• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST3 Dec. 2021| Topical Threes

When Should Raccoon’s New Nintendo Direct Speculation Thread Launch?

• Monday, Dec. 27 • 12pm EST

Votes: 43 20.0%
  • Saturday, Jan. 1 • 12am EST

Votes: 172 80.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
they should stop messing about and get PC Engine/Turbografx games for NSO

also they should put CD-based games on there, like for Sega CD and (if they put PC-E on there) PC Engine CD. Maybe those games would be individual downloads to account for the giant filesize
No reason those shouldn’t have been on with the expansion considering Konami was releasing them on WiiU into 2018 (!) and they recently had M2 emulate a lot of games for the mini. I suppose adding online play would need to be worked on, but give me online Bomberman 94!

I suspect that, for the medium term, the sums of money Nintendo make from their purchase-focused model (rather than a primarily rental based model) would be far higher than the revenues they could get through a subscription.

The obvious point is: does a rental model capture a wider audience in order to make up for the loss of money from higher spending customers in the current model?
With Nintendo's software holding its premium $60 value for years and years, I'd argue a Nintendo Game Pass-like service wouldn't even bring in enough revenue to make up the loss of money from casual Switch users who only buy 2-3 games per year. That type of service from Nintendo is many years off. It's completely incompatible with Nintendo's current business reality.

It is canon.
fire-eyes.gif

Underperformers still happen on streaming services too, you simply exchange sales targets to user acquisition and engagement targets.

We're still in the growth phase of games subscription, the equivalent of when everyone begged Netflix to pick up every cancelled network tv show, but Netflix is now just as ruthless(if not more so) about cancelling shows.

No reason those shouldn’t have been on with the expansion considering Konami was releasing them on WiiU into 2018 (!) and they recently had M2 emulate a lot of games for the mini. I suppose adding online play would need to be worked on, but give me online Bomberman 94!
I feel like PC Engine probably isn't AS in demand as Genesis would have been, so maybe business wise it made sense to focus on Genesis first. That said: I feel like Konami would, more than Sega, be more than happy to get those games on there. I'd imagine PC-E comes to the Expansion Pack next fall.

Throwing this crazy theory out there that Nintendo should market forgotten IPs with their presence in Smash Bros. Just make a new F-Zero, slap "feat. Captain Falcon from the Super Smash Bros. series" on the cover and watch it sell eleventeen gazillion copies.

This may or may not be yet another ploy of mine to conceal my bi-quarterly begging for a new F-Zero.

If you like shitty N64 models I guess. The Stadium models were outdated when Colosseum came out in 2003, let alone 2007.
everyone keeps bringing up the pokemon models, ignoring the camera, composition, visual effects, and environment design. shit's way ahead of the current games right now, and only as of Sword and Shield, they're starting to scratch what the Genius Sonority games have done

I'm all in favor for subscription services... especially because it helps developing countries. I'll pay 200$/Year for NintendoFlix with first party games day on date (hell it could be one month later I wouldn't mind)
I'm really, really happy that someone said this.

It's true. A subscription service gives low income families and developing countries an opportunity to experience Nintendo's software.

This is anecdotal, but I've met people who are hesitant to buy Nintendo hardware because first-party games rarely go on sale. Whereas PlayStation and Xbox games regularly go on sale 3-4 months after they release.

One thing to consider:

Nintendo is not immune to commercial flops in the retail business. Many Nintendo-published games have bombed. It's easy to forget this because Switch has become so successful. We've deluded ourselves into believing that Nintendo makes money on everything they release.

To name a few Nintendo bombs: Ever Oasis, Codename S.T.E.A.M, The Wonderful 101, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, Star Fox Zero, Excitebots, Sushi Striker, Eternal Darkness, Steel Diver, Wii Music, Sing Party, Chibi Robo Zip Lash, Amiibo Festival, Odama, Giftpia, Geist, Doshin the Giant, Nintendogs + Cats, Disaster Day of Crisis, Devil's Third.

A more ambitious, premium subscription service (like GamePass) would help bring attention to games that didn't do well in retail stores.
Sure, agreed. I think more flexible options for purchasing or renting games should be something Nintendo pursue. I just think they'll move slowly and protect that full price, individual purchase standard as long and as hard as they can. They won't want to make sweeping changes to their business if they think it will undermine their software pricing and value proposition.

I'm gonna go to Toys R Us and drop like $60 on dinosaur toys later this week, simply because they're from a tv show I've worked on

anyway nso + ep is a bargain imo

everyone keeps bringing up the pokemon models, ignoring the camera, composition, visual effects, and environment design. shit's way ahead of the current games right now, and only as of Sword and Shield, they're starting to scratch what the Genius Sonority games have done
Because they’re so violently outdated that they outweigh any of those things. Who cares how good the camera work is when it’s all in service of highlighting a Machamp with 3 whole polygons, or the ugliest Eevee I’ve ever seen?

One thing to consider:

Nintendo is not immune to commercial flops in the retail business. Many Nintendo-published games have bombed. It's easy to forget this because Switch has become so successful. We've deluded ourselves into believing that Nintendo makes money on everything they release.

To name a few Nintendo bombs: Ever Oasis, Codename S.T.E.A.M, The Wonderful 101, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, Star Fox Zero, Excitebots, Sushi Striker, Eternal Darkness, Steel Diver, Wii Music, Sing Party, Chibi Robo Zip Lash, Amiibo Festival, Odama, Giftpia, Geist, Doshin the Giant, Nintendogs + Cats, Disaster Day of Crisis, Devil's Third.

A more ambitious, premium subscription service (like GamePass) would help bring attention to games that didn't do well in retail stores.
This is true, and it’s important to notice that all of those bombs are from smaller franchises or new IP’s. Except for Amiibo Festival but that was a panned spin-off unrelated to the main series in gameplay.

Nintendo does have a handful of franchises that are basically flop-proof. Mario mainline, Mario Kart, Zelda, AC, Smash, Splatoon, etc. It makes sense to leave those games at $60 retail, while putting the games you listed on a subscription service.

After NSO, I'm not sure if Nintendo's audience could ever go back to paying $5 for each NES game individually.
I mean
Were they ever really doing this to begin with?
I'll be honest with you.

I would absolutely pay $15 a month ($180/year) for a Nintendo GamePass service that offered access to:
  • First party retail titles like... Mario Kart 8, Splatoon 3, Breath of the Wild, Fire Emblem, Smash Bros, Clubhouse Games, ARMS, etc, etc.
  • Select third party retail titles like...Dragon Quest 11, Bioshock, Skyrim, Doom Eternal, Crash Team Racing, Super Monkey Ball
  • Retro games (NES, SNES, N64, GB, GBA, Genesis)
  • Indie games (Stardew Valley, Shovel Knight, Golf Story, Hollow Knight)
  • Smaller eShop titles like Snipperclips, Good Job!, The Stretchers, Boxboy + Girl, Cadence of Hyrule
  • Access to all DLC for all Nintendo first party titles.
Paying for a subscription service is no different than a rental service. In the 1990s, you would pay $5 at Blockbuster to rent one game for 5 days. Paying $15 a month to have access to hundreds of games - retail games, indie games, retro games - seems like a fair proposition to me.
As would I - if it's just about every first party retail title, I'd actually be saving money every year, assuming this service would include NSO/online play. I bought 5 retail titles in 2017, 4 in 2018, 4 in 2019, 3 in 2020, and 3 so far this year. Adding in everything I missed for the same price would be a no-brainer - especially if I get the option to not subscribe in January or February, months where I often end up putting in a single digit number of hours into games.

I don't have the marketing experience or knowledge to know if the amount of consumers spending more would offset the number like me, who are already spending more than that (though of course, I'm spending physically; I'm sure they'd love to cut down on that). I imagine it'd be impossible to know without Game Pass numbers, and even those would only help so much.

That's fine but would it help those games enough to offset how much it would eat into the success of their successful games?

Depends on the price of the service, the number of subscribers, etc.

Microsoft's GamePass service has grown to over 18 million subscribers as of January 2021. Some rumors have it as high as 25-to-30 million subscribers. Switch Online has already reached 32 million paid subscribers with its barebones service.

As I said the other day; Animal Crossing probably generated more revenue than Game Pass did last year.

Mario 8 Kart Deluxe is probably generating $500m+ in revenue a year. That's equivalent to almost 3m subscribers at $180/Year.

NSO Expansion subscribers are getting Happy Home Paradise DLC for Animal Crossing New Horizons....

Depends on the price of the service, the number of subscribers, etc.

Microsoft's GamePass service has grown to over 18 million subscribers as of January 2021. Some rumors have it as high as 25-to-30 million subscribers. Switch Online has already reached 32 million paid subscribers with its barebones service.

NSO Expansion subscribers are getting Happy Home Paradise DLC for Animal Crossing New Horizons....

Of course it does, but think about those Game Pass figures. That was 18m across the 50m+ Xbox userbase, and the hundreds of millions of PC and mobile users. That includes both tiers(Game Pass and Ultimate), and also includes all the deal MS does(like converting existing Gold memberships).

Also I believe that rumour was overly optimistic because people worked it out when Microsoft's financials filings showed Game Pass had missed its target and it was closer to 20m.

Happy Home Paradise is a massive value add but there's a significant difference between including one piece of DLC and including all first party content. For what it's worth I don't believe DLC for Xbox games is included in Game Pass by the way.

To be honest I find that as time goes on I'd rather have less and less subscription services. They're great for the companies that want to take out a recurring payment every month. But so many companies just want a piece of me every month and it just feels exhausting tbh.

I have Netflix, but only because I use my parents account and if they stopped paying it, I probably wouldn't get my own. My favorite streaming service is Pluto, because it's basically like cable, but has some on demand content and is free. I just don't want to sign up for more stuff.

Gamepass is a good deal, but I have a ton of games I already own I could play, more in fact than I have time to. So paying a monthly fee just for even more just seems pointless and wasteful.

To be honest I find that as time goes on I'd rather have less and less subscription services. They're great for the companies that want to take out a recurring payment every month. But so many companies just want a piece of me every month and it just feels exhausting tbh.

I have Netflix, but only because I use my parents account and if they stopped paying it, I probably wouldn't get my own. My favorite streaming service is Pluto, because it's basically like cable, but has some on demand content and is free. I just don't want to sign up for more stuff.

Gamepass is a good deal, but I have a ton of games I already own I could play, more in fact than I have time to. So paying a monthly fee just for even more just seems pointless and wasteful.
Subscription services are part of the capitalist endgame. Corporations now have recurring access to your wallet for services you won't even use half of the time, instead of the occasional purchase for a service you actively need/want.

A subscription service with:

• Robust catalogue of NES, SNES, N64, GB/C, GBA, Genesis, Turbograx (~50 each, +350 in total).
  • All paid DLC for first party titles (animal crossing, splatoon 3, zelda botw 2, xenoblade 3, future mario kart or smash bros games, etc)
  • Free trials (lasts 1 week) once per week or two weeks. Games varied between indies, legacy collections to some big titles. But will almost be indies.

I would pay $60 per year for this type of service.

• Robust catalogue of NES, SNES, N64, GB/C, GBA, Genesis, Turbograx (~50 each, +350 in total).
  • All paid DLC for first party titles (animal crossing, splatoon 3, zelda botw 2, xenoblade 3, future mario kart or smash bros games, etc)
  • Free trials (lasts 1 week) once per week or two weeks. Games varied between indies, legacy collections to some big titles. But will almost be indies.

For $60, points 1 and 3 are reasonable. You aren't getting #2. Best case scenario, Nintendo will offer one major piece of paid DLC per year as part of the service.

Yes, there's a lot of room between what Nintendo are doing at the moment and what Microsoft is doing with Game Pass. I don't think the all-in Game Pass approach makes sense now for Nintendo as it stands.

Subscription services are part of the capitalist endgame. Corporations now have recurring access to your wallet for services you won't even use half of the time, instead of the occasional purchase for a service you actively need/want.
Yeah I agree. I buy movies/shows on disc and I don't see that changing. I vastly prefer a one off purchase and I can always sell the stuff if I decide I don't want it anymore.

I'm a huge Beatles fan, still consider the time I got to see Paul McCartney in concert as my favorite musical experience experience so I was really looking forward to seeing the Get Back movie, and when the theatrical release got canned for Disney plus I was very disappointed. I refuse to subscribe to Disney plus so I still haven't seen it. I would have payed for a movie ticket but won't sub to a service I don't want. I'm hoping for a Blu ray to come out one day so I can actually watch it. If it never comes then I'm perfectly okay never seeing it. I have other things to watch/play/do so if they don't want my money it's no skin off my nose.

Yeah I agree. I buy movies/shows on disc and I don't see that changing. I vastly prefer a one off purchase and I can always sell the stuff if I decide I don't want it anymore.

I'm a huge Beatles fan, still consider the time I got to see Paul McCartney in concert as my favorite musical experience experience so I was really loot forward to seeing the Get Back movie, and when the theatrical release got canned for Disney plus I was very disappointed. I refuse to subscribe to Disney plus so I still haven't seen it. I would have payed for a movie ticket but won't sub to a service I don't want. I'm hoping for a Blu ray to come out one day so I can actually watch it. If it never comes then I'm perfectly okay never seeing it. I have other things to watch/play/do so if they don't want my money it's no skin off my nose.
I'll be surprised if Get Back isn't made available for rental or purchase outside of Disney+ in the future, but who knows. Hopefully you're able to see it someday!

1 & 3 sound great. 2 would be phenomenal but I would also take the PS+ style of giving a few "current" free games per month, even if they were "just" indies.

For $60, points 1 and 3 are reasonable. You aren't getting #2. Best case scenario, Nintendo will offer one major piece of paid DLC per year as part of the service.
I have faith that at least their internal titles will have their DLC pass included in premium subscription service.

That means animal crossing, splatoon 3, zelda botw 2, etc.

But has some doubts about their other studios like Monolith (Xenoblade), Intelligent Systems (Fire Emblem) or Pokémon Company, to name a few.

3D World is such a brilliant multiplayer title. Easily one of the best games that Nintendo's produced in years.
.. and it’s great that they changed SO many little things about the game and made it even better on switch + adding one of the most fun Mario games like ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom