• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST7 Apr. 2022| Launch Timing Update For ST7 Sequel

Which sport are you playing first in Switch Sports?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It may because I never really watched e3/conferences growing up and also I didn't watch NoA ads he appeared due to not being from there but I don't understand the hype for Reggie it seems to me just another CEO of a videogame company just one with more charisma than you would expect from these companies (usually they have none) but nothing that makes me a fan of him, was it that he interacted with fans more than what you would expect from a Nintendo representative that made him loved?
I think it was that he seemed just... stilted enough and off enough that you believed he was a real human. He probably wasn't the strongest on-camera personality with media training and proper presentation cadence Nintendo could have had, but he had a real "guest lecturer who doesn't usually do a lot of public speaking" vibe that made him oddly relatable for someone trying to sell me games.

It may because I never really watched e3/conferences growing up and also I didn't watch NoA ads he appeared due to not being from there but I don't understand the hype for Reggie it seems to me just another CEO of a videogame company just one with more charisma than you would expect from these companies (usually they have none) but nothing that makes me a fan of him, was it that he interacted with fans more than what you would expect from a Nintendo representative that made him loved?

I also don’t get the hype. He had a marketing role disguised as CEO. He was not influencing any of the games (that was the amazing part with Iwata). Where is mother 3 comes to mind.
I guess people loved the memes about him.

To put it shortly, Reggie made its appearance at a time where Nintendo was struggling, between the GameCube's failure and a new threat from Sony on their historical turf (portable systems). People questionned whether Nintendo was going to stay on the hardware system and several people believed it would follow SEGA's path.

Then, at E3 2004, Reggie, for his first, goes on stage and shows a radically more determined Nintendo image: they were not going to surrender

immediately followed by :
“It is game time,” he said. “A new day for me, and a new day for Nintendo. So let’s get a couple things straight, right off the bat.” What Reggie wanted everyone to get straight was a response to the “Nintendo needs to grow up” mentality, but delivered in a take-it-or-leave-it tone: “We’re not going to run our company just for hardcore gamers. There are gamers out there who aren’t as knowledgeable as you. Gamers who aren’t your age. Gamers who don’t have your tastes.” Yeah, we’re going to keep making games for your grandma. Deal with it.

Then came the punches to the competition. “One of our competitors is a manufacturer in Japan who wants to capture every one of your entertainment dollars, transporting all your content between all your electronics devices on their memory sticks. We’re not that company. And there’s another company who doesn’t care what you do, as long as you do it on their operating system. We’re not that company either.”
In one conference, he made a strong impression and over the years he embodied the image of successful Nintendo, with from the GameCube to the Switch era, one vital and important word at the center of his message "fun". (see his E3 2017 speech: "if the game isn't fun, why bother?")

So I believe, that beyond the memes and the fun quirks, he really embodied the "Nintendo Difference" that Iwata initially spoke of at the start of the GC era and made fans confortable in being different. (beating the kiddy stigma that was very strong during that era)

Seconded; it's the only way I'm playing it unless I'm getting SM3DW+BF for $30
Yeah I would comfortably spend 20-30 quid on BF alone. I'm prepared to piss away the remaining 5-10 on something I'll never play
They keep the price at 60 bucks for Mario games. Wait for the typical 33% discount. 3D World played differently enough that I enjoyed 100% it again on Switch (despite having played through the Wii U version).
I really didn't like 3d world 😂

To put it shortly, Reggie made its appearance at a time where Nintendo was struggling, between the GameCube's failure and a new threat from Sony on their historical turf (portable systems). People questionned whether Nintendo was going to stay on the hardware system and several people believed it would follow SEGA's path.

Then, at E3 2004, Reggie, for his first, goes on stage and shows a radically more determined Nintendo image: they were not going to surrender

immediately followed by :

In one conference, he made a strong impression and over the years he embodied the image of successful Nintendo, with from the GameCube to the Switch era, one vital and important word at the center of his message "fun".

So I believe, that beyond the memes and the fun quirks, he really embodied the "Nintendo Difference" that Iwata initially spoke of at the start of the GC era and made fans confortable in being different. (beating the kiddy stigma that was very strong during that era)

Maybe that. Looking at him playing Mario Kart he definitely wasn’t showing any skills. He was definitely not too much into gaming but more into selling. Well that was his role.

I think, at least speaking from my own personal standpoint, my appreciation of Reggie comes from the fact that he's a "character." Through the memes and on-camera performances, he was just kinda fun to watch. But I won't say he's a good person or anything as I don't know him. Maybe he's bad. But he was fun to watch.
Actually, yeah!

I mean, he is or certainly was iconic; he stood out and represented his company well.

So I think we see it the same way in this.

Anyways:

Australia’s first union for video game workers will be launched on Sunday, opening a fight for higher pay and better conditions in an industry that has faced accusations of gruelling stretches of unpaid shifts in “crunches” leading up to project release dates.

Game Workers Unite, a volunteer-run advocacy organisation founded in 2018, will become Game Workers Australia, a group within the 18,000-member union Professionals Australia, which also represents engineers and IT staff.

Though its membership is small by the standards of the labour movement, Unite’s 360-odd members make up between a quarter and a fifth of Australia’s game development industry, which one count put at 1327 people last year.
That the workers have chosen to become part of a registered union is significant; it provides a template for Australia’s labour movement, which has been shrinking for decades, to engage white-collar workers who have traditionally stayed away.

Mitch McCausland, 33, a producer with Sydney’s Featherweight Games, said even when Unite was a volunteer organisation it had helped him enter the industry by connecting him with peers, and negotiated a contract with a previous employer to ensure it was above industry minimums.

Tim Colwill, co-secretary of Game Workers Unite, said the union would push for the industry’s first enterprise agreement, which is a collective pay deal that usually covers one company, as well as trying to raise freelancer wages across the industry.

Lots of labor unions have been declared recently and there are a few unionization drives hitting a lot of the video game industry in general.

Should be interesting to see how it all turns out.

Nintendo web support was not helpful to me just now and had me frustrated

they passed me off to a phone agent

instantly I was put on hold but with OOT Hyrule Field soundtrack, and so all of my stresses have melted away

Tried to tell y'all about seeing Mario movie art and details, but nobody took the bait smh. The disrespect.

(I sort of thought because details were starting to slip out, that they were gonna show it at Cinemacon).
Ayo I missed this post 👀 I skimmed the Jeff Grubb leak thread because I don't want too many spoilers but like...is it true?

The worst part of Bowser’s Fury is trying to 100% and having to either wait for The Fury Bowser segments to start or having them happen so often at the end that they interrupt you from being able to do the platforming for the cat shines. Defeating him also takes a lot longer when there are no shines to collect. Battling was not fun in my opinion. Still like some of the ideas and the earlier challenges that happen when the fury comes and the world is physically altered. Just needed refinement for 100% runs.

Nintendo web support was not helpful to me just now and had me frustrated

they passed me off to a phone agent

instantly I was put on hold but with OOT Hyrule Field soundtrack, and so all of my stresses have melted away
I have nothing to add except I read that as Nintendo weeb support and I thought you were referring to this forum.

Carry on.

I don't have an OLED but I posted here a few days ago about who good Splatoon 2 still looks. Quite amazing considering it was a Year 1 Switch game but a lot of those 2017 games still hold up really well.
Yeah, Splatoon 3 really has an uphill battle in the visual department because it’s perfection!

Ayo I missed this post 👀 I skimmed the Jeff Grubb leak thread because I don't want too many spoilers but like...is it true?
A lot of it matches up with what I know. Couple things made me scratch my head (comparing the art to Hotel Transylvania does it a disservice, I think), but overall I believe it's largely correct.

A lot of it matches up with what I know. Couple things made me scratch my head (comparing the art to Hotel Transylvania does it a disservice, I think), but overall I believe it's largely correct.
Rad. Looks like it'll be a time to sneak in edibles into the theatre if they haven't already allowed them behind the bar at that point lol

How interesting, we have 2,578 threads and 2,538 Members

no more new threads allowed until we get 41 new members

I don't care about Switch Sports but if even the data mining showed no sign of baseball or boxing and both new Punch-Out!! and Mario Baseball are announced at E3 and shadow dropped the same day that would be cool

The takes that have risen from the Yuji/Square thing are hilarious. Outside of the situation, you would think that Square only makes underperforming games and triple AAA rpgs based on comments.

Sportsmate has knocked Kirby off his thrown at the top of the eShop. Lego Star Wars still holding strong at #3. Force Unleashed is at #5.

Not only Star Wars games sell very well on Switch, multiple Star Wars games sell very well at the same time. So Aspyr don't need that "2 Star Wars remasters per year" thing anymore.

Announce KOTOR2 already.
Announce Rogue Squadron Trilogy !
Ngl, it would be cool if Nintendo could ask them to work on Rogue Squadron 4.

Not only Star Wars games sell very well on Switch, multiple Star Wars games sell very well at the same time. So Aspyr don't need that "2 Star Wars remasters per year" thing anymore.

Announce KOTOR2 already.
Kotor 2 would be great but I also want the original battlefronts

Announce Rogue Squadron Trilogy !
Ngl, it would be cool if Nintendo could ask them to work on Rogue Squadron 4.
They seem to be prioritizing the games they have previously worked on, so Rogue Squadron announcement might come a little later. I reckon they'll bring everything they have before working on them. They need to increase their pace though.
Kotor 2 would be great but I also want the original battlefronts
They did port the original Battlefronts to Mac so they definitely should be a part of their plans. With fully functional online mode, preferably.

Announce KOTOR2 already.

I think there's a chance we'll see KOTOR 2 by the end of the year. A lot of people are saying they want a Rogue Squadron collection. I think those games are coming but think they will be sold 1 by 1. Aspyr could have bundled the KOTOR games or the Jedi Knight games together but they chose to release them individually. I expect the same for Rogue Squadron.

Yesterday at work I was told we'd have a new mentor joining us for their first session, to get some experience; I turn up to the school, and it's a young woman I taught for 3 years back in 2017-2019, all grown up now. She said the program meant so much to her a student that now that she's graduated she wanted to join up, and now it's her first job out of high school.
Was so lovely to see how far she has come and to hear I apparently did okay when I was mentoring her and her classmates back in the day. :)

In slightly less awesome news, my cancer scan results have been delayed by a week til the 9th of May, which means more anxious waiting unfortunately, but oh well, can't be helped I suppose.

Oh that's a shame I figured the scale and gameplay would stand out
I’m gonna say that it depends on what you disliked about 3D World. It’s a free camera, with the levels designed for single player instead of the wide multiplayer areas in 3D world. But the movement and the mechanics are all 3D World.

I really do appreciate how far capcom went to make re7 feel... very western. Not that the re series wasnt always made for western audiences of course, but it always felt like a caricature. Here it really feels personal. If i didnt know i would have totally believed re7 was made by a western team.

Re7 has great aesthetics. For all its problems (gameplay, bosses, how bland ethan is) it has great aesthetics indeed.

I think there's a chance we'll see KOTOR 2 by the end of the year. A lot of people are saying they want a Rogue Squadron collection. I think those games are coming but think they will be sold 1 by 1. Aspyr could have bundled the KOTOR games or the Jedi Knight games together but they chose to release them individually. I expect the same for Rogue Squadron.
I think we'll get Battlefront games and Racer Revenge before Rogue Squadron. They have worked on Battlefront games in the past, they should have the assets to do HD remaster. Maybe they'll skip first one and go straight to second as the second is much like first one but with a lot of extra content.

For Rogue Squadron... All three games were "remastered" for Wii as one package, with loads of extras, ready to be released but canned for whatever reason. Aspyr needs to contact with the original devs, Julian Eggbrecht possibly, to obtain the assets to do the remaster. I expect it to be the Wii version rather than older games as Aspyr seems to be interested in implementing motion controls.

The compilation is called "Rogue Leaders", by the way:

For Rogue Squadron... All three games were "remastered" for Wii as one package, with loads of extras, ready to be released but canned for whatever reason. Aspyr needs to contact with the original devs, Julian Eggbrecht possibly, to obtain the assets to do the remaster. I expect it to be the Wii version rather than older games as Aspyr seems to be interested in implementing motion controls.
I always understand Wii Rougue Leaders was a remaster/mashup/ultimate version of Gamecube titles, with addition of lightsaber duels with wiimote. If I understand correctly, SW RS3: Rebel Strike includes all missions of RS2 as co-op. There was no N64 RG titles or content on the Wii compilation.

If these games comes someday, it needs a heavy remaster work like Xenoblade DE. Add online co-op and a pvp multiplayer mode. (Something really simple like Rebels vs Empire lol). I think a game that takes RG2/3 content/story and expanded with more missions based on OG trilogy, including on foot missions ( even moments like Rogue One last fight or a recreation of Mandalorian Season 2 finale) would be great.

Though I agree they will port Kotor 2, Force Unleashed 2, Battlefront 2 before thinking of Rogue Squadrons. I’m curios if they will ever touch Shadow of the Empire.

Last edited:
With Octo Expansion on NSO, I'm finally making my way through the original Splatoon 2 campaign. I played a few hours but didn't make it all the way through. I'm about to start the boss of the 3rd zone. I know Octo is the real meaty single player but the one is the base game is pretty fun and can be difficult at times. Not sure if I'll jump back in multiplayer. I'll probably just play the expansion and then wait for Splatoon 3 before getting into multiplayer again.

With Octo Expansion on NSO, I'm finally making my way through the original Splatoon 2 campaign. I played a few hours but didn't make it all the way through. I'm about to start the boss of the 3rd zone. I know Octo is the real meaty single player but the one is the base game is pretty fun and can be difficult at times. Not sure if I'll jump back in multiplayer. I'll probably just play the expansion and then wait for Splatoon 3 before getting into multiplayer again.
Octo is loads better since the boss battles are better and the difficulty, while high, is scalable. Probably my favorite Nintendo single player campaign ever.

I always understand Wii Rougue Leaders was a remaster/mashup/ultimate version of Gamecube titles, with addition of lightsaber duels with wiimote. If I understand correctly, SW RS3: Rebel Strike includes all missions of RS2 as co-op. There was no N64 RG titles or content on the Wii compilation.

If these games comes someday, it needs a heavy remaster work like Xenoblade DE. Add online co-op and a pvp multiplayer mode. (Something really simple like Rebels vs Empire lol).
Yeah, there was no concrete info about this game unfortunately. IGN's report was this being a collection of all of the games but that's it. They didn't have any more info other than this trailer, which just shows parts of 2nd and 3rd games. OG RS also did have snowspeeder vs AT-AT levels, but the one in the trailer was from RS3.

If Aspyr is ever to remaster the series, they'd work with Eggbrecht and remaster whatever he possesses right now. Even with this compilation, there should be massive amount of work needs to be done to bring it to Switch, like implementation of button controls. We don't know even if it has the all levels from second and third game, they might add the rest if that's the case.

I really do appreciate how far capcom went to make re7 feel... very western. Not that the re series wasnt always made for western audiences of course, but it always felt like a caricature. Here it really feels personal. If i didnt know i would have totally believed re7 was made by a western team.

Re7 has great aesthetics. For all its problems (gameplay, bosses, how bland ethan is) it has great aesthetics indeed.
Although RE7 isn't among my series favorites, I'm surprised you'd list the bosses as a problem area. I'd consider Marguerite one of the better boss fights not just in 7, but maybe even the whole series.

So the sale is live, and I'm a bit tempted by the TWEWY games.

Some questions. Is it necessary to play the first game before NEO? Should I even play the first game at all? Or, is the first game better? Or did NEO improve everything across the board?
The original The World Ends With You is my favorite DS/3DS game of all time. That original version is the ideal way to play the game, but it is hard to acquire and it is missing the extra New Day levels of the Switch version (that you could just watch on Youtube). 2nd best option is playing the Switch version however the original combat is gutted here as it removes the original two screen combat that was super enjoyable, satisfying, and even had thematic purpose. The rest of the game still holds up and there’s tons of new songs/remixes that are awesome and it has the New Day scenario that leads into Neo. If you do play this version, definitely play it in handheld with a stylus or don’t bother. The third best option is the anime on either Crunchyroll or Funimation. This is obviously the easiest way to go about it, but it makes a few odd changes to the story and some of the side characters obviously get a bit shafted. It also doesn’t contain the New Day stuff, so you’d have to see that on Youtube. It’s definitely not amazing, but the anime is solid enough.

All of that said, Neo The World Ends With You is absolutely fantastic and was my Game of the Year last year. It does feature returning characters, but it’s 80% focused on new characters and I feel it’s written in such a way that you can go back to the first game if you enjoy it to get all the details. I really recommend trying out the demo that doesn’t feature all of the systems that get people hooked on it, but does give an initial sense of the combat and vibe of the story. Your save transfers to the full game if you like it.

Although RE7 isn't among my series favorites, I'm surprised you'd list the bosses as a problem area. I'd consider Marguerite one of the better boss fights not just in 7, but maybe even the whole series.
I do agree that marguerite was a very good boss. But jack's battles 1 and 2 soured the game for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom