• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST18 March 2023| The physical version of ST18 will be available in stores next month

Status
Not open for further replies.
1678576413412.png

all the scalpers are gonna get that gorgeous classic pokémon card set
all the scalpers are also gonna get that lightsaber

and all the scalpers are gonna get the Switch 2

all the scalpers will soon own all the things

we will then have to do what my parents did and make our own toys out of sticks

Okay.

I think the reason why I feel embarrassed by note-taking a video game is because I feel that it "just shouldn't be done" and that it's "just not done" in general.

Like, I'm somehow doing something wrong or strange.

I... may actually note-take for my video games.

I don't know why I feel embarrassed by it, but I think that it will actually help with my playing.

Why do I feel embarrassed by this?

Why?
I still do this, I started as kid so just feels natural to me. Filling out those notes sections in the instruction booklet was part of the fun for me.

My problem is I often end up tossing them out somehow, and I regret that. I think it would be neat to save them have like a mini scrapbook of things I played.

I don't know why I feel embarrassed by it, but I think that it will actually help with my playing.

Why?
Nothing bad with that, I do that with notion. Since I usually play 1 hour in the week is normal to forget some things or when there's something interesting. Right now I'm playing Octopath 2 and for each town I take notes of people I couldn't take items and return. Or in Atelier (specially the older ones) to know where to find certain items.

Here's a video on that

I recently saw some gameplay again from the games and was surprised how slow they felt actually. I am actually thinking of getting my Gamecube again and get a HDMI converter for it to play Tales of Symphonia (the proper way).
I’ve replayed those games dozens of times so I actually appreciate how quick the battle animations are in the newer titles lol. I actually leave them on cause they really fluid.

I’ve never seen more than 10 minutes of animations on PoR and RD in all my playtime in those titles lol. Turn those off both on chapter 1 on both games cuase it was slow. And the Wii had trouble with RD on the prologue lol

I should one day use emulation. Don’t think my Wii will last much longer. It’s a launch unit.

Okay.

I think the reason why I feel embarrassed by note-taking a video game is because I feel that it "just shouldn't be done" and that it's "just not done" in general.

As someone who used to play games in the 80s and 90s, this is not the case. Many games gave you notebooks with the manual because they expected you to take notes. It's perfectly normal.

As someone who used to play games in the 80s and 90s, this is not the case. Many games gave you notebooks with the manual because they expected you to take notes. It's perfectly normal.
It was in fact such a thing that Tunic riffed on it with copiously annotated pages.

You're more than normal, @merp .

I don’t think the RTX mod for Half-Life looks very good. I prefer the original lighting.

Cool tech experiment though. Probably works better for games where the lighting wasn’t done with painstaking intent.

Last edited:
I've returned from the GaaS fields after hate grinding for garbage in Destiny 2. Spent a few hours doing the most boring quests which I'm still not done with it just so I can get a handcanon that shoots green shit that I'll probably never use. Think I'll unwind with some Octopath II.

Don't forget to set your clocks ahead an hour tonight, my fellow Americans.
On one hand I'm ready for this. On the other, we should get at the very least a few hours of Monday morning off to help ease into the work week or something. Call it National Coffee Morning or something.

Almost missed this anniversary, I thought someone would have posted about it *cough @chocolate_supra *

EDIT: Oh crap, you DID post about it in the RPG thread! I should never have doubted you

Okay but you get extra points because you posted a picture that actually has the ever-elusive Toriyama's face.

one of? More like THE GOAT
Agreed

Okay.

I've been taking notes during Octopath Traveler 2.

It’s kind of amazing how good a fit Bayonetta ended up being for Nintendo’s library. I wonder who gave the ok for funding Bayo2.

We don’t have a better thread for it so I’ll post here. Hyped for Bedman? in Strive! (Season 3 was announced too!)

My brother can relate to this. About half of the hours he puts into a game is him messing with the settings lol
It's almost like messing with the settings becomes its own game, in a sense. And now with the Steam Deck in addition to my PC, I can also tweak the system's own power consumption, easily access the GPU clock, try out different Hz values for the display on the fly, mess with Proton versions... Argh.

It's the complete opposite of what was the case in the first 3-4 years with the Switch for me, where I simply picked it up and played a game. Now that I spend more time on PC, I have only finished one single game ever since the end of 2021. 😂

If I was less obsessed with trying to optimise my gaming experience (which ultimately leads me to not game much at all, lol - the irony), I'd just set a framerate, graphical settings, and resolution for any given PC game and play away. Alas...

Why?
Zelda TOTK in the UK Nintendo store has an option to come with a notebook as a promotional item, I take that as a sign! :D

I’ve always taken notes during play, particularly Zelda, Metroidvanias, rpgs, anything with environmental puzzles or places to return to later with new items and skills. Or games with side quests but no quest log.

Mostly I jot down weird stuff I can’t interact with yet, it’s always really useful if I get stuck or hit a difficulty spike as I have a list of things to go back and try to figure out again.

The original LoZ on NES I meticulously mapped out on a big bit of paper, it was so useful, particularly the location of bombable walls back when they didn’t give you many hints.

I've been taking notes during Octopath Traveler 2.
It’s worth doing- there’s sidequests and at least two hugely powerful postgame bosses that aren’t automatically flagged up on the minimap with a gold star, that only listening to NPCs will lead you to. I’m still finding them now. Not to mention the hints given at the guilds of where to look for weapons etc. It’s also always worth sticking a toe into high level areas you find just to have them appear on the map.

I’m glad the game has a comprehensive quest log listed by location but I also really like that it rewards investigating stuff on your own too.

I actually really liked the uniform red labels on switch games at first. But the larger my collection gets the more I wish there was variation. I can spend like way too long looking over my collection trying to find a specific game and miss it several times. Yet anything on ps2 or GameCube or literally any other system pretty much I can see what I’m looking for a mile away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom