• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST19 April 2023| A tradition unlike any other

Status
Not open for further replies.
XQxhqat.jpg
BLUE ARMS?! NOOOOOOOOOOO!

these TotK script leaks are insane

Link: Die pig. You don't belong in this world!

Ganondorf: It was not by my hand I was once again hydrated. I was brought here by Hylians who wished to pay me tribute!

Link: Tribute!? You steal Bokoblin souls and make them your slaves!

Ganondorf: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions…

Link: Your words are as empty as your soul! Hyrule ill needs a king such as you!

Ganondorf: What is a Hylian? A miserable little pile of secrets. But enough talk… Have at you!

Corporate PR accounts talking to each other never stops being weird
The only ones I liked were when Aaron Webber ran Sonic twitter and when Amy Brown ran Wendy's twitter. Because they were both just people fuckin around with the accounts and going legitimately viral. Then other companies tried to do the same thing as a strategy and.. eh.. you can tell it isn't sincere. It isn't true bullshit.

There's something poetic about the fact that the Switch launched with Zelda, and now six years later we've come full circle.

Feels kinda like how Wii began with Twilight Princess then got Skyward Sword in its twilight years, or how the SNES began with Super Mario World, then got Yoshi's Island the year before the N64 arrived.

Mood music tonight

Tokyo Game Show is Sept. 21 - 24 this year. So that sorta puts an upper limit on how late in the year they'll want to wait (they won't be at the show per tradition, but plenty of their partners will be), and it won't be a quiet announcement. They haven't done that for any of their hardware in recent memory.

The quiet announcement idea from me is mostly motivated by trying to balance having an adequate marketing cycle for the next console (and appeasing shareholders who might be asking about what's next) while also not totally killing Switch momentum in the specific case where Switch 2 releases early 2024. The "quietest" announcement I can recall in recent memory was the original NX announcement. As an upper limit for a "quiet reveal", I suppose I'm thinking of Switch's 2016 reveal, which laid out the concept but didn't have the full details they saved for January 2017. However, that was a different time for Nintendo, and it's hard for me to say that level of buzz for a 2024 successor going into the 2023 holiday season would be the right call with Switch still doing reasonably well. There are a lot of levers they could pull, though, such as big Switch releases, bundles, and price drops, to minimize any disruptions to momentum, and ultimately, what the product actually is really shapes a lot. An iteration on Switch would have different marketing plans than something with an entirely new core concept, and other factors like planned price, anticipated relationship to Switch (replacement vs. existing alongside), and Switch sales targets would also affect these plans. Me presenting any idea at all of what might happen is built around so many assumptions. There are just so many factors!

As for TGS, I believe you're saying that if Switch 2 is coming Jan-April 2024, it will have games at Tokyo Games Show. If I'm reading you correctly, I somewhat agree in the scenario where it's announced prior to September, but I think it would depend on how much is shown at the initial reveal. I don't think an early 2024 console release would guarantee games being shown at TGS 2023, given Switch did not have games at TGS 2016. (Of course, its reveal also came after TGS 2016.) All in all, this is entirely my speculation, so I fully recognize that I could be shown to be completely wrong a year from now. I actually expect that, given all the assumptions I'm running with.

A small, chaotic part of me says that if it's releasing March/April 2024, they could get away with just holding off until January for an announcement. However, the leaks prior to then would likely be massive and their software partners might not be happy with such truncated marketing plans, so that doesn't seem wise.

Let's just hope it releases this holiday. :)

I watched the Mario film.

Even as someone who’s played all the games and loves the series. Movie was mediocre and disappointing. Felt like they focused on pure set pieces and didn’t care much about letting the characters talk.

My favorite scenes were the few times the characters chatted a bit. But everything felt rushed. I hope the sequel focuses on letting scenes breathe a bit. And not trying to be so quick.

All and all. Disappointing watch. But I had a good time since I watched it with family who liked it.
Sounds like you and I have similar movie tastes, as your thoughts somewhat echo mine. I'm happy for its success, but I didn't really appreciate it as a movie mostly due to the script. Tons of great Nintendo and Mario details, though!

Last edited:
I watched the Mario film.

Even as someone who’s played all the games and loves the series. Movie was mediocre and disappointing. Felt like they focused on pure set pieces and didn’t care much about letting the characters talk.

My favorite scenes were the few times the characters chatted a bit. But everything felt rushed. I hope the sequel focuses on letting scenes breathe a bit. And not trying to be so quick.

All and all. Disappointing watch. But I had a good time since I watched it with family who liked it.
I have to say that I liked the movie at first, but after seeing it for a second time I’m starting to think more and more like you. You can almost see the hands of the execs ruining the movie (trimming it down to 90 minutes, adding unnecessary pop music that you have heard 100 times in movies…) and it’s a bit sad.

I’ve seen Dungeons and Dragons two days ago and it’s a better movie and, in some ways, a better game adaptation? It wasn’t like watching a festival of easter eggs and more like watching someone play a Larian game and try to game the systems.

Corporate PR accounts talking to each other never stops being weird
‘cause it’s marketing trying to be edgy and it’s always been soulless fake bullshit

rapport is not a thing brands can nor should achieve

finally got through this hell of first person platforming and lol lmao the final "battle" is a fucking QTE fest. oh well, dying light done.

these TotK script leaks are insane

Link: Die pig. You don't belong in this world!

Ganondorf: It was not by my hand I was once again hydrated. I was brought here by Hylians who wished to pay me tribute!

Link: Tribute!? You steal Bokoblin souls and make them your slaves!

Ganondorf: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions…

Link: Your words are as empty as your soul! Hyrule ill needs a king such as you!

Ganondorf: What is a Hylian? A miserable little pile of secrets. But enough talk… Have at you!

You joke but I hope Ganondorf is as verbose at this in the full game. I know some people want a menacing but deep and complex villain but that's not who Dorf is. Motherfucker was playing an organ while waiting for you to come kill him in Ocarina of Time. Dude probably sits there looking smug even when there is no one else around.

maxresdefault.jpg

He's the neighborhood dickhead turned up to 11. Smashing mailboxes and stealing little kids' lunch money was getting boring so he thought it was time to take over a kingdom.

Tales of Symphonia minor story spoiler

Uhhh
so I played this game to death on the GameCube and I do not remember the trash talking being this severe at all. I'm near the end so the team knows they can trust Sheena but she was ko'd during a difficult boss fight and Raine told her it wasn't an inn so she shouldn't be sleeping and Sheena just called her a cold hearted bitch at the end of the fight. I'm guessing this was a ps2 or later version? But I was like damn aren't you friendly yet?

At the time Sonic Adventure came out I was more like Melissa there: young, smiling, enjoying the spectacle.

But now I'm more like Jason: looking surprised and irritated that someone is talking to me in public.

As for TGS, I believe you're saying that if Switch 2 is coming Jan-April 2024, it will have games at Tokyo Games Show. If I'm reading you correctly, I somewhat agree in the scenario where it's announced prior to September, but I think it would depend on how much is shown at the initial reveal. I don't think an early 2024 console release would guarantee games being shown at TGS 2023, given Switch did not have games at TGS 2016. (Of course, its reveal also came after TGS 2016.) All in all, this is entirely my speculation, so I fully recognize that I could be shown to be completely wrong a year from now. I actually expect that, given all the assumptions I'm running with.
Yea, you were reading me right. Depending on the launch window, TGS would be ample time for partners to show off their launch window titles, and would be a good opportunity for the public to get their hands on the hardware.

‘cause it’s marketing trying to be edgy and it’s always been soulless fake bullshit

rapport is not a thing brands can nor should achieve
Absolutely. Corporations are not your friends.

Tales of Symphonia minor story spoiler

Uhhh
so I played this game to death on the GameCube and I do not remember the trash talking being this severe at all. I'm near the end so the team knows they can trust Sheena but she was ko'd during a difficult boss fight and Raine told her it wasn't an inn so she shouldn't be sleeping and Sheena just called her a cold hearted bitch at the end of the fight. I'm guessing this was a ps2 or later version? But I was like damn aren't you friendly yet?
Wow, I don't remember that either, you would think by that point in the game that voice line wouldn't be there anymore. Odd.

How do I keep track of the stock of The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Collector's Edition and know when the next stock is available?

I'm doing this for a brother of mine.

How do I keep track of the stock of The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Collector's Edition and know when the next stock is available?

I'm doing this for a brother of mine.
Follow Wario64 and cheap ass gamer (if you don’t use Twitter, Wario has a discord but not sure how quick they stuff gets posted there). They are probably your best bets for immediate notice of availability.

Tears of the Kingdom looks cool and all but when is Nintendo finally going give us more information about the Sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild? They said it was in development in 2019 and we still don't have a release date.

i do enjoy looking forward to The Legend of Zelda: Tears of The Kingdom™ for my Nintendo Switch OLED™ system, part of the Nintendo Switch™ system family.

They have the metroid dead and zelda skyward sword amiibos for 5 dollars at gamestop. I ordered the metoid ones and my PayPal has been charged and I got a confirmation email but the order doesn't appear on my purchase history on their website. This bothers me.

Holy shit.

I have excessive daytime drowsiness and didn't know.

How do I deal with it?

I just finished A Space for the Unbound... I have no words. What a beautiful ending. One of the best ending sequences to a game that I've ever experienced.

If anyone needs me, I'll be curled up in the corner bawling my eyes out.

I did Xeno 3 and Octopath. I don’t think these will both get below $30 each, so hopped on it. Still waiting for the order to show up in my history and get my confirmation email though…have an order number at least.
Yea, their website is absolutely buckling right now. I can't even get the product pages to load in my browser :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom