• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST6 Mar. 2022| Marchful Mode

What is the best (non-Kirby) Kirby franchise main character?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not the biggest fan of the amount of weird spiraling and stress that comes out of a lot of the future hardware discourse, so… I hope everyone keeps it cool and doesn’t crank the jack-in-the-box too enthusiastically, lest we all be sprung clowns
  • Switch is good and we like games
  • new hardware will come someday, inevitably
  • we can’t assume anything about the scope of that final hardware, even with things we know
  • people who know shit aren’t lying even when shit doesn’t come true
  • it also does not matter who does or does not know things
  • but some people do actually have a window of insight, even if not a full picture
  • there is no point fighting about even highly evidenced hypotheticals
  • info tidbits are possibilities
  • tidbits are subject to the laws of telephone
  • everything is subject to change for any reason
  • don’t dunk people for not giving a shit about new hardware
  • don’t act like the existing hardware is suddenly not what games are being made for
  • be excited and speculate if you wanna but don’t act like it’s the only thing we’re here to talk about
  • it is not so serious
  • it is all air until it is announced
  • it is all tangible air until it is in your hands
  • Nintendo gets the final say in anything concrete
  • I don’t know why I’m listing shit
  • I don’t think I should post this
  • I am not an authority
  • I am not several spiders
  • oh no

I lied

7d3ed42da70481af042556f8cb260565.jpg
You mean

You Irithyllied?

I’ll be excited about new hardware when it’s finally announced.

I remember the WUST threads. Oh I membah.

also big shout out to Drake for not being Dane

Dane’s a stupid fucking name and I hate it

so’s Drake but it doesn’t fill me with automatic rage unless we’re talking about like Drake the creep-ass music man

I'll probably hold it for an episode but the basics are: dev kits went out in late 2020 and continued distribution into 2021, RT/DLSS support (which is confirmed further today), select games targeting end of 2022 release window.

And for those that now claim this was "obvious" or has previously said Nikkie, Mochi, and I made it all up for clicks: kindly go outside and touch grass.
You're being alot nicer than I'd be

me: “don’t pick fights over arbitrary shit”

also me: “your name is categorically dumb and I’ll fight you for no other reason”

What is there to discuss at this point? This only confirms what what was already well-rumored, outside of incorrectly speculated launch windows.

Until something is actually officially announced, we don't know Nintendo's actual plan as far as launch timing, etc and nothing here really changes that.

Nintendo is already struggling to produce OLED switches and get them in stores and is likely gonna wait to add another even more expensive item to their manufacturing pipeline when they can produce more regular and lite switches which are still selling very well.

Until market factors make it worthwhile, and they've already implemented some prices cuts to the current line, Nintendo is not in any rush to add a more powerful switch or successor, and certainly not just to appease the hardcore gamer who is complaining about lack of power.

It's always wise to wait until official announcements for these kinds of things before getting your hopes up.
Getting your hopes up and having a random discussion about it on a gaming forum are two different things

also also me every time I find a site of grace in Elden Ring: “REACH OUT AND TOUCH GRACE”

I feel compelled to say re: whether BOTW would come out this fall/holiday alongside Xenoblade, Pokemon, and potentially something else.... Nintendo is not worried that you're not going to buy BOTW. Switch era has proven that some (more the usual) titles are going to be evergreen. Zelda and Pokemon are certainly among them. If BOTW comes in October and Pokemon in November, for example, there are large groups of customers who (1) buy both at launch, or (2) budget one for the fall and one for sometime next year. I just don't think there's a calculation where there are people who WANT to buy BOTW but NEVER WILL because Pokemon comes out a month later. They'll get it soon enough. "Pushing" BOTW to March or whatever will not save anything in the long run.
Point of information. There is a thing called the time value of money. It is better to get the revenue now than later. Project economics use a factor called discount rate, which accounts for this, depreciating the value of revenue (and cost for that matter) the further into the future it is.

So it is not in Nintendo's interest to release the game if it is going to encourage a large amount of deferral among what would have been early day buyers.

The flipside though is that delaying the game defers all the revenue, which means ultimately your point is actually completely correct.

lol, I know the feeling. The end parts of DS3 are fun but a little... sudden? IMO? And if you don't do the optional boss (the main one I'm thinking of) I'd definitely Youtube it at least, it's a super cool spectacle fight.

I went the other way and I'm now at the Consumed King's Garden so I guess I'm going for some optional content...

The S.S. Drake is the name of Alph’s ship in Pikmin 3. Clearly that means the new hardware will launch with Pikmin 4 as its marquee title.

You're being alot nicer than I'd be
It's better to be nice than acknowledge them with negativity. Smiling in their face will anger them more than telling them off.

As recent as a few weeks ago, following the Direct, I still had people harassing me over this stuff. All because I said in the podcast discussing the Direct that the MK8 DLC showed me that a revision/new Switch would happen well before 2024, which was a narrative some were pushing.

I feel like I'm the only one that does not care - at all - about a Switch Pro or Switch 2 or whatever it ends up being right now.

The Switch is going strong. The games look good enough for me. I just have no interest in dropping $400 or more on an upgrade in the near future. Maybe in a year or two I'll start to feel differently.

I'm torn between trying to buy this thing or not, but scalpers will probably make that decision for me

I feel like I'm the only one that does not care - at all - about a Switch Pro or Switch 2 or whatever it ends up being right now.

The Switch is going strong. The games look good enough for me. I just have no interest in dropping $400 or more on an upgrade in the near future. Maybe in a year or two I'll start to feel differently.
I'm pretty ambivalent as well, especially since I'm getting a Steam Deck to cover a lot of third party games that may be possible Pro ports

Unless there are major third or first party exclusives I don't think I'll be grabbing one at launch

I'll get excited about a new Switch when there's actually something meaningful to get excited about. Like out of these years and months of rumors and talking about DLSS, the only conclusion is that new Switch will be more powerful, which was obvious. You don't need a rumor to tell you that. During the lead up to the PS4 and Xbox Series reveal, people argued online about Gigaflips and Terashits because they had nothing better to do. But new systems don't really become tangible to me until the system is actually shown off, preferably with looks at upcoming games. So at present, there isn't really anything meaningful to excited about or to discuss for the upcoming Switch.

Getting your hopes up and having a random discussion about it on a gaming forum are two different things

I get the distinction but whenever people get the scent of new hardware in the air, the internet being what it is, expectations spiral and everything Nintendo related, every new Direct for example, gets a layer scrutiny to it that colors every discussion. The announcement and reaction to Switch Oled is a perfect example of the fallout from these mounting expectations.

The OLED announcement invoked a perceptible change in a large chunk of the membership at Resetera for Nintendo and the switch towards the negative . This wave of negativity is in large part what caused Famiboards to be created.

And I understand that this is mainly an enthusiast message board problem and not really a mainstream public problem, but since I spend a lot of time viewing enthusiast discussion it's difficult not to observe all this and not suggest caution.

I went the other way and I'm now at the Consumed King's Garden so I guess I'm going for some optional content...
I honestly forgot about that, yeah it's optional but not super long from what I remember. The REAL optional area in the game (the main beefy one) is well worth doing though. I won't spoil it if you haven't seen anything about it, though.

I honestly forgot about that, yeah it's optional but not super long from what I remember. The REAL optional area in the game (the main beefy one) is well worth doing though. I won't spoil it if you haven't seen anything about it, though.
Ugh currently having flashbacks...

I look at a guide from time to time so I think I know what you're referring to...

It's better to be nice than acknowledge them with negativity. Smiling in their face will anger them more than telling them off.

As recent as a few weeks ago, following the Direct, I still had people harassing me over this stuff. All because I said in the podcast discussing the Direct that the MK8 DLC showed me that a revision/new Switch would happen well before 2024, which was a narrative some were pushing.
Apologies if you want to save this for your podcast, but do you think its more likely, in your opinion, this new Switch drops this year or 2023?

The Switch 2 is gonna be 600 Canadian Dollars and I'm gonna love forking over every god damn loonie for TWO of them
Price of this new thing scares me ngl. Regular Switch was 500 USD when it launched here in Mexico so... Yeah. Even now it is hard to find one near the 300 USD pricetag even used ones.

I prefer to still believe the Switch Pro/2/whatever isn't coming soon to not get my hopes up. If it does come soon then it's just a win for me.

I really don't believe in new hardware coming this year, but damn if it wouldn't be cool af to play Pokemon S/V and BotW2 in 4k

I much prefer to think the new hardware isn't a factor; Unlike, say, at the Wii U days we barely had actual games to discuss (so the NX took over the conversation), there's so much on the horizon to look forward on the Switch that I don't even feel the need anything else.

But hey, enjoy the speculation; I'll just abstain myself of the subject; When the announcement become official, then it's official.

Honestly the only reason I even remotely care about Dane/Drake is because I adore Xenoblade's locales and landscapes and especially during the weather (rain on Gaur Plain, the fuggin crystal rain in Uraya while the bioluminescent trees glow) the resolution really chugs. I normally don't care at all about how many dots are on my screen (I proudly own and play the 720p WiiU version of BotW and it's gorgeous to me), but Xenoblade 1&2 both take a bigger hit than other Nintendo-developed games and their landscapes just deserve better. I'm hoping they get patched for the new hardware, and I hope XB3 is prepped for it out of the box.

And aside from that, the timing with BotW2 makes me suspicious that there could be a gold-trimmed Zelda edition of the new Switch, which I would NEED on my shelf. I normally don't care about limited edition consoles but Zelda gold has been a thing to me since the first gold cartridge in the 80s. ❤️

Seriously, if there's no Zelda edition Dane/Drake (can we confidently just refer to it as Drake now?) I won't be pre-ordering, won't be scrambling. I'll be enjoying a vast library of indie and middlemarket games on my Erista Switch until there's a price drop in the used market or something.

So I'm hyped, but mostly because I think the tech is cool and I enjoy peeking behind the curtain. To those of yall who feel kinda done with Pro/2 talk, I feel ya. I generally hate the resolution/framerate culture. I hope it helps a little to know at least some one of us is mostly just giddy about whether or not it'll have a gold Hylian crest. 😅

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom