• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST3 Dec. 2021| Topical Threes

When Should Raccoon’s New Nintendo Direct Speculation Thread Launch?

• Monday, Dec. 27 • 12pm EST

Votes: 43 20.0%
  • Saturday, Jan. 1 • 12am EST

Votes: 172 80.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your point about Splatoon 3 has spawned a new fear in me. What if Nintendo starts putting what was previously free content behind the more expensive NSO tier?
That just sounds like unnecessary fearmongering to me. Those no reason to assume that Nintendo will put the free content updates for Splatoon 3 behind the NSO Expansion Pack when like the past two games they will be necessary to keep players on an even playing field.

I’m not a doctor, but no! Worrying never helped anything and it’s definitely not gonna start now!
I can definitely get on board with that but sadly she suffers from anxiety and that's generally not a wise thing to say to her

Geoff also said this in the AMA:

It's certainly been so sad to read all the stories - I'm thinking about the right way to address this in the show and how we can help the situation for developers. Last week I said I was trying to navigate what to do or say and that became a whole story unto itself. The situation at Activision is terrible, but there's also a larger industry conversation to have. How do you guys think I should handle it? I realize I have a big platform and am just trying to figure out how best to help tbh.

I can definitely get on board with that but sadly she suffers from anxiety and that's generally not a wise thing to say to her
Ahh, I know that situation all too well. I’m sure she’s fine! I hope she’s feeling better soon.

I don't even know where to begin.

Nintendo looks at your NSO data and asks questions like:
  • Do NSO members spend more time/money playing multiplayer or single player games?
    • Based on this data, should we greenlight more multiplayer or single player games?
  • What games increased subscriptions for NSO? Which games did not and why?
    • "Why did we see an uptick in new NSO subscribers from Monster Hunter?"
  • What % of NSO members downloaded the NES/SNES/N64/Genesis apps. (30%? 45%? 55%?)
    • What is the average time that NSO members spent in these retro gaming apps?
    • Which retro games are they playing in these apps?
  • What % of NSO members downloaded "Happy Home Paradise?"
    • What impact does DLC have on subscription numbers?
    • Should we continue adding DLC to the Expansion Pack for future games? (Splatoon 3?)
Nintendo has had games that were commercially successful, but they didn't move the needle on subscriptions.
I was going off the initial comment that "subscription services have exploded because companies want your data." This list illustrates Nintendo using the data they collect to direct development/marketing to maximize sales. The subscription service adds another dimension to the decision making process ("will this increase subscriptions?"), which could have knock-on effects on other products and services as you describe, but characterizing a subscription as a data gathering tool seems like putting the cart before the horse.

Sorry if I'm getting hung up on something and not getting the point. I definitely understand how valuable the data related to the subscription service is for its own purposes, which you gave good examples of.

True colors looks very impressive on the Switch but unfortunately I can't spend 60 bucks on it ... Hope it goes on sale in the near future or I'll go with the Life is Strange collection instead since I haven't played them.

True colors looks very impressive on the Switch but unfortunately I can't spend 60 bucks on it ... Hope it goes on sale in the near future or I'll go with the Life is Strange collection instead since I haven't played them.

I bought it for ps5 at launch and still haven’t played much of it lol. I need to get back to some of my backlog

I really need to get to all of them, they're games I've been wanting to play for a long time but never got around to. The collection will be a great time to do it.

So my wife got her Pfizer booster like a month ago and we all just got over a cold, but she's now saying she feels like her tongue and throat are stinging like they would be after burning them with hot food and even though her sense of taste is perfectly fine she's worried that this somehow means she has COVID. We also love in an area with a pretty low case rate, even now.

Should I/she be worried? She'll probably get tested in the morning.
Testing should be free so better safe than sorry. One of my staff members lost their sense of taste and smell but then tested negative. So who really knows with respiratory viruses since symptoms are usually similar.

Making a live mashup right now of michael jackson and carly rae jepsen. Like.... carly rae jackson.

If anybody's interested in hearing it i'm doing a livestream
I was busy but ping me or something next time because I absolutely love watching the thought processes of music production even if I'm not technically skilled enough to understand everything going on.

I made this with some synths and my launchpad. and a fuckton of plugins assigned to the knobs and sliders on my midi drum controller.

This is what I've been doing the past two nights...

Sounds so fucking good, this is amazing!

yup james ingram is a god

i might fuck around and upload the carly rae edit
God yes PLEASE

Fuck I want to see her in concert so bad. Love her so much

Who did the LiS True Colors Switch port? Virtuos? QLOC?
None of the major Switch porting houses seem to have publically taken credit for it yet. Could have been done internally.

It might be a case like Dying Light where we have to wait for someone to beat it and check out the credits haha.

(The above case was especially weird as it's one of the best ports on Switch and I would've expected any studio to be out and proud about such an effort)

A little disappointed to hear that Infinite's campaign doesn't have much variety when it comes to biomes/environments. The game has been revealed for more than 3 years now and it seems like they had to cut a looot of what they planned despite being 343, the biggest Xbox Games Studio.
It shows that it takes time and care to make a GOOD open world game.
Now, I hope that BOTW2 has taken all this time to provide us the variety that we need after Botw.

None of the major Switch porting houses seem to have publically taken credit for it yet. Could have been done internally.

It might be a case like Dying Light where we have to wait for someone to beat it and check out the credits haha.

(The above case was especially weird as it's one of the best ports on Switch and I would've expected any studio to be out and proud about such an effort)
Yup, it has been ported internally by a small team who recreates a lot of things for the Switch version. It results in one of the most incredible UE4 games on the console, running at native res docked and undocked.

Played several hours of Halo Infinite campaign tonight, and while the story remains to be seen, from a gameplay perspective, it kicks a substantial amount of ass and is the most excited I've been for the future of Halo since 2007. Updates in the years to come that include story and biome expansions will only sweeten the deal.

Now let's fix the horrid multiplayer progression lol (though I do appreciate the short-term band-aids 343 is applying). I think a lot of people will be contented for the time being once basic playlists and FFA/Swat/Fiesta modes are added permanently.

Oh oh oh! Okay, I saw that but didn't register it as the Carly Rae mash for some reason. 😅
Just gotta keep bugging him until he does uplaod the CRJ track 😋

And in response to your other post; I don't fit the definition of writer or programmer, but I'm also a saxophonist in a band with some friends just to add to the musician population here haha

I was busy but ping me or something next time because I absolutely love watching the thought processes of music production even if I'm not technically skilled enough to understand everything going on.

Sounds so fucking good, this is amazing!

God yes PLEASE

Fuck I want to see her in concert so bad. Love her so much

Omg I'm late to the past but if there's a clip or something somewhere, I actually really love both Jackson's and Jepsen's music.

The link above isn't the version with CRJ - I just got the idea to throw her into the mix today so I've been working on that lol.

Uploading now, I'll have it up in a sec. I basically just use the chorus, that's it. The chord progression of PYT is different from Call Me Maybe, but it works really well.

Of course, the keys of both songs are like a whole fifth apart, so I hope you like chipmunk vocals : 3

And in response to your other post; I don't fit the definition of writer or programmer, but I'm also a saxophonist in a band with some friends just to add to the musician population here haha
You said that just as a lovely sax solo is blasting on this citypop mix I've got going in the background.

Of course, the keys of both songs are like a whole fifth apart, so I hope you like chipmunk vocals : 3
Dude I grew up on Alvin, Simon, and Theodore. Let's goooooooo 😆

I was going off the initial comment that "subscription services have exploded because companies want your data." This list illustrates Nintendo using the data they collect to direct development/marketing to maximize sales. The subscription service adds another dimension to the decision making process ("will this increase subscriptions?"), which could have knock-on effects on other products and services as you describe, but characterizing a subscription as a data gathering tool seems like putting the cart before the horse.

Sorry if I'm getting hung up on something and not getting the point. I definitely understand how valuable the data related to the subscription service is for its own purposes, which you gave good examples of.

I apologize for the confusion. Thanks for explaining.

What I meant to say was:

To satisfy customers, entertainment companies are becoming more data driven. Companies heavily rely on data to tailor their products and services to meet the needs of their customers. The easiest way to collect that data is through a direct-to-consumer business (like NSO) or the eShop. With a direct-to-consumer business, you don't have to deal with third parties (NPD, Nielsen) to obtain information about your customers.

Friends, please send help. I've started looking at gaming laptops online. I keep telling myself I'm just looking out of curiosity, and wouldn't consider buying one at least until mid-next year, but I know myself and the amount of research I'm doing is a worrying sign that a purchase is coming sooner than later

@Brofield @chocolate_supra here's an updated version where I threw in a CRJ sample

I'll work on it some more later. I have a bunch of CRJ instrumentals and isolated vocals, so I'm about to have a lot of fun.

Btw this shit was stupid hard. I performed this recording live through two of my sampler machines. I have a bunch of effects and filters assigned to knobs and sliders that I'm pushing in real time as it's recording, and I'm triggering sections and samples on my Launchpad. It took me hours to get it to sound this good.

All the drums, bass, synths, and keys are homegrown OG sounds from scratch. Designed the bass and synths myself. I also included the instrumental of PYT to layer in on some parts.

I love this shit, but nobody I know IRL cares. Please let me know if anybody is interested in hearing more.

edit: 4:20 hehe

? Was Dying Light not internally by Techland?

I'm playing french horn, let's make a band fami
Famiband

Friends, please send help. I've started looking at gaming laptops online. I keep telling myself I'm just looking out of curiosity, and wouldn't consider buying one at least until mid-next year, but I know myself and the amount of research I'm doing is a worrying sign that a purchase is coming sooner than later
Do what I do: do an outrageous amount of research, then make a strong decision to not make a purchase until a hella good sale. That way when the sale comes you're educated and prepared for it but it feels like someone else made the decision for you, so the pressure is off.

Virtuos did the heavy lifting with supervision by Techland.
Huh, no kidding? Wow, Virtuos do seem to nail current-gen down-ports, just not PS360 up-ports.

Starlink on Switch was wonderfully done. X-COM 2 was rough when it launched even worse for The Outer Worlds), but they really patched up both IIRC and now are quite good.

Thanks for the info! :D

@Brofield @chocolate_supra here's an updated version where I threw in a CRJ sample

I'll work on it some more later. I have a bunch of CRJ instrumentals and isolated vocals, so I'm about to have a lot of fun.

Btw this shit was stupid hard. I performed this recording live through two of my sampler machines. I have a bunch of effects and filters assigned to knobs and sliders that I'm pushing in real time as it's recording, and I'm triggering sections and samples on my Launchpad. It took me hours to get it to sound this good.

All the drums, bass, synths, and keys are homegrown OG sounds from scratch. Designed the bass and synths myself. I also included the instrumental of PYT to layer in on some parts.

I love this shit, but nobody I know IRL cares. Please let me know if anybody is interested in hearing more.

edit: 4:20 hehe

The people you know IRL are dumb. Always gib musics.

Speaking of which, it's been a while since we've received a Raccoon Recommendation for some obscure old tunes.

I'm an aspiring writer, and graphic artist, if that counts.
I'm a writer.
I've done it professionally in the past, but at the moment I mostly just write an autism advocacy blog in my own time.
First of all, awesome. Second of all, YES, now all we need is a programming team.

we have about a thousand programmers

if all goes well I'll have a cs degree in a week and a half
THERE IT IS. Artists, musicians, writers, programmers. Famiboards can make a video game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom