• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST2 Nov. 2021| Are You Gonna Play Shin Megami Tensei V the Dub Way, or…

Which TGA nomination snub upset you the most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey can someone send me a link to an EPD breakdown chart or something

I am constantly mixing up EPDs and at this point have zero idea which one did what

There's no way next year we get a new 3D mario, Xenoblade 3, BOTW2, Pokémon, Splatoon, Bayonetta 3 and more. I think we shouldn't expect much more than what we already know. The goal is not to concentrate all the big releases on a single fiscal year and few months apart.

There's no way next year we get a new 3D mario, Xenoblade 3, BOTW2, Pokémon, Splatoon, Bayonetta 3 and more. I think we shouldn't expect much more than what we already know. The goal is not to concentrate all the big releases on a single fiscal year and few months apart.
The thing is, Stinker Horseperson basically negates half those releases due to how catastrophically stinky it will be, so we can fit more quality releases due to that

Brilliant strategy by Nintendo

Imagine if Geoff gets up on stage smirking up a storm, says "Thanks Vin Deisel, I will! Now, moving on, everybody pay attention to this next one, I think it's going to be pretty special. :sneaky:"

And then after "World Premiere" "Console Launch Exclusive""A Hideo Kojima Game" it's just Everybody's Stinky Horse People + Cats.

if a Mario game can align with the movie that would be a plus but Nintendo isn't going to rush something as important as mainline 3D Mario or Mario Kart or something for an arbitrary deadline when the movie can just boost existing Mario evergreen sales

Can someone familiar with Hollow Knight help me? I'm a bit stuck. I'm still in the early game, just defeated the Silksong protagonist for the first time, met the hunter, and now I'm trying to figure out where to go next. Am I supposed to unlock that door near Dirtmouth next?

@Raccoon honestly you raise a pretty good point about synergy with the Mario movie in that fantasy calendar of yours!

What if they materialize SMO2 right on time with the movie?!

If you guess that right, the godhood you claimed in that MK thread will be affirmed.
I think if there's a tie-in Mario (2D or 3D), it will at the very least be as vanilla as possible. It won't be Odyssey 2, it probably wouldn't be New Super Mario Bros, it'll just strive to be "Mario."

If they really want to synergize, they may do a game that matches the visual style of the movie and features its settings (which so far seem to at least include the Mario Bros' city and a construction site therein).

I have no idea if a full 3D Mario is possible by then, but if we assume that Bowser's Fury wasn't a massive undertaking and that MonkEPD is a 2D game, which rumors seem to corroborate, then we could get a Super Mario Movie 3D platformer. That's just my guess, though.

if a Mario game can align with the movie that would be a plus but Nintendo isn't going to rush something as important as mainline 3D Mario or Mario Kart or something for an arbitrary deadline when the movie can just boost existing Mario evergreen sales
What if they intentionally developed a tie-in movie specific game tho?

Yo @Raccoon what’s your favorite steely dan album.
Katy Lied. It has more stinkers than any other Dan album IMO, but Bad Sneakers, Doctor Wu, and Your Gold Teeth II are my three favorite cuts from the entire discography. Those three combined with the handful of mediocre songs, a young Jeff Porcaro playing drums on all but one track, and the infamous engineering incident that almost killed the whole project give it a lot of character.

It's not that unrealistic. Nintendo publish around 20 games a year across retail and digital, inclusive of third-party titles which they publish in certain regions. Usually, they publish 3 to 5 'big' selling games each year, too (let's say 10 million plus for the sake of ease of discussion).

In your post you've got four 'big' sellers in 2022 - Pokemon Legends, Splatoon 3, Zelda, 3D Mario. That's completely normal for Nintendo. This year didn't have 'big' new games, but it still had Mario 3D World, Mario Party Superstars, Pokemon - 3 titles which will exceed 10 million, two of which should exceed 10 million in the current financial year. And they had Zelda on top of that, which is on track to break the 5 million mark in the financial year.

Then you've got the smaller sellers that Nintendo do every year - Bayonetta 3, Xenoblade 3, Triangle Strategy in Europe and the US, Kirby, Metroid Prime HD. Those games probably sell in the 1 to 3 million range. Perhaps, if one of them does especially well, it goes above that range. We'll see more of those types of titles announced for next year.

The Ilumination partnership has been in the works since late 2016, and the last 3D Mario game (again barring Bowser's Fury) came out in late 2017. It might be a bit of a reach but I see nothing about the timeline that precludes it

I think if there's a tie-in Mario (2D or 3D), it will at the very least be as vanilla as possible. It won't be Odyssey 2, it probably wouldn't be New Super Mario Bros, it'll just strive to be "Mario."

If they really want to synergize, they may do a game that matches the visual style of the movie and features its settings (which so far seem to at least include the Mario Bros' city and a construction site therein).

I have no idea if a full 3D Mario is possible by then, but if we assume that Bowser's Fury wasn't a massive undertaking and that MonkEPD is a 2D game, which rumors seem to corroborate, then we could get a Super Mario Movie 3D platformer. That's just my guess, though.
I was thinking more along the lines of merely timing a new game with the movie, rather than making something FOR the movie.

Honestly, I don't think Nintendo's gonna do an actual movie tie-in.

I mean, we do we want Chris Pratt in Mario game? I sure hope not.

Can someone familiar with Hollow Knight help me? I'm a bit stuck. I'm still in the early game, just defeated the Silksong protagonist for the first time, met the hunter, and now I'm trying to figure out where to go next. Am I supposed to unlock that door near Dirtmouth next?
God it's been way too long since I've played Hollow Knight but if I'm thinking of the same door you are I'm pretty sure it's entirely optional. Definitely not where you're supposed to go to progress.

The Ilumination partnership has been in the works since late 2016, and the last 3D Mario game (again barring Bowser's Fury) came out in late 2017. It might be a bit of a reach but I see nothing about the timeline that precludes it
The movie was also delayed by a year, and Nintendo's pipeline by who knows how long due to COVID so if there was ever any plans from 2016 to align the Mario movie and a big Mario game release they are probably in the shitter now. In general if you try to develop a video game to perfectly line up with a movie that means it has to be developed in under a year with no money and a huge time crunch.

I was thinking more along the lines of merely timing a new game with the movie, rather than making something FOR the movie.

Honestly, I don't think Nintendo's gonna do an actual movie tie-in.
I'm not even sure if Nintendo would want to explicitly tie a game to the movie, but I think a shared visual style and handful of settings could be appropriate.

Keep in mind that if the rumors finally pan out, we could have what is functionally the Switch 2 with some form of 4K come out that holiday. Having a game that looks like the new movie that's coming out around the same time could be an incredible push for both the platform and the overall Nintendo brand.

God it's been way too long since I've played Hollow Knight but if I'm thinking of the same door you are I'm pretty sure it's entirely optional. Definitely not where you're supposed to go to progress.
Now I'm even more confused lol. Where the heck do I go?

Now I'm even more confused lol. Where the heck do I go?
Wherever you want, you'll probably find progress.

Iirc, the closest thing to a dev intended route has you go towards the mushroom region next. Follow the signs that point towards a city like thing

The movie was also delayed by a year, and Nintendo's pipeline by who knows how long due to COVID so if there was ever any plans from 2016 to align the Mario movie and a big Mario game release they are probably in the shitter now. In general if you try to develop a video game to perfectly line up with a movie that means it has to be developed in under a year with no money and a huge time crunch.
Bringing up the original movie date actually makes me more confident in there being some sort of connection. 3D Mario has had a pretty solid cadence for a while of 3.5 to 4 years, which would have put the next one in 2021. Adding to that the fact that Bowser's Fury was originally poised for the second half of 2020 could paint a picture about the intended release timeline for 3D Mario.

Wherever you want, you'll probably find progress.

Iirc, the closest thing to a dev intended route has you go towards the mushroom region next. Follow the signs that point towards a city like thing
But like, I'm not seeing any way to progress on the map. It's just a bunch of dead ends.

I don't feel completely confident in this idea or anything, but I do think it's possible and as such will continue to defend it as best I can

But like, I'm not seeing any way to progress on the map. It's just a bunch of dead ends.
Post a picture of your map? Maybe that'll help

It's hard to get a good idea of where exactly you need to go since HK is a pretty open game (and also it's been a while since I played it last so I'm not entirely sure of the exact order of progression)

Genuinely wonder what caused Nintendo to pivot, or if they finally just got worn down after years of being pestered about it.

RIP to the Melee rollback netcode project tho
Nintendo of America always seemed to have an interest in supporting the scene. It was usually Japan that would cause some hurdle. Base off a few tidbits I’ve heard about.

I totally get the idea of "a Mario game that looks like the movie" because I grew up in the "let's adapt all the movies into games" era of the 90s. But what I really hope for is a movie that looks like the game.

Its possible that Nintendo wants a 3 year cycle between 3D Marios, alterning between mayor and less budget proyects

2017: Odyssey
2020: 3D World + Bowser Fury (it was delayed to early 2021 by pandemic)
2023: Next 3D Mario
2026: A VR Mario.

btw, Mario movie release very late 2022 (same week as christmass), so don’t think they have plans to relate it to one of their videogames, coordination is not as easy as we think. Especially between and american base company with a japanese one.

Last edited:
Post a picture of your map? Maybe that'll help

It's hard to get a good idea of where exactly you need to go since HK is a pretty open game (and also it's been a while since I played it last so I'm not entirely sure of the exact order of progression)
I'll have to do it later. Although, I'm not sure how to transfer images from my Switch to my phone.

I don't feel completely confident in this idea or anything, but I do think it's possible and as such will continue to defend it as best I can
I think it's likely neither the movie or the game were required to launch alongside one another, but that Nintendo will want to maximise the launch of the Mario movie and the sales of any Mario games in 2022.

My view is that Nintendo see it as desirable to get a major Mario title - a new platformer - out with some proximity to the film (3 months? 6 months?). It doesn't need to be day and date, or even the same month and not necessarily the same quarter; whatever major Mario title they put out will sell strongly for several years. If it precedes the film by a few months, who cares? Perhaps that's even desirable - a wide audience goes out and sees the film at Christmas and then off they pop to the shops to buy themselves some Mario goodness, including the latest game that's been out and talked about for a few weeks/months/whatever.

Ultimately the films are about driving consumers to their videogame business by widening the reach of their IP. That doesn't have to involve launching a new game in the series close to the film, but the film's launch represents an obvious opportunity for Nintendo to drive a wide audience to their Super Mario videogames. An easy way to do that would be to have exciting new games to sell.

Nintendo of America always seemed to have an interest in supporting the scene. It was usually Japan that would cause some hurdle. Base off a few tidbits I’ve heard about.
Mmm, that's true. Makes sense they were the sole reason they pushed as hard as they did to get the Nintendo Championships in 2015 and 2017 with E3. Honestly I wonder why NCL has such an aversion to supporting the competitive scene; hell it's their actions as a whole that make it hard to take to take their little twitter bio of "We're listening, too" seriously.

RIP to a real one

Okay, a direct movie tie-in? Would be cool, I think it could happen

The game being as vanilla as possible to make it "compatible" with the movie? 100% happening

That assumes, of course, that we're due for one. Maybe Bowser's Fury was a big project, maybe something's wrong at EPD8, maybe Donkey Kong is asphyxiating the series, or maybe the next game is just more ambitious

I should stress that Nintendo is sitting on a bunch of finished games.

Even if half the games you listed didn't release in 2022, there are other games (reinforcements) ready to take their spot.

If Xenoblade doesn't release in 2022, then Nintendo has Fire Emblem.
If BOTW2 doesn't release in 2022, then Nintendo has other Zelda stuff.

Nintendo is very prepared for 2022.

Mmm, that's true. Makes sense they were the sole reason they pushed as hard as they did to get the Nintendo Championships in 2015 and 2017 with E3. Honestly I wonder why NCL has such an aversion to supporting the competitive scene; hell it's their actions as a whole that make it hard to take to take their little twitter bio of "We're listening, too" seriously.

RIP to a real one
To be fair. They do listen and have shown that in response. Just the response isn’t always what we want lol.

Ironically, Sora being in Smash is a big fan inclusion base off then listening.

We’ll never know the details for the Smash scene stuff, must be either something dumb or legal issues, that copyright screen always gives me a headache

oh yeah, I forgot Fire Emblem was supposed to happen at some point

Okay, a direct movie tie-in? Would be cool, I think it could happen

The game being as vanilla as possible to make it "compatible" with the movie? 100% happening

That assumes, of course, that we're due for one. Maybe Bowser's Fury was a big project, maybe something's wrong at EPD8, maybe Donkey Kong is asphyxiating the series, or maybe the next game is just more ambitious
quoting for the new page because I think it's important context for my silly little argument

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom