• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST Oct. 2021|

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if we give NSO Expansion about 24 hours to sort the misinformation and nonsense, what are the confirmed issues with the N64 emulation, and what is technically feasible to fix if enough resources are spent on it?

I'll be honest I'm seeing a lot of tweets back and forth showing screenshots but I still can't get an idea of what's legitimately bad and what's using flawed methodology. Has anyone even yet hooked up an N64 to a capture card?

N64 is just a myth like Polybius. Don't let those internet rumors trick you into thinking it was real.

I genuinely enjoy the (Project) XYZ names, haha. Sure, they're super basic, but that's exactly what makes them so charming to me. On point, no fluff, you know what you're in for, heh.
Exactly. It's not taking everything too seriously and edgy and yet managing to be extremely direct approach.

I don't know why I'm sharing this with this thread but I'm the guy who can't play phone games in landscape mode. If i can't play it in portrait mode I will fall off the game almost immediately. So if you ever got mad at Mario Kart Tour launching with that awful control scheme, I'm sorry, it's my fault.

I don't know why I'm sharing this with this thread but I'm the guy who can't play phone games in landscape mode. If i can't play it in portrait mode I will fall off the game almost immediately. So if you ever got mad at Mario Kart Tour launching with that awful control scheme, I'm sorry, it's my fault.
I'm also that guy, if I can play in portrait and with one hand that's the way for me!

Looks like Neptunia x Senran Kagura might be getting Switch and PC ports.
Cool that it is happening, but I wonder why none of the mainline Senran Kagura games have come to Switch yet, I think they would sell really well. I also think Switch would be the only console platform for games like this these days.

Exactly. It's not taking everything too seriously and edgy and yet managing to be extremely direct approach.
Get ready for the Octopath Traveler sequel:
Dark Fantasy of Shadow Dragon -- Destiny of a Fallen Hero -- (Gold Deluxe Edition)

It's funny how all of the discourse is now seemingly on just OoT and not only that, but one particular room in OoT. It seems like the discussion about input lag was tabled when people started finding out it wasn't as significant as early impressions made it out to be so that hyperbolic energy needed to be focused elsewhere.

I'm sitting here thinking, forget about the damn Water Temple, what about, you know the other 99% of the game?

It's funny how all of the discourse is now seemingly on just OoT and not only that, but one particular room in OoT. It seems like the discussion about input lag was tabled when people started finding out it wasn't as significant as early impressions made it out to be so that hyperbolic energy needed to be focused elsewhere.

I'm sitting here thinking, forget about the damn Water Temple, what about, you know the other 99% of the game?
I’m really waiting for people to discuss the emulation quality on the 8 other games. I’m not saying they’re perfect and people are nitpicking, but the conversation right now is dominated by OOT discourse and while I think the OOT stuff feels rushed and could use some extra polish, I’d like to know how the emulation ended up on the rest of the games?

The only thing I’ve heard about any other game is that Star Fox 64 might be an excellent emulation job and might be the definitive version of the game? (not including the 3DS version)

I’m really waiting for people to discuss the emulation quality on the 8 other games. I’m not saying they’re perfect and people are nitpicking, but the conversation right now is dominated by OOT discourse and while I think the OOT stuff feels rushed and could use some extra polish, I’d like to know how the emulation ended up on the rest of the games?

The only thing I’ve heard about any other game is that Star Fox 64 might be an excellent emulation job and might be the definitive version of the game? (not including the 3DS version)

From what little impressions I read, the other games seem to run fine and look fine. You would think that getting impressions about these games would be a lot easier than OoT considering they are shorter. But if these games are running well enough, then there's less stuff to get angry about which is probably why few people are talking about them.

Well you know the Water Temple is everyone's favourite dungeon ever. (Actually I didn't think it was that bad even playing the GC port)

It does seem like the dust is settling and we're now getting a clearer picture after the initial flurry of "An imperfection? Burn them!"

On the other hand, while it does seem that it is much more serviceable, there are some notable flaws that should be beneath Nintendo if they want their brand to mean anything so I hope that they don't just rest on their laurels with this.

That's the big problem with Twitter rage storms. No doubt the likes of Nintendo is deaf to it and that means legitimate areas of improvement get thrown out for the hyperbole.

BTW you're all the simps, not me. I didn't sign up for the bloody thing.

Here at work when I could be home playing OoT or Dread. Doesn't help that a coworker is mad at me for something out of my control and not even my fault anyways.

I've been stuck on this project for years trying to get to save this woman's house. Her home is in a floodplain. The town approved the construction of an extension to her home. So she built. Well then the state found out and it's against the law to construct in the floodplain (her existing from was already grandfathered into the state rules). But because she added an extension, they are making her tear down her entire house. It was her town's responsibility to review the state rules and not approve of the extension but she can't sue her town because they basically have a "Can't sue us if we fuck up" law. So the state told her that if she can prove to FEMA that her extension doesn't increase flooding to anybody else, they'll let her keep her home.

After years of on and off work, I think we have demonstrated to FEMA that she extension poses no increased risk. So the final step is for the signature of the town but because this project took so long, there is a new town official and he's weary of signing off on it. Ugh.

I've been stuck on this project for years trying to get to save this woman's house. Her home is in a floodplain. The town approved the construction of an extension to her home. So she built. Well then the state found out and it's against the law to construct in the floodplain (her existing from was already grandfathered into the state rules). But because she added an extension, they are making her tear down her entire house. It was her town's responsibility to review the state rules and not approve of the extension but she can't sue her town because they basically have a "Can't sue us if we fuck up" law. So the state told her that if she can prove to FEMA that her extension doesn't increase flooding to anybody else, they'll let her keep her home.

After years of on and off work, I think we have demonstrated to FEMA that she extension poses no increased risk. So the final step is for the signature of the town but because this project took so long, there is a new town official and he's weary of signing off on it. Ugh.
Get him a copy of Metroid Dread and an NSO expansion pack sub to grease the wheels.

All I know is im glad I didnt get NSO day 1, by the time I get it maybe a patch will be out for some of these games

But then he'll reject it because he'll think 2D games aren't worth $60 and the water in his least favorite Zelda dungeon wasn't just right.
That's when you spring the trap: point out that the extension can't possibly cause the type of flooding that happens constantly in that dungeon resulting in weirdly muddy water with no reflections.

Send Uncle Paulie

paulie-walnuts-tony-sirico.jpg

I can't wait for you to get to the Dark Link room to discover that the water has actually been replaced with the water from Wind Waker.
Nah it's actually been replaced with a texture that's just the text: The Internet Was A Mistake

The glories of red tape. Working for the government, I know what its like to have things take tons longer than reasonable. Sounds like you have the political dynamic to deal with as well.

The glories of red tape. Working for the government, I know what its like to have things take tons longer than reasonable. Sounds like you have the political dynamic to deal with as well.

My boss is the the one dealing with people directly. I'm just the one doing the actual engineering. I submit my analysis to FEMA and have been going back and forth with the review for months/years but it looks like she is finally done with sending more comments.

<embedded quote redacted per user request>

Nintendo considers Xenoblade Chronicles DE a Remasters and that feels more like a remake to me.

Hell, even Skyward Sword is reaching that remake feel to me.

the cool thing about the word remaster is that it doesn't mean a single god damn thing
Indeed. People talk about "remaster vs remake" as if there's a specific line between the two, but there isn't. Publishers will call it what they want to call it even if it seems generous/modest for the game.

And before that it was the videos featuring people with poor connection struggling to play online that were quickly dismissed by the majority showing it working fine. It really couldn't be more transparent... it just makes me laugh to realize those are now the far majority of voices over there with the core Nintendo community being here.

One final detour. The reddit comment I found saying you don't need the bow to get the longshot was correct - if you have Din's Fire. They failed to mention that.

The term "remaster" is like the term "second-party." Nobody agrees on what it means. I have a specific idea in my mind of what second-party means, I even looked it up on Wikipedia and their definition coincided with my idea, and then I said something on the forum about such and such game being second party and was promptly told by many how wrong I was.

And you better believe the exact same thing happened in the Xenoblade sub when I expressed my opinion about XBDE there (and even provided quotes from the people who made the game to support my position) and was rather emphatically told that not only was I wrong, but the developers were liars. 😂

So basically, words are dumb. Play video games.

the cool thing about the word remaster is that it doesn't mean a single god damn thing
I always understood that there are three ways to rerelease a game:

- a port, which is just taking one game, exactly as it is, or with minimal changes, and putting it onto another console. An example would be Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. It was originally a Wii U game which was ported (with the minor addition of Funky Mode) to the Switch.

- a remaster, which is taking a game and improving some number of aspects of it, for example the visuals, while keeping the underlying code and framework the exact same, and releasing it on a different console. An example would be Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition.

- a remake, which is a from-the-ground-up re-creation of an original work. An example would be the recent Famicom Detective Club remakes.

I'm still annoyed about the Dark Link encounter in OoT because that's an iconic scene in an iconic game and Nintendo of all companies should get it right.

That being said, the conversation around the NSO update rapidly spiralled into toxicity and hyperbole in plenty of places and it's drowned out the fact that the Mega Drive emulation and selection is top tier. Seriously I'm in work in the morning and here I am on Mean Bean Machine.

I really hope this is the exception and not the rule, because if isn't then Nintendo really screwed N64 games on NSO. This feature was the greatest advantage NSO had over traditional emulation.

It sounds like online works decently enough if you're playing with people in your country/region. Playing people overseas is always gonna be more difficult and have more issues for any online game.

All this talk of NSO is drowning out the fact that Schaffrillas Productions just made a great video about Pikmin.

The IP turns 20 years old today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom