• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST7 Apr. 2022| Launch Timing Update For ST7 Sequel

Which sport are you playing first in Switch Sports?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I want Naka to strike SquareEnix with such passionate force that they split back apart into Square and Enix.
If this happens, and Enix gets to hold onto Dragon Quest, Nintendo is finally going to make a corporate acquisiton.

Like, legit, I think Nintendo would want to own Dragon Quest more than anything else third party.

If you like musou games, it's decent fun, especially for only 20โ‚ฌ. It's a spin-off game and pretty different from the mainline games, though, so it might not feel quite like getting into Fire Emblem "proper" compared to those.

That said, if you decide to try it and there's characters in it you really like, you can always check which game they're from and hop into the series that way :)
Well I like Musou, love HW and Age of Calamity (also huge Zelda fan) and I've been thinking about continuining the trend of the Switch introducing me to franchises like Metroid, Xenoblade and soon Fire Emblem that I never played!

Well I like Musou, love HW and Age of Calamity (also huge Zelda fan) and I've been thinking about continuining the trend of the Switch introducing me to franchises like Metroid, Xenoblade and soon Fire Emblem that I never played!
Oh, nice! You would probably have a fun time with it then :D

Nothing can ever be a hobby anymore. We're expected to monetize absolutely every aspect of our existence. It's exhausting. I hate it.
itโ€™s so fucked, grind culture and social media culture brewing together with a spiraling wealth gap and bootstraps bullshit spewed from an inherited pulpit of fame, fortune, and venture capital

sick of being told every facet of our internal lives can be profitable (but only so long as it profits the titans more than us) and that poverty is a moral failing

driving the idea that if we all just did more of their work for them, weโ€™d earn a few more scraps while they fling themselves to space or buy out the means of communication

and it is planted so firmly that everyone is growing up without knowledge of the alternative, aspiring to profit from being another tacky shadow mouthpiece for god knows what billionaire at unfathomable cost to self, thought, and truth โ€” let alone this world

no time to be, no plane of existence, no shade in the shadow of the tower, burning

building floors higher than the fire can climb while we choke on the ashes

How good is Civilization 6 on Switch ? Is the base game content enough for someone who has never played any game in the series ? I'm tempted to buy a strategy game and I'm hesitating with Xcom 2, but the performance issues are making me reconsider the purchase.

How good is Civilization 6 on Switch ? Is the base game content enough for someone who has never played any game in the series ? I'm tempted to buy a strategy game and I'm hesitating with Xcom 2, but the performance issues are making me reconsider the purchase.
I enjoyed it (altho I had more fun with IV and V). Can get a little slow on big maps with a ton of stuff happening, but I mean it's turn based so it's not like you need to be able to react in a fraction of a second. It takes a while getting used to the UI (i.e. remember where everything is, etc.), but in the end it's Civ and it's addictive as hell.

So the sale is live, and I'm a bit tempted by the TWEWY games.

Some questions. Is it necessary to play the first game before NEO? Should I even play the first game at all? Or, is the first game better? Or did NEO improve everything across the board?

Sony really was onto something with Borderlands 2 on Vita. Awful port, probably due to sky-high ambition that couldnโ€™t be met, but the Switch version is a great port and it makes a hell of a handheld game.

Some questions. Is it necessary to play the first game before NEO? Should I even play the first game at all? Or, is the first game better? Or did NEO improve everything across the board?
NEO is so much better if youโ€™ve played the first one first. Itโ€™s not 100% required and I guess you could watch the anime instead, but itโ€™s specifically a sequel to the Switch version of the first game.

If this happens, and Enix gets to hold onto Dragon Quest, Nintendo is finally going to make a corporate acquisiton.

Like, legit, I think Nintendo would want to own Dragon Quest more than anything else third party.

I think DQ could finally get to be huge in the west if Nintendo owned it.

I think DQ could finally get to be huge in the west if Nintendo owned it.
I think Nintendo has proven time and time again that they care a LOT about Dragon Quest, usually being the ones funding NA releases when Square Enix clearly doesn't want to. On top of that, they clearly see the marketability of the franchise outside of games, as DQ merch is very popular. It'd tie into their desire to have a strong portfolio of recognizable and merchandisable characters, related to games or otherwise.

They should take taito as well, as I donโ€™t think square really cares that much despite the wealth of compilations theyโ€™ve made recently.

Never played NEO, but I played the first game on the DS waaaay back and it was an incredible experience so...
itโ€™s so fucked, grind culture and social media culture brewing together with a spiraling wealth gap and bootstraps bullshit spewed from an inherited pulpit of fame, fortune, and venture capital

sick of being told every facet of our internal lives can be profitable (but only so long as it profits the titans more than us) and that poverty is a moral failing

driving the idea that if we all just did more of their work for them, weโ€™d earn a few more scraps while they fling themselves to space or buy out the means of communication

and it is planted so firmly that everyone is growing up without knowledge of the alternative, aspiring to profit from being another tacky shadow mouthpiece for god knows what billionaire at unfathomable cost to self, thought, and truth โ€” let alone this world

no time to be, no plane of existence, no shade in the shadow of the tower, burning

building floors higher than the fire can climb while we choke on the ashes
Yep, yep, yep. This so much. I'm tired of it, and I'm also tired of the times when I think "man, I'm wasting my time reading/playing video games/whatever instead of doing something profitable".

Sony really was onto something with Borderlands 2 on Vita. Awful port, probably due to sky-high ambition that couldnโ€™t be met, but the Switch version is a great port and it makes a hell of a handheld game.

I didn't really enjoy the borderlands trilogy as handheld games... maybe it's because when I played them originally in the 360 I did so in couch co-op?

Yooooo this could also meant Quintet remasters/remakes or even new games. And a proper Valkyrie Profile revival :)

I've been on a real Sonic kick lately, for obvious reasons. During play, I can't help but wonder what it is that some people don't see in these games that I obviously do. I have spent the past decade just ignoring the "there has never been a good Sonic, actually" crowd, but now I am genuinely curious.

Long story short, could someone please explain to me what the Sonic hating crowd is getting at? What is it about bonafide classics like Sonic 2, 3, and Knuckles that they view as faulty?

Happy to see Mario Party Superstars hanging out in the eShop top 10 (in the US at least). It turned out so well, totally deserved.

Look I don't want to defend Square Enix here at all

but uhhh

What if Yuji Naka isn't innocent in all this

I mean, a LOT of people clearly wanted him out? I've heard stories about his ego...
It seems to me everyone involved shares the blame.

Apparently they talk about new Fire Emblem? I can't listen at the moment but is it about Three Hopes or new mainline?

Edit: Just Three Hopes it seems.

Last edited:
I've been on a real Sonic kick lately, for obvious reasons. During play, I can't help but wonder what it is that some people don't see in these games that I obviously do. I have spent the past decade just ignoring the "there has never been a good Sonic, actually" crowd, but now I am genuinely curious.

Long story short, could someone please explain to me what the Sonic hating crowd is getting at? What is it about bonafide classics like Sonic 2, 3, and Knuckles that they view as faulty?
Some people think that classic Sonic games are poorly designed because they canโ€™t react to some obstacles in time when going fast. Even though thatโ€™s kind of the point, itโ€™s a risk/reward thing and more speed is the result of skillful play. But if youโ€™ve only played Mario-style platformers it could be a somewhat steep learning curve.

Some other people are just trolling and want to hate on Sonic but there are legit complaints out there.

Zombie Army 4 is such a great port. Having a blast in handheld mode. Not surprising given pretty much every Rebellion port has been sublime.

I can't wait to finally see some Starfield gameplay. I'm really not looking forward to the inevitable graphics debate though. "It doesn't look as good as _____ or ______ games Bethesda is trash" go touch some grass please.

I think the level design in all Sonic games is at very best hit or miss and at worst just bad. Even just beyond feeling cheap (which it often can be especially if you don't go back and replay levels over and over, though I understand some people like that about the games) I just find it poorly thought out and sort of haphazard. I still lile the Sonic aesthetics/music but the games themselves are not for me

I think the level design in all Sonic games is at very best hit or miss and at worst just bad. Even just beyond feeling cheap (which it often can be especially if you don't go back and replay levels over and over, though I understand some people like that about the games) I just find it poorly thought out and sort of haphazard. I still lile the Sonic aesthetics/music but the games themselves are not for me
Is it bad, or just different? Like, the layout of a Sonic level is intentionally different than other platformers. They are organized in tiers, with each tier offering a slightly different experience. In the good Sonic games I would argue that the designs are excellent.

Prizes.png

Prizes have been announced (but not revealed lol) and badges are officially live for the Community Event! Check out the 1.0.2 patch notes here:

I'm not surprised that Reggie supports NFTs. We have to remember that he comes from a business background, specifically in marketing and sales. He's basically lived his life and career with a money making mindset. That's very different than someone like Iwata who came from an engineering and creative background.

I think Iwata being a former developer is the reason why so many business analysts like Michael Patcher did not like Iwata, even while he was bringing in billions to Nintendo. He was succeeding in a business man's world and rubbed people the wrong way. They were quick to pounce on any perceived failure or declare any success to being below what it could have been.

I took a shower while blasting this out of my speakers:

I feel R E F R E S H E D!

Listening to Nate's podcast and MVG sounding very bearish on the idea of Gamecube even coming to NSO when it would be more profitable to do traditional remasters in HD as opposed to 480p. It makes sense, but honestly I'm worried about the cutoff for where they give up on potential remasters entirely for their less successful games.

Nintendo has 45 first party title's released on GC, and as I ranted before (not sure if this thread or the Direct Speculation thread) their best selling title was Melee at a mere 7mil out of 22mil consoles sold globally in its lifespan. I worry what kind of algebra algorithm they'll produce to see which titles are worthwhile ports, because outside of Sunshine (already done), Wind Waker/Twilight Princess (Wii U ports), and Metroid Prime (rumoured forever), I really don't see Nintendo giving much love if any to the Gamecube. If a series already has representation on Switch it's in the form of a new entry at this point (Paper Mario, Mario Kart/Party/Tennis/Golf/Strikers, Luigi's Mansion, Fire Emblem, WarioWare, Animal Crossing), a Wii U port (Pikmin 3) beyond that I can't see the lesser games like F-Zero, Custom Robo, Wario World, Kirby Air Ride, StarFox, or Chibi Robo getting any kind of love or representation. The only one that has a half-decent chance is Pikmin 1 & 2, but even then...

Thank God I'm not super fans of Wave Race or Odama, because those are definitely deader than dead ๐Ÿ™ƒ

Last edited:
If Nintendo was to ever acquire platinum games, how would y'all reactions be?
Acquisitions bad. Studios going out of business is worse.

Sonic is arguably more dependent on its level design than any other character. A Mario level that isnโ€™t designed all that great can still be fun to hop around where as a poorly designed sonic level is a miserable death trap

I am a fan of classic Sonic but they are incredibly inconsistent when it comes to the levels. Sonic 3 & Knuckles I think by far fairs the best with not all that much to complain about. Sonic 2 is mostly good but there are some real stinkers in there where I start to go โ€œyeah maybe Iโ€™ve had enough of this game for nowโ€ and turn it off. Then thereโ€™s Sonic 1 which I honestly canโ€™t even bring myself to bother with after the first two zones.

Thereโ€™s having to make clear decisions quickly which is great when it worksโ€ฆand then thereโ€™s randomly guessing what you are supposed to do because the game doesnโ€™t do a great job of making whatโ€™s coming clear. I.e is this a cliff or an area Iโ€™m supposed to jump down toโ€ฆ guess I gotta just jump and find out oh my god Iโ€™m dead

They donโ€™t do stuff like that nearly as Sonic games that would come later but itโ€™s still there

Sonic Mania I think is one of the only Sonic games that where even if the level isnโ€™t my favorite, the baseline quality of the game doesnโ€™t fall off of a cliff literally

Yes, NEO references the first game quite a lot

The first game is my favorite DS game so I donโ€™t know exactly how the single screen versions differ but apparently the Switch version only works as a handheld only game that uses the touch screen. If thatโ€™s your only way to play it itโ€™s still fine since despite missing out on the way it used both screens for battle, the game is still much more than that. Very unique RPG, there is nothing quite like it really.

NEO is basically the same kind of game but adapted for traditional controls. I wouldnโ€™t say itโ€™s better across the board, some โ€œchaptersโ€ are definitely not as fun as others, thereโ€™s kind of some repetition/pacing issues at times but nothing too detracting since the combat is still very fun. The first game is still overall better I think, it still stands out from the sequel in terms of mechanics. NEO was a surprise because it came out like 14 years after the original but it didnโ€™t alienate the fanbase or anything. The story is surprisingly nice as well, they did a good job of writing characters to appeal to this current generation without sounding out of touch. But yes it is very much a sequel that heavily references the first game.

Hey, so I'm going to start getting back on posting. I know that no one here missed me since I was not actually one of the most present anyway. Did not have the best start of year and was feeling kind of down, but I guess now some things are starting to get better, met my nephew a few weeks, started dating and I've been kind of missing posting my dumb things here again. So I'll try to be more present.

I've not played NEO yet, the first game is fun, characters, story, everything oozes style in that game, but I hated the combat, saw some people saying to do some stuff that made it better to them, but to me none of it really helped and I never felt like I had a precise control in what I was doing. In the end I was glad to never have to get into another combat in that game. Played when it was free on the NSO, not sure if I would ever spend money on it after playing.
The little of the NEO demo I've played makes it seems way more enjoyable to control and I want to get the full game sometime, not sure if the story is better or worse, but it is waiting for me on my wishlist.

Listening to Nate's podcast and MVG sounding very bearish on the idea of Gamecube even coming to NSO when it would be more profitable to do traditional remasters in HD as opposed to 480p. It makes sense, but honestly I'm worried about the cutoff for where they give up on potential remasters entirely for their less successful games.

They have 45 first party title's released on GC, and as I ranted before (not sure if this thread or the Direct Speculation thread) their best selling was Melee at a mere 7mil out of 22mil consoles sold globally in its lifespan. I worry what kind of algebra algorithm they'll produce to see which titles are worthwhile ports, because outside of Sunshine (already done), Wind Waker/Twilight Princess (Wii U ports), and Metroid Prime (rumoured forever), I really don't see Nintendo giving much love if any to the Gamecube. If a series already has representation on Switch it's in the form of a new entry at this point (Paper Mario, Mario Kart/Party/Tennis/Golf/Strikers, Luigi's Mansion, Fire Emblem, WarioWare, Animal Crossing), a Wii U port (Pikmin 3) beyond that I can't see the lesser games like F-Zero, Custom Robo, Wario World, Kirby Air Ride, StarFox, or Chibi Robo getting any kind of love or representation. The only one that has a half-decent chance is Pikmin 1 & 2, but even then...

Thank God I'm not super fans of Wave Race or Odama, because those are definitely deader than dead ๐Ÿ™ƒ

I would hope we see more GC games get the remaster treatment as we enter the last few years of the Switches life. The next couple of years will see the bigger Ninty teams release their latest games, realistically that would be their last big game on Switch until Switch 2. GC/Wii/3DS remasters make perfect sense to pad out the twilight years of Switch.

Hey, so I'm going to start getting back on posting. I know that no one here missed me since I was not actually one of the most present anyway. Did not have the best start of year and was feeling kind of down, but I guess now some things are starting to get better, met my nephew a few weeks, started dating and I've been kind of missing posting my dumb things here again. So I'll try to be more present.
Happy to see you again! It's great that things are starting to get better, I wish you the best for the rest of the year.
It's always nice to read things, even better when they're dumb.

I just read through the English version that Naka himself just posted. So disappointing that this is how his career as a game dev ended, by being pushed out for trying to do a good job.
So he says... From anecdotal retellings Yuji Naka wasn't the best boss and had a bit of an ego during his height at Sega

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom