• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST 12 Sep 2022| Trails From Splatoon 03

The First Fami Splatfest: Which Team Will You Join?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway, I should be arriving back in the United States from the DR on Sunday.

So that should be fun.

I enjoyed my time here. Missed the place, even.

RDT_20220917_1404515649849474242071535.jpg

So people are finally discovering that Sonic Frontiers may actually be a good game?

I never doubted that it could be; I feel people can be too demanding when a game is first revealed, imho.

It’s weird because we also got TT2 as a Wii U launch title. I would’ve expected Namco to try again by now.
I could look pass the lack of Tekken 7 port (even though is an old ass game on Unreal, and they had plenty of opportunities to sell a content complete version with all the DLC), but porting Tag 2 from Wii U with all the Nintendo costumes and modes wouldn't be asking too much, huh?

Maybe they're waiting for GBA on NSO so they can give us Tekken Advance lol

I had the pleasure of playing F-Zero AX (the arcade version of GX) for a little bit today.

The hydraulics are intense!

I like Jeff Grubb but I don't see why people are so inclined into this insider shit. Like, yes, I get it, clicks and clout, but given how fucking hysteric people can be, I don't see those being worth taking the risk.

So people are finally discovering that Sonic Frontiers may actually be a good game?

I never doubted that it could be; I feel people can be too demanding when a game is first revealed, imho.

Sakurai just lost 459k subscribers

No need for apologies.

I know Jeff joined the community here, and I don't know if he's watching and reading now, but I will tag him just because I'd like to address the video but also treat Jeff like a regular ol' nerd who, like the rest of us (I assume), is human and makes mistakes. By joining here he's a member of the community, so hopefully he still feels able and welcome to chat to us about his content.

So - @jeffgrubb - I hope you don't mind me tagging you, but I was taken in by your certainty that the ports were coming. But no harm done! For me, while I'm fascinated by leaks and rumours, it's more interesting to me because of what it says about the how and the why of Nintendo, as opposed to any emotional attachment to what I might get to play. It's an intellectual exercise, like a puzzle or a long form game of Wordle, rather than a case of confirming my heart's desire. Funnily enough, I think a lot of people had convinced themselves the two ports were coming long before your video was out. I know when the Zelda delay was announced this year, the common wisdom then - here and on other sites - was that one or both games had to come out this year so that Nintendo stuck to their annual Zelda release pattern.

What's also funny, considering I was convinced by your video that the ports would actually arrive in 2022, was that before that, I was certain there was no need for them. You say in your video above that it can be difficult to make sense of leaks and information (like why Nintendo have had a finished project at Retro Studios for 12 months without announcing or releasing it). In Zelda's case, I think it's pretty simple thinking from Nintendo on why the ports aren't here yet.

The gap between new Zelda games is the longest it's ever been. From Nintendo's perspective, what if it's (heaven forbid!) 2029 before the next new Zelda is ready? That's a lot of calendar and fiscal years to go through where they'll want Zelda to have a persistent presence. Even if they've got a new 2D game off the ground and a third Hyrule Warriors, that's still 3 or 4 Zelda-less years. If they hang on to their Wind Waker and Twilight Princess ports, then one or two of those 'empty' years have a Zelda presence.

I think, for Nintendo, the stretch between Tears of the Kingdom in May 2023 and the next new Zelda at an unknown point in time is a more pressing concern than the just-under-two-years between Skyward Sword HD and Tears of the Kingdom.

(My phone tried to autocorrect to Teats of the Kingdom giggles)

I didn't think I cared about the leaks at all so I'm very surprised at how disappointed I am that I won't be playing Wind Waker this fall
That's the emotional connection to the actual content, though, which I think is what drives a lot of people to be unhappy and angry at leaks and rumours that don't pan out. Healthier to be able to separate the two things, but I get why people can feel so strongly about it (good videogames are a refuge for me when my health is bad, as is the online community, because I can't do the "real world" very much).

On an emotional level, I would welcome as many games as possible (that I like) on Switch because that's my preferred way to play games. I was really disappointed Mass Effect never cropped up, until I had a Series S and was able to get the remasters that way. I'm still disappointed Square Enix haven't got their shit together and put the Pixel Remasters out. And sure, part of me wishes the whole damn Zelda series was on Switch.

That's the emotional connection to the actual content, though, which I think is what drives a lot of people to be unhappy and angry at leaks and rumours that don't pan out.
oh my god, that's why people get mad at leaks, because they're thinking about reality

that's so sad... I'm sorry leak haters

I didn't think I cared about the leaks at all so I'm very surprised at how disappointed I am that I won't be playing Wind Waker this fall
I'm considering emulating GameCube games when I get my steam deck. If they come to switch , fine I'll buy and play them but I'm annoyed it's taking too long

Speaking of leaks. What happened that the infamous DK by EPD Tokyo was "leaked" in a way. I thought they were leak bullet proof over at Tokyo, shame.
I think, though someone should correct me if I am wrong, that Nate now thinks this is happening.

We do know there are probably two 2D games in the works at EPD, and that one of them as at EPD Tokyo. Separately, we know there's activity around the DK IP (theme park etc). On my part, it's also simple supposition: Kirby, Yoshi, and Wario Land (RIP) are way less likely to be handled internally than Donkey Kong, which, at its peak, was way bigger than those series.

Grubb definitely has insider knowledge, EA comes to mind, but I think his Nintendo based stuff isn’t particularly strong. I still hope we get the WW and TP ports one day and Metroid.

That's the emotional connection to the actual content, though, which I think is what drives a lot of people to be unhappy and angry at leaks and rumours that don't pan out. Healthier to be able to separate the two things, but I get why people can feel so strongly about it (good videogames are a refuge for me when my health is bad, as is the online community, because I can't do the "real world" very much).

On an emotional level, I would welcome as many games as possible (that I like) on Switch because that's my preferred way to play games. I was really disappointed Mass Effect never cropped up, until I had a Series S and was able to get the remasters that way. I'm still disappointed Square Enix haven't got their shit together and put the Pixel Remasters out. And sure, part of me wishes the whole damn Zelda series was on Switch.
The only thing holding me off from wanting me to get the pixel remasters on steam deck because when I do I just know they're gonna be announced for switch and I rather get the games on switch

Finally getting around to watching the Disney+ versions of the Star Wars movies and god damn, does A New Hope look great in 4K or what?

I hear the Yeah Yeah Yeahs will have a song about us on their new album.

If Crazy Taxi ever comes to the Switch, the OP on the thread announcing it should only say 'Okay' and then be Yeah'd five times.

That's All I Want to see there.

I think, though someone should correct me if I am wrong, that Nate now thinks this is happening.

We do know there are probably two 2D games in the works at EPD, and that one of them as at EPD Tokyo. Separately, we know there's activity around the DK IP (theme park etc). On my part, it's also simple supposition: Kirby, Yoshi, and Wario Land (RIP) are way less likely to be handled internally than Donkey Kong, which, at its peak, was way bigger than those series.
Yep, Nate confirmed that he heard about DK game developed at Tokyo, so now I have no doubts about it at all.

I realized while playing Beyond Oasis last night is it Is possible to save your game at a very bad time and it be impossible to continue the game. Even rewind and save states won't help. So it is possible to get stuck and having to start over again.

We've seen many takes on the franchise by outside studios, and according to DK Vine (Hyle) Nintendo wanted to bring Donkey Kong "home", so that'll be very interesting moving forward.

Retro Studios allegedly wanted to move away from Metroid Prime, and now they're forced to be back at it again.

The only thing holding me off from wanting me to get the pixel remasters on steam deck because when I do I just know they're gonna be announced for switch and I rather get the games on switch
This has been me with every videogame that could feasibly be on Switch. I held off on Mass Effect Legendary Edition for like a year, then caved in a half price sale. Even something like Tunic - which is on GamePass but which I'd love to play in portable on the OLED screen - has me thinking twice about how to play it.

I'm just a great big portable gaming nerd.

This has been me with every videogame that could feasibly be on Switch. I held off on Mass Effect Legendary Edition for like a year, then caved in a half price sale. Even something like Tunic - which is on GamePass but which I'd love to play in portable on the OLED screen - has me thinking twice about how to play it.

I'm just a great big portable gaming nerd.
I ended up picking mass effect for free during prime day which I'll be playing on my deck eventually

Tunic is one game I rather play on switch. Some games I'm just gonna choose to get on switch over the deck

I'm rooting for DK to be real because it would now be one of the longest rumour to reveal cycles. I think DK Vine first pushed the story in 2020, maybe? And we're going into 2023 without it yet being a real thing. Metroid Prime HD I'm counting as 12 months and ongoing; not counting the initial Trilogy talk because that seemed to be bunk.

Plus, EPD Tokyo are great. The gaming world will be a better place if they're big enough to make both 3D Mario and Donkey Kong games.
Finally getting around to watching the Disney+ versions of the Star Wars movies and god damn, does A New Hope look great in 4K or what?
Thanks friend - I've just now realised this is an option for me.

If it wasnt for the kyoto 2d posting it could have been a 2d Mario game, but since kyoto have a 2d game too posted one year before the only other possibilities are :
Tokyo and Kyoto are working together on the same 2D Mario (dont make much sense)
its a Yoshi game (Good Feel make those)
its a Wario Land Game (no way)
besides DK the only other thing remotely possible its a New 2D plaformer IP (never tought of the possibility before)
even without insiders dk makes sense

I'm rooting for DK to be real because it would now be one of the longest rumour to reveal cycles. I think DK Vine first pushed the story in 2020, maybe? And we're going into 2023 without it yet being a real thing. Metroid Prime HD I'm counting as 12 months and ongoing; not counting the initial Trilogy talk because that seemed to be bunk.

Looked it up, just in case. The "real" story came out early last year and it seems to have been in development for a while, but it's not something to worry about I think. This was one of the earlier hints:

Its only speculation, but probably the only reason Odyssey 2 still not there its because TOKYO was working on 2 projects at the same time,to delay a mainline Mario game, it would need to be a very important project,something guaranteed to sell millions, or maybe it just was rebooted mid-development or Odyssey 2 was finished long ago and nintendo is holding it to release with the Film or Drake

Maybe they had some delays due to covid and are now holding off the DK game a bit to tie it in with the opening of the Donkey Kong land at Universal Osaka ? I can imagine a DK segment in next year’s September Direct announcing a new DK game for November, a Game & Watch and the opening of the land for Q1 2024

Its only speculation, but probably the only reason Odyssey 2 still not there its because TOKYO was working on 2 projects at the same time,to delay a mainline Mario game, it would need to be a very important project,something guaranteed to sell millions, or maybe it just was rebooted mid-development or Odyssey 2 was finished long ago and nintendo is holding it to release with the Film or Drake
Or Odyssey 2 was cancelled and they're working on a different 3D Mario game.

I hope that affair shows that leakers are often wrong. People jump to "plans change" as a catch-all defense but as Grubb shows here, sometimes it's just a fuck-up on their part. And of course, there are a bunch of grifters too. Fair play to Jeff for coming out and being honest, even if (as he admits) it hurts his credibility. In a way, it makes him more credible to me to admit it.

My main issue with leaking things and getting them wrong is when there's a profit motive involved (driving clicks and podcast views etc) and there's no way of verifying whose real and who's fake it makes me feel pretty damn queasy about the whole thing. I don't take part in the whole leak culture, but it's impossible to avoid if you want to discuss video games these days, which is a shame.

Isnt it possible any of the projects mentioned in the job hirings have since then been canceled or rebooted? The gap between Odyssey and today is as long as Retro's gap between DKCTF and the announcement they would be handling Prime 4, and we can infer that they had a canceled game in that time frame.

Also we have seen marketing cycles for the big internal EPD games get longer after the initial Switch launch year. Zelda is an extreme example of 4 years, but we also had Animal Crossing and Splatoon each do a 1.5 year announcement to release window and a similarly long window is coming for Pikmin 4.

Welcome to the farm sim cult, we have giant turnips and freshly laid eggs. But no kidding, RF4S is fantastic.

Speaking of demos, I just played through several that I had downloaded on my Switch:
  • DioField Chronicle is sort of like an RTS, because I felt like I wanted a mouse to control my units. The control scheme is decent for what it is, and it’s a tidy AA JRPG. Overall though I don’t think I’ll be picking up the game.
  • Tinykin was pretty good. I love love love the Toy Story-esque vibe of the levels. The controls aren’t that smooth (not bad but it’s missing that last 10% of gamefeel tweaking) but it’s at least mitigated by the generous glide ability. I roamed around the second available map for around half an hour and decided to stop, because I’m definitely buying the game.
  • Jack Move initially ensnared me when I saw its battle screen, and it really is cool. Kind of basic turn order battle system; the full game might open up more on that front.
  • Sol Cresta looks kinda ugly. Not stylish at all. I do dig being able to assume different formations with your ship, though I’m not sure what advantages those confer. Seems fine and had a neat gimmick but there are other, better shoot em up experiences on the system.
  • Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure All Star Battle is passable. Its gamefeel didn’t really click with me, it felt a little stiff. Nonetheless it was worth playing just to have Jolyne beat up Dio.
  • Resident Evil 8 Cloud Version I’m pleasantly surprised wasn’t a lag fest.
  • Anno Mutationem kinda surprised me with its exploration segments. Kinda cool moving in a 3D environment peppered with spritework.
So basically it’s really only Tinykin that I’ve decided to buy, which reminds me that demos apparently hurt video game sales. Sorry devs but please keep on making demos, they really help inform my purchase decisions
I've played some of the older HM and RF games and got the true ending for SV. My issue with this world of farming sims is I get to a point where I'm basically in cruise control until the "ending" and I end up never actually finishing it 😅

Yeah. I'm sorry, but that is absolutely not happening and I'm afraid he's going to get blasted for that later. Honestly I'm not sure if it's real at this point. It could be something Nintendo made up to catch sources and Retro made something else instead. This whole situation has been downright bizarre.

I dunno, it would be weird that he felt enough shame about the Zelda ports to make an apology video, and then in that same video double down on MP remake for Holiday if he wasn't absolutely certain about it. I think he also vowed to shave his head if it didn't happen.

I'm also curious if there's evidence of Nintendo using misinformation to catch leakers. If only there was a member here who's an ex-Nintendo employee who may know...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom