• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST Oct. 2021|

Status
Not open for further replies.
playing them as they come out is how you're meant to play them imo. you're seriously missing out
No kidding? I feel like I could get sorta hazy on the story and characters a little too easily if I play them piecemeal like that.. unless they're structured to stand more separately? Like does chapter 2 pick up right where 1 left off and depend on 1 for a lot of its narrative, or is it more sort of its own thing?

No kidding? I feel like I could get sorta hazy on the story and characters a little too easily if I play them piecemeal like that.. unless they're structured to stand more separately? Like does chapter 2 pick up right where 1 left off and depend on 1 for a lot of its narrative, or is it more sort of its own thing?
there is an overaching narrative, sure, but its definitely episodic like an old tv serial and it's designed to get back into. the cultural experience of playing the new episode is really fun.

that said, I just remembered that the next parts are allegedly going to come out in just two big chunks, so at this point I guess you might as well wait.

The OoT Water Temple hate has always been overblown. It's tricky in spots in the original version, sure, but it's not THAT bad. The water temple equivalent in Oracle of Ages is SOOOO much worse
Switching boots is painful in the original. The clunkier movement in water doesn't help.

that said, I just remembered that the next parts are allegedly going to come out in just two big chunks, so at this point I guess you might as well wait.
But now you kinda have me wanting to be a part of the zeitgeist. LOL

When does Famiboard members get Xenoblade 2 badges for everyone 🤗
They should be of Nia!
I swear to the architect god if there were something I could do to get a Pandoria badge, I'd fuckin do it.

You guys are seriously unable to enjoy Ocarina of Time because of some reflections and fog BS?

I've spent hours in OoT and I feel like I'm home, I honestly feel sorry for anyone who lets graphics get in the way.

I mean, it's literally playable
This feels like the new SWSH trees

You guys are seriously unable to enjoy Ocarina of Time because of some reflections and fog BS?

I've spent hours in OoT and I feel like I'm home, I honestly feel sorry for anyone who lets graphics get in the way.

I had a lot of fun with it as well. Of course it looks a little worse because of the lack of fog, but… that’s it? The game itself is still a gem.

I can understand if folks want to enjoy a better version after paying a big price for it.

Tho I often call Ocarina of Time one of my all time favorite games after beating it multiple time as a kid in the n64. I’ll admit I wouldn’t have noticed anything off. But I recall I noticed something off in Paper Mario on Wii U and Wii so I guess it’s different for some folks.

It's pretty puzzling why the official emulators on switch have been ace, but suddenly the N64 emulator is arguably worse than the one on the Wii. No reason for a massive outrage, but I get why some people are confused.

Its not that people can't enjoy it, it's that they're like:
JFLjqAL.jpg

Last edited:
I just lost 3 hours of Super Mario 64 progress by accidentally loading a save state instead of saving a new one 🤡

Kill me now

I once lost 70 hours in FF VII when I accidentally saved over my main file with a new one. I was right at the end too. Had to replay the whole damn thing.

Could be. Fog was implemented as a mechanic to hide stuff that wasn’t loaded in, so it helped a lot with performance. Because some games had to implement it for performance, they started designing the games around it (a good example is Silent Hill on PlayStation). Nowadays we don’t need it anymore for performance, so it could be that’s a reason why they got rid of it. For example Hyrule Field in OoT looks great now, as you can look much further now than you used to. I also think Choco Mountain looks better in Mario Kart 64 since I like that I’m able to look a little further ahead, but that’s a personal preference that I understand not everyone will share.

The problem is that removing or reducing fog works on an emulator or game level. Turning off fog in Ocarina of Time turns it off in every instance in the game that makes use of fog. So while Hyrule Field looks better with reduced fog, other places (like Kokiri Forest and the Water Temple) look much worse because it was used there as an atmospheric effect. It won’t be possible to reduce fog in one area, while keeping it in another, without digging into the game code and adjusting it per room/area and they obviously aren’t gonna do that, since that would be way too much work for something only a small percentage of people would notice.

The best case scenario would be to give us the option to adjust emulator settings on a game by game basis. That way we could decide for ourselves if we want more or less fog in our game etc. Homebrew emulators do the same, so it should be possible here as well. But I don’t think Nintendo wants to give customers the ability to do so as it would unnecessarily complicate things for the average consumer who just wants to play some classic games.
I think a "reduce fog" button in the settings that you could toggle would be the best way to go about it, with the button on by default. The button should apply to all games across all the app rather than trying to have people adjust it on a game by game basis to keep it simple.

I prefer the reduced fog look to be honest. That choco mountain picture looks better on Switch, you can see the track railing much farther ahead, which is for the best in a racing game. I'd rather have a better draw distance. N64 couldn't output hd video but they put that in. Cutting down the fog is a plus in my book.

Something I find weird for 2022 is that Nintendo has 3 strategy game for next year, 4 if we count the rumored FE game. Are all those going to make it? I feel they should at least try to delay one.

That genre isn't as friendly as others.
Add in Metal Slug Tactics, Digimon Survive ( if that comes out lol), Marvel's Midnight Suns and I guess Monark

As a huge tactics fan tho next year is looking amazing

Heard there was input lag as well, also they messed up the online in Mario kart?

Heard there was input lag as well, also they messed up the online in Mario kart?
I don't think there are any games that require precise enough input timing where the latency matters.

What can you not do in online Mario Kart?

Wait—have you not played NSO N64 yet? You seem to be one of the most vocal people about these issues, I figured you were experiencing them.

It's fine if you're able to enjoy it, but 'playable' is a pretty low bar for a multi-billion-dollar company that is charging double the previous subscription price (in Australia anyway).

It's fine if you're able to enjoy it, but 'playable' is a pretty low bar for a multi-billion-dollar company that is charging double the previous subscription price (in Australia anyway).
I don't feel like it's necessary to try to find something to gripe about.

If you're paying more than $10 a year for the Expansion Pak family plan, why?

Here's a thread where you can set up a family plan with other people on this site.

I don't think there are any games that require precise enough input timing where the latency matters.

What can you not do in online Mario Kart?

Wait—have you not played NSO N64 yet? You seem to be one of the most vocal people about these issues, I figured you were experiencing them.
Havent played it just hearing the problems from others, want to wait for some kind of patch at least before I get it

I don't feel like it's necessary to try to find something to gripe about.

If you're paying more than $10 a year for the Expansion Pak family plan, why?

Here's a thread where you can set up a family plan with other people on this site.
This seems like a very odd way to frame the complaints. People aren't just looking for something to gripe about, they're annoyed at Nintendo for charging a lot more for a service that has launched with several different issues.

Played through the first dungeon in Ocarina of Time. I think this game has the possibility of being considered one of the greatest of all time. I don't know. I got a gut feeling about it.

I have a small issue. I have an individual membership for NSO. My friend is getting a family membership that I'm going to be a part of, however my membership doesn't end for another few months. Is that just a cost that I have to eat or is it possible to contact Nintendo for credit on the individual membership?

Arlo is probably my favorite Nintendo YouTuber. He’s just so darn passionate. Plus I love the puppet.
I prefer passion-fueled hot takes to click-fueled hot takes. His reaction to the Dread reveal is my favorite. His joy is palpable in it. And him being basically a Muppet (is it still a Muppet if it's not Henson-built?) helps a lot. 😅

Last edited:
Never understood the hate for Arlo, aside from his Origami King comment towards the devs, he always seems fair with the games he reviews.

That's fine if these issues don't bother you but this holier than thou attitude is really shitty to be honest. To say it's just the fog is pretty reductive too.

Definitely a fun night when you see nonsensical anti-vaxx shit on Facebook that you like correcting :)

Never understood the hate for Arlo, aside from his Origami King comment towards the devs, he always seems fair with the games he reviews.
I love Arlo. I just enjoy listening to him speak and I respect that he isn't afraid to really dig into negatives on things he loves. Never really understood the hate towards him.

Quoted by: Yzz
Definitely a fun night when you see nonsensical anti-vaxx shit on Facebook that you like correcting :)

I love Arlo. I just enjoy listening to him speak and I respect that he isn't afraid to really dig into negatives on things he loves. Never really understood the hate towards him.
It's a hot take, but Nintendo fandom (not sure if other big fanbases have this) just has this 'positive toxicity' thing that consists of attacking the person if they express grievances, instead of discussing said grievances.

It's a hot take, but Nintendo fandom (not sure if other big fanbases have this) just has this 'positive toxicity' thing that consists of attacking the person if they express grievances, instead of discussing said grievances.
Oh, many do, even more nicher fandoms. Its just an internet thing. Twitter especially.

I think people need to calm down a little. Let's discuss something that unifies the community like Paper Mario games, Fire Emblem characters in Smash Bros, the greatness of Skyward Sword, and paying $60 for Wii U ports.
I love Paper Mario 64, never cared for Fire Emblem, I absolutely adore Skyward Sword and it was actually the game that got me back into Zelda and Nintendo after a decade of being an Xbox fanboy, and the Wii U was seriously one of my favorite systems and I don't need to pay for ports because I have all the games they keep porting already. 😅

Am I doing it right?

I'm sad to admit that in OoT, I instinctively tried to use the analog stick to swing my sword and I got punished for it.

Or what about how much better Xenoblade 2 is than the first?

I think we can all agree on that :coffee:
My extremely lukewarm and non-confrontation take is that I think I've decided I like them about equally. Both have their pros and cons and things they do better than the other, but on balance I think they pretty much match up for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom