• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST28 January 2024| This Is Our Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Influencers on social media pushing dumb medical advice like "natural birth control" while selling stupid stuff like herbs and vitamin pills are the worst.

True but people were always complaining about them never going on sale (I went with the physical on this) so decided was worth posting. I think $40 is probably the sweet spot here but unlikely to reach that.
Yeah I'm in sort of a weird spot here where I really appreciate the work they put into this specific release but $75usd is a tough pill to swallow for a bundle of old games, and $15 off is barely helpful.

But I did still send the link to a friend of mine who has made the vow to go through every FF game and has so far been making do with the DS and iOS versions, so thanks. 😅 I've been begging him to do himself a favor and switch to the Pixel Remasters but he hasn't budged yet.

Are there any relatively ethical tea companies you could recommend that are easily purchasable online? That brand is the only one that was available at my grocery so I just snagged a few but I'm more than happy to go another route.

I’d say “try juice” but that’s a whole other bucket of trouble

ZvNzd0y.jpeg

Real Answer: that’s an extremely difficult question!

Many “smaller” brands are subject to less scrutiny, so might be doing really fucked up shit. It’s much harder to track them, so what sounds “ethical” might be good marketing and minimal oversight.

Who To Avoid:
  • Celestial Seasonings — dedicated foundation to publish and spread alien eugenics gospel
  • Tetley / Teapigs / Good Earth — owned by weapons manufacturer, owns one of the most egregious tea plantations in India
  • Twinings / Jacksons of Piccadilly — so many affronts to decency that the parent company’s “Ethiscore” — an imperfect metric, but worth examining — is 0.5 out of 20
Tea also appears to have increasing heavy metal content over time, due to corporate practices / pesticides / human influence on soil.

Granted, most people who talk about that veer wildly into the ecofascist hippie shit and decry “toxic teas” while not analyzing what horrors and labor abuses their alternatives / supplement dust / etc are wrought from… so you have to parse a lot of bullshit if you want to have any half-usable information down that path. There’s no neat and tidy here.

So… I can’t make a good recommendation!

We usually tend to drink Tazo, which was formerly owned by Starbucks and is now in the Unilever megaconglomerate. Both have committed plenty of horrors, and I sure as shit don’t trust them.

Tazo themselves have been aiming for some very “we’re ethical! we’re ethical!” PR lately, but… yeah fuckin’ right

Influencers on social media pushing dumb medical advice like "natural birth control" while selling stupid stuff like herbs and vitamin pills are the worst.
influencing is the new get rich quick scheme and that’s why it takes dna from all the old get rich quick schemes

multilevel marketing crawling out of suburban living rooms and business groups! out of the top-down tech bro decrees! into the hands of YOU, internet generations, to lay waste to reason for the Amways of the world!

influencing is the new get rich quick scheme and that’s why it takes dna from all the old get rich quick schemes

multilevel marketing crawling out of suburban living rooms and business groups! out of the top-down tech bro decrees! into the hands of YOU, internet generations, to lay waste to reason for the Amways of the world!
I'm always surprised how much influence these people actually have. I named birth control because unexpected teenage pregnancies are on the rise in my country, and experts think influencers have a hand in it, but it goes for all schemes where the only people making a profit is the influencers.

And I truly believe when it comes to medical advice they can actually be harmful.

if you still think I’m joking, the formative dude literally believes illness is caused by “evil,” heads a foundation solely dedicated to publishing a vile white supremacist cult eugenics handbook “written by aliens,” and named the tea after concepts in the book.
Man, and I just thought this was gonna be a shitpost about the Sleepytime Bear being an absolute deadbeat of a dad featuring weaponized incompetence letting his bear spouse handle getting the kids to bed all on their own.

ST-ROOM.png

But uhh...yeah what the fuck did I just read about.

In the waning hours of January, let's all enjoy a nice Mario music medley played by an orchestra of computer floppy drives:

I thought I was supergamer ultraexpert Dark Souls legend

So Taurus Demon Y you kick my ass even though I have a solid strategy 😭😭😭

I thought I was supergamer ultraexpert Dark Souls legend

So Taurus Demon Y you kick my ass even though I have a solid strategy 😭😭😭
Taurus Demon just wants to be friends. That's why if you climb up onto the tower he jumps up there after you to say hello.

Holy shit I'm so over streaming services. I was thinking about rewatching one of my favorite movies tonight (A Silent Voice), only to learn it's been removed from every streaming service it used to be on and the only place you can rent it is YouTube. I'll still buy it but fuck this.

I'm always surprised how much influence these people actually have. I named birth control because unexpected teenage pregnancies are on the rise in my country, and experts think influencers have a hand in it, but it goes for all schemes where the only people making a profit is the influencers.

And I truly believe when it comes to medical advice they can actually be harmful.
Yeah, they can, and that’s true of talking to people or reading books. It’s in everything. It’s just more of a “desirable career” now.

I had a VERY LONG rant prepared that traced the roots of the problem, spoke to the resilience and hazards of Gen Z, and the damaging wave of self-infantilizing materialism seared into millennials at 9/11

Tracing how the worst of conservative values have distilled forward, both with the nightmare right and in the purported liberals of the west — and how the Reagan eighties parent wave, multiplied by the panopticon of smartphone tracking, did these kids fuckin’ dirty

and how multi-level marketing has always banked on selling the individual on themselves — a lane that looks like meaningful influence in a world gone to hell that you can’t budge

camouflaged as “counter-cultural” to the bleak wasteland of commodity — while banking on that evangelism to sell sell sell

and though some of this is just forwarding bad advice, not products — it’s usually coming the same way, in sponsorships or community

so that’s, uh, the very short version

but my big takeaway — specifically about MLM via influencers — is this:

the companies responsible want you to hate the influencers. doing so benefits the brand. always follow the money. know who your enemies are.

what the fuck do I mean by this?

if they sell the product / idea — the company profits

if they piss you off, and you denounce them, it reinforces the “outsider evangelist” strategy — they’re special, not everyone’s gonna like what they have to say, which is why it’s imperative to say it more

that’s why they’ve always preyed on suburban housewives and gym bros — would your friends betray you to your face? people will want to help you out. if you confront them, your own tie to your community is at risk. that’s why it’s so vile.

people are shittier on the internet, but the inverse of that is scale. so frustration with that influencer — stated — can embolden fans and ultimately the companies leveraging them

the second people like that have a crisis of faith or want to re-evaluate, it’s easy as hell for a company to reposition itself. either in a “yes of course it’s good to ask questions, here’s counterpoint directly from us” or a trickier denouncement

and like… even if they are literally shilling the product, it doesn’t make them shills. Some part of them really wants to believe it — if there’s an easy answer, a solution, people want that. companies love selling people’s own ideas back to them.

like y’all want COVID to be over, lmao, and it’s not, but if enough people say it is and they destroy the framework for easy, usable data… y’all want to believe it.

this is getting LONG again, but I guess my point is that if you want to take these things down, you have to constantly dig at the roots.

it is profitable and calculated that you’ll go after the people in between.

and I love holding grudges, but a lot of these influencers are human, and still young. There’s still some sliver of hope for them.

there are absolutely “get held accountable” thresholds — and get held accountable actions. but always know what war you’re waging. you could be poised to dunk on some nineteen-year-old getting enough cash per month to pay for half their adderall scrip — and that dunk could make Multimillionaire Organic Wonder Powder Corp a quick $50,000 bonus

hey, are any of you good with computers? I’ve saved my February ST draft offline but it keeps setting the datestamp to 2074-02-01

hey, are any of you good with computers? I’ve saved my February ST draft offline but it keeps setting the datestamp to 2074-02-01
.........is this a Young Neil situation?

I accidentally clicked on the threadmark bar, and it prompted a seemingly random assortment of threadmarks I've made over the last 2 years and together, they read like a shitpost.

Screenshot-2024-01-31-224458.png
Fantastic 🤣

You've clearly time-travelled.

...is Metroid Prime 4 finally out?
A second development update on the status of Metroid Prime 4 was just announced on January 25th, 2074. 🥲

I accidentally clicked on the threadmark bar, and it prompted a seemingly random assortment of threadmarks I've made over the last 2 years and together, they read like a shitpost.

Reads like dril-lite

they should make a Kentucky Route Zero about us

...huh? You just posted in this thread three minutes before you sent that message. You okay, Sus?

Let's check your vision, just to be safe. How many fingers is Mario holding up?

480px-Mario_Victory_Pose_Artwork_-_Super_Mario_64.png
shit, outside and now this? gotta get those glasses back…

...huh? You just posted in this thread three minutes before you sent that message. You okay, Sus?
should... should I be worried about this?

should y'all be worried about this??

2xypAlp.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom