• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST28 January 2024| This Is Our Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, let's talk dividing fractions.

The (somewhat broken) United States educational system (which I am a somewhat broken part of) teaches kids to multiply by the reciprocal. Every school I have been to has a different phrase to memorize this process. My current school calls it "Copy Dot Flip", which I think sounds stupid. I like "Keep Change Flip", if I have to use a cute acronym (which I don't like to do!).

That's all. Anyone have another phrase? What did your school use? How much fun is dividing fractions?
what the fuck are these phrases

look “multiply by the reciprocal” is easy to say and straightforward in meaning

but if we’re playing these games, “copy dot flip” makes way more sense than “keep change flip”

i think

what the hell are y’all doing

The (somewhat broken) United States educational system (which I am a somewhat broken part of) teaches kids to multiply by the reciprocal. Every school I have been to has a different phrase to memorize this process. My current school calls it "Copy Dot Flip", which I think sounds stupid. I like "Keep Change Flip", if I have to use a cute acronym (which I don't like to do!).

That's all. Anyone have another phrase? What did your school use? How much fun is dividing fractions?
Keep Flip Change

KEEP the first fraction the same
FLIP the second fraction over
CHANGE the divide to a times

KFC

Please Execute My Dear Aunt Sally
tumblr_nzpuvfxWoT1sxudx7o1_1280.png

You missed Christmas in Japan by like a month

Keep Flip Change

KEEP the first fraction the same
FLIP the second fraction over
CHANGE the divide to a times

KFC
Keep Change Flip is the same, just ordered sequentially. I prefer it! There's also a terrible rap along with it.

I actually had someone online argue with me that PEMDAS isn't how you solve math equations. I forget what their stance was exactly but they said PEMDAS made it seem like we're making up rules. I wanna say it was left to right with no order of operations but it was probably something else that was nonsensical. God I wish I remembered what his stupid argument was.

I always just heard it as “multiply by the inverse”.

But while knowing how the basics work is important for getting into higher math, the real answer is that no one ever divides fractions and you use a damn calculator. Math is way more fun once you get to the stuff that a calculator doesn’t help with, so no one cares if you use one anymore.

Found this on Twitter and figured this would be helpful to someone. And it's not AI, either.

Haven't been on here for a few days, I've been busy catching up on the hardware thread. Things have been same old same old on my end. Watched the first 4 episodes of Getter Robo Armageddon and I'm loving it so far! It feels like I'm thrust into the middle of the story, but I got the gist of everything. I'll probably read the manga when I'm finished, since that's apparently the best starting point for the series.

You miss it???? The world is a vast place.......
I do! I actually do some math tutoring on the side, mostly for family. There was a time I considered trying to get into teaching engineering classes, but most of those require several years work experience as a PE anyway

I actually had someone online argue with me that PEMDAS isn't how you solve math equations. I forget what their stance was exactly but they said PEMDAS made it seem like we're making up rules. I wanna say it was left to right with no order of operations but it was probably something else that was nonsensical. God I wish I remembered what his stupid argument was.
This reminds me of when I ended up in pre-algebra in college (community college, I tested into pre-algebra because I didn't take any math my senior year of highschool and just forgot everything apparently). Someone fucked up the Pythagorean theorem (moved the value for the hypotenuse to one of the other sides of the triangle) and no matter how I tried to explain the fuck up, no one understood what I meant.
So Persona 5 Tactics for $19.99 yay or nay?
I'd say so, yeah. I haven't played much myself but I'm really enjoying it, $20 seems like a steal.

I hate math!
Math is fun! Though I’m rusty with anything that isn’t basic arithmetic/algebra. Puts into perspective how much you forget when you’re not actively using certain skills.

My strained hand is feeling much better after a days rest
Probably better to let it rest for a couple more. Stick to slower-paced games for the meantime. Or read a book.

I don’t know what this means exactly (I think they are done?), but we finally have some update on Tokyo RPG Factory which has been brought up in General Discussion a few times recently.

welp

Guess that's consistent with their pledge for focus on bigger games.

Sucks to see but sucks even more that I'm not surprised. Glad I got all three in physical form for the future nostalgia of it. That was a really happy chapter in gaming for me.

I don’t know what this means exactly (I think they are done?), but we finally have some update on Tokyo RPG Factory which has been brought up in General Discussion a few times recently.

I suppose this is better than a wholesale liquidation, which could have been in the cards. With the new square emphasis on fewer games to make greater profit, I feel this will just hasten the death of their AA tier RPGs.

hey Persona 5 Tactica isn't the only game on sale for $20 👀

If anyone is still on the fence about Sonic Superstars I think this is a pretty good price for it (and much closer to what it shoulda launched at but still)

thanks to @VolcanicDynamo for sharing this one!
Unfortunately for Sega (but fortunately for us), the only thing faster than Sonic is the speed at which Sonic Superstars has dropped in price!

Unfortunately for Sega (but fortunately for us), the only thing faster than Sonic is the speed at which Sonic Superstars has dropped in price!
Also surprisingly fast is how quickly it sold out on Amazon. That initial tweet you shared in the other thread is now almost totally obsolete in less than 12 hours, Best Buy is all that's left of it.

I suppose this is better than a wholesale liquidation, which could have been in the cards. With the new square emphasis on fewer games to make greater profit, I feel this will just hasten the death of their AA tier RPGs.
It's almost like a cycle or something. during the 2010s I was lamenting Square's focus on AAA (both in budget and style) games and wished they'd go for more classic style games once in a while. Then there was that statement where the CEO said he realized older Square fans were feeling underserved and pledged that the company would start leveraging older IPs and classic game styles, which started slow with like the Mana remakes but eventually went full-steam-ahead this gen with Square's absolutely killer lineup of remasters, remakes, and AA-tier RPGs (and goddamn Team Asano (which may fall under AA anyway)). And I've been absolutely thrilled, but now if they go back to focusing on stuff like FFXVI and VII-R and the smaller stuff kinda goes away, I'll be right back where I was in the 2010s going "man I wish Square would go back to the old days" 🤣

But on the bright side, it looks like Sega is gearing up to do the same thing over the next few years that Square has been doing, so I'll at least have some oldschool comebacks to look forward to. Just waiting for them to mention Skies of Arcadia. Aaaaaaaaany day now.

Also for the love of god Square do something with Chrono Trigger before yall completely pull the plug and go full-GoT on everything. I've been hoping for it ever since the CEO statement I just mentioned 😅

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom