• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion Thread | ST23 August 2023 | Things get WEIRD

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Jane is running away from the baboons in Tarzan the soundtrack goes unnecessarily hard, like it’s on epic proportions. I only noticed this as I’ve been rewatching a ton of Disney classics with my little one. I’m also way more emotional with scenes about parents and their kids.

This problem is also why I have to teach the youngins how to watch tokusatsu outside of Japan
you kids these days have it easy tbh

let me tell you about trying to watch Kamen Rider Agito in like 2009: it sucked and was HARD

you kids these days have it easy tbh

let me tell you about trying to watch Kamen Rider Agito in like 2009: it sucked and was HARD
This you?

w43b.jpg

I’m not THAT old but I have been watching toku for like a decade and a half so I’ve got stories

let me tell you about the time folks were convinced Kamen Rider Fourze’s opening was going to be sung by Lady Gaga
I've dabbled in toku on and off for about as long, but I only got into it bigly in the last couple of years. Since then I've watched well over 30 seasons of toku including Rider, Sentai, Ultraman, Garo, and so on

About halfway through Magiranger and liking it a ton

Dived into Palia and have been loving it! Haven’t had a lot of good time for quality gaming due to life events so it’s been a good breather.

Me: I think I'll actually play some TotK this week!
Sea of Stars: tap tap tap

🤬

Problem is that younger gamers don't know how to pirate anymore. I never heard anyone complain about game prices when I was a kid.
As a JRPG kid on the SNES I would've been shocked if my parents/grandparents didn't grumble behind the scenes at the price of some of those games.

People complaining about $70 games in 2023 is nothing compared to $80-90 for Chrono Trigger in the mid-90s. That's not to knock people for getting priced out of their hobby but let me have my "I walked uphill both ways" moment ok?

Also, Sony putting extreme downward pressure on prices because of the cheaper CD-ROM production costs but also to put the screws to Nintendo warped the hell out of pricing in this industry for decades.

Never pay more than 20 bucks for a game.

(I don't actually follow Threepwood's rule.)
I still love the fact they had the cajones to ask for $24.99 for Return 😂

Have the framework for September ST made up. Just need to get the draft going in here. Might have to post a little early or somewhat late as I could be driving during my preferred 9 PM Pacific time to drop it.

We need to flesh out the rest of the year for ST volunteers!

Excitebike 64 is up for those interested. I know it isn't the most looked forward to N64 title but should be interesting.

Excite Gate 3
Alan Excite 2
Super Mario Excite
Sea of Excite
Excite-Man 2

Excitefield

They finally figured out that half of the appeal of Mortal Kombat is shouting the words "Mortal Kombat"

Edit: holy shit, I just realized the kid crouching at 1:12 is an homage to a shot in the OG commercial from 1993. Actually probably the whole ad is an homage but that one shot in particular is a dead-on recreation.

Last edited:
They finally figured out that half of the appeal of Mortal Kombat is shouting the words "Mortal Kombat"

They should release it on monday too!

Also getting everything ready here to travel to PAX West and Nintendo Live. Thanks to the current exchange rates I saved a lot in the trip and the hotel

I'd argue that Origami King doesn't have one either. Everyone hates Sticker Star, a large section of the fanbase hates Color Splash for continuing the Sticker Star formula, and TTYD is hated by fans of Color Splash and Origami King because of the obnoxious fanbase. Origami King is just kinda there.

I'd argue that Origami King doesn't have one either. Everyone hates Sticker Star, a large section of the fanbase hates Color Splash for continuing the Sticker Star formula, and TTYD is hated by fans of Color Splash and Origami King because of the obnoxious fanbase. Origami King is just kinda there.
Can a fanbase be just one person? Because if so, I’m the Origami King fanbase.

If people wanna play Sea of Stars in physical this year, it’ll be possible by importing it from Japan (and the cover art is better than the one we’ll get imo)

Origami King has a fanbase! That tweet was referring to a hatebase. Origami King isn't hated nearly as much as the prior two entries
Oh, damn, I read too fast

Challenge accepted.

Paper Mario 64 sucks. It starts way too slow. The first couple of hours is the kind of tedium that make people say turn-based battle systems are outdated. The battle system is a good foundation for the games that come after it but nowadays it's too rough. Action commands aren't nearly as intuitive as in later entries. Your partners lose all their personalities after you recruit them, becoming glorified exploration tools (except Bow). Badge system isn't interesting because you can bump your BP high enough to equip everything that matters. Star powers are meh. Also never make me deliver stupid mail again.

Final score: 64/100

Challenge accepted.

Paper Mario 64 sucks. It starts way too slow. The first couple of hours is the kind of tedium that make people say turn-based battle systems are outdated. The battle system is a good foundation for the games that come after it but nowadays it's too rough. Action commands aren't nearly as intuitive as in later entries. Your partners lose all their personalities after you recruit them, becoming glorified exploration tools (except Bow). Badge system isn't interesting because you can bump your BP high enough to equip everything that matters. Star powers are meh. Also never make me deliver stupid mail again.
oh
Final score: 64/100
oooh 😎

Origami King is hated by TRVE paper Mario fans because it wasn't the "return to form" that some insiders promised.

Edit: holy shit, I just realized the kid crouching at 1:12 is an homage to a shot in the OG commercial from 1993. Actually probably the whole ad is an homage but that one shot in particular is a dead-on recreation.

The trend of putting slowed-down versions of the original songs in movie trailers overdone, boring, unimaginative, and needs to stop. That and melodic (?) covers of pop songs. I am so done.

This looks like something I would write, only unironically and twice the length.

I like 64, tho.

Sure, i never complained about game prices when i was a kid ... but i think there's some different factors between back then and today.

First of all ... as a kid, 90% of my games came in form of presents or were bought by my mother when i asked for one out of the present occasions. ^^
Then, i'd argue there were fewer game releases back then, so you'd spent more time with the ones you have.
I guess it also comes to the fact that my fam was always able to live comfortably in terms of money. Not wealthy, definitely not rich, but ... "well enough"?

Though, i do think i remember complaining how expensive N64 games were here in Germany, especially later ones like Majora's Mask.
But that was already the time where i bought my games with my own money. ^^

My genuine take on piracy
  1. You should always be careful that you're not on the receiving end of legal action
  2. Statistics and studies on piracy should always be enjoyed with a grain of salt
  3. If companies don't like piracy they shouldn't do things that indirectly encourage it

thanks for coming to my TED talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom