• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST19 April 2023| A tradition unlike any other

Status
Not open for further replies.
man, it’s so undeniably wack that these modern, super-powerful consoles (PS5/Series X) cannot run just about everything at 60, and that they make the consumer choose if they want framerate or resolution. The price and power-draw of these consoles makes me think it should be both! I should be getting both here!
damn almost like mindlessly pursuing power isn't a good idea when you have limited resources

Join us on April 13th, 7 a.m. PT to watch the final pre-launch trailer for The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom...

...or else.

I can't believe Nintendo just C&D'd the Library of Congress because they dared to add the Super Mario Bros. theme.

Maybe I’m doing too much speculation.

But I feel this game is probably being…rushed? Just seems weird for a 1st party title to have a performance mode not at launch. Especially when the “next Gen” talk by devs and PR saying saying stuff that’ll make you believe these modes would be available. I don’t know.
Rushing just to get stuck right before FFXVI and TotK is like when people go over the speed limit just to get stuck at some traffic lights.

I certainly think Redfall would be better at 60fps but from what I've seen of it 60fps won't be essential, if that makes sense?

Anyone else notice input lag in Pokémon Stadium? I was playing the Rattatta mini game but it wasn't registering the jump button quickly enough to jump the barriers. Also why the hell is the gyrados not receiving recoil from double edge? He just out sped and one shotted my entire team multiple times. I'm guessing it's gen 1 bugs that are causing these shenanigans.

Also why the hell is the gyrados not receiving recoil from double edge? He just out sped and one shotted my entire team multiple times. I'm guessing it's gen 1 bugs that are causing these shenanigans.
I donno about Stadium, but in gen one, moves deal recoil when they one-shot. Gotta be a Stadium thing.

12 minutes is all it takes for me to actually focus on work and then some shit goes down that I missed???

12 minutes is all it takes for me to actually focus on work and then some shit goes down that I missed???
I know rite

giphy.gif

Been a fun week, had some open table access in a quiet area so I’ve knocked out 3 kits and May do a fourth(leaning Chuchu’s demi). Did my first Shogukan Modeling Project kit, Gyakuten-Oh from Ippatsuman(one of 2 SMP I got on clearance), and I’m impressed, for the smaller size it’s seriously not inferior to HG and it’s definitely better polished than Moderoid(too bad about the huge pricing markup tho since it doesn’t really get distribution outside Japan) was shocked by the amount of undergating even! Nice mix of prepainted and just 4 stickers(mostly for the sword, one was a reflector).

IMG_6662.jpg

IMG_6663.jpg

IMG_6664.jpg

IMG_6666.jpg

The HGWFM line is ace tho, no Polycaps and lots of nice touches. Already halfway through my active queue too, tho I’ll probably pull out a longer bigger project when I’m back in my workspace like RG GGG. I will also take better pics of these in my photobox too
Huh, Video Games, what are those
Thinking of getting back to Way of the Thief or starting Nier Replicant today
The XBOX has been such a disappointment this gen. I can't remember the last 1st party game I bought.
New games? I just upgraded for all my BC stuff and xbone games I never finished. Oh and streaming for anime. Plus emulation but that’s dead now

Nah nah the TotK trailer actually helps FFXVI, now gamers can get as disappointed as they want with FF because at least TotK will be there!

You buy a console so you don't have to worry about stuff like this. If you want to muck around with visual quality vs. framerate get a PC.
I kinda feel the same way. Not that I think options are bad. But personally it just makes the consoles even more redundant with my PC.

though I suspect later into the generation it'll disappear.
It'll definitely disappear as the games become more and more technically involved. That's the folly with thinking 120hz60fps was going to be the new normal. It may take longer thing generation due to the perf/quality options being a thing but I think there will be games where they opt not to do performance modes because they'll have to sacrifice resolution or visual effects too much.

Sometimes I wonder if the constant desire for more, better pixels at the cost of hardware costs and energy usage is maybe a bad thing!

The games look nice but at what cost? $200 a month electricity bills using $600 hardware and 6-7 year game development schedules? Maybe we oughta step it back a bit as an industry
It's almost like a hardware manufacturer reached that conclusion nearly two decades ago and said "nah, we're good, let's pump the brakes a bit here"!

It's especially why I'm tired of reading about TV trends chasing 8K in the consumer space.

HD televisions were developed because screens kept getting bigger and you did see more and more visual artifacts and reduced image quality. Unless the average living room space expand both horizontally and vertically to contain these massive screens to show off these unnatural number of pixels, 8K will simply not take off and the small silver lining is I'm happy to hear that it's already starting to stall in terms of development. Focus on improving features in 4K TVs and making them cheaper and more energy efficient. 8K screen resolutions will only make sense in movie theatre auditoriums for the size they need.
Yea, I'm struggling to see the benefit to home setups unless you're trying to make an entire wall a screen. Which will look cool in advertising but it's going to be nausea inducing for a number of people.

I do think the technology will have its uses for things that need that much screen space but I don't see it for the average consumer.

(Not to mention I'm pretty much settled into the 55" LG C1 and I definitely cannot move my couch any closer for that optimal 3'4" away viewing angle; I just want this TV to last as long as humanly possible haha)
I'm still rocking a 1080p Samsung display from over a decade ago and I've got no interest in upgrading to a 4K because it would absolutely dominate my apartment's living room. Pretty sure there's at most 5-7 feet between the TV and the couch at best.

The only reason I would love to upgrade would be for HDR support and until Nintendo rolls that out into their hardware I don't see a point in upgrading.

Also why the hell is the gyrados not receiving recoil from double edge? He just out sped and one shotted my entire team multiple times. I'm guessing it's gen 1 bugs that are causing these shenanigans.
Stadium makes quite a few changes from RBY. I assume some are balance changes, but the Gen 1 GB games are hella buggy and Stadium does things like fix Focus Energy so it doesn't lower your crit rate instead of raising it, and the hilarious Rage bug where if it ever misses, its accuracy becomes 1/256.

Full list here: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/...glish)#Changes_from_Red.2C_Blue.2C_and_Yellow

Y'all weren't kidding about the Dr Who Extended Universe being wild

"Our reporter had the extraordinary opportunity to meet with the scientific leader of this initiative, Professor Dave Ross, who was kind enough to give us a little hint about his immediate plans after this project wraps up:"

In my quest to find smaller games to fill the void between now and Advance Wars I started Dust: An Elysian Tale earlier. Colour me impressed. Really slick and fluid movement and combat, lovely graphics and good voice acting. It's a side-scrolling action RPG. It plays great with the Hori Split Pad Pro in handheld. Not played it docked yet.

Crossposting from the Sonic thread here because I think this is important for gaming history as a whole:
YALL THIS IS NOT A DRILL

We now have the earliest drawings of Tails ever found:

Crossposting from the Sonic thread here because I think this is important for gaming history as a whole:
Love this stuff. Why I think the digital eclipse and 8-4 retro rereleases are the best (even if people complain about some wonky latency) because they treat the source material the best (M2 also). Always getting museum stuff, artwork, etc. Wish Nintendo was this good with their older content.

I had successfully removed this theme from my head after months of it being there, but thanks to random Youtube suggestions, it's back.

(it's okay, it slaps)

It's crazy how we're so excited for something that lasts three minutes

Three minutes is going to give us days of discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom