• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion | ST24 September 2023 | Barely Able Will Star as the Main Poster in a Brand New ST (temp.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK

I'm finally gonna do it. I've been in a major gaming rut recently and I think that, instead of trying to force myself into playing more Baldur's Gate 3, Starfield, or any other massive brand new 100+ hour RPG...

...I'm gonna play through Final Fantasy VII. With Rebirth coming out, and it seemingly being as reliant - if not more - on knowledge of the pre-existing games as the first one, I figured I might as well.

Anything I should consider when going in? Gonna be playing on Switch ofc.

Just look up a guide on how to get Yuffie and Vincent so you don't miss them. They're secret characters so it's possible to miss them.

New hardware is suddenly a lot more exciting to me than it has been in the past few years.

OK

I'm finally gonna do it. I've been in a major gaming rut recently and I think that, instead of trying to force myself into playing more Baldur's Gate 3, Starfield, or any other massive brand new 100+ hour RPG...

...I'm gonna play through Final Fantasy VII. With Rebirth coming out, and it seemingly being as reliant - if not more - on knowledge of the pre-existing games as the first one, I figured I might as well.

My advice may be considered bad advice because it locks you out of the best summon, but I would avoid the time sink that is Chocobo breeding unless you really wanna stretch that playtime.

I think the statements are funny, as it’s pure fear. They just can’t handle the fact that Nintendo really appeals to people and can’t think “oh well there are other people who like our stuff too”.

I think Greenberg is concerned that if they were to Switch as a console, just like the Xbox is, then people will start expecting Xbox games to appear on the Switch or Playstation. By framing it as a handheld, they can frame it as Microsoft bringing smaller titles to the handheld market rather than porting over first party games to competing consoles.

Only if I can admit that I think I've collectively put maybe 10 hours into the franchise and still keep buying them with intent of "some day I'll get around to these"

I may have a problem
That sounds like me with Assassin's Creed. The one I got the furthest in was Syndicate, but even still, I didn't beat it even though I enjoyed my time in it.

Has anyone from Nintendo spoken with that level of conceit either publicly or privately (leaked)? Maybe it's just been a while, but it seems like there's some new outrageous statement from some arse from Sony or xbox like once a month

I think the statements are funny, as it’s pure fear. They just can’t handle the fact that Nintendo really appeals to people and can’t think “oh well there are other people who like our stuff too”.
Neither side can admit Switch is a console because it would contradict their own arguments.

If Microsoft accept Switch is a console, then a series of their arguments about Sony's massive market share and impossible stranglehold on the market (including Japan, where they omit Nintendo from marketshare calculations to paint Sony as having a monopoly) become completely invalid. It becomes more obvious that Microsoft are where they are because of strategic errors and a failure to invest in their own software pipeline, and that it's perfectly possible to compete with Sony globally. Nintendo and Switch especially also demonstrate that the right product can recover marketshare and sales momentum despite previous errors.

If Sony admit Switch is a console, their arguments about Activision and especially Call of Duty fall apart. Sony claimed, hyperbolically, that losing access to Call of Duty would render them non-competitive and be a serious blow to their business because a console cannot succeed without it. Switch, the 3rd best selling system yet and on track to push comparable numbers to PS2 and DS, has done so without a single Call of Duty title, blowing holes in one of Sony's arguments.

Leaving Nintendo out of the equation suited both sides for different reasons. The fact some regulators, analysts and observers accepted this false logic is baffling.

There's literally nothing to play
R2DEc5M.png

I find it kind of weird how some gamers describe themselves at being part of a console manufacturers ecosystem. It makes sense for people working at those companies to describe consumers of their products that way but it's I find it very strange when people online say they are part of "Microsoft's ecosystem" or "switching from Microsoft's to Sony's ecosystems".

I find it kind of weird how some gamers describe themselves at being part of a console manufacturers ecosystem. It makes sense for people working at those companies to describe consumers of their products that way but it's I find it very strange when people online say they are part of "Microsoft's ecosystem" or "switching from Microsoft's to Sony's ecosystems".
I see it largely as an outgrowth of "Apple ecosystem" and "Google/Android ecosystem" where you have multiple devices (ie. phones, tablets, wearables, etc.) all tightly integrated through the manufacturer's services, but most importantly shared software via their respective app stores. And in plenty of cases, especially with Apple, you're sort of rewarded for going "all in" with the whole product line.

Not sure if it's really applicable to console systems (currently), but I can certainly see where and why it's entered into the lexicon. The closest I can think of is XBox's backwards compatibility, or cross-buy for PS3/PSP or Wii U/3DS when that could be done.

LRG continues to baffle me lately. Like those should've been there Day 1 although I'm guessing they needed to cut a deal with Sega for them first. But still!

Oh and apologies for the double post, but while I was looking for a place to eat, I came across this little store;

DWlsgQ5.jpg

CwWDYsF.jpg

VaBmZxh.jpg

gpxZAz3.jpg

4R9NLEX.jpg

I got myself a boxed copy of FF VI, in great shape for just € 12…
Oh my gosh, I am so jealous of those prices. The US retro game market is so expensive in comparison!

Whoops, it's iOS/iPadOS 17 release day.

MacOS has to wait until next week, apparently. Boo!

Oh and apologies for the double post, but while I was looking for a place to eat, I came across this little store;

DWlsgQ5.jpg

CwWDYsF.jpg

VaBmZxh.jpg

gpxZAz3.jpg

4R9NLEX.jpg

I got myself a boxed copy of FF VI, in great shape for just € 12…
Could you DM me the name of the store? I'll save it on my list of places to go to.

Pixel 6a -- very much well functioning still, too. :'D
Hmm, there are plenty of reasons not to upgrade. You still have a pretty new phone, and you like you said, it's still functioning well. But honestly, I would say the biggest reason not to is that switching from Android to iOS (or vice versa) is just... such a headache these days. I would really not recommend unless you're really unhappy with your current OS

Hmm, there are plenty of reasons not to upgrade. You still have a pretty new phone, and you like you said, it's still functioning well. But honestly, I would say the biggest reason not to is that switching from Android to iOS (or vice versa) is just... such a headache these days. I would really not recommend unless you're really unhappy with your current OS
I'm not super in love with Android anymore, though it definitely could be worse. I'm also not too invested in the whole ecosystem, so switching would actually be pretty easy for me.
The biggest con actually is that I dislike buying a new phone just for the sake of doing so, without any strong reason or incentive other than being a bit fed up with Android. I could easily use my 6a for another few years and still switch over then, and I'd be fine. Which probably is why I haven't pulled the trigger on the iPhone just yet. Deep down I know it's not necessary (but it would be nice to have).

Remember when the Castlevania characters were announced for Smash and Konami immediately responded by announcing the Symphony of the Night port was PS4 exclusive.

Remember when the Castlevania characters were announced for Smash and Konami immediately responded by announcing the Symphony of the Night port was PS4 exclusive.
Pretty sure that Castlevania Symphony/Rondo package is just the PSP game emulated, and as-such Sony was able to (perhaps by supplying the emulator) lock up the exclusivity.

I made a thread about this over in The Roost but

Does anyone have any fun ideas for something to do with an old but still-capable iPad? I have a better iPad Air 5 that I use daily but I found a base-model iPad 6th Gen in my old hardware box and it still works just fine…

Does anyone else go through phases between playing a lot of video games and then stopping? I'm slowly getting back into it again with summer winding down, I'm feeling really optimistic about the next few titles I want to play and getting back into a routine of things.

I had a lot going on between work, getting married and going on a trip that it finally feels nice relaxing again.

So I'll probably play both before the end of the year anyways but I'll ask Fami just to see what the consensus is: should I play FF7Remake or Yakuza 0? Both would be on PS5. Both I spent a few hours in and didn't beat them.

With FF I'd be restarting the game, with Yakuza I'd be continuing a save. Just curious what y'all think / what game you prefer.

So I'll probably play both before the end of the year anyways but I'll ask Fami just to see what the consensus is: should I play FF7Remake or Yakuza 0? Both would be on PS5. Both I spent a few hours in and didn't beat them.

With FF I'd be restarting the game, with Yakuza I'd be continuing a save. Just curious what y'all think / what game you prefer.
Do you plan on playing Rebirth? Because I would aim to play Remake before the release of Rebirth in february.

OK

There’s missable ultimate weapons in this game. If you want to not miss them, I would say look them up or ask for info on them.

Some enemies have good equipment to steal. Early in game stuff.

Yuffie and Vincent are secret characters. I would look them up, they’re easy to miss. Especially Vincent.

Save often.

(i’m secretly hopeful @Skittzo covers the Jorts theme and / or one of the battle themes in the Mican style if there’s time left in the eternal chaos! but also very much okay if that doesn’t happen)
I think we need to have a chat about what the word "secretly" means

Oh damn that's not something I've considered but I will now consider it.
See?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom