• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST3 Dec. 2021| Topical Threes

When Should Raccoon’s New Nintendo Direct Speculation Thread Launch?

• Monday, Dec. 27 • 12pm EST

Votes: 43 20.0%
  • Saturday, Jan. 1 • 12am EST

Votes: 172 80.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
On one hand:
Youtube has become so corporate, every video is now a large company or rich influencer trying to sell something and the sincerity of individual creators has long gone

On the other hand:
Here's a muppet sitting in his car looking at the ocean, talking about his mental health and gushing about seals.

Haven’t watched, but imagine driving into this lot and seeing this random muppet in a passenger seat staring out into the Pacific…

Edit: I assume Arlo is California based?

Been working through some shorter games to try and clear the backlog. In the past week or so have beaten Cadence of a Hyrule, Blossom Tales, Sayonara Wild Hearts, and What Remains of Edith Finch.

All are good and recommended, but the only must play for me was Edith Finch. There probably should be a trigger warning though because some of the vignettes deal with some heavy material.

A couple of gripes though:

my main issue was that, at the end, there wasn’t much resolution with Edie and they sort of cut out her story when your mom rips the book up. I have read some theories that this is probably a way for the mom to “break the curse” by not letting the stories keep getting passed a long. I figured out pretty quickly that there was no curse and it was just a convenient excuse for the tragedies, but wish we learned more of what happened to her.

I also wish that the text delivery mechanism was a little better because sometimes it would disappear because you weren’t looking at the exact right angle. Maybe I need to play again because there are a lot of environmental elements that I missed and i know the stories now. Would be easier to pick up on the other elements that enrich the characters’ lives.

My final gripe is more because I’m a pedant by nature. I actually spend time every year in a cabin on Orcas Island, so I had to really get out of my own head on the inconsistencies with the island. My biggest gripe is the size of the deer. The island actually has a deer subspecies that is significantly smaller than the mainland deer due to inbreeding over the years. Just couldn’t get over seeing this massive buck. Also, as a complete aside, the deer population is being decimated by a parasite or some bacterial infection right now due to climate change. There are other things like no active cannery for dozens of years, some geographical issues, and no hospitals with an ED when he slices himself on the table saw (the most populated San Juan island didn’t even get a hospital until the mid 2000s), but I thought it was mostly a l decent representation of the setting.

Having trouble finding a game to get into lately, which really sucks. You know when you're in the mood to play a game, but you just can't find the right one?

100% which is why I often fall back on old games I've already played (breezing through DQIV to VI rn). It's what helps me get out of my gaming funks.

So my holiday season of tackling my Vita backlog has resulted in two random crashes that apparently worsen, become more frequent, and eventually kill the hardware.

I swear to god, this thing is the most intense love-hate portable I’ve had. Just absolutely riddled with baffling decisions and poor support. They’re lucky most people ignored it so didn’t get to experience the messiness. I’m just sad I probably won’t get to finish everything I paid for before it cacks it.

Haven’t watched, but imagine driving into this lot and seeing this random muppet in a passenger seat staring out into the Pacific…

In the video he said “Humboldt County” which is in California so yeah.
Having trouble finding a game to get into lately, which really sucks. You know when you're in the mood to play a game, but you just can't find the right one?
Usually for me it happens right after I finish a good game. It’s sometimes hard to get into the mood for something else.

Don't mind me, I'm just over here Yeah!ing all the posts that praise Skyward Sword.

That would be hilarious and I'd wait till he was done and ask for an autograph. Even if I didn't know who Arlo was, just if I thought it was a random muppet. I love muppets.

And yeah, as far as I've gathered from where he tends to talk about spending weekends and where the Arlopalooza tended to take place, he seems to be in northern California. Not the Bay Area, like northern northern California.

Aaalllll the time. Assuming you're on Switch, what I do is sort my games by time played (so the ones I haven't touched are all grouped together), take a picture of the games I have to choose from, then send it to a friend and have her pick (and she's a PC gamer so she generally doesn't know anything about my stuff and chooses based on how the icons strike her. 😂) So it takes the pressure off my brain and I get an unbiased pick from someone I trust.

Last edited:
Don't mind me, I'm just over here Yeah!ing all the posts that praise Skyward Sword.

That would be hilarious and I'd wait till he was done and ask for an autograph. Even if I didn't know who Arlo was, just if I thought it was a random muppet. I love muppets.

And yeah, as far as I've gathered from where he tends to talk about spending weekends and where the Arlopalooza tended to take place, he seems to be in northern California. Not the Bay Area, like northern northern California.
The true Northern California. I had a number of friends in college from Humboldt and Del Norte counties. Spent a bit of time there. I recommend as a good vacation spot for people. Redwoods national park is up there and lots of other beautiful areas.

Ugh I really don't know if I'll be able to salvage my laptop before the 1st. I might have a pretty damn boring and basic OP made on my phone. Sorry y'all.

At least I already made and saved my little animation.

Ugh I really don't know if I'll be able to salvage my laptop before the 1st. I might have a pretty damn boring and basic OP made on my phone. Sorry y'all.

Have you tried this https://windowsreport.com/windows-error-code-0xc0000185/ ? I don't know much about computers either, but it seems this error is common enough to have some answers by googling it. Hope you can solve this, getting your computer borked can be a massive headache.

Have you tried this https://windowsreport.com/windows-error-code-0xc0000185/ ? I don't know much about computers either, but it seems this error is common enough to have some answers by googling it. Hope you can solve this, getting your computer borked can be a massive headache.
None of those solutions apply to my case because A) my laptop doesn't have a CD/DVD drive and B) I can't boot it up to try any of the solutions that use the start button.

I'm trying various things right now, onboard diagnostic is telling me everything is fine, so hopefully I just need to mess with enough boot settings to bypass whatever minor issue this is.

My mother got out of surgery and is doing well. While she is still at the hospital and I am still somewhat worried for her, I now believe that she will be fine.

Direct thread info in 47 minutes

"new" bundle

img_4932xdk9f.jpg

None of those solutions apply to my case because A) my laptop doesn't have a CD/DVD drive and B) I can't boot it up to try any of the solutions that use the start button.

I'm trying various things right now, onboard diagnostic is telling me everything is fine, so hopefully I just need to mess with enough boot settings to bypass whatever minor issue this is.
I imagine if you can put the boot iso in a USB drive you may be able to use the CD/DVD options, but since your only computer is borked, I guess it makes it kind of hard. Sorry, hope you can fix it soon.

I imagine if you can put the boot iso in a USB drive you may be able to use the CD/DVD options, but since your only computer is borked, I guess it makes it kind of hard. Sorry, hope you can fix it soon.
I do have a work computer but I'm not supposed to use it for non work related stuff like that, yeah. Especially when it involves downloading shit.

stand back everyone, I have a computer science degree

have you tried holding the power button for twenty seconds

Halo Infinite has been the only game I've played for about a month and a half now. Once I beat the campaign, I'm looking forward to diving back into Pikmin 3 and starting Bug Fables, since I'm already halfway through the battle pass for multiplayer and the season lasts until May. I can slow my roll a bit.

stand back everyone, I have a computer science degree

have you tried holding the power button for twenty seconds
Tbh I have not. But there seems to be an issue with the windows system registry so I'm not sure that would fix it. I've been rummaging through all of the various boot options and no dice so far.

FHysVniXoAIIbnj

Saw Don't Look Up last night; the climate change allegory is heavy handed but honestly the people who probably need to see it for educational value won't. May require an emotional support pet after viewing, but overall I enjoyed it.

Followed that up with Free Guy to be a little more cheered up. Definitely dumb humour, but I'm in the camp that loves Ryan Reynolds and it did the job.
~~~
RE: Cutting off contact with toxic individuals, I like to think I'm surrounded by a good group of people but there are a few moments when some of my older friends from grade school say some questionable shit and if I try to bring it up I get shut down pretty quick. Hell, kinda sucks knowing that we otherwise align on a lot of social and political issues, but they still think shit like cancel culture is real. Also sucks that if I lose these friends then I really don't have people to hang out with in the same town pre-/post-Covid.
~~~
I am once again a staunch believer/defender of #TeamJanuaryStaysWinning
~~~
Metroid Dread; maybe I haven't played a lot of other Search Action games but I didn't realize how much you genuinely have to backtrack not just rooms you visit but whole worlds to collect power ups and go back to keep progressing. Not that it's a bad thing, just surprising.

Happens to me from time to time. I was able to start ratchet and clank rift a part the other day after just not feeling motivated to play for a while

Halo Infinite has been the only game I've played for about a month and a half now. Once I beat the campaign, I'm looking forward to diving back into Pikmin 3 and starting Bug Fables, since I'm already halfway through the battle pass for multiplayer and the season lasts until May. I can slow my roll a bit.
Yeah I'm closing in on rank 70 with the premium battle pass. Been having fun, when my connection hasn't been inexplicably bad.

Tbh I have not. But there seems to be an issue with the windows system registry so I'm not sure that would fix it. I've been rummaging through all of the various boot options and no dice so far.

FHysVniXoAIIbnj
ooof

I imagine it came with Windows pre-installed? That really blows

Nintendo Direct Speculation Plans
Alright everyone, this is long overdue. I'm very excited to announce my event plans for the Nintendo Direct Speculation thread. I hope that these are well received.

As a reminder, the new Nintendo Direct Speculation thread will coexist with the Nintendo General Discussion threads. On January 1st, @Skittzo will post Nintendo General Discussion |ST4|, and I will post Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST Q1 2022| the same day. Once a Nintendo Direct is announced, the hype season will be over and shortly thereafter my thread will close. If no Direct is announced before March 31st, my thread will end anyways and we'll all go home sad.

Now, let's get into everything I've been planning to really make this thread an event.

#1: Direct Speculation League
Very loosely based on Fantasy Critic League, Direct Speculation League is a somewhat simplified forum game otherwise of my own invention that may or may not be fun. Here is how it will work. Everyone gets draft slots (tentatively seven) and, like Critic, one counterpick slot. What are we drafting? Announcements, of course! Or, more precisely, games that you think will be featured in the Q1 Nintendo Direct. Quality and hype have nothing to do with it, mind you. Your only objective is to have the most games present.

Due to the different nature of Direct Speculation, drafting will be a little different as well. That is, there will be none. Everything will be done by auction here, on Famiboards. Later this week I will announce the starter nominees, and when the thread starts the auctions will start.

Everyone has been given 1600 Wii Points
for Christmas by Uncle Raccoon. Jewish people will also receive 1600 Wii Points. Muslims as well. Christmas is sort of a secular holiday now, so everyone nonreligious gets the Christmas Wii Points. Other religions can have the secular Christmas Wii Points too. Regardless, everyone has 1600 Wii Points, and the first round of auctions start at 200.

Auctioning will take place in the thread, but I think that b3llydrum would be mad at me if my entire shiny new Direct thread was just people saying "Zelda for 300!" and "600 on Kirby!" These sorts of posts will be prohibited by me as Nintendo Direct Speculation OP. Such is my right. So how will we auction? It's simple really. Every bid must be included in a regular Direct thread post. They're really really easy, trust me. You could share an opinion, make a joke, a shitpost, or just say that you're hyped. But I will not recognize bids that stand alone.

The first bidding period will last an excruciating three days. Following that point, anyone can request that bidding start for another game. Unlike Fantasy Critic which is bound by reality, you can request literally anything and the following day I will start the bidding for it. These requested auctions will start at 0, yes zero, Wii Points. This will be very valuable as rumor season kicks off.

Oh, and the counterpick. Once any auction period, including the starter set, ends, you can counterpick the awarded game, which basically means that you'll get points if it isn't in the Direct. These will be awarded first come, first serve, so be sure to be around if you want to snatch up a counterpick.

Here's the last rule: Opinions. For every game you pick up, you should have an immutable Opinion shortly after winning the auction (these, by the by, will make a very good bid padding as well). An Opinion can be anything from a specific release date to unknown details about a game. I'll keep track of these, and they will be used to break any ties.

Oh, and lastly (this is important), please @ me in any of the following posts:

• bidding for a game
  • requesting a counterpick
  • requesting a new auction
  • establishing your Opinion

Oh wait, one more thing. Did I mention you'll get 20 USD (or local equivalent) of eShop credit for winning?

I'll have a more formal explanation of the game up in my thread's original post, so please look forward to that.

#2: #TeamDirect
[EDITOR'S NOTE:] I feel like I'm going to get a bunch of posts right away, so here's a reminder that none of this starts until January 1st, and it'll all be confined to the new Nintendo Direct Speculation thread. Moving on.

These are gonna be simple, and probably more fun. In the first week of the thread, you have to pick a team: #TeamJanuary, #TeamFebruary, or #TeamMarch. This alignment cannot be changed later. The members of the winning team will all be entered into a raffle to win 5 USD (or local equivalent) of eShop credit. Please @ me in the post where you officially declare your team, following the below format.

@Raccoon

I, (username), vow my allegiance to [#TeamJanuary, #TeamFebruary, #TeamMarch], til by Direct do we part. I will cherish my brethren in my Team, and we shall be super annoying to people on the other teams in this thread and the rest of the site. Amen.

Or you can just @ me and say what team you want to be on, that's fine too.

As a bonus, if you change your forum tag to your team (#TeamJanuary, #TeamFebruary, or #TeamMarch exactly) when you make your alignment, leave it that way for the duration of the thread, and happen to win the raffle, I'll bump your prize up to 10 USD (or local equivalent).

#3: Direct Dailies

Golly Raccoon, this sure is a whole lot of crap to keep up with. Well indeed it is little Jimmy, but that's nothing new for the Nintendo Direct Speculation thread. We've always received complaints about being too abstruse, too hard to follow, and too much like a personal Discord for the most active members of this community. To make this thread easier to participate in, I present the Direct Daily, a nano podcast companion to the thread.

Every day at a set time (TBD), I will upload a short, roughly five minute update on the thread. Think of it like a sports radio broadcast. Every morning (again, TBD) I'll recap the thread's discussion from the previous day, vaguely allude to any rumors that have cropped up (without making specific reference to the maligned people who share them), summarize any bidding in progress, and announce what bidding is starting that day.

My goal is to make this thread as easy to follow as I can to raise participation, even if that participation means way more work for me (oh no).

#4 Traditional Podcast (TBD)
Also in development is a more traditional, regular community podcast.
Unfortunately hosts, content, and release schedule are all TBD, but I'm very excited for it nonetheless. While I would still like to keep it relatively short, this could be a great avenue for elevated discussions, more detailed reasoning, and even guests from the community. I'm hoping to have more details about this initiative prepared in January, so please stay tuned.

So yep, that's everything. I hope that more of you are excited than are rolling your eyes. I think all of this could be really fun and could encourage even more speculation.

And finally, everything above is subject to change, especially at your request! If you have ideas for tweaks to improve the ideas listed above, please share them with me, and I'll be happy to take them into consideration.

Thank you for reading this very long post.

(@Suswave oh titan of the abyss, please bless me with a threadmark)

Last edited:
also I just realized y'all are gonna need a lot more wii points

maybe I'll give people more later in the thread idk

try pressing F11 while it's starting up
My computer uses F2 for setup and F12 for boot options. I'll try F11 but I'm not sure it'll do anything.

I'm looking for some way to find a console to input the bootrec command but so far nothing is letting me type in anything.

I am once again asking for a new 2D/top-down Zelda. Death's Door is all kinds of fantastic, but it is making me realise how much I want to see what EPD 3 could do to reinvent or improve on the top-down Zelda formula. I'd sort of put that desire to one side because from what I could see, the lead design group for portable Zelda have cropped up on a few Switch games since 2017, which maybe suggests at some point they were pulled away from Zelda to work on other projects.

Can't quite remember, though. I did go through a feverish research/speculation frenzy earlier this year on Era when it comes to 'portable' Zelda, and I successfully swung myself from "optimistic it will happen soon" to "who knows if Nintendo could even get a production team together soon pessimism".

I do have a work computer but I'm not supposed to use it for non work related stuff like that, yeah. Especially when it involves downloading shit.
You probably can download eveything from microsoft official website or other very trustworthy pages, but honestly, I'd not risk it either. I hope you can find the solution as soon as possible.

A little update on my not-very-serious gaming woes:

1. I'm glad I'm not alone in feeling this from time to time. With that in mind:
2. Do NOT go shopping while you are feeling this way omg. I went to a few stores to see what sales they have on games, and walked out with Monkey Ball, SMT V (I've never even played an SMT!), Monster Hunter Rise, and the freakin' Metroid amiibo, even though I've beaten that game 4 times! I just kept thinking "oooo, this could be fun." I also re-downloaded Dragon Quest 11 S to my switch. Only every made it about 5 hours in.

(I should mention that I've owned Monster Hunter Rise before and really enjoyed it. But I thought I was finished with it and gifted it to a friend. I've been wanting to play some more, though--especially with the expansion on the way--and for only $25 I couldn't resist. Got SMT V for only $30 as well!)

also I just realized y'all are gonna need a lot more wii points

maybe I'll give people more later in the thread idk
I think 1600 is fine, no? The size of bids will surely be relative to the total number of points anyway, so for example all doubling the number of Wii points everyone gets will achieve will be to double the size of bids

I think 1600 is fine, no? The size of bids will surely be relative to the total number of points anyway, so for example all doubling the number of Wii points everyone gets will achieve will be to double the size of bids
yeah I'll probably play it by ear and only give people points if the economy gets bad

1600 is definitely the starting place

oh, one more thing that I didn't feel the need to touch on

I'm not participating in the league. I will affiliate with a #Team but I won't be in the raffle for obvious reasons

I'll never understand Tetris showing up in some of those Indie montages Nintendo publishes... Literally one of the biggest IPs in the world; it's so odd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom