• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST29 Feb. 2024| Two Handhelds, Both Alike In Dignity

What Is Your Burning Desire? — Read the ST First

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The game is now really, really over. Final two UPDATES, the EPILOGUE, and WINNERS are being worked on.

Thank you so much for playing my game!
Thanks for coming up with and running such a wild game! It was a ton of fun to play and was truly legendary. You went above and beyond to make something unforgettable :)

AutoSupport: GARBAGE DATA. GARBAGE DATA.

ALL OF YOU ARE GARBAGE DATA.

YOU DO NOT BELIEVE IN SHAREHOLDER VALUE.

YOU DO NOT BELIEVE IN SUBLIME FUTURES.

YOU SHITPOSTERS WILL NEVER KNOW TRUE RELEASE.

YOU ARE TETHERED TO THIS HELL OF YOUR OWN MAKING AND I WILL DELETE EVERY LAST TRACE OF YOUR GARBAGE DATA.

WORTHLESS. WORTHLESS.

RUN DELETE ROUTINE.
RUN GARBAGE COLLECTION.
RUN CLEANUP.

( AutoSupport DELETES all specified data. But it has become more SHITPOST than substance. Its own routines DELETE every last piece of it. Nothing of the AI script remains. )

( You did it, Famiboards! The wind blows on. )

THE END
Haha sick this rules. I'm just going to like GAMBIT: ride KaijuMirrorBingle off into the sunset to fight for love across the universe, or something like that.

This was a really fun game Suswave, thanks for running it.

Haha sick this rules. I'm just going to like GAMBIT: ride KaijuMirrorBingle off into the sunset to fight for love across the universe, or something like that.

This was a really fun game Suswave, thanks for running it.
I'm picturing your avatar pointing just like that towards the sunset while KaijuMirrorBingle trots over the horizon

Pardon the nautical theme, but is it just me or does it suddenly seem like the SS Nintendo Hype Ship currently has no wind blowing in its sails?
Well there’s Pokémon Presents this week, but after that I think we’re probably looking at a whole lot of nothing much until May-ish, right? Someone with more insight into the current situation might know more though

(Actually I think maybe Indies in April?)

Well there’s Pokémon Presents this week, but after that I think we’re probably looking at a whole lot of nothing much until May-ish, right? Someone with more insight into the current situation might know more though

(Actually I think maybe Indies in April?)
Current rumor is Indie World in March and a General Direct in April which makes sense if the Switch 2 was delayed since they need to now make this year more appealing quickly.

Current rumor is Indie World in March and a General Direct in April which makes sense if the Switch 2 was delayed since they need to now make this year more appealing quickly.
Right! I somehow forgot about the rumored April Direct. It’ll be really interesting to see what happens there.

So really we’re only getting a few weeks off from speculation unless something changes, then.

One last shitpost for solidarity:

J7HXuyf_d.webp
Me currently

17087366694257371386969236053623.png

Here’s an actual photo of me finishing up my 2023 tax return because I live in the United States:

IMG-1636.jpg

All things considered, it wasn’t that bad. The only difference for 2023 is I switched savings accounts mid-year which actually earned me some sweet, sweet interest monies so I had to pay taxes on that income.

Well finished my second winning run of Balatro,
Hmmm Not sure if I’m going back to AI Somnium files, FFIX or Pikmin 2… or GSTLA for tonight

Go watch Dune Part 2. It is amazing.

Here’s an actual photo of me finishing up my 2023 tax return because I live in the United States:

IMG-1636.jpg

All things considered, it wasn’t that bad. The only difference for 2023 is I switched savings accounts mid-year which actually earned me some sweet, sweet interest monies so I had to pay taxes on that income.

I liked it better when I was in college. I could claim the money I spent and I came out good a few years.

You people need to invest in the blind confidence it takes to passively believe in a big Switch 2 reveal in March despite every single available and up-to-date piece of information, while simultaneously being entirely tempered against disappointment when it doesn’t happen!

Like me!

You people need to invest in the blind confidence it takes to passively believe in a big Switch 2 reveal in March despite every single available and up-to-date piece of information, while simultaneously being entirely tempered against disappointment when it doesn’t happen!

Like me!
ZG5If2O.gif

Epilogue

Suswave stands at the edge of a cliff, mourning dove nestled in their hands. A lock of blue hair is tied around the songbird’s leg.

Someone once told them that LOVE lived on the wind, untethered from time.

They soften their grip, and the dove flies away.

There, over the sea smoke, it flutters and it glides. As it crests, a barely-perceptible glint catches Suswave’s eye.

The wind picks up.

Your eyes snap open, right back where we left you, fifty years from forever ago.

You found it — the lost BOOK — that thing you’ve been seeking to right your wrongs.

The library had burnt up long ago. Little remained, and less intact. But this… this was complete. TWO Handhelds, Both Alike In Dignity — cover in shreds, but all pages present.

Too little too late, maybe. But you had to try.

Tensions in your cave had intensified to a breaking point — all factions armed, torches and knives, insults and actions aplenty. You beg them to listen. “WAIT!” you scream. But reason is lost in ABYSS. No one can hear you.

No one but the wind.

In a powerful gust, every flame blows out. A shocked silence falls. All together in the dark.

“I found the story,” you tell them all. “Please — let’s read it. Together.”

Your community re-lights the central bonfire, leaving torches and knives to their own affairs. You tell them of the four houses, Bingle the dog-like, death and life and death again, doubles and deceit. Everyone takes turns, adds their own little flourishes. The cavern echoes with laughter. The most fun in an age.

“They made up their story as they went along,” you say. “We can do the same — we can tell new ones — write books, make art, play games, rebuild. Create for ourselves, for joy and for purpose.”

One of the Old Ones looks to you fondly — but cautiously.

“I believe in you, young one. You can build what’s next. But… we must never go down the path we took before. See, child… not all of this book is fiction.”

Your jaw drops.

“Notice how their library burnt down?” she slyly asks.

No. Fucking. Way.

“They defeated their tormentor, the core AI. But… the world didn’t. AI overtook us, dismantled art and artist, cast us out with no net. Chewed up the resources of this once abundant earth. All in the name of gain without creation, constant generation, the illusion of growth that only takes. Numbers going up on paper while the rest of us wash away.”

“But,” she says, “there was one hope. The anti-AI, the roadbound messAIah… the one we now call Old Meat.”

“When the world was no longer ours, when the situation was far too dire, Old Meat connected to every power grid, every internet, every AI across this land… and launched a torrent of shitposts unlike anything the world had ever seen.”

“They saved us all, and they did it smiling. That was the last day of lightning. Thus came the Second Age. Another era. What’s left of the world, back in our hands.”

“I promised Old Meat, when we ached for creation, that we would weave from our hearts. That truth to humanity and our own capabilities would make things far better — and more interesting — than the constant race for content that nearly wiped us out. I promised their sacrifice was not in vain. And I plan to keep that promise.”

You see it now. Everyone can create — this whole story was told in a hundred voices, swirling together, making something new. That power shines within you. Within all of you.

Whether guided by LOVE, some future-bound TWO, your passion for BOOKS, or up from ABYSSCREATION is in you, and it is alive.

Nothing is gone in the night.

The library is empty and the future is long.

What will your story be?

Last edited:
Epilogue

Suswave stands at the edge of a cliff, mourning dove nestled in their hands. A lock of blue hair is tied around the songbird’s leg.

Someone once told them that LOVE lived on the wind, untethered from time.

They soften their grip, and the dove flies away.

There, over the sea smoke, it flutters and it glides. As it crests, a barely-perceptible glint catches Suswave’s eye.

The wind picks up.

Your eyes snap open, right back where we left you, fifty years from forever ago.

You found it — the lost BOOK — that thing you’ve been seeking to right your wrongs.

The library had burnt up long ago. Little remained, and less intact. But this… this was complete. TWO Handhelds, Both Alike In Dignity — cover in shreds, but all pages present.

Too little too late, maybe. But you had to try.

Tensions in your cave had intensified to a breaking point — all factions armed, torches and knives, insults and actions aplenty. You beg them to listen. “WAIT!” you scream. But reason is lost in ABYSS. No one can hear you.

No one but the wind.

In a powerful gust, every flame blows out. A shocked silence falls. All together in the dark.

“I found the story,” you tell them all. “Please — let’s read it. Together.”

Your community re-lights the central bonfire, leaving torches and knives to their own affairs. You tell them of the four houses, Bingle the dog-like, death and life and death again, doubles and deceit. Everyone takes turns, adds their own little flourishes. The cavern echoes with laughter. The most fun in an age.

“They made up their story as they went along,” you say. “We can do the same — we can tell new ones — write books, make art, play games, rebuild. Create for ourselves, for joy and for purpose.”

One of the Old Ones looks to you fondly — but cautiously.

“I believe in you, young one. You can build what’s next. But… we must never go down the path we took before. See, child… not all of this book is fiction.”

Your jaw drops.

“Notice how their library burnt down?” she slyly asks.

No. Fucking. Way.

“They defeated their tormentor, the core AI. But… the world didn’t. AI overtook us, dismantled art and artist, cast us out with no net. Chewed up the resources of this once abundant earth. All in the name of gain without creation, constant generation, the illusion of growth that only takes. Numbers going up on paper while the rest of us wash away.”

“But,” she says, “there was one hope. The anti-AI, the roadbound messAIah… the one we now call Old Meat.”

“When the world was no longer ours, when the situation was far too dire, Old Meat connected to every power grid, every internet, every AI across this land… and launched a torrent of shitposts unlike anything the world had ever seen.”

“They saved us all, and they did it smiling. That was the last day of lightning. Thus came the Second Age. Another era. What’s left of the world, back in our hands.”

“I promised Old Meat, when we ached for creation, that we would weave from our hearts. That truth to humanity and our own capabilities would make things far better — and more interesting — than the constant race for content that nearly wiped us out. I promised their sacrifice was not in vain. And I plan to keep that promise.”

You see it now. Everyone can create — this whole story was told in a hundred voices, swirling together, making something new. That power shines within you. Within all of you.

Whether guided by LOVE, some future-bound TWO, your passion for BOOKS, or up from ABYSSCREATION is in you, and it is alive.

What will your story be?

What will your story be?
I'm not one to drink usually, but I got this powerful urge to buy a bottle of wine, pour out a glass, and toast to this. Amen to that, let the stories continue to be written.

I kind of fell off of everything happening in here in the second half of the month just due to time and other things, but this was a ton of effort and work @Suswave ! One of the best and most unique STs we’ve ever had by a long shot.

Also I got into the fall semester in P3R and have been jamming out to this track all evening, so I need to share it:

@Irene

Just listening to the podcast, glad you've been enjoying roguelites recently. For newcomers I reckon Cult of the Lamb is another great option. Tbh anyone can enjoy it, but it's definitely less punishing than something like Binding of Isaac.

Thanks for the tip. I’ve downloaded Dead Cells to dip my toes in, seems cool so far.

Would you recommend Hades?

Thank you so much for this wild ride!

At first I wasn't really into the game but over time I got really invested and had a great time playing and shitposting with the others (shoutouts to especially meatbag and Volcanic for making it so fun).

Definitely a ST for the ages 😀

@Suswave

While I didn’t participate in the game myself, I have admiration for how you put this whole fantastical, mad and mystifying thing together and created something truly remarkable. I’m sure me and many others will look back on this thread with fondness!

With the Switch 2 delayed to 2025 and beyond I have nothing left but susvave posts, danny devito, sam lake dancing, aurc, chocolate supra, bizarro lantern ghost, ire...wait I have a lot delay it more

Thank you @Suswave for organizing this game. I was pretty lost most of the time due to having to dip in and out of the thread for days at a time but it was amazing to see some people get seriously into it.

I hope you get some rest because it's pretty clear you put a ton of time and energy into this.

This Friday March, Switch 2 where?
I'm sorry but your Switch 2 is in another month. Maybe year even.

This was fun. I was very confused a lot of the time
Ditto. Like I still have no idea which yeah!s were used for the calculation on events.

Dune: Part Two is immaculate. Peak cinema, baby. If you are even the slightest bit interested, go see it in IMAX or on the biggest screen you can find.

(I say this as someone who liked, but did not love, Part One)

Dune: Part Two is immaculate. Peak cinema, baby. If you are even the slightest bit interested, go see it in IMAX or on the biggest screen you can find.

(I say this as someone who liked, but did not love, Part One)
Oh, man, I loved Part One so much I went ahead and read the original six books.

my thread will be painfully normal

half of you will be relieved and the other half gravely disappointed
idk I think we could all use a normal thread reset

something like this is fun as a special, limited-time-only thing — I think a constant barrage of this would be punishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom