded me to go through all my subscriptions and cancel some of them. Thank you, Sony, you really were 4 the Players after all 🙏
This is why I always snooze "thanks for subscribing" emails until a week before their renewal date, and also throw a reminder on my Google Calendar for the same date to remind me to cancel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom