• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST20 May 2023| Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me every time the British Royal family is brought up

Fu7u51DWwAAlvuo
I'm pretty sure it's anus

The brain worms are demanding Dragon Quest. Luckily Zelda’s Calamity series tends to scratch the same itch. If TotK doesn’t do it, maybe I’ll finally play more of Builders 2 or finally get started on Treasures.

So I think the SMT 30th Anniversary celebration ends today (or ended). It seems they did not announced anything, outside of merch.

I hope this helps people set expectations lol. First Persona now SMT
I wasn't really expecting anything, but there's always a chance of something! So I will always have at least some slim hopes. And this one seemed more possible with the SMT rumors. But there's still all the events happening in June that it could easily be shown at, so no biggie.

So I think the SMT 30th Anniversary celebration ends today (or ended). It seems they did not announced anything, outside of merch.

I hope this helps people set expectations lol. First Persona now SMT

Happy 20th birthday to one of the best GBA games!

shocked_pikachu.gif

I wasn't really expecting anything, but there's always a chance of something! So I will always have at least some slim hopes. And this one seemed more possible with the SMT rumors. But there's still all the events happening in June that it could easily be shown at, so no biggie.
An Atlus anniversary event with no game announcements? I don’t believe it.

Hey, it's Atlus, nothing is out of the question here. Although this probably is :p.
First two SMT games got iOS ports many moons ago but weren’t really supported, and I think the first one may have seen a NA release? Stranger things have happened.

welp
I just bought tickets for Guardians 3, the first MCU movie I genuinely considered just skipping, based purely on the overwhelmingly positive word of mouth, and I swear if Star Lord wears a 3%er shirt under his jacket or something in this I'm gonna go to the nearest neighbor I can find with a Trump flag on their house and fill in the white stripes of the Blue Lives flag sticker on their truck with the other colors of the rainbow.

Absolutely gorgeous out today here and walking around I was thinking “do Nintendo games feel like spring to anyone else?”. Like the general usage of bright primary colors a lot of the time, a general sense of exploration and adventure, a breezy focus on fun, etc.

Like even during the early HD era when everything was turning brown Nintendo I feel largely resisted that trend aside from a couple notable exceptions like Smash Brawl and Twilight Princess (which was darker tonally anyways).

Absolutely gorgeous out today here and walking around I was thinking “do Nintendo games feel like spring to anyone else?”. Like the general usage of bright primary colors a lot of the time, a general sense of exploration and adventure, a breezy focus on fun, etc.

Like even during the early HD era when everything was turning brown Nintendo I feel largely resisted that trend aside from a couple notable exceptions like Smash Brawl and Twilight Princess (which was darker tonally anyways).
Some of them do, yeah, although it's also partially what time of year they released. Mario Sunshine is pure summer, for example, both the vibes and also coming out in July.

The biggest Spring game I can think of is to me personally is Wind Waker. So many bright colors, vibrant locations to explore, amazing atmosphere, and it launched right at the start of spring in 2003, too. So it was the game I was playing most of the season that year.

Credits are rolling for Mario movie, I had a blast! I also liked that they listed the Latam voice actors front and center.

What if a chunk of my ceiling falls on my head and knocks me out for 6 days

MSnap: Where am I?
Doctor: You're finally awake. Your ceiling fell on top of you and have been in a coma.
MSnap: Zelda. Did Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom come out? Can I play it?
Doctor: Tears of the Kingdom? Oh, I remember getting that for my 6th birthday. It was considered the greatest game of all time back then. But you've been asleep for a very long time. There has been 7 brand new 3D Zelda games since then...

First time I’ve seen so many folks openly pirate a game. Zelda must be too much for some folks.

(Not refereeing to here I mean).

I'm gonna go to the nearest neighbor I can find with a Trump flag on their house and fill in the white stripes of the Blue Lives flag sticker on their truck with the other colors of the rainbow
I mean you should probably do this regardless

What if a chunk of my ceiling falls on my head and knocks me out for 6 days
Then you’d have to spend your seventh day repairing your house

I kinda think James Gunn spent the time between Guardians 2 and 3 playing through all of the Xeno games.

Last edited:
So I just learned that in one of the Marvel Star Wars comic books from the 70s and 80s Lando needed to assume a fake identity for plot reasons and the man straight up did a legally distinct Captain Harlock cosplay.

e5e87607672fd825692cf20d98b85158.jpg

This is entirely apropos of nothing, but goddammit if it isn't brilliant and I just want everyone to know about it.
Disney are cowards for not canonizing this

Considering it was 40 degrees yesterday and rainy all week, it felt like Xbox over here. Gray, dreary, no bright and shiny future in sight.

/s

MSnap: Where am I?
Doctor: You're finally awake. Your ceiling fell on top of you and have been in a coma.
MSnap: Zelda. Did Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom come out? Can I play it?
Doctor: Tears of the Kingdom? Oh, I remember getting that for my 6th birthday. It was considered the greatest game of all time back then. But you've been asleep for a very long time. There has been 7 brand new 3D Zelda games since then...
Damn. MSnap aged like 40 years in this timeline…

Credits are rolling for Mario movie, I had a blast! I also liked that they listed the Latam voice actors front and center.
I just got home from seeing at as well! I went in with 0 expectations and was pleasantly surprised at the attention to detail and affection for not just Mario but Nintendo's franchises as a whole. I certainly did not expect the sheer volume of GenX nostalgia bait going on in the first 20-30 minutes.

Also, best Peach version. Ever. If nothing else comes of this endeavor I hope the sassy "takes no shit" Peach characterization sticks. I know Odyssey definitely leaned that way, but let's keep this going.

Anyways, for a "Let's take this Popeye ripoff and throw it into the Disney/Pixar/Illumination template for 90 minutes" it's pretty alright.

Two more things:
1. Was not expecting the Iwata credit in the roll. Hard to believe this project started that long ago 😢
2. If we get a Nintendo movie every 3-5 years I would be happy with that. This was highly enjoyable and a great extension / marketing of the games for people who are intimidated by them. Nintendo has so many wonderful properties they can draw on for future projects and I want to see what can be done with them. I hope Universal and Nintendo don't run this partnership into the ground because it felt sorta special because it was so long in development and there was so much care and while it's following a well-worn "kids movie" template, it didn't feel rote in the same way that some of the MCU movies have become with their thrice a year release schedule.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Pratt was fine as Mario. Completely inoffensive and average but it didn't take long to get used to it. I liked Rogen's DK and Taylor-Joy's Peach more. Jack Black I still feel was channeling Jim Cummings the entire time which is probably the right tone for Bowser but it just felt weird hearing Disney's "Pete" the entire time.

Considering it was 40 degrees yesterday and rainy all week, it felt like Xbox over here. Gray, dreary, no bright and shiny future in sight.

/s
🔥

Last edited:

Watched the first episode of this. Pretty solid overall, intriguing concept. I've always liked Genndy Tartakovsky's work but he often struggles to wrangle all his cool ideas into a satisfying ongoing narrative, but maybe this time it will work out better... maybe.

Me: “Thank god there’s all this great anime this season, keeps my mind off TotK”

Me around next week: “How do I find the time to watch all these anime and play TotK”

I just got home from seeing at as well! I went in with 0 expectations and was pleasantly surprised at the attention to detail and affection for not just Mario but Nintendo's franchises as a whole. I certainly did not expect the sheer volume of GenX nostalgia bait going on in the first 20-30 minutes.

Also, best Peach version. Ever. If nothing else comes of this endeavor I hope the sassy "takes no shit" Peach characterization sticks. I know Odyssey definitely leaned that way, but let's keep this going.

Anyways, for a "Let's take this Popeye ripoff and throw it into the Disney/Pixar/Illumination template for 90 minutes" it's pretty alright.

Two more things:
1. Was not expecting the Iwata credit in the roll. Hard to believe this project started that long ago 😢
2. If we get a Nintendo movie every 3-5 years I would be happy with that. This was highly enjoyable and a great extension / marketing of the games for people who are intimidated by them. Nintendo has so many wonderful properties they can draw on for future projects and I want to see what can be done with them. I hope Universal and Nintendo don't run this partnership into the ground because it felt sorta special because it was so long in development and there was so much care and while it's following a well-worn "kids movie" template, it didn't feel rote in the same way that some of the MCU movies have become with their thrice a year release schedule.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Pratt was fine as Mario. Completely inoffensive and average but it didn't take long to get used to it. I liked Rogen's DK and Taylor-Joy's Peach more. Jack Black I still feel was channeling Jim Cummings the entire time which is probably the right tone for Bowser but it just felt weird hearing Disney's "Pete" the entire time.

🔥
I mean he sounds like Sunshine bowser which has that macho wrestler feel
Me: “Thank god there’s all this great anime this season, keeps my mind off TotK”

Me around next week: “How do I find the time to watch all these anime and play TotK”
Do both at the same time
we get all these old ass star wars games in that heritage pack that's on sale rn but we can't get battlefront 1+2? c'mon
When’s Racer’s revenge, Bounty Hunter and Bombad racing?

Speaking of seasons and games, I swear no game ever made sums up the vibe of each season quite like Click Clock Wood in Banjo Kazooie.
The vibrant energy of Spring bursting with life, the languid heat of summer, the melancholy of autumn, the desolate isolation of Winter.

How it started: Xenoblade 3: Future Redeemed will help make the wait for Tears of the Kingdom more bearable
How it's going: I need Tears of the Kingdom to release to help me get over my post-Xenoblade depression

One thing I noticed is that the script has some lines that are quite 'violent' for Mario standards, Bowser and his army, at least in Spanish Latam dub, they use the words for kill and death many times, is it the same in English? I wonder why Nintendo didn't mind those lol

Speaking of seasons and games, I swear no game ever made sums up the vibe of each season quite like Click Clock Wood in Banjo Kazooie.
The vibrant energy of Spring bursting with life, the languid heat of summer, the melancholy of autumn, the desolate isolation of Winter.

The Spring theme in CCW is really magical. Almost like the game is rewarding you for trudging through the dark and nasty Mad Monster Mansion and Rusty Bucket Bay. As long as you don't fall off the tree...

One thing I noticed is that the script has some lines that are quite 'violent' for Mario standards, Bowser and his army, at least in Spanish Latam dub, they use the words for kill and death many times, is it the same in English? I wonder why Nintendo didn't mind those lol
Yeah, the English version has "kill" and "die" a lot.

Thinking about suing the European Broadcasting Union for choosing to air the LGBTQ+ World Championship Finale (also known as the Eurovision) the day after TOTK releases

I kinda think James Gunn spent the time between Guardians 2 and 3 playing through all of the Xeno games.
That large-scale mech invasion in the third act could've certainly belonged in a Xenoblade game, and for once in a Marvel movie, CGI looks incredibly clear cut and high quality

This tongue in cheek thread does a good job of (playfully... or maybe whimsically??) showing why some people might have fallen out of love with some of Sony's first-party games. It's not the lack of creativity let alone quality but the loss of a certain intangible characteristic that is slowly falling out of favour with their internal studios and/or publishing arm.

It's not like they don't make these types of games anymore. Ratchet & Clank and Sackboy exist and Astro Bot is arguably as whimsical as any of their classic titles. But I see it similarly to how Nintendo's output is seen largely as targeting kids or "all ages", with only a few titles aimed at older gamers. And this perception is only further fueled by the decreasing total number of releases which has affected every publisher.

did you watch the final tears of the kingdom trailer again today? if not, please get your daily dose and take the opportunity to tell zelda that you’re gonna come look for her on friday

did you watch the final tears of the kingdom trailer again today? if not, please get your daily dose and take the opportunity to tell zelda that you’re gonna come look for her on friday
No way I will! I saw it once during the livestream and since then have been bathing in hype every day. I don't want or need anything else of the game anymore

I've been playing SMB3 and why have Nintendo never brought back the Hammer power up?! It's so satisfying to be as obnoxious as a hammer bro. Hopefully they'll bring it back in the new 2d Mario. Or a hammer bro simulator game would be a good way as well

This tongue in cheek thread does a good job of (playfully... or maybe whimsically??) showing why some people might have fallen out of love with some of Sony's first-party games. It's not the lack of creativity let alone quality but the loss of a certain intangible characteristic that is slowly falling out of favour with their internal studios and/or publishing arm.

It's not like they don't make these types of games anymore. Ratchet & Clank and Sackboy exist and Astro Bot is arguably as whimsical as any of their classic titles. But I see it similarly to how Nintendo's output is seen largely as targeting kids or "all ages", with only a few titles aimed at older gamers. And this perception is only further fueled by the decreasing total number of releases which has affected every publisher.
So long as Ape Escape is neglected, there is no whimsy in Sony's output!

For real though I genuinely think it'll be really interesting to see how Nintendo and Sony's 2020s output compares to their 2010s output. Like you say, every publisher is faced with a declining total number of titles published, and Sony and Nintendo seem to have arrived at different conclusions on how to tackle it.

Sony have bought Bungie and are pivoting to live service games; my assumption is so that there's still ongoing exclusive content coming from PS studios even if the marquee efforts risk taking longer and longer to arrive and appear less frequently. Nintendo have doubled down on EPD with a big cash injection, higher levels of hiring, and new facilities, as well as seemingly expanding subsidiaries so that they can more frequently provide development support to EPD. Out of the two, it's arguably more important for Nintendo to maintain their variety of genres and franchises, because I think that mix is key to their success. For Sony, on the other hand, they've really come to be defined by their blockbuster titles over the last decade; I'm not going to pretend I'm qualified to comment on whether that results in their games being "samey", but I think it's fair to say a key reason PS4 and Switch each succeeded was because both Sony and Nintendo had a solid idea of how to corner their particular market, and first party efforts were key in both cases (even if both platform holders also benefit from things outside their control, like indies arriving en masse or Microsoft wetting the bed repeatedly).

So long as Ape Escape is neglected, there is no whimsy in Sony's output!

For real though I genuinely think it'll be really interesting to see how Nintendo and Sony's 2020s output compares to their 2010s output. Like you say, every publisher is faced with a declining total number of titles published, and Sony and Nintendo seem to have arrived at different conclusions on how to tackle it.

Sony have bought Bungie and are pivoting to live service games; my assumption is so that there's still ongoing exclusive content coming from PS studios even if the marquee efforts risk taking longer and longer to arrive and appear less frequently. Nintendo have doubled down on EPD with a big cash injection, higher levels of hiring, and new facilities, as well as seemingly expanding subsidiaries so that they can more frequently provide development support to EPD. Out of the two, it's arguably more important for Nintendo to maintain their variety of genres and franchises, because I think that mix is key to their success. For Sony, on the other hand, they've really come to be defined by their blockbuster titles over the last decade; I'm not going to pretend I'm qualified to comment on whether that results in their games being "samey", but I think it's fair to say a key reason PS4 and Switch each succeeded was because both Sony and Nintendo had a solid idea of how to corner their particular market, and first party efforts were key in both cases (even if both platform holders also benefit from things outside their control, like indies arriving en masse or Microsoft wetting the bed repeatedly).
I think to understand the complaints about Nintendo's lineup and to see how it has changed we probably have to go back even further, to the GC and N64 era. If you ask older Nintendo fans that's when they had the "best" balance of games aimed at kids and all ages vs. games for enthusiasts and adults. You'd get Mario and Zelda plus stuff like F-Zero and Golden Eye or Eternal Darkness. During the Wii/DS era there was the perception that they focused mostly on casuals and the expanded audience which only gradually changed back.

Arguably, the Switch is still not back to pre-Wii levels, even if they can boast high variety. Their big titles have widened their appeal but there's still holes in their lineup that they never managed or cared to fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom