• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST3 Dec. 2021| Topical Threes

When Should Raccoon’s New Nintendo Direct Speculation Thread Launch?

• Monday, Dec. 27 • 12pm EST

Votes: 43 20.0%
  • Saturday, Jan. 1 • 12am EST

Votes: 172 80.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If BotW2 appears at TGA I'll do 100 push ups a day until Christmas

Edit: 100 sit ups for Xenoblade 3 and 100 burpees for Prime 4

Edit edit: 100 waahs for Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope

Last edited:
Subscription services are part of the capitalist endgame. Corporations now have recurring access to your wallet for services you won't even use half of the time, instead of the occasional purchase for a service you actively need/want.

This is definitely true.

Also, subscription services have exploded because corporations want to collect your data. Purchasing an individual physical product doesn't help corporations collect much data on you. Companies want to see how you spend your day (what games you play, what films you watch, how much time you spend on an activity). All of this data-collecting helps businesses make smarter decisions on future products and services.

Nintendo has already made some big business decisions based on NSO data. (Games that they've greenlit)

Throwing this crazy theory out there that Nintendo should market forgotten IPs with their presence in Smash Bros. Just make a new F-Zero, slap "feat. Captain Falcon from the Super Smash Bros. series" on the cover and watch it sell eleventeen gazillion copies.

This may or may not be yet another ploy of mine to conceal my bi-quarterly begging for a new F-Zero.
Ngl I discovered a lot of amazing franchises I'd never heard of before through Smash Bros

This is definitely true.

Also, subscription services have exploded because corporations want to collect your data. Purchasing an individual physical product doesn't help corporations collect much data on you. Companies want to see how you spend your day (what games you play, what films you watch, how much time you spend on an activity). All of this data-collecting helps businesses make smarter decisions on future products and services.

Nintendo has already made some big business decisions based on NSO data. (Games that they've greenlit)

well, well, well…

I hope you can tell us one day which games you’re referring to

Remember everyone that the entertainment industry is a zero sum game, with all of these companies vying for your time. Right now we have this weird PR phenomena of the big game companies all being buddies and their victories are shared, but that just isn't the case.

If BotW2 appears at TGA I'll do 100 push ups a day until Christmas

Edit: 100 sit ups for Xenoblade 3 and 100 burpees for Prime 4
Aonuma appearing in a video or onstage and saying anything along the lines of, "I'm sure seeing me made you believe there is news on the Sequel to the Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild. Unfortunately we have no news to share..." counts.

This is definitely true.

Oooh. We finally know how to get a new F-Zero.

Aonuma appearing in a video or onstage and saying anything along the lines of, "I'm sure seeing me made you believe there is news on the Sequel to the Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild. Unfortunately we have no news to share..." counts.
This would probably still overshadow any other likely Nintendo showing!

This is definitely true.

I need you all to start playing lots of Punch-Out!! ok

Happy to hear this news that the NSO data is being used as expected, but heartwrenching that there's no way this relates to the Gamecube games I'd be most excited for 😞

Betcha a dollar it's Clu Clu Land: Revengeance that internal data shows is what the people want

I'm choosing to take this to mean people in Japan finally discovered Startropics and there's a new one coming.

This is definitely true.

Finally. Kirby Air ride 99

what's up
Oops 😅 I was sharing a remark I found funny about BBA having screenshots on the front cover of the box but after re-reading what I posted it sounded a bit unintentionally mean so I removed it

But it's a kinda interesting marketing tactic nonetheless 🤔

This is definitely true.

Can't wait to play F-Zero X every during all my free time to get a new one greenlit!

This is definitely true.

NSO is separate from the Switch's telemetry features (unless it was specifically telemetry about an NSO-exclusive application, like the retro game apps), which are on as long as you have an Internet connection, with or without NSO. So I don't really see the connection.

Happy to hear this news that the NSO data is being used as expected, but heartwrenching that there's no way this relates to the Gamecube games I'd be most excited for 😞

Betcha a dollar it's Clu Clu Land: Revengeance that internal data shows is what the people want

In a different timeline there’s GC games on NSO but their poor performance made Nintendo cancel projects instead.

This is definitely true.

Wait, what does this mean? Does that mean that we are getting more retro revivals? I can't wait to find out what we could we from this.

This is definitely true.

We're gonna get our brand new f-zero one day.. Let's play F-zero X when it comes !!

Nintendo currently sells 100m+ pieces of their own software each year.

Let's assume an ASP around 50$, Nintendo takes around 100% for each digital copy and around 65% for each retail copy. So let's say, that they take on average 80% per copy.

These would translate to around 4B$+/year in income coming from 1st party sales.

In order to match that, your GamePass like sub service would need 33M+ subscribers (at 10$/month) and that's not even accounting with the added costs of running the service and make it worthwhile (i.e paying for additional content).

That's double of where Xbox is now with several years of significant backing. Truth is, MS was probably the only big actor in a position to make that move since they have the money and their 1st party sales were very low during the Xbox One generation.

Because they’re so violently outdated that they outweigh any of those things. Who cares how good the camera work is when it’s all in service of highlighting a Machamp with 3 whole polygons, or the ugliest Eevee I’ve ever seen?
lots of people. the Game Freak games are the exact opposite with 10,000+ triangle models but the stiffest presentation for the longest time.

it's why you have a lot of comparisons like this, and numerous videos lamenting how those low poly models having more life than the current animations

lnG8TPlPdKJ6KiiSxqirUM_6kklYOSqqvmOIfkOkFiU.jpg

If Nintendo is greenlighting something Earthbound cause of NSO demands.

Then they are going to greenlight so many other Nintendo IPs that have had more demand lol.

We all have one or two games with infinite bomba potential that we hope Nintendo accidentally makes a sequel to.
Pokemon Snap took 20 years to get a sequel for only 1.5 million copies sold.

If Custom Robo made 400K worldwide since release in 2004, I guess I can wait until 2064 for a new entry before I get impatient, eh?

I must say, even if I and the 5 million DK fans out there play nothing but DKC, Nintendo will still make us wait another decade. 😔

Pokemon Snap took 20 years to get a sequel for only 1.5 million copies sold.

If Custom Robo made 400K worldwide since release in 2004, I guess I can wait until 2064 for a new entry before I get impatient, eh?

Snap actually did over 3,6m and New Snap is at ~2,7m. That’s what we’re fighting against 😢

I don’t think the sales potential was a barrier to a new Snap tbh

edit: corrected the number

Last edited:
Snap actually did over 3,6m and New Snap is at 2,19m. That’s what we’re fighting against 😢

I don’t think the sales potential was a barrier to a new Snap tbh
Damn you Wikipedia for lying to me!!

Guess CR will be destined for sometime next century at this rate lol

Deep down I agree, but it's all I cling to because I can't imagine why it wouldn't have happened otherwise; it was probably the least problematic control scheme used on an N64 controller, StarFox went through Adventures and Assault and wasn't exactly tied to the railshooter genre at the time, Pokemon's maintained popularity if not grew since it came out, it surely must have had a resurgence in popularity when released on the Wii VC, the Wii U was floundering and if anything was a time to be experimental and see what stuck to the walls was then especially with asymmetrical gameplay as a selling point.

If anything I can only assume otherwise the lack of retail space (RIP Blockbuster) to print out your ingame photos is the biggest reason why a sequel never happened

My shot in the dark on a game greenlit due to NSO would be the rumored Donkey Kong game. I imagine DKC was popular on NSO, and the theoretical development timeline would've began not too long after they started popping up on the service.

The one problem with this theory is that they should already know Donkey Kong is popular.

hahaha I'd love a source for that
It was from the recent joint interview with Harada. He isn't happy with people projecting quotes on to him in general.

So what I’m getting is that Nintendo is so impressed with the amount of people playing Panel De Pon on NSO that they’ve greenlit a new game, who knew that was all it would take.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom