• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST Oct. 2021|

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds like online works decently enough if you're playing with people in your country/region. Playing people overseas is always gonna be more difficult and have more issues for any online game.
The fact that NintendoLife made a video about this made me think that it was an issue. I think I fell into the clickbait lol.

It sounds like online works decently enough if you're playing with people in your country/region. Playing people overseas is always gonna be more difficult and have more issues for any online game.
There's a reason games like Rocket League or Halo MCC give you the option to block servers, because playing with people overseas can be a real pain, even if you're on ethernet. I ended up having to do that with Rocket League as the game kept putting me on South American servers (I live in the northeastern US), so my ping was sky high even when playing on a gigabit wired connection.

the cool thing about the word remaster is that it doesn't mean a single god damn thing
Yeah I hate how some people try to explain the difference between ports, remasters and remakes everytime this comes up as if it was clear cut.
Butt it just isn't, there's tonnes of examples for either meaning.

So I guess we are getting the Metroid Prime on the Switch, but in what form is still up in the air.

The fact that NintendoLife made a video about this made me think that it was an issue. I think I fell into the clickbait lol.

I have not tested online myself but based on later impressions it seems like people are able to get decent games. It of course depends on your connection.

Buy playing games with people across the ocean is typically a nightmare. Most online games will try to restrict players to their own regions and will usually only enable cross region play if the player count is too low or people are directly trying to play with each other.

It's funny how all of the discourse is now seemingly on just OoT and not only that, but one particular room in OoT. It seems like the discussion about input lag was tabled when people started finding out it wasn't as significant as early impressions made it out to be so that hyperbolic energy needed to be focused elsewhere.

I'm sitting here thinking, forget about the damn Water Temple, what about, you know the other 99% of the game?

The input lag is still being talked about, and now according to Nintendo Life, we're talking about 8 frames of input lag. That. Is. Awful.

Regarding fog, It's not only one room in OoT. Anywhere that had fog in the N64 version is now gone. For example, the fog obscuring the Great Deku Tree in Kokiri village is missing. Fog wasn't only to hide draw distances but also used strategically for atmosphere in a lot of areas.

It's affecting Mario Kart 64 and Star Fox 64 as well and it's extremely frustrating for folks to be having these issues when people are paying a giant premium for this.

BCK0eIS.png

The input lag is still being talked about, and now according to Nintendo Life, we're talking about 8 frames of input lag. That. Is. Awful.

Regarding fog, It's not only one room in OoT. Anywhere that had fog in the N64 version is now gone. For example, the fog obscuring the Great Deku Tree in Kokiri village is missing. Fog wasn't only to hide draw distances but also used strategically for atmosphere in a lot of areas.

It's affecting Mario Kart 64 and Star Fox 64 as well and it's extremely frustrating for folks to be having these issues when people are paying a giant premium for this.

BCK0eIS.png
Is it possible that they decided to remove or reduce fog intentionally? Like, they think it looks better overall?

Is it possible that they decided to remove or reduce fog intentionally? Like, they think it looks better overall?

No shot. Fog helps with performance and I doubt they'd want to screw up how the games originally looked. Seems to be a bug or oversight with developing their new emulator with the Switch's Vulkan API.

y'know, unlike this time last year we have a really strong idea of what next year will look like

there are all sorts of ways to shuffle them around, but we could be looking at something like this

January: Pokémon
February/March: Advance Wars
April: Kirby
June: Splatoon 3?
July/August: Xenoblade, maybe???
September: Metroid Prime Remastered
October/November: BOTW2

obviously we're missing a couple things, but there aren't too many "slots" left to guess. personally I have a little bit of hope for tomodachi

I'm probably in the minority here, but I think all the comparison shots showing the games with the fog and without look better without the fog. I know that in some instances the fog was used on purpose, but I like the look without it. The Mario Kart comparisons look way better to me with the cleaner look. I understand if you prefer the other shots though. This kind of stuff is so subjective with how much it bothers you or not. I'm just glad that I'm seeing better examples of the imput lag not being that bad and the online working better then it was first thought. It still should be better though. It's an online service with online in the title, the online should be a non issue.

y'know, unlike this time last year we have a really strong idea of what next year will look like

there are all sorts of ways to shuffle them around, but we could be looking at something like this

January: Pokémon
February/March: Advance Wars
April: Kirby
June: Splatoon 3?
July/August: Xenoblade, maybe???
September: Metroid Prime Remastered
October/November: BOTW2

obviously we're missing a couple things, but there aren't too many "slots" left to guess. personally I have a little bit of hope for tomodachi
Nintendo's game for March is Triangle Strategy

Sigh. I waited so long to just be able to play OOT on my Switch to replay it for the first time in a decade and after a few hours I caved and now Im playing it at 1440/60fps on Citra instead. Modern gaming ruined me

BCK0eIS.png
Looks like the Switch version still has fog, just not as much of it.

No shot. Fog helps with performance and I doubt they'd want to screw up how the games originally looked. Seems to be a bug or oversight with developing their new emulator with the Switch's Vulkan API.
Performance I'm sure is not an issue on the hardware.
That would be extremely weird and out of character for Nintendo. It's probably an emulator error
True but this was seemingly developed by NERD and not EPD, so who knows if they had different ideas on the matter.

5.5 hours later:
xKYbQ06_d.webp

I should sleep

As someone who just played OoT for 5.5 hours, gone is wrong. It's reduced significantly, but definitely there.

I think that modder that suggested the strength of the fog was related to resolution was on to something.

5.5 hours later:
xKYbQ06_d.webp

I should sleep

As someone who just played OoT for 5.5 hours, gone is wrong. It's reduced significantly, but definitely there.

I think that modder that suggested the strength of the fog was related to resolution was on to something.
I only wish I could give you more than one "yeah" for your service.

I only wish I could give you more than one "yeah" for your service.
I'm pretty sure you gave more than one along the way

You were right though, learning various skips to get myself out of jams was fun

I guess I should consider myself lucky that I got used to input delay in N64 games ages ago thanks to subpar emulation. Sin & Punishment plays exactly as I remember it.

Something I find weird for 2022 is that Nintendo has 3 strategy game for next year, 4 if we count the rumored FE game. Are all those going to make it? I feel they should at least try to delay one.

That genre isn't as friendly as others.

I always understood that there are three ways to rerelease a game:

- a port, which is just taking one game, exactly as it is, or with minimal changes, and putting it onto another console. An example would be Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. It was originally a Wii U game which was ported (with the minor addition of Funky Mode) to the Switch.

- a remaster, which is taking a game and improving some number of aspects of it, for example the visuals, while keeping the underlying code and framework the exact same, and releasing it on a different console. An example would be Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition.

- a remake, which is a from-the-ground-up re-creation of an original work. An example would be the recent Famicom Detective Club remakes.
This is exactly, exactly how I look at it.

I also wrote like two or three more paragraphs but then I had one of those "nah, not worth stirring that pot" internet moments and deleted. 😅

I'd take a native port to be honest.

Maybe with some control upgrades.
Honestly the prime hack mod on dolphin is already great with widescreen support and mouse and keyboard controls. I probably would want something more If I want to rebuy on switch but that's just me. Would be disappointed if its just a native port.

Hey, Johnny uploaded his next video in his Metroid series. This time for Metroid Fusion.

(I hope you guys like Metroid)

Could be. Fog was implemented as a mechanic to hide stuff that wasn’t loaded in, so it helped a lot with performance. Because some games had to implement it for performance, they started designing the games around it (a good example is Silent Hill on PlayStation). Nowadays we don’t need it anymore for performance, so it could be that’s a reason why they got rid of it. For example Hyrule Field in OoT looks great now, as you can look much further now than you used to. I also think Choco Mountain looks better in Mario Kart 64 since I like that I’m able to look a little further ahead, but that’s a personal preference that I understand not everyone will share.

The problem is that removing or reducing fog works on an emulator or game level. Turning off fog in Ocarina of Time turns it off in every instance in the game that makes use of fog. So while Hyrule Field looks better with reduced fog, other places (like Kokiri Forest and the Water Temple) look much worse because it was used there as an atmospheric effect. It won’t be possible to reduce fog in one area, while keeping it in another, without digging into the game code and adjusting it per room/area and they obviously aren’t gonna do that, since that would be way too much work for something only a small percentage of people would notice.

The best case scenario would be to give us the option to adjust emulator settings on a game by game basis. That way we could decide for ourselves if we want more or less fog in our game etc. Homebrew emulators do the same, so it should be possible here as well. But I don’t think Nintendo wants to give customers the ability to do so as it would unnecessarily complicate things for the average consumer who just wants to play some classic games.

square enix, right? did octopath affect the 2018 schedule?
I was going to say Nintendo didn't really have enough output that year to say either way.

Then I remembered they released Captain Toad on the same day. So no. Nintendo is the publisher in the west for both Octopath and Triangle, fwiw.

Something I find weird for 2022 is that Nintendo has 3 strategy game for next year, 4 if we count the rumored FE game. Are all those going to make it? I feel they should at least try to delay one.

That genre isn't as friendly as others.
What's the third? I can think of Triangle Strategy and Mario + Rabbids.

Edit: oh yeah Advance Wars got delayed.

I was going to say Nintendo didn't really have enough output that year to say either way.

Then I remembered they released Captain Toad on the same day. So no. Nintendo is the publisher in the west for both Octopath and Triangle, fwiw.
interesting, thank you. the silly name games are pretty far removed from my mind, but @storres is right anyway that advance wars will probably not land near a (perhaps superficially?) similar game

maybe we'll get advance wars in may or even over the summer

I always understood that there are three ways to rerelease a game:

- a port, which is just taking one game, exactly as it is, or with minimal changes, and putting it onto another console. An example would be Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. It was originally a Wii U game which was ported (with the minor addition of Funky Mode) to the Switch.

- a remaster, which is taking a game and improving some number of aspects of it, for example the visuals, while keeping the underlying code and framework the exact same, and releasing it on a different console. An example would be Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition.

- a remake, which is a from-the-ground-up re-creation of an original work. An example would be the recent Famicom Detective Club remakes.
- Nomura's way: it's a remake, but it's actually a sequel. Also applied in Pokemon remakes for some reason.

Last edited:
Protip- if you're feeling intestinal distress and your kid begs you to give them a piggyback ride upstairs it's probably not a good idea to give in.

I watched that Pikmin Bloom trailer and I'm still trying to understand two things:
1: What is it?
2: How did we get a Pikmin mobile game before a nintendogs mobile game????

deltarune is even scarier

chapter 1: 2018
chapter 2: 2021
chapter 3: 2024
chapter 4: 2027
chapter 5: 2030
chapter 6: 2033
chapter 7: 2036

toby fox will be 45 by then
Raccoon don't do this to me, dude. I'm already holding off on chapter 2 because I wanna play the whole game as one when it's done. I can't handle this sort of pain.

I've entered the Water Temple.

Fortunately, I actually like this place and did it not all that long ago.
The OoT Water Temple hate has always been overblown. It's tricky in spots in the original version, sure, but it's not THAT bad. The water temple equivalent in Oracle of Ages is SOOOO much worse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom