• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST3 Dec. 2021| Topical Threes

When Should Raccoon’s New Nintendo Direct Speculation Thread Launch?

• Monday, Dec. 27 • 12pm EST

Votes: 43 20.0%
  • Saturday, Jan. 1 • 12am EST

Votes: 172 80.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't imagine that the NSO data encouraged a specific game series return. Rather, I think that the amount of people using the online multiplayer together could have inspired an online NES Remix successor project.

I mean, Tetris 99 is an NSO game that is very popular that Nintendo very clearly greenlit other games because of.
They're not allowed to release a sequel to Tetris 99 until I finally get a fucking Tetris Maximus.

Level 47, playing since launch, best I've ever achieved is 3rd place and it is infuriating. I feel like a failure.

They're not allowed to release a sequel to Tetris 99 until I finally get a fucking Tetris Maximus.

Level 47, playing since launch, best I've ever achieved is 3rd place and it is infuriating. I feel like a failure.
It took me a long time actually. So I get it. But then one day it just happened and it was quite the moment.

You can do it!

Surely all this NSO data means we’re getting a new Metroid and Zelda, right? I know those series had unclear futures for a while, but I feel confident with this prediction.

The reception to Jelly Boy on NSO was so overwhelming that Nintendo is forming The Jelly Boy Company to oversee the development of new games, cards, toys, and merchandise for the Jelly Boy Multi-media franchise.

I don't imagine that the NSO data encouraged a specific game series return. Rather, I think that the amount of people using the online multiplayer together could have inspired an online NES Remix successor project.
Nah they saw the numbers:

"20 million people have played a game called Startropics?? Why have I never heard of this game? Make Startropics 2 right away!

Wait, you're telling me Startropics 2 is also a thing? What the hell is a Startropics anyway?? Make 3 then!"

It took me a long time actually. So I get it. But then one day it just happened and it was quite the moment.

You can do it!
My girlfriend jokingly teases me about it but I swear I want her to see me pull it off when I can finally prove myself as a Tetris god amongst a very small subset of the concurrent players in that particular round

My shot in the dark on a game greenlit due to NSO would be the rumored Donkey Kong game. I imagine DKC was popular on NSO, and the theoretical development timeline would've began not too long after they started popping up on the service.

The one problem with this theory is that they should already know Donkey Kong is popular.
My heart will sink if the rumors were false, and we have to wait til Retro finishes up Metroid Prime 4. Even then, there is no guarantee they would start on another DKC.

I refuse to believe Nintendo has been sitting and twiddling their thumbs with DK when there's a theme park happening though. Nintendo has got to have something cooked up. Hopefully soon.

If Nintendo would hurry and add Gamecube to NSO and launch it with Eternal Darkness, I would play that enough myself for them to greenlight another game.

Edit: I can't spell

tbh i feel like an online NES Remix would be an NSO perk

Just got done watching Nintendo's E3 conference from 2010 because I was bored and wanted to make sure that at least one of the "live" gaming shows I watch this week will have been memorable.

Must say, what an iconic time and moment for Nintendo eleven years ago. Though fair warning to those who cut their teeth on Nintendo Directs, and are used to the pacing of those showcases, it might be a tough watch. Every segment back then required a detailed explanation as to why what you just saw/or are about to see is so like seriously very important lol. But the things that transpired that day, mercy:

• The infamous opening with an increasingly awkward demo of Skyward Sword's Wii Motion plus controls by a visibly flustered Miyamoto
  • Reggie shrugging off Wii decline allegations "We sell more Wiis and more software than the other two home consoles combined" now here's Mario Sports Mix, Wii Party and Just Dance 2
  • NBA Jam, GoldenEye, Donkey Kong, and Kid Icarus series all getting brand new games announced (people were cheering for these reveals)
  • Epic Mickey and Kirby's Epic Yarn(That word back then I swear lol) looked so fresh and different, I remember being so hyped for both.
  • Golden Sun Dark Dawn and Metroid Other M getting gameplay footage and people still having faith in either
  • GLASSES FREE 3D
  • +Cats happened here btw
  • Iwata being unable to name all the partners for 3DS, cuz there's just too many, but then immediately listing off Madden, Saints Row, Kingdom Hearts, Resident Evil, Ridge Racer, Assassins Creed, and Metal Gear Solid are all coming to 3DS. Clearly he had an agenda lol
  • 3ds-lol.gif
  • The awkward ending with a hundred identically dressed women visibly tethered to 3DSes suddenly emerging from the stage and making their way into the crowd.
Just wild times all around. It was fun to revisit.

If only…

Just got done watching Nintendo's E3 conference from 2010 because I was bored and wanted to make sure that at least one of the "live" gaming shows I watch this week will have been memorable.

Must say, what an iconic time and moment for Nintendo eleven years ago. Though fair warning to those who cut their teeth on Nintendo Directs, and are used to the pacing of those showcases, it might be a tough watch. Every segment back then required a detailed explanation as to why what you just saw/or are about to see is so like seriously very important lol. But the things that transpired that day, mercy:

• The infamous opening with an increasingly awkward demo of Skyward Sword's Wii Motion plus controls by a visibly flustered Miyamoto
  • Reggie shrugging off Wii decline allegations "We sell more Wiis and more software than the other two home consoles combined" now here's Mario Sports Mix, Wii Party and Just Dance 2
  • NBA Jam, GoldenEye, Donkey Kong, and Kid Icarus series all getting brand new games announced (people were cheering for these reveals)
  • Epic Mickey and Kirby's Epic Yarn(That word back then I swear lol) looked so fresh and different, I remember being so hyped for both.
  • Golden Sun Dark Dawn and Metroid Other M getting gameplay footage and people still having faith in either
  • GLASSES FREE 3D
  • +Cats happened here btw
  • Iwata being unable to name all the partners for 3DS, cuz there's just too many, but then immediately listing off Madden, Saints Row, Kingdom Hearts, Resident Evil, Ridge Racer, Assassins Creed, and Metal Gear Solid are all coming to 3DS. Clearly he had an agenda lol
  • 3ds-lol.gif
  • The awkward ending with a hundred identically dressed women visibly tethered to 3DSes suddenly emerging from the stage and making their way into the crowd.
Just wild times all around. It was fun to revisit.
2010 is still Nintendo's best E3 imo.

2010 was pretty much Nintendo's last great live E3 conference. 2011 and especially 2012 really pailed in comparison.

I went to E3 the year the 3DS was shown and I remember being blown away by the 3D effect. Once I got a hold of it on release day though that featured stayed off permanently.

Much like VR, I just can't stand that stuff for more than 15 minutes.

2010 is still Nintendo's best E3 imo.
As far as live shows go, I think I agree. They were really trying to do all sorts of stuff that year. Reviving old franchises, getting more partner companies on board, still trying to push blue ocean initiatives.

I remember really liking the Nintendo Switch Presentation January 2017 showcase too tho. Similar kinda vibes imo.

Which I guess I'll watch next.:ROFLMAO: See if i still feel that way or not.

Also playing since launch and level over 99 with more then 10 wins. The first time feels unreal. The next times you’re just amazed how easy it feels (you don’t think just build in the last minute).
Problem the is the maximum league with all the nuts player.
Also it got trickier these days compared to the early days.

Nintendo has already made some big business decisions based on NSO data. (Games that they've greenlit)

Between SNES Classic and NSO, SOMEBODY needs to give me that StarFox 2 sequel I've been hankering for!

A more ambitious, premium subscription service (like GamePass) would help bring attention to games that didn't do well in retail stores.

It’s not for everyone. I’m spending 50$ each month, and a lot of that goes to first party Nintendo games. I could get far more games on game pass or steam.

However, when I buy a game full price I play it. When I have access to quickly to too many games I just “store” them and jump between them. As soon as the game slows down the next one awaits. Mario 64 is still magic since I only had 3 games back then and discovered them in all details. I wouldn’t have played through Yoshi’s Crafted World nor BotW if more games would have been available back then.

so whats everyone playing over holiday break?
Super Mario Sunshine. It's the only mainline Mario game I haven't replayed yet. It's also the first video game I ever purchased with my own money (along with the system), so it holds a special place in my heart.

so whats everyone playing over holiday break?
I think I'll probably still be on SMT V for at least part of it, after that I'm not entirely sure yet. Might finally play Torna, though maybe that's JRPG overload (especially considering I played BD2 before SMT V). Other options are the first Borderlands or Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin

This is definitely true.

Also, subscription services have exploded because corporations want to collect your data. Purchasing an individual physical product doesn't help corporations collect much data on you. Companies want to see how you spend your day (what games you play, what films you watch, how much time you spend on an activity). All of this data-collecting helps businesses make smarter decisions on future products and services.

Nintendo has already made some big business decisions based on NSO data. (Games that they've greenlit)
Hopefully i've played enough Panel de Pon on the SNES app to convince them that a new game is a great idea!

(Can they hurry up and put Sutte Hakkun on NSO so I can sink some hours into that too?)

I think I'll probably still be on SMT V for at least part of it, after that I'm not entirely sure yet. Might finally play Torna, though maybe that's JRPG overload (especially considering I played BD2 before SMT V). Other options are the first Borderlands or Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin

yah, i think same here. i plugged about 10-12 hours into it right away and was loving every moment, but the last few weeks since i've had a weekend with friends and several family obligations keeping me away. and i really want to finish it before making a personal "best of" 2021 list.

Paper Mario 64 and GoldenEye

nice, i actually never played paper mario 64 even back in the day when i had just an n64 so im looking forward to the nso addition.

Super Mario Sunshine. It's the only mainline Mario game I haven't replayed yet. It's also the first video game I ever purchased with my own money (along with the system), so it holds a special place in my heart.

sweet, so you literally have done what? smb1, smb2usa, lost levels, smb3, smw, sm64, galaxy 1, galaxy 2, sm3dw, odyssey? all on a replay? handheld ones too? nsmbs too? sounds like a lot of fun either way.

Oh yeah, I wonder if we'll see Neon White shadowdrop during the event. Would be some pretty cool marketing.
I was thinking at Indie World, they have been shadow dropping quite a lot games at Indie Worlds recently. They could have segment called "Annapurna news" and say "Available Today" for all Q4 Annapurna games: Outer Wilds, Neon White and Hindsight.

Thanks for the correction, I forgot that Celine's numbers didn't include Japanese sales. Are you aware of other discrepancies like this?
I'm guessing it will mainly just be Pokemon games since those are not published by Nintendo in Japan and therefore they do not report the Japanese sales in their quarterly results.

So I was checking out the Chrono Cross thread and I see that Alan Wake 2 might be announced at TGA! Now we're talking!! Hopefully they can get some music from Poets of the Fall again. Are there any rumors to when it could release?

Thanks for the correction, I forgot that Celine's numbers didn't include Japanese sales. Are you aware of other discrepancies like this?

I'm guessing it will mainly just be Pokemon games since those are not published by Nintendo in Japan and therefore they do not report the Japanese sales in their quarterly results.
Yeah, from what I see this is true for Pokémon games made by BN (like Pokken or NPS) and also Hyrule Warriors (which is published by KT in Japan).

Basically every game with "(outside of Japan)" in the chart :
https://www.installbaseforum.com/fo...hardware-sales-data-from-1983-to-present.170/

sweet, so you literally have done what? smb1, smb2usa, lost levels, smb3, smw, sm64, galaxy 1, galaxy 2, sm3dw, odyssey? all on a replay? handheld ones too? nsmbs too? sounds like a lot of fun either way.
Yes. For the NES ones I even played and replayed the All Stars and GBA versions. Edit: actually I haven't replayed Odyssey yet :p gonna wait a few more years for that

The best Nintendo conference at E3 for me is either 2004's (DS and Twilight Princess reveal) or 2006's (Twilight Princess, Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3 and Brawl... which iirc wasn't exactly revealed at the same conference, but it was still part of E3).

Took a nice outing into town snd gotten a copy of the Xbox version of morrowind and death stranding directors along with a Funko pop of black suit Superman from the Snyder cut

Bojangles screwed up our order though, annoyed at that

The best Nintendo conference at E3 for me is either 2004's (DS and Twilight Princess reveal) or 2006's (Twilight Princess, Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3 and Brawl... which iirc wasn't exactly revealed at the same conference, but it was still part of E3).
2006 also had an onslaught of DS announcements: Yoshi's Island 2, Diddy Kong Racing DS, Elite Beat Agents, Kirby Squeak Squad, Starfox Command, Hotel Dusk, Clubhouse Games, Magical Starsign, DS Air, DK King of Swing... As a massive DS fan back then I was blown away by all of these.

NSO is separate from the Switch's telemetry features (unless it was specifically telemetry about an NSO-exclusive application, like the retro game apps), which are on as long as you have an Internet connection, with or without NSO. So I don't really see the connection.

I don't even know where to begin.

Nintendo looks at your NSO data and asks questions like:
  • Do NSO members spend more time/money playing multiplayer or single player games?
    • Based on this data, should we greenlight more multiplayer or single player games?
  • What games increased subscriptions for NSO? Which games did not and why?
    • "Why did we see an uptick in new NSO subscribers from Monster Hunter?"
  • What % of NSO members downloaded the NES/SNES/N64/Genesis apps. (30%? 45%? 55%?)
    • What is the average time that NSO members spent in these retro gaming apps?
    • Which retro games are they playing in these apps?
  • What % of NSO members downloaded "Happy Home Paradise?"
    • What impact does DLC have on subscription numbers?
    • Should we continue adding DLC to the Expansion Pack for future games? (Splatoon 3?)
Nintendo has had games that were commercially successful, but they didn't move the needle on subscriptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom