• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion | ST24 September 2023 | Barely Able Will Star as the Main Poster in a Brand New ST (temp.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For real, shows what he can do with an actual decent script, instead of whatever it was George was doing. Not to knock on the Prequels coz I love them lots, awesome story, settings, fights, music but man the script was definitely something.
Also gimme more force realm stuff! It was so anime.
I like hayden as anakin but the writing was really weak this episode. And it's been week throughout the whole season. Sigh.

On-non SW related issues: I finished gunbrella over the weekend. It's a lot of fun. The story is pretty... eh... cliché I guess but I like the characters, it's funny, the platforming is good, and I love games that do fun things with the double jump mechanic (regular double jump: boring, unimaginative, tame. Dashing double jump: fun, requires skill, blends well with the level design) even if the fun thing is basically copying Celeste.

My main issue with the game is that none of the ammo that you pick up is worth it over the regular shotgun ammo. It's either weak, or not enough ammo, or slower, or whatever.

I'm... I'm going to need to know exactly where this is
Ojamakan in Kobe.

And the stuff they have is awesome. They had a boxed Ace Attorney 2 for GBA, lots of Super Nintendo games, Famicom, some PlayStation stuff, Wonderswan, Gameboy etc.

I even spotted Megami Tensei on SNES.

Finished Future Redeemed.

What the fuck do I do now

Hope and wish Switch 2 is releasing March 2024 because it would mean the next Xenoblade game is coming sooner rather than later.

(Although i hope it starts a new "universe", or returns to the X universe.)

I like hayden as anakin but the writing was really weak this episode. And it's been week throughout the whole season. Sigh.
What about the writing has been weak in your opinion? I’m comparing this to Obi-Wan which was poor overall. I’ve quite enjoyed the storytelling and script, no weird super cringe that I’ve spotted so far. There’s a fun plot, a great villain in Baylan who’s motivations don’t seem to be centred on pure revenge and anger, amazing sabre fights that put everything in the sequels to shame, the fan-service is done just right, not over baked, they’ve mentioned the wider galaxy and the effect the empire/new republic has on people’s livelihood/motivations, there’s much more about the force than just “hey, um, yeah, Midiclorians” (not sure what the place Anakin and Ahsoka meet up at is called but that was AWESOME).

Ahsoka is much more stoic and less energetic than she was in the animated series, but the flashbacks really hammered the point home that she was literally a child when the Clone Wars started, not to mention her master she loved literally became the biggest mass murderer the galaxy had ever seen, clearly she’s been through the ringer. The Sabine and Shin rivalry makes sense, both young apprentices who are unseasoned. Huyang is amazing, Chopper is amazing. Now that I think about it, the turning back and smiling thing that the characters do is kinda cringe, but it’s so minor in comparison to everything else the show does right.

That’s good to hear, shotgun is my favorite type of gun anyway haha

Same here, but it just feels like wasted potential. They could've just made variations of the shotgun or something, or make enemies that you can only kill with a certain weapon, or whatever, but mostly it's just not worth it
there is one type of enemy that you have to kill with special bullets, and it's fun to swap around between regular/special, so more of that maybe?

What about the writing has been weak in your opinion? I’m comparing this to Obi-Wan which was poor overall. I’ve quite enjoyed the storytelling and script, no weird super cringe that I’ve spotted so far. There’s a fun plot, a great villain in Baylan who’s motivations don’t seem to be centred on pure revenge and anger, amazing sabre fights that put everything in the sequels to shame, the fan-service is done just right, not over baked, they’ve mentioned the wider galaxy and the effect the empire/new republic has on people’s livelihood/motivations, there’s much more about the force than just “hey, um, yeah, Midiclorians” (not sure what the place Anakin and Ahsoka meet up at is called but that was AWESOME).

Ahsoka is much more stoic and less energetic than she was in the animated series, but the flashbacks really hammered the point home that she was literally a child when the Clone Wars started, not to mention her master she loved literally became the biggest mass murderer the galaxy had ever seen, clearly she’s been through the ringer. The Sabine and Shin rivalry makes sense, both young apprentices who are unseasoned. Huyang is amazing, Chopper is amazing. Now that I think about it, the turning back and smiling thing that the characters do is kinda cringe, but it’s so minor in comparison to everything else the show does right.

The writing is regular Star-Wars: as in, it's delivered flat and it's not very imaginative. I'm glad they separated Sabine and Ahsoka because they didn't work together, though maybe it's just me. I think the lightsaber fights feel... dull, and this has been consistent over the series. I do agree that it's good that the wider galaxy exists and it isn't just 20 very important people, but that was done much better in Andor (which, unlike Ahsoka, was a series that had a story it wanted to tell).

I didn't really like the force plane that Ahsoka is in but I did like how Ahsoka came out of it: With a clear mind, and with goals and motivation. It's a shame that it's taken us five full episodes to get here. The pacing has been terrible, and now we have 3 episodes to solve the plot. Overall, I can't help but feel like this is -as with most Filoni-led projects- basically a trailer that spans eight episodes of television. It'll lead us to Ezra, then show Thrawn briefly and then DUN DUN DUN tune in next year for more tidbits of plot that you may like in Mando season 4, or Boba season 2. And then when we actually get the Thrawn series, it'll be a trailer for whatever he wants next. I'm not against sequels, nor am I against cliffhangers but it's exhausting.

Last edited:
Ojamakan in Kobe.

And the stuff they have is awesome. They had a boxed Ace Attorney 2 for GBA, lots of Super Nintendo games, Famicom, some PlayStation stuff, Wonderswan, Gameboy etc.

I even spotted Megami Tensei on SNES
Thank you! Can't believe I didn't think to look for somewhere like that when I was there, too busy posing in front of Gigantor I guess. Need me a boxed Super Metroid.

Yes it’s that one. Usually when I try to scan the first QR code, my iPhone is unable to connect to the Switch’s wifi.
I had the same issue in recent months. Try manually entering the network password each time you try to connect. Before, I did not need to do this, but now it seems like the password is changing every time or the wrong one is being detected/saved on my phone. I have an Android, but hopefully this same fix works for you on iPhone.

With this news, all the excitement we had about the Matrix Awakens demo and about DLSS 3.X has died?

Only if your reading comprehension mistook "comparable" visuals from one tech demo, using tools like DLSS and dedicated RT cores to achieve this on a much raw power weaker device as "performance like PS5/XSX".

^^

It is finally TGS week! Especially excited for Capcom's showcase, but I have a feeling it is going to be a good one in general.

It is finally TGS week! Especially excited for Capcom's showcase, but I have a feeling it is going to be a good one in general.

Well, most Capcom-informed people said to not expect more in that showcase than Capcom has already announced.
Seems the company is not a fan of "surprises" in those streams.

So if you're waiting for the next MonHun, you might have to look at TGAs.

But i welcome more Dragons Dogma 2.

Gunbrella is out and didn't know about it.

I can't help but feel someone dropped the ball with the marketing here. Or maybe I just wasn't paying attention. I was actually hoping for an update on the game in some Nintendo Direct, but it has been out for a week.

Well, most Capcom-informed people said to not expect more in that showcase than Capcom has already announced.
Seems the company is not a fan of "surprises" in those streams.

So if you're waiting for the next MonHun, you might have to look at TGAs.

But i welcome more Dragons Dogma 2.
Yeah, Dragon's Dogma 2 alone is enough for me to make me really excited for their stream.

Only if your reading comprehension mistook "comparable" visuals from one tech demo, using tools like DLSS and dedicated RT cores to achieve this on a much raw power weaker device as "performance like PS5/XSX".

^^
Ah the point at which boats of hope are dashed upon the rocks of reality. Bring on the salt!

Hey quick question, hopes anyone here can answer me. I've got two vouchers and intend to use one of them on SMRPG, but I have to change my region in October for the NSO renewal. Does this region change affect any pre orders or unused vouchers?

That's a beautiful way to say "Them people can't read".
I mean I find it utterly fascinating the current state of modern consoles where everything is internally rendered at a resolution somewhere between a Wii and a 360 but then upscaled to 1080p or 4K, and people think this is acceptable.

But yeah, thinking you could cram a PS5 into a portable form factor without it scorching your hands while not costing an internal organ is being hopped up on some serious goofballs.

With this news, all the excitement we had about the Matrix Awakens demo and about DLSS 3.X has died?

If I understand right, raw horsepower has nothing to do with the system be able to do DLSS magic and upscale stuff up to 4K. So the specs could be closer to PS4/Xbox One and still do the trick with the NVidia chips.

I mean I find it utterly fascinating the current state of modern consoles where everything is internally rendered at a resolution somewhere between a Wii and a 360 but then upscaled to 1080p or 4K, and people think this is acceptable.

But yeah, thinking you could cram a PS5 into a portable form factor without it scorching your hands while not costing an internal organ is being hopped up on some serious goofballs.

Given games get bigger and bigger and the jumps for resolution and framerate are exponentially in their cost ... you better get used to this.

Since i don't see Sony and MS ditching AMD as their SoC provider for the PS6 and Xbox Whateverthecallit, you can bet money that these two are basically constantly on AMD's mind to deliver a tool that works like the DLSS suite from nVidia.

FSR is good, but DLSS still runs circles around it.

If I understand right, raw horsepower has nothing to do with the system be able to do DLSS magic and upscale stuff up to 4K. So the specs could be closer to PS4/Xbox One and still do the trick with the NVidia chips.

Remember how Switch (and a lot of other former Nintendo consoles) "punch above it's weight" so many times?

DLSS is basically the cheatcode to that even more, better and effective.

Still, even if we're talking similar raw performance to PS4 (Pro in docked) for example, you should always keep in mind Switch 2 will have:

1) Significantly more RAM
2) A much, muuuuuuch better CPU
3) Likely more things i can't think about right now

That also helps in "punching above the weight".

Given games get bigger and bigger and the jumps for resolution and framerate are exponentially in their cost ... you better get used to this.
I just think it’s funny that in order to get games to render at 4K currently the solution is to render at sub-HD resolution and then upscale.

I honestly think Nintendo has been on the right path with slow-rolling on HD and 4K content since the Wii, as much as it drives people nuts. The hedonism hardware treadmill sucks, and the sooner people can be accept that not everything has to be bleeding edge the better off this hobby will be.

1) Significantly more RAM
2) A much, muuuuuuch better CPU
3) Likely more things i can't think about right now
Hopefully faster and more internal storage than the base OG model

I had the same issue in recent months. Try manually entering the network password each time you try to connect. Before, I did not need to do this, but now it seems like the password is changing every time or the wrong one is being detected/saved on my phone. I have an Android, but hopefully this same fix works for you on iPhone.
Unfortunately I’ve tried this and it still doesn’t work lol.

Finished Future Redeemed.

What the fuck do I do now

7zjokw.jpg

Unfortunately I’ve tried this and it still doesn’t work lol.
Hmm. The only other thing I have to do that's annoying is I have to also turn off my mobile data for it to properly work, but I think that's more a problem for the actual downloading step. I guess I'd also check connection security type autocompleting on my phone to make sure my phone isn't messing that up. Otherwise, I'm out of tips, sorry. I hope you find a solution!

VP of Xbox marketing doesn't think Switch is a console and doesn't seem to a be a fan of games like Ori being on the system.

That's from 2019.

I think by now, Phil took him aside and gave him a short explanation why Switch is definitely a gaming console.

I bet Phil started with "Aaron ... i can't even watch Netflix on it ... if it wasn't a game console, it would be shit."

Is this a good time to admit that I am yet to play Xenoblade 3?
I’m actually waiting for the Super Switch Advance Pro to play the entire series because for some reason I can’t tolerate the blurriness plus whatever filter they use to try to sharpen the image and I’m hoping they get patched for it.

I’m actually waiting for the Super Switch Advance Pro to play the entire series because for some reason I can’t tolerate the blurriness plus whatever filter they use to try to sharpen the image and I’m hoping they het patched for it.
I simply burned out on Xenoblade after hundreds of hours of 2, Torna, 1, and Future Connected, all in the span of... three years?

By the time 3 came out, I needed a break. Badly.

VP of Xbox marketing doesn't think Switch is a console and doesn't seem to a be a fan of games like Ori being on the system.

Has anyone from Nintendo spoken with that level of conceit either publicly or privately (leaked)? Maybe it's just been a while, but it seems like there's some new outrageous statement from some arse from Sony or xbox like once a month

Oh man I’m so happy about this

1ga7wVt.jpg

KMiW2fS.jpg

mErK5Xl.jpg

Coolest find together with Mother 3 in regards to games. Well I also got a copy of Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land.

If anyone recalls the "the game programming flex of all time" tweet, In regards to how utterly mindblowing the TotK physics engine and simulation is, (It was the shrine that has you glue a bridge with some wheels and then hit the wheels so they drag the bridge forward) some people had a go at this person.

Screenshot-2023-09-18-145752.png

However, you can sort of throw this together in any game engine, maybe not in minutes, but you can still create some rectangles, attach them with hinge joints and have a transform game object propel the thing forward.

The thing is, you kind of have to watch as the thing becomes the jankiest and most miserable pile of rectangles you've ever seen.

Last edited:
Mine hasn't worked for months, if not a whole year.
In fact it worked exactly once and it still was a pain in the ass that single time.
I use a Android phone if it helps.
Hmm. The only other thing I have to do that's annoying is I have to also turn off my mobile data for it to properly work, but I think that's more a problem for the actual downloading step. I guess I'd also check connection security type autocompleting on my phone to make sure my phone isn't messing that up. Otherwise, I'm out of tips, sorry. I hope you find a solution!
I figured out a workaround. It's really strange. I connected the Switch to my iPhone's hotspot, then initiated the transfer. That worked.

I don't know why but maybe the Switch can't handle different newer frequency bands?

Has anyone from Nintendo spoken with that level of conceit either publicly or privately (leaked)? Maybe it's just been a while, but it seems like there's some new outrageous statement from some arse from Sony or xbox like once a month
I think the statements are funny, as it’s pure fear. They just can’t handle the fact that Nintendo really appeals to people and can’t think “oh well there are other people who like our stuff too”.

They set the bar really high with 13 Sentinels. I hope they'll deliver with this game, because even though the aesthetic of their games is always spot on and really astonishing, the gameplay loop in a lot of their pre-Sentinels titles can be quite boring after a while. Like Odin Sphere for example.
As a fan of Vanillaware I agree that their games definitely get repetitive, which is why I feel that the pick-up-and-play nature of handhelds suit their games best. Playing a chapter or so of Odin Sphere Leifthrasir and Muramasa Rebirth on the Vita and 13 Sentinels on the Switch before going about my daily business was perfect.
Oh god, no developer bits in Directs. That stuff belongs in those game specific showings for those people totally invested in learning as much as they can about the game in question. It really has no place in general showcases, be it Directs or State of Plays.
The Smash videos did it well, I'd say.
I agree, that's why there should be a Treehouse Live after every Direct where they bring in developers from not just Nintendo, but select third-parties to showcase and talk about their games. I would have loved to have seen a Treehouse Live segment with the developers from Vanillaware for example.

I mean those that followed the whole T239 chip and Switch 2 thread already knew that Switch 2 will be similiar to last gen consoles in raw power terms but that DLSS will make Switch 2 games look better than Ps4 games. Because it has a much more modern architecture than Ps4 its miles ahead of it in other important metrics but yes the Teraflops are the same at least.

OK

I'm finally gonna do it. I've been in a major gaming rut recently and I think that, instead of trying to force myself into playing more Baldur's Gate 3, Starfield, or any other massive brand new 100+ hour RPG...

...I'm gonna play through Final Fantasy VII. With Rebirth coming out, and it seemingly being as reliant - if not more - on knowledge of the pre-existing games as the first one, I figured I might as well.

Anything I should consider when going in? Gonna be playing on Switch ofc.

OK

I'm finally gonna do it. I've been in a major gaming rut recently and I think that, instead of trying to force myself into playing more Baldur's Gate 3, Starfield, or any other massive brand new 100+ hour RPG...

...I'm gonna play through Final Fantasy VII. With Rebirth coming out, and it seemingly being as reliant - if not more - on knowledge of the pre-existing games as the first one, I might as well.

Anything I should consider when going in? Also gonna be playing on Switch ofc.
Save often, especially if you increase the game speed. It wasn't too common but there were a few times when I left the the x2 game speed option on and the game would lock up on me. Other then that have fun, I did my playthrough right before the pandemic in '20 and had a great time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom