• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST18 March 2023| The physical version of ST18 will be available in stores next month

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mario and Sonic (and, uh, DK I guess?) aside, I don’t think most people are clamoring for Scrimblo Bimblo’s Scrunkly Adventure right now. Platformers feel like the domain of indie devs, the funny wahoo jumpman people and the funny blue hedgehog people these days. Maybe Crash has a market (I guess they wouldn’t let Wumpa League see the light of day if it didn’t). Other stuff? I dunno. I don’t think most PlayStation or Xbox fans are very interested in cartoony platformers (but they did greenlight Ratchet and Clank, so what do I know.) The market’s just more favourable to RPGs and “cinematic” action games right now, I guess.
Scrimblo Bimblo will have their day in the sun, you'll see.

First day of Mario ticket sales are strong. Pre-Selling like a blockbuster, which is uncommon for an animated movie. Animated movies tend to rely on family and general audience walk-ups. Box Office Pro (the most reputable tracker) is predicting a $70-100m opening weekend (which doesn't even include the opening two days since it opens on Wednesday).

Movie is about to be huge.

Mario and Sonic (and, uh, DK I guess?) aside, I don’t think most people are clamoring for Scrimblo Bimblo’s Scrunkly Adventure right now. Platformers feel like the domain of indie devs, the funny wahoo jumpman people and the funny blue hedgehog people these days. Maybe Crash has a market (I guess they wouldn’t let Wumpa League see the light of day if it didn’t). Other stuff? I dunno. I don’t think most PlayStation or Xbox fans are very interested in cartoony platformers (but they did greenlight Ratchet and Clank, so what do I know.) The market’s just more favourable to RPGs and “cinematic” action games right now, I guess.
Kirby just had its best selling game ever last year and it was a 3D platformer. It's less that there isn't a market but non-Nintendo console manufacturers have more or less ignored the family-aimed demographic of games.

Yeah, certain genres at least. I have a stack of RPGs that I need to get to but I wouldn't mind a few 3D platformers or, just throwing something out there, a jet ski racing game with complex water physics.
What about a 3D platformer with jet ski racing and complex water physics

First day of Mario ticket sales are strong. Pre-Selling like a blockbuster, which is uncommon for an animated movie. Animated movies tend to rely on family and general audience walk-ups. Box Office Pro (the most reputable tracker) is predicting a $70-100m opening weekend (which doesn't even include the opening two days since it opens on Wednesday).

Movie is about to be huge.
Does Pixar have anything coming out this year? It'll probably be the frontrunner at the Oscars because the eligible voting population don't give two shits about the animated category beyond what their kids wanna see lol

Waiting for the RPG spinoff, Scrimblo: Quest for Bimblo.

oh heck yeah, my tax return came in and I had enough left after bills and putting some in savings to pick up Luigi’s Mansion 3 thanks to the Mario Day sales

I’m stoked

Another Friday, another Top 6 list I want to see from you! For the second week of questions I have to ask: What were your top 6 remasters/remakes/upgraded ports of games you enjoyed on Switch? Whether it was your first time or sixth time playing these games, what have been your favourite experiences to revisit specifically on the Switch? But like before, don't just make it a list; at least write a sentence or three about why they were so impactful to you
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: The best Mario Kart, already improved but now just getting better and better. I didn't expect to be getting new content nearly ten years after the original, and I adore it.

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury: Even ignoring the excellent Bowser's Fury, they took a great Mario game and pushed it over the edge with better movement all around and actual online play! An all-time Super Mario package for sure.

Link's Awakening: Even with the framerate problems and the pace breaking Dampé side quest, this is bar none my favorite way to play this game. From the incredible music to the lovely art style that absolutely fits the tone and world of the original, LA on Switch was a wonderful experience.

Skyward Sword HD: Sometimes, all you need is an improved framerate and a few nips and tucks. You can argue that the game needed some more, but this is the best version of a Zelda game that was controversial in its day but gets to stand more as it's own thing in a post-BotW world.

Kirby’s Return to Dream Land Deluxe: Scope Shot will be missed. Every other change makes this the definitive version by far. It's the small things (faster Super Abilities, better graphics, remastered sound, harder Extra Mode and True Arena) and the large things (Merry Magoland, Magolor Epilogue). This one's better than the original 2D Kirby Switch game!

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap: One of the most beautiful remakes I've ever played. While the underlying gameplay and design is the same besides wide-screen (you can switch to the original graphics and sound, and all the old passwords work even with a save system), the star of the show are a gorgeous hand drawn art style and a live instrumental score. This game alone got me interested in trying the other Wonder Boy games.

I have yet to start Prime Remastered, but I'm sure it's up there!

Playing the Bayonetta Origins demo confirmed some of my assumptions about the game.

What sticks out is obviously the very strong art direction, perhaps the best in a Platinum game to date. The gorgeous environments and the picture book aesthetic make for a very charming experience. Sadly, it seems to be a bit overpriced for what it offers in gameplay/replayability. I finished the demo and it showed me a 10% completion rate, I've seen others reach as high as 12% so I assume I missed some item here and there. I don't really mind short games, quite the opposite, but based on the demo this seems to lack the depth to make it more than a one and done deal.

The other thing is that I still think this should have been its own thing rather than a Bayonetta spin-off/prequel. As a Bayo fan I'm more than happy to spend more time in this world but I can't help but feel like it's going to hold the game back because it'll inevitably draw comparisons to the mainline series (it's actually already happening). Ah well...

I'm probably gonna wait for reviews but it's looking like something to get used or on a discount.

Did some exploring of IRL Hebra Region today, and also met a squirrel friend:

uzZz2yt.jpg

UrAHMd3.jpg

TUuKEZf.jpg

zOIEfJF.jpg

There’s a wee bit of snow up here

Legitimately they released multiple games I was interested in across September through February (like, 5?) but I only bought one because they were all RPGs.

Creating competition for their own games was stupid and they have no one to blame but themselves. I might manage to get around to Crisis Core and DQ Treasures one day, but it's not likely.
Yeah I also thought this was really silly. I was really interested in Tactics Ogre, Front Mission, Diofield, Harvestella and DQ Treasures, and all of them were full price games released in the space of about 9 weeks. That 3 of them were long SRPGs from the same company clustered on top of each other was weird too. Why not space them out a bit?

If you haven’t already done it, get on the best 2D Mario since SNES

Not counting Mario Maker

Thanks for the reminder! £5 was "eh, why not," territory for me.

Also a PSA for anyone also buying this... make sure to turn your phone's ringer on or else there'll be no sound whatsoever. I always have my phone on silent and I thought the game was just completely broken for a bit there.

I really don't want to switch browsers just to see embedded tweets again. No idea what happened. They were working, one refresh later, they stop working everywhere.

Pretty shameful of Famiboards to make the Nintendo producer you called an idiot on Era, Furukawa's son, and Chris Pratt's favorite cousin a moderator. I guess it will be instant ban if you don't like Pratt's performance as Mario.
This was the only way NCL wouldn’t send a cease and desist letter and close down the website.

Not gaming related, but I just gave my first ever Professional Development Day in my new role at work, (basically had to just turn up and talk for an hour about "hey, I was that autistic kid at school, here's my experience and what would've helped me") and a teacher came up to me afterwards and said it was one of the best they'd seen in 25 years of teaching! ☺️

Last edited:
Gotta say having a rotating staff is a good way to keep the forum from leaning too much towards certain biases or making certain users seem elevated above others. But I still need the search function fixed

Another Friday, another Top 6 list I want to see from you! For the second week of questions I have to ask: What were your top 6 remasters/remakes/upgraded ports of games you enjoyed on Switch? Whether it was your first time or sixth time playing these games, what have been your favourite experiences to revisit specifically on the Switch? But like before, don't just make it a list; at least write a sentence or three about why they were so impactful to you!

I'll present my list (unranked):

Pikmin 3 Deluxe
While I was admittedly hesitant at first to pick this up again (specifically because I remembered the first time I played it on Wii U it was so short), as soon as I started a new save file I was reminded so quickly why I've come to love the series. So much comes together in a perfect little package; charming music, lush greenery and environments, adorable characters and enemies, and a brain teasing challenge. Additionally, the difficulty to reduce the number of Pikmin allowed in the field at once while also offering prologue and epilogue missions for Olimar and Louie have just made it worthwhile, and I was happy to do my part to ensure there was sufficient interest shown for Pikmin 4.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
I was sold alone on the promise of a proper Battle Mode, but BOOSTER COURSE PACK solidified this decision to pick the game up.

Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
It's really so pretty, and though I enjoyed the game on Wii (while not quite finishing it), I can still appreciate the finer details in improving the character models, as well as the bonus story chapter. One day I'll actually get around to pulling my XC2 game out of the CE box 🙃

Portal Collection
I beat the first game on PC, and the second on 360. This came at a perfect time when I was considering going through both again, and wow these puzzles still hold up to this day. You'll scratch your head, aching on how to solve a challenge, but when it all clicks, you feel like the smartest person in the room. I even felt inclined to go back and finish all the challenge rooms like I hadn't before, and the options for Portal 2's multiplayer whether splitscreen, local wireless or online are all fantastic playstyles and do not skimp on options.

Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit
Playing this game again is like a time capsule for 2010. The only drawbacks I've had are load times, but the music from 30 Seconds to Mars before Leto became a meme, the righteous DnB of Pendulum's "Watercolour" to get you hyped while driving along the coastline highway at night in the rain, and just the aesthetic of cars from 2010 are cool as hell (and I love making them ugly as sin by picking custom colours and make them as bright neon highliter pink as possible 😋)

Super Monkey Ball
I dunno what it is about this game, it's just fun. I also appreciate that no matter how challenging it gets, the game does offer an easy mode and slow down mode. While it's a shame it doesn't offer online, the multiplayer for 1-4 players is still as fun as it ever was back on the Gamecube when I could only ever rent those games

The only reason Metroid Prime Remastered (and Skyward Sword HD, and Link's Awakening DX) aren't on my list is because I haven't got them yet, but I do hope to fix that in the future! There are a number of other games I'd like to consider like Darksiders, The Witcher 3, L.A. Noire, DOOM, and Alan Wake, but they're all in my backlog and I've yet to give them a go (or at least finish them proper) 😋
This is tough. I think I’ll go with (1-6):

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - I’ve put over 515 hours into Deluxe now and it’s by far my most played game on Switch. The BCP heavily factors into claiming the top spot here, but it was already a fantastic version of my favorite Mario Kart to date and a perfect example of how awesome and flexible the Switch is. One of the best tabletop / two players with Joy Con games on the system.

Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition - Finally Xenoblade Chronicles got its big chance to shine as it should. The core game is already fantastic and while it does change the vibes a bit, the new character models are very expressive. Loved getting one more adventure with Shulk and Melia in Future Connected.

Metroid Prime Remastered - This game looks incredible like it virtually just came out today. In terms of graphical upgrades, this one is the best imo. I also loved getting an indirect taste of Prime 4 with the new control scheme.

Super Mario 3D All-Stars - I could finally play Super Mario 64 on Switch (my favorite game of all time) and most importantly Super Mario Sunshine was no longer trapped on GameCube. I was especially excited for Sunshine since I had one of the GameCube copies that had the infamous Nokia Bay Blue Coin glitch which forever prevented me from 100% completion. Finally I was able to do it on Switch!

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury - While I have mixed feelings on the speed increase, new online play is a complete game changer and Bowser’s Fury is incredible.

Trails From Zero - Both the first official release in the West and the definitive edition of an excellent RPG. The quality of life bumps and enhanced graphics are awesome and the structure of the game with saving anywhere makes it perfect for Switch.

I was watching a Youtube video a few months ago about how low budget sitcoms or even mid budget action drama shows like you would see on USA Network were very profitable for companies but they have since abandoned that model for overly expensive shows to draw people to their money sink streaming services. I can see something similar happen in games where companies spend hundreds of millions into very game so draw enough people to their subscription services when simply selling a game directly to a smaller audience would have been more profitable.

Does Pixar have anything coming out this year? It'll probably be the frontrunner at the Oscars because the eligible voting population don't give two shits about the animated category beyond what their kids wanna see lol
Pixar has Elemental, while Disney has Wish. I think a big animated film to watch for Oscar buzz is Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, given the critical reception of the first film. I don't follow animation super closely so I'm not very informed about the smaller studios, so there could be other notable competition.

One thing that makes me sad about streaming and subscription services is when there's no option to buy-to-own. I'd like to always have the option to eventually buy the media that's on these services. I imagine people into video game preservation in the age of cloud and digital games feel similarly.

Nintendo is gonna absolutely DOMINATE the entertainment industry in April/May. The Mario Movie and TOTK. Jesus, no wonder why they didn't feel the need for a June game. This might be the strongest non-holiday quarter Nintendo has ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom