• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST 12 Sep 2022| Trails From Splatoon 03

The First Fami Splatfest: Which Team Will You Join?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Luigi's Mansion 3 is one of my favorite Switch titles. Next Level Games are so good with their animation and personality.
It is a shame Strikers seems to be so forgotten and ignored so soon. It does feel a bit lacking. It it my first Strikers and it IS very fun and amazingly animated, but it would be nice with more to do to break the standard Matches up a bit

I want a Mission Mode, with unique themed events. Have a match where there is a Chain Chomp in the middle of the field constantly. Or a Match where your teammates are Wario and Waluigi and they cheat by not passing to you, so you have to overcome bad teammates to win.
Stuff like that

@Magic-Man 2021: "I don't get why people get attached to their cars. It's just a replaceable means of transportation"

@Magic-Man 2022: "I would die for my car"
It’s weird but I’m there with you. I wish we had non-sucky transit here so I wouldn’t have to own a car, but we don’t, so I do. But I really really like my car. I spend way too much money on it but I love it anyway. It is blue and it is cute and, as much as it pains me to admit, I do like having a transportation method that is always clean and that I don’t have to share with random screaming people.

If I want to go get something from a convenience store I can just…hop in my car and go there. It feels liberating.

It’s weird but I’m there with you. I wish we had non-sucky transit here so I wouldn’t have to own a car, but we don’t, so I do. But I really really like my car. I spend way too much money on it but I love it anyway. It is blue and it is cute and, as much as it pains me to admit, I do like having a transportation method that is always clean and that I don’t have to share with random screaming people.

If I want to go get something from a convenience store I can just…hop in my car and go there. It feels liberating.
I think I just have so many memories in mine. I took it across the country and back AND moved to Orlando. I've been practically living in it all year. It's awesome.

@xghost777 since you were asking about my hand. Want to say that the overall pain has not been as bad as it’s been. I’m still having trouble holding stuff but the pain isn’t nearly the problem as it once was. I was able to play my first game over the weekend since this thing started the end of July, and that was Mario kart 64 on NSO. I played it for a little bit.

Since I still have trouble holding things, I will take it easy when I hopefully get my steam deck tomorrow

@Magic-Man 2021: "I don't get why people get attached to their cars. It's just a replaceable means of transportation"

@Magic-Man 2022: "I would die for my car"
I'm in such deep regret over selling one of my cars ten years ago that I'm now actively working towards saving up to buy another one just like it, just to have the feeling back that driving it gave me. The people from back then fucked me over, work from back then fucked me over, school fucked me over, the only damn thing I could depend on to bring me the happies was that car.

And then it went and got all pOpULaR and eXpEnSiVe but since none of those other parts of my life have gotten any better I figure dumping an unjustifiable amount of money on the one thing from my old life that I can actually get back is, in fact, justifiable.

At least that's what I tell myself every time I see one come up for sale. 👀

I do wish we had better cross country public transportation. High speed rails as an alternative to planes would be fantastic.

SVe5a10.jpg

As someone who isn't hugely into horror movies or games I always found it funny when people did horror marathons during October. It feels like ramadan for Christians.
I'm not even a particular Halloween person, but I like to go with the vibe.

Only game I’d consider for Halloween would be trying to knock ghostbusters switch port out of my back log

As someone who isn't hugely into horror movies or games I always found it funny when people did horror marathons during October. It feels like ramadan for Christians.
I've thought about doing one this year. I'm not a big horror guy, definitely like some horror films, but y'know, there's a certain type of horror movie fan and I do not fit that profile. But it would be nice to break out of my box a little bit in that regard, perhaps.

Bayo 3 will be my Halloween game. And incidentally the first game I've played since Arceus in February.

I've thought about doing one this year. I'm not a big horror guy, definitely like some horror films, but y'know, there's a certain type of horror movie fan and I do not fit that profile. But it would be nice to break out of my box a little bit in that regard, perhaps.
Yeah, same. I do love me a few horror or horror-adjacent movies like The Witch and (most of) Hereditary but I feel like I enjoy them differently than horror movie fans lol. I do try to give horror films (and games) a chance but there's not that many that I find very appealing.

Oh Gundam evo has an xbone version? Guess I could actually try it… No G Gundam rep yet sucks tho. Asshimar or Turn A speak to me I guess

Guess who just bought dead space 2 and who hopes to play it before the remake comes out? Played the original dead space years ago and loved it but never 2. Bought both games this time on steam

I completely did not have time last to answer the Week 2 prompt so here goes:

What is your favorite anime and/or cartoons and why? Share the OPs if you want!

I'm a big Ghost in the Shell junkie, with the original Standalone Complex run being the highwater mark for the series. I just loved the way the show was structured with episodes alternating between the main plot and one-offs that explored other facets of the world and society. They even had a single episode that was nothing more than 25 minutes of civilians speculating in an online chat room about the events so far, and it was completely captivating the first time I watched it (not much of a reach there given how much I hang out here). The characters are all great, and while some get a lot more screen time and development than others it's just a group of professionals who are there to do their thing and do it well.

And the Yoko Kanno soundtrack? Perfection. I'm still salty they couldn't get her back for 2045.

I'm not going to link the OP because what I really wanted to highlight here is the OP from GitS's older sibling: Patlabor.

Patlabor has a special place for me since it was among the first anime I ever saw. Well, technically it's among the first anime I sought out and knew was anime. Growing up in the 80's I was pretty much indoctrinated to like anime with all the stuff that snuck in through Transformers, random stuff on Nickelodeon, video games, etc. But in high school I started to get a little anime curious and started asking friends for suggestions. One guy I knew handed me a handful of licensed dubs for Slayers and the first two Patlabor movies.

Slayers was pretty alright (I have no idea how well it holds up to a 2022 lens though), but Patlabor always stuck with me. Especially the second film with it's techno-thriller leanings which just resonated with me as I was going through a phase where the intersection of technology and political machinations was deeply fascinating.

It wasn't until later that I discovered that the Patlabor movies were also done by Production I.G. a few years before their breakout hit with Ghost in the Shell. And going back to rewatch the second movie a couple years ago I was absolutely struck by how much these two films felt like practice runs for GitS, especially the second one. Political machinations? Check. Kenji Kawaii soundtrack? Check. Exquisite bubble-economy animation? Check. Deeply introspective moments with action scenes pepper in? Check. Basset hound? I'll get back to you on that one.

Anyways, enough with the preamble. Here's the OP for Patlabor The Movie 2:

And this is probably my favorite Kenji Kawaii track of the movies I've seen with his involvement:

(I'd embed the scene but you all should just watch the movie)

In an amusing coincidence, I was listening to an older Retronauts (patron exclusive) episode yesterday that talked about Nintendo Power and the game counselors and some of the swag the early ones had, I think including that jacket

Awesome post! I never saw it from start to finish, but I did enjoy some Ghost in the Shell on midnight Toonami. Wish it and Patlabor were on Crunchyroll so I could check them out. The scene you shared from the movie looked awesome! We just don’t get shows/films that really look like that anymore which is a shame.
It depends a little bit on how much work can be done to such a release.

If a full remake is on the table I'd have to say Okaeri! Chibi-Robo! Happy Richie Ōsōji! on DS or Chibi-Robo! Clean Sweep as it has been dubbed by fans. We never got the original in the West even though it's apparently a great followup to Plug Into Adventure. I have not played the DS version but if it's really similar to the GameCube game it would fill a nice niche on the system.

If it's just a remaster, I'd have to say EX Troopers. I love the visual style they were going for (even if it probably partially cost us a localization in the end) and just like most Capcom action games it's mechanically intriguing. As for improvements, I'd say the input (or execution?) delay need to be toned down and difficulty should be rebalanced to make it harder.

Have to think harder about the second question!
I never connected much with the GameCube Chibi Robo and yet I still really like the character. I have the amiibo even. Would love to play more of his games and I remember seeing bits of that DS one, it looked neat. I would love to have played EX Troopers, real shame they never brought that over.
Question 1: I want the rest of the 3D Nintendo Rare games on Switch. So DK64, Banjo-Tooie, and Star Fox Adventures. I know popular opinion of these games is that they were all significantly worse than Banjo-Kazooie, but guess what: popular opinion is wrong^! If I had to pick just one of those games, it would have to be DK64. That was my first^^ game on N64 and hence on a home console, and it blew me away. I took me I think years to beat it (not playing the whole time, but still), and there's just something about it which makes it just feel so much bigger than any other N64 3D platformer. You may complain about the bloat, but again, you are wrong^.

^My opinion on these games certainly has nothing to do with nostalgia. Certainly not. It doesn't have anything to do with the fact that DK64 was my first^ home console game, or that I also played, beat, and loved the other two during my childhood, or that I never played Banjo-Kazooie until I was an adult. Nope. Certainly nothing to do with those facts at all.

^^Technically, the "first" honor was shared with S.C.A.R.S., which was mediocre and didn't even same my progress for some reason, and some golf game I never cared about at all.

Question 2: For me, my favorite Famiboards memory is the period from when we first brainstormed the idea to shortly after launch. We really went from "we should make our own forum!" to actually doing it in an absurdly short amount of time, and the energy those early discussions had was just incredible. There were for sure some teething issues at the beginning (hell, there's teething issues now) but it was just so thoroughly outweighed by the "Everyone is here!" moments we would get as more and more NintendoEra regulars made the jump. Even now, with over 3,000 members, we still get the occasional new member whose name makes me go "holy shit they're here!" But we've also got so many new faces (names?) that have seamlessly slotted into the community, and it's been really great seeing the site grow beyond "the NintendoEra thread, but a whole forum".
I like both Donkey Kong 64 and Banjo Tooie. Of the three (including original Banjo) I probably also like DK64 the most. It’s a really involved game with a ton of fun objectives and challenges and the worlds it paints are so cool. It does objectives that are infuriating, but they sort of add to its character. I don’t know when exactly, but one day I’m determined to get 100% completion on that game. I’ve done it for both Banjo’s, I can do it for Donkey Kong.

That’s really cool hearing about the creation of Famiboards. I wouldn’t have been able to finally join this community if y’all hadn’t decided to move forward and make your own forum since I’ve never had a paid email. Always thankful, this community has been so much fun to be a part of!
@xghost777 since you were asking about my hand. Want to say that the overall pain has not been as bad as it’s been. I’m still having trouble holding stuff but the pain isn’t nearly the problem as it once was. I was able to play my first game over the weekend since this thing started the end of July, and that was Mario kart 64 on NSO. I played it for a little bit.

Since I still have trouble holding things, I will take it easy when I hopefully get my steam deck tomorrow
I’m glad to hear the pain has subsided. Yeah until you can get it properly identified and treated, I’d hold off anything too strenuous just a little while more. You really don’t want to permanently damage it.

Guess who just bought dead space 2 and who hopes to play it before the remake comes out? Played the original dead space years ago and loved it but never 2. Bought both games this time on steam
Nice! Does the remake hit in January? If so, it's going to be another busy Q1 between Dead Space, Fire Emblem, Kirby Return to Dreamland, RE4 Remake, and whatever Nintendo might be cooking up for March.

Awesome post! I never saw it from start to finish, but I did enjoy some Ghost in the Shell on midnight Toonami. Wish it and Patlabor were on Crunchyroll so I could check them out. The scene you shared from the movie looked awesome! We just don’t get shows/films that really look like that anymore which is a shame.

I never connected much with the GameCube Chibi Robo and yet I still really like the character. I have the amiibo even. Would love to play more of his games and I remember seeing bits of that DS one, it looked neat. I would love to have played EX Troopers, real shame they never brought that over.

I like both Donkey Kong 64 and Banjo Tooie. Of the three (including original Banjo) I probably also like DK64 the most. It’s a really involved game with a ton of fun objectives and challenges and the worlds it paints are so cool. It does objectives that are infuriating, but they sort of add to its character. I don’t know when exactly, but one day I’m determined to get 100% completion on that game. I’ve done it for both Banjo’s, I can do it for Donkey Kong.

That’s really cool hearing about the creation of Famiboards. I wouldn’t have been able to finally join this community if y’all hadn’t decided to move forward and make your own forum since I’ve never had a paid email. Always thankful, this community has been so much fun to be a part of!

I’m glad to hear the pain has subsided. Yeah until you can get it properly identified and treated, I’d hold off anything too strenuous just a little while more. You really don’t want to permanently damage it.
I probably won’t go too crazy to stir it up again, so I will take it easy tomorrow when I play it
Nice! Does the remake hit in January? If so, it's going to be another busy Q1 between Dead Space, Fire Emblem, Kirby Return to Dreamland, RE4 Remake, and whatever Nintendo might be cooking up for March.
January. Really excited. Dead space is one of my favorite horror games and I wanted to replay the original before the remake came out and the deck can play it at 60 fps which is even better,. I’m stoked for the remake. Day one

I think about doing horror marathons but then I remember that I eat at Weeny Hut Jrs so I end up not doing it.
I really want to try Immortality on PC after all the gushing I’ve heard about it, but it’s also horror and spooky I hear, and I’m also a giant wimp. So we’ll see. At the least, I will do a Bloodborne run, it’s nearly time.

I will say even though Magic Man was nice enough to gift me Xenoblade before my hand issue flared up, I probably won’t start it or longer games for now until I am certain things can truly get better with my hand. Even when it’s better, I will tackle smaller games or quick multiplayer games for now.

I don’t feel comfortable with big games right now so I may even skip Pokémon

Halloween is all about getting excited for the Halloween events in your favorite GaaS games, only to be disappointed because the free shit stinks and the good shit costs a ton of money.

I'm kinda bored of my steam deck. I bought it to play PS exclusives and other games I can't play on Switch(I mostly play mobile). The machine gets super hot and the screen ain't lit(pun intended). Also, my favorite game isn't optimized for it(GTA5). I will say this, the power in this thing is beastly. It can run games pretty well for a handheld device. Maybe I just have to wait a bit longer and it's true value will come out.

I do appreciate Rebecca Sugar's efforts to make lgbt themes and characters more prevalent in animation, but as a writer she really sucked.

She was only great when reigned in by other people, such as Pendleton Ward (creator of adventure time). AT is where her best stories are.

AT's lgbt ventures were also far superior, there is no relationship in SU like Bubblegum and Marceline, which if im not mistaken was suggested by Sygar too, which only proves how she cant be alone.

fruitlessly hoping for a FE direct in December to do some last minute showcases of some shit before FEE releases the month after. If Xenoblade could get a direct before release, don't see why FE can't either :d

Me as I hopefully wait for my steam deck tomorrow

Soon @Imitatio , soon. Yes, I will take things easy with my hand but my slow download speeds means that it will take things a while to get a game like oblivion downloaded. I do have some roms on a flash drive prepared in the meantime

I’m starting to seriously consider the Steam Deck. Is the anti glare screen really worth it or should I just go for the 256GB?

I dont get this idea. Why would nintendo twitter announce the r3makester? Unless they are going to announce a metroid direct, i truly dont get it.
Announcing a Metroid Direct would create higher expectations than dropping something out of the blue. We don't know if they're ready to talk Prime 4 yet, and if they're not, they'd probably need to say so ahead of a Metroid Direct, and then the pre-announcement just comes confusing.

Dropping an announcement without notice sidesteps any expectations.

I do appreciate Rebecca Sugar's efforts to make lgbt themes and characters more prevalent in animation, but as a writer she really sucked.

She was only great when reigned in by other people, such as Pendleton Ward (creator of adventure time). AT is where her best stories are.

AT's lgbt ventures were also far superior, there is no relationship in SU like Bubblegum and Marceline, which if im not mistaken was suggested by Sygar too, which only proves how she cant be alone.
bruh this is a terrible take

bruh this is a terrible take
Am i allowed to say cope and seethe. But i mean, that is your opinion, i have mine.

Also forgot to answer misterspo and i dont want to clutter the thread even moremso.... why not just announce the so called remakester in the general direct?

you really wanna tell me Adventure Time, where the only canon gay relationship isn’t canonized until literally the end of the last episode, is superior representation to anything in Steven Universe?

don’t get me wrong I have great joys in both and bones to pick in both

but saying Rebecca Sugar is a terrible writer is an opinion I simply cannot fucking abide

Also forgot to answer misterspo and i dont want to clutter the thread even moremso.... why not just announce the so called remakester in the general direct?
Nintendo's marketing has been a little weird this year, including both the mix of things they chose to promote in Directs and the decision to split up first party news over the summer.

you really wanna tell me Adventure Time, where the only canon gay relationship isn’t canonized until literally the end of the last episode, is superior representation to anything in Steven Universe?

don’t get me wrong I have great joys in both and bones to pick in both

but saying Rebecca Sugar is a terrible writer is an opinion I simply cannot fucking abide
No, my mistake. I mean, i do consider this almost relationship that they had until Come Along With Me to be much more pleasant and better written than su's shenanigans but it would be simply senseless to say AT did more, that is true. (Massive points to obsidian for simply being exactly what fans asked for tho)

I want to address the horrible writer part too. I misused the word sucked lol. I dont think she is awful, su has a few very good episodes, but her best works definitely werent from her own show.

Last edited:
No, my mistake. I mean, i do consider this almost relationship that they had until come along with me to be much more pleasant and better written than su's shenanigans but it would be senseless to say at did more, that is true. (Massive points to obsidian for simply being exactly what fans asked for too)

I want to address the horrible writer part too. I overused the word sucked lol. I should have elaborated more that i dont think she is awful, but her best works definitely werent from her own show.
I still disagree but I can abide a difference of opinion with those qualifiers

and or I’m too hungry and tired to make more than one indignant post about it

I will also not be specifying further because I’m hungry and tired

is it a 2009 novelty t-shirt website in here because right now it’s lookin’ pretty threadless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom