• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST4 Jan. 2022| Resurrections

The next Switch model will be called...

• Nintendo Switch 2

Votes: 40 23.5%
  • Nintendo Switch Pro

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Nintendo Switch 4k

Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Nintendo Switch U

• Nintendo Switch +

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Nintendo Switch Max

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Nintendo Switch Up

• New Nintendo Switch

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Nintendo Switch Advance

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Super Nintendo Switch

Votes: 53 31.2%
  • Nintendo Switch Super

• Nintendo Switchxty Four

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Nintendo Switchcube

• Nintendo Swiitch

• Nintendo Change

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nintendo Modify

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nintendo Adjust

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Nintendo Wii U 2

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • Other (Please specify)

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Switch Plus

Votes: 5 2.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What news to wake up too.....

This consolidation issue the industry has really needs to be nipped in the bud.

Takes I have read this morning on the internet:

• Sony should go third party
  • There will be a lot of used PS5's for sale over the next few days....
  • Sony may have to be absorbed by Apple to stay competitive, unfortunately.
  • PS5 will likely be the last console hardware from Sony
  • PlayStation is finished

And a lot of variations of the same.

I had my share of arguing with console warriors on Twitter this morning. Enough. I want my Fami

I think they can do that and buy a company like Sega. Nintendo has a market cap of over 54B while Sega is sitting at around 3B. It's very feasible.

But yes the Microsoft thing is incredibly worrying. It's not good for the industry at all because Sony will absolutely seek to respond. I do think Microsoft is more likely to share their newly acquired IPs with competitors but that doesn't mean I want them gobbling up big 3rd party devs lol.

I don't know if it's just a numbers thing, though. A 3 billion dollar investment is incredible for a company like Nintendo.

lol, now some people talking about nintendo needing to partner with apple or merge with sony in order to shield itself from acquisition.

this acquisition has pretty much no implications for nintendo imo.

People are worried that Nintendo could be bought up.

I don't think these people understand how deals and mergers work. Nintendo would never accept it.

I don't think these people understand how deals and mergers work. Nintendo would never accept it.
yep. people are thinking these deals are hostile takeovers, lol.

man that is some magical thinking right there

surely being bought by a bigger company will purge it of evils?

I know that the roadmap is shadow-ditch Kotick without having to acknowledge it, but there’s no way in hell that cuts out all the things wrong at every level

plus what the fuck do we know about Microsoft? who knows what shit whoever’s been pulling there?

CEO changes and buyouts as panacea to inner culture and clusters of shitbags is the optics engineering of the Reagan Cascade

my experience has been that any company big enough for an HR department knows that HR is shadow PR

it’s more often about getting people to be quiet about doing awful things and be even more quiet about calling them out

I know I’m just ranting at this point but I’m super wary of this line of thinking
Also, Microsoft may seem better than Acti/Bliz over the surface (and even under they're probably better) but they still have their own problems:
Sorry for posting a link to the old place.

lol, now some people talking about nintendo needing to partner with apple or merge with sony in order to shield itself from acquisition.

this acquisition has pretty much no implications for nintendo imo.
This one, no. However if Microsoft or Sony start making moves on Japanese developers then Nintendo will be on alert.

The whole "Sony will respond" argument is interesting because, well, no other games company can respond with anything near the financial firepower Microsoft have. That should have been obvious when Microsoft bought Zenimax Media; the only companies that can compete in this bidding war are giants like Apple, Google, and Amazon, who aren't yet established in console gaming.

The best thing for both Sony and Nintendo to do is to continue doing what both are already doing and invest in their own studios and teams. Sony have been buying existing partners, and Nintendo are acquiring more space for, and investing in, their most important developer, EPD. The reason Microsoft have gone down their current road was partially down to a failure to compete in securing or creating compelling content which, in recent years, is not a problem either Nintendo or Sony have (which is not to say that all is sunny, or that either could afford to stand still).

I suspect we'll see Sony attempt more paid exclusivity deals, but even then, that's a knife in a gun fight. Microsoft are using financial muscle to brute force the industry into their preferred subscription model and acquisitions of this size are just alarming to me.

Yep.

Even though Microsoft spent more on Activision-Blizzard then what Nintendo is worth (68.7 billion vs 61 billion respectively), there's already anti-trust questions being raised, and that happened with ZeniMax/Bethesda in 2020 too. Today I also learned the US government had this issue with Microsoft become a monopoly back in 2001 already.

But I am 1000% certain, if there's one time the anti trust card will most definitely be played, it's when Microsoft would attempt to acquire on of the other two console manufacturers, Nintendo or Sony.

Lots of talk about how this will effect Sony - But how do we feel about Nintendo?

Over the last year and a half or whatever - 2 of the biggest western AAA contributors on Switch has been Bethesda and Activision-Blizzard and now they're both owned by MS. Now clearly, Nintendo isnt losing nearly as much as Sony on these deals but it's still significant partners no longer at their service. That's two valuable partners.

Are they going to keep pushing for high profile indies, make more colabs with Ubisoft and continue or increase partner games with Square and other japanese companies?

While I dont think Nintendo needs to buy - the industry is definitely heading in a way where you need to act. And maybe I'm taking this outta my behind but I do think we're going to see Nintendo being more agressive for partners going forward. Indies are great and all, but content from AAA publishers is very important.

Lots of talk about how this will effect Sony - But how do we feel about Nintendo?

Over the last year and a half or whatever - 2 of the biggest western AAA contributors on Switch has been Bethesda and Activision-Blizzard and now they're both owned by MS. Now clearly, Nintendo isnt losing nearly as much as Sony on these deals but it's still significant partners no longer at their service. That's two valuable partners.

Are they going to keep pushing for high profile indies, make more colabs with Ubisoft and continue or increase partner games with Square and other japanese companies?

While I dont think Nintendo needs to buy - the industry is definitely heading in a way where you need to act. And maybe I'm taking this outta my behind but I do think we're going to see Nintendo being more agressive for partners going forward. Indies are great and all, but content from AAA publishers is very important.
Nintendo doesn't have to care because Nintendo games sell Nintendo consoles

People seem to forget that MS once tried to buy Nintendo and Nintendo just laughed them off. It didn't happen then, it won't happen now with the Switch

This won't affect Nintendo all too much. Most of Activision's games never appeared on Switch, or they were late ports, so I don't think they'd worry.

I think any response from Nintendo is going to perhaps ramp up moves they're already making: multimedia and merchandise partners to extend their reach outside gaming to drive people to their gaming business, investment in internal development to keep the software pipeline flowing. Presumably they would also keep an eye on key development partners, especially in Japan, where Nintendo either already have shares (Bamco) or on studios who work exclusively with Nintendo (Good-Feel, Grezzo, and so on). The latter are probably outside of Microsoft's notice given their size but that doesn't necessarily mean they won't be targeted by other groups eager to gobble up limited resources. Nintendo can protect the bigger Japanese publishers by increasing their stake in those companies, without moving aggressively towards mergers or acquisitions.

The key point for Nintendo is to secure enough software to continue to drive people towards their platform. The primary drivers continue to be Nintendo IP, often from EPD, or from wholly owned subsidiaries or independent developers who co-own IP with Nintendo. In those cases Nintendo can't do much more than keep investing their profits, protecting and growing that pipeline which is their most important asset. Outside of that, they can attempt to offer a solid platform for other developers, with good development tools and crucially for indies, good promotion.

But then you can't hire 10,000 people and suddenly boost EPD's output the way Microsoft can splash tens of billions, acquire a bunch of franchises, studios, and thousands of employees. Whatever Nintendo do will seem limited in response, and the unpredictable factor is how changes in purchasing habits eventually change Nintendo's own market. Microsoft want to turn subscription gaming into the norm because they were outcompeted by PlayStation and Nintendo under the software purchasing model. With moves of this size, Microsoft's actions will force responses from other companies and may yet eventually force Nintendo to adapt. But, personally, I figured a bigger subscription focus from Nintendo was only a matter of time. Certainly not a Game Pass approach whereby new Zelda is day 1 for subscribers, but a much more comprehensive legacy offering which may grow to offer third-party games or indies.

The immediate news doesn't affect Nintendo since Activision doesn't seem to want to put Call of Duty on the Switch and they pretty much threw their other IPs in a box in the attic to become full time COD. Some recent Blizzard games are on the Switch, but I don't think their loss will be that great in the grand scheme of things.

Long term though, Nintendo needs to be mindful. Sooner or later Microsoft will turn towards Japan for acquisitions and Sony will ultimately have to respond there. I know there is talk about the JP government getting involved and I won't pretend to be an expert in that. What I do know is that money talks and if arms race goes East, all bets are off. I know Nintendo has shares in some of these companies and there is plenty of legal headaches that would be involved, but it is not an impossible scenario by any means.

Nintendo has a lot of interest in Japanese 3rd parties, from companies developing first part IP games or assisting like Bandi and Koei, to having 3rd party exclusives like Monster Hunter, Octopath Traveler (at launch) and Astrial Chain. If either company started scooping up the likes of Bandai Namco, Koei Tecmo, Sega, Capcom, Square, ect, Nintendo would see a good chunk of development power cut off from them.

I don't know what the best path for Nintendo would be, but if hints of this armageddon scenario starts to merge, Nintendo will have to get creative somehow.

In the ballparks of 50% of all software sales are from third parties, ofc they have to care about third party relations. Theyre a huge part of Nintendos total revenue. MS and Sony wont suddenly stop buying companies. They need a plan that doesnt rely all on their own output.

The immediate news doesn't affect Nintendo since Activision doesn't seem to want to put Call of Duty on the Switch and they pretty much threw their other IPs in a box in the attic to become full time COD. Some recent Blizzard games are on the Switch, but I don't think their loss will be that great in the grand scheme of things.

Long term though, Nintendo needs to be mindful. Sooner or later Microsoft will turn towards Japan for acquisitions and Sony will ultimately have to respond there. I know there is talk about the JP government getting involved and I won't pretend to be an expert in that. What I do know is that money talks and if arms race goes East, all bets are off. I know Nintendo has shares in some of these companies and there is plenty of legal headaches that would be involved, but it is not an impossible scenario by any means.

Nintendo has a lot of interest in Japanese 3rd parties, from companies developing first part IP games or assisting like Bandi and Koei, to having 3rd party exclusives like Monster Hunter, Octopath Traveler (at launch) and Astrial Chain. If either company started scooping up the likes of Bandai Namco, Koei Tecmo, Sega, Capcom, Square, ect, Nintendo would see a good chunk of development power cut off from them.

I don't know what the best path for Nintendo would be, but if hints of this armageddon scenario starts to merge, Nintendo will have to get creative somehow.

The JP Government scrutinises mergers and acquisitions like any other but foreign entities buying Japanese companies definitely isn't impossible.

Apparently though they encourage businesses to merge rather than be acquired(which we already saw with most JP publishers) so we might see some of the big publishers consolidate that way in Japan first.

Yeah, Nintendo gamers care first and foremost about Nintendo games. HOWEVER. A strong third party line-up is key, and Nintendo themselves made a huge deal about the switch having third party games (even bringing EA to the switch presentation to talk about, em, bringing a watered down FIFA to Switch).

This is bad news for Nintendo, even if it's worse for Sony.

The JP Government scrutinises mergers and acquisitions like any other but foreign entities buying Japanese companies definitely isn't impossible.

Apparently though they encourage businesses to merge rather than be acquired(which we already saw with most JP publishers) so we might see some of the big publishers consolidate that way in Japan first.
I'm sure it is still a pipe-dream, but the idea of a Nintendo-Sony alliance that allows them to protect their JP development interests while remaining separate companies might not be the craziest idea out there.

All of these Microsoft acquisitions are about beefing up a subscription service (GamePass).
I'm sure Sony will acquire some studios to beef up content on their upcoming service, too.

So the big question is: Should Nintendo get involved in these subscription wars? NSO has attracted 32 million subscribers so far.

Mario on Playstation? here we go

mrbones.jpg

All of these Microsoft acquisitions are about beefing up a subscription service (GamePass).
I'm sure Sony will acquire some studios to beef up content on their upcoming subscription service.

So question is: Should Nintendo get involved in these subscription wars? NSO has attracted 32 million subscribers so far.

Neither Sony or Nintendo have $70B in cash to spend even if they wanted to.

I don't see anything being bigger than the largest takeover in gaming history. Unless it's Sony buying Take 2 or some weird stuff.

I'm sure Sony will acquire some studios to beef up content on their upcoming service, too.

So the big question is: Should Nintendo get involved in these subscription wars? NSO has attracted 32 million subscribers so far.

Nintendo doesn't have to purchase third parties to beef NSO, though. They have the largest back catalogue of the 3 current platform holders. They could just beef up NSO by adding game boy and game boy advance games, and eventually including Wii and GameCube games. They could compete with gamepass in a Nintendo way just by doing that.

Of course, partnering with 3rd parties could beef NSO (we could get 2 o 3 tetris 99 style games a year, for example, or access to indie games, or whatever)

Neither Sony or Nintendo have $70B in cash to spend even if they wanted to.

No, not $70 billion. But Sony can throw a few billion on some small studios.

Sony did acquire Crunchyroll for $1.2 billion last year. It's not like Sony doesn't throw money around.

Highly skeptical, I don't think any news in the past 10 years could top this.
I'm sure Sony will acquire some studios to beef up content on their upcoming subscription service.

They seem quite content on having solely a retro subscription service. I feel like that could be bolstered by acquiring rights to third party games and platforms but I don't see them outright buying publishers to help add value to their service.

Like every other cloud game on Switch so far, no release on the Australian eShop. Downloding it from one of the other eShops produces the results you'd expect:

IMG_7248.jpg

Cloud games will never, ever, be a suitable replace for a native release.

I'll be happy to never get 201 golden bananas in DK64 again.
Playing the Cloud version would give me anxiety.

Example:

No, not $70 billion. But Sony can throw a few billion on some small studios.

Sony did acquire Crunchyroll for $1.2 billion last year. It's not like Sony doesn't throw money around.

Sure, but smallfry in comparison. When it comes to Nintendo that figure MS is paying is more than Nintendo is worth...

What could possibly be bigger? No more acquisitions please.
Not sure if anything could be bigger than this, but the following could be of a similar magnitude without requiring acquisitions:

• One of the big three fully goes third party
  • One of the big three announces a brand new console/handheld
That's about all I can think of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom