• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST6 Mar. 2022| Marchful Mode

What is the best (non-Kirby) Kirby franchise main character?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Only those who have collected 900 korok seeds in BOTW 1,000 moons on Odyssey, 100% Dread run on instant kill, and birdies on all holes of Super Rush will get first dibs on a Switch 2 pre-order.
Nintendo will also send you a life sized golden shit for doing those things.

Did get all the moons myslef

well if Shiggy doesn't personally deliver my Switch Pro then I'll have no choice but to declare Steam Deck as the winner of the handheld wars

Back on Era or maybe GAF, I don't really remember, there was a thread about missing crucial mechanics in video games. And one example that particularly stuck with me was this person who didn't realize they could run in Resident Evil 4. As someone who counts RE4 as one of their absolute favourite games of all time, it blew my mind. I've beaten it several times and think it's reasonably challenging as is, the thought that someone played it and didn't think there was something wrong with it was hilarious.

Today I realized that I am the guy who doesn't know how to run in Resident Evil 4. To preface, I've finished Dark Souls 1 and Sekiro and made it reasonably far into DeS, DS2 and Bloodborne but eventually dropped them. I am now 20ish hours into Dark Souls 3 (my second attempt at the game) and had several "oh shit" moments about things I should have known:

• I forgot about Embers and beat pretty much all bosses until Pontiff Sulyvahn in hollowed state. The reason why I remembered this mechanic was because I was still rekindled from the Yhorm boss fight and "accidentally" summoned an NPC to help me.
  • I went up to Anor Londo without realizing that I had been fat rolling the entire time in my Lothric Knight set.
  • I'm running a strength build and only just now, in the Consumed King's Garden, noticed that I can basically break most guards in 2 hits.

All this time I thought I was playing Dark Souls like this

guts-in-front-of-dragonslayer-from-berserk.jpg

Turns out I was actually

Jzim5Or.png
This is me in literally any video game ever. I never really understood why Mario has a spinny jump in Mario World so I never used it. Anything RPG like? I just don't understand them and build sub-optimal builds and don't use half the abilities because I get overwhelmed and forget things.

I didn't start playing many console games till I was an adult, so I don't have a lot the basic knowledge, but then I beat games out of sheer cussedness

well if Shiggy doesn't personally deliver my Switch Pro then I'll have no choice but to declare Steam Deck as the winner of the handheld wars
We honestly need a video of Gabe Newell, Phil Spencer, and Doug Bowser carpooling to someone in Seattle and giving them all these consoles like it’s a publishers clearinghouse sweepstakes.

Last edited:
Again, mostly my OCD/anxiety talking, but please dear gosh if it's a successor I hope it's not coming this year. A revision a la New 3DS or PS4 Pro would be fine, I have nothing against that, but seeing one of the most wildly successful systems of all time cut down in the prime of its life would be so depressing.
Switch doesn't need to be replaced yet, it's still healthy and thriving.

I'm gonna be real honest: I'm massively skeptical of any new hardware this year. If there is something, it will be an iterative model of the Switch (maybe with some slight performance enhancements a la New 3DS), but I just don't see a massive overhaul of the system this year. I look forward to wearing clown makeup when I'm wrong, but for now I'm sticking to this.

Maybe a significantly beefed-up Switch was originally on the cards, but some major, years-long world event changed their plans.

Again, mostly my OCD/anxiety talking, but please dear gosh if it's a successor I hope it's not coming this year. A revision a la New 3DS or PS4 Pro would be fine, I have nothing against that, but seeing one of the most wildly successful systems of all time cut down in the prime of its life would be so depressing.
Yeah, same here. There is legit no reason to release a Switch successor right now, especially in the middle of a massive chip shortage that would significantly hinder launch.

Whatever this is, it's a revision if it's coming soon.

Look at the software line up and the way Nintendo are updating services. Switch isn't a platform that's about to get cut off - it is a platform that's very likely going to have another hardware model, even if it's effectively a second generation Switch.

Yes that is persona 3 Portable that I have on there, one of the few games I have for my psp but never finished. Maybe I should rectify that

I swear, if Nintendo ALSO has a new Switch model (That has a dock upgrade) ON TOP OF EVERYTHING THIS YEAR

:mad::mad::mad:💲💲💲💲💲
Your avatar really sells the consternation.

Only those who have collected 900 korok seeds in BOTW 1,000 moons on Odyssey, 100% Dread run on instant kill, and birdies on all holes of Super Rush will get first dibs on a Switch 2 pre-order.
What about those who have played through every Xenoblade game multiple times each?

With Nintendo hinting that the Switch is in the middle of its life, I'm pretty sure we should be expecting a Switch Pro rather than a true successor. I can see Nintendo games still releasing on the base model but with framerate and resolution improvements with the Drake.

Third parties will prioritize the largest playerbase so certain games will continue to release on the Switch while more demanding games will be exclusive to Drake, especially when developers don't want to bother about optimization or don't have the resources to do it.

I'm pretty sure we're safe for now, MK8DX dlc shows us that Nintendo won't replace the current model until late 2023 and with Furakawa at the head of Nintendo they certainly won't risk making a transition too sudden for the playerbase. He is a marketing guy and was the Managing Executive Officer of the Corporate Analysis & Administration Division before. He certainly knows what he's doing and I'm sure it'll be okay !

This is me in literally any video game ever. I never really understood why Mario has a spinny jump in Mario World so I never used it. Anything RPG like? I just don't understand them and build sub-optimal builds and don't use half the abilities because I get overwhelmed and forget things.

I didn't start playing many console games till I was an adult, so I don't have a lot the basic knowledge, but then I beat games out of sheer cussedness
I'll be honest, SMB1 was my first video game and I never use the spinny jump in SMW lmao

I can definitely relate to feeling overwhelmed, especially when it comes to getting into series with a higher barrier of entry. If I don't know the basic "language" of the game, I'm more likely to abandon it. Dark Souls is basically me being "strong man swing big sword" for as much as I can, don't have time for all that fancy stuff other people are doing.

Back on Era or maybe GAF, I don't really remember, there was a thread about missing crucial mechanics in video games. And one example that particularly stuck with me was this person who didn't realize they could run in Resident Evil 4. As someone who counts RE4 as one of their absolute favourite games of all time, it blew my mind. I've beaten it several times and think it's reasonably challenging as is, the thought that someone played it and didn't think there was something wrong with it was hilarious.

Today I realized that I am the guy who doesn't know how to run in Resident Evil 4. To preface, I've finished Dark Souls 1 and Sekiro and made it reasonably far into DeS, DS2 and Bloodborne but eventually dropped them. I am now 20ish hours into Dark Souls 3 (my second attempt at the game) and had several "oh shit" moments about things I should have known:

• I forgot about Embers and beat pretty much all bosses until Pontiff Sulyvahn in hollowed state. The reason why I remembered this mechanic was because I was still rekindled from the Yhorm boss fight and "accidentally" summoned an NPC to help me.
  • I went up to Anor Londo without realizing that I had been fat rolling the entire time in my Lothric Knight set.
  • I'm running a strength build and only just now, in the Consumed King's Garden, noticed that I can basically break most guards in 2 hits.

All this time I thought I was playing Dark Souls like this

guts-in-front-of-dragonslayer-from-berserk.jpg

Turns out I was actually

Jzim5Or.png
In Bloodborne I didn't know visceral attacks were a thing until I accidentally did one in new game +, pretty much ignored the sidearm for my whole first playthrough and just used two handed Ludwig's

In Bloodborne I didn't know visceral attacks were a thing until I accidentally did one in new game +
When I first played dark souls, I didn’t realize light attacks were a thing and I was mainly using heavy attacks the whole time. Made the game harder for myself by accident lol

Was this part posted yet? Because this would explain a lot.

Nah, that isn't possible. Orin was always planned for 2022 as far back as in 2019, and Drake is a variant of Orin. It was never delayed.

Console development is a years long process, there's nothing surprising about some files originating in 2019.

Ironically, these busy days with big news/leaks are the days where i play the least. Today, it was a bit of Animal Crossing, a bit of Earthbound, and then hours of scrolling down these threads

Switch Pro either late this year or early 2023 and a Switch 2 in 2026/2027. Throw in an OLED Lite in 2024.

If these features were called BSLL and Bay Bracing no one would care

Breaking out my sax for the first time in a few months, getting ready to jam with some friends for the first time since September.

Feels like cathartic relief, tbh. It's still cool to play the Mortal Kombat melody at any given moment, yeah?

Watching Wheel of Fortune. They found three people who were unfamiliar with the phrase "feather in your cap," leading to an absolutely wild round.

I have a regular Switch, I just bought a Switch Lite in October, and I'm in the que to buy a Steam Dexk later this year. But if a Switch Pro is announced for next year, I WILL buy it.

Speaking of Steam Deck, holy cow, that thing is an emulation beast. I've always wanted to try emulators, and now it looks like I'll finally have the perfect platform for it.

I'm of the same opinion. Sometimes I get a little anxious when people talk about a full successor like it's a sure thing for next year, because well, I only got my Switch last November, and the console is having a insane year as far as software goes, makes zero sense to release a full successor so early.
But if it's a New 3DS or PS4 Pro revision style, it's very welcome. Also I think people forgot really fast Microsoft had a revision for Xbox One(X) more powerful than the next gen entry model(Series S) when they talk about it being a successor based on its power alone.

Look at the software line up and the way Nintendo are updating services. Switch isn't a platform that's about to get cut off - it is a platform that's very likely going to have another hardware model, even if it's effectively a second generation Switch.
This, you just look at the 2022 lineup, and think about what's coming in 2023, and how, well, the base console is going through shortages still and sells every unit that's shipped, literally no point in releasing a successor. They can release a marginally better hardware that features 4k through DLSS and runs games better this holiday or next holiday, no matter how more powerful it is, they just aren't going to, say, release the next 3D Mario or Metroid Prime 4 or whatever exclusive to it, nor can they make a launch lineup for a new console this fast after BotW2, Splatoon 3, Switch Sports, Pokémon S/V for 2022, DLC support for those games, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and more for 2022 and 2023, and possibly 3D Mario, Metroid Prime 4 and whatever 2023 will bring.

With Nintendo hinting that the Switch is in the middle of its life, I'm pretty sure we should be expecting a Switch Pro rather than a true successor. I can see Nintendo games still releasing on the base model but with framerate and resolution improvements with the Drake.

Third parties will prioritize the largest playerbase so certain games will continue to release on the Switch while more demanding games will be exclusive to Drake, especially when developers don't want to bother about optimization or don't have the resources to do it.

I'm pretty sure we're safe for now, MK8DX dlc shows us that Nintendo won't replace the current model until late 2023 and with Furakawa at the head of Nintendo they certainly won't risk making a transition too sudden for the playerbase. He is a marketing guy and was the Managing Executive Officer of the Corporate Analysis & Administration Division before. He certainly knows what he's doing and I'm sure it'll be okay !
Exactly!!!
Even on the third party front, we can still expect the likes of Resident Evils Revelations 3 (if it's still a thing), Monster Hunter Rise 2, games by the Asano team and so on, the exclusives, games made with the Switch in mind, to still release in both models, with performance and graphical features on the Pro model, for 2023, 2024 and beyond.
The likes of Resident Evil 4 Remake, and other cross gen games can have native versions only on the more powerful model. But we'll still receive some miracle ports, remasters of older games, and third party exclusives. It'll basically change nothing except games that we have Cloud versions having native versions.
Now, Nintendo first party games? Hell no lol.

I hope everyone's day has gone well, wherever you are! As for me, I just got subway for dinner (I know, long dead joke), but I only did so because the nearby panera bread was completely out of... bread.

Anyways, I hope to finish the Triangle Strategy demo tonight. There's a lot more talking scenes than I anticipated but I'm enjoying it!

Oh, Nikki leaked basically the whole chipset, RAM and etc from the OG Switch back in 2016/17. I believe them and I agree that's most likely a revision that's coming later than planned (which is not that late considering Switch will probably have a longer lifecycle than PS4/XONE, and there's also chip shortage, covid and so on into the equation) and definitely not a successor like Switch was to Wii U and 3DS.
Edit: just saw Skittzo's post on why it wasn't delayed.

Yeah, same here. There is legit no reason to release a Switch successor right now, especially in the middle of a massive chip shortage that would significantly hinder launch.

Whatever this is, it's a revision if it's coming soon.

I've said this elsewhere, but I'll say it here to sooth folks (if it helps): for a backwards compatible device, the difference between revision and successor isn't in the hardware, it's in the software.If Nintendo stops developing for the Classic switch, it's a successor. If they don't it's a revision. Nintendo can have started the slow process of developing new hardware, and as long as they planned for backwards compat they can reposition as they want.

I suspect they want to do a third thing - a new revision, a couple years of cross gen, then all dev goes to the new device. Like GameBoy color, with a really long "generation"

My other thoughts on the game aside, Elden Ring has probably the most awe-inspiring open world I've ever seen. I'm hopeful that with 5-6 years of development and using the same map Breath of the Wild 2 is able to replicate some of that same wonder.

Breath of the Wild is still my personal GOAT but I really wish the open world had more to find and more rewards for exploring.

Switch hardware revisions usually launch in September/October so this tracks.

What if Xenoblade 3 was delayed to be close to this new hardware that it's going to take full advantage of?
On one hand, I REALLY hope that Xenoblade 3 gets some nice boosts from the Drake. The problem with that is if the Drake doesn't come out until October and XC3 releases in September, will I have the willpower to wait until then? And avoid spoilers? I know, first world problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom