• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

I'm a Starfox fan and I don't want a "pure Starfox experience" as that "experience" was due to technical limitations of its time. Yeah I want Adventures remake and on top of that I want a sequel directly from Rare.

Every Nintendo franchise is getting their revolutionary entry one by one and it's Fox's turn. We need McCloud of the wild, full open world space exploration game with slick 3d space combat. Next game needs to take more from Adventures and Assault rather than 64. We all saw the results of a 64 inspired game in 2016.

Exactly, no one wants an on rails shooter again. Nintendo is leaving a lot by not utilising Star Fox, there's so much you could do with the space theme.

It would make sense for Miyamoto to give his last spin to StarFox now that Pikmin is finally taking off, it would be the last of his beloved IPs that hasn't found success. I still hope other IPs get a shot before StarFox tho, we got so many attempts at StarFox and so little for F-Zero, Golden Sun, Custom Robot etc... I know Miyamoto didn't contribute to those, but it's not fair that Shiggy gets the priority so often.

It would make sense for Miyamoto to give his last spin to StarFox now that Pikmin is finally taking off, it would be the last of his beloved IPs that hasn't found success. I still hope other IPs get a shot before StarFox tho, we got so many attempts at StarFox and so little for F-Zero, Golden Sun, Custom Robot etc...
Yeah, specially golden sun.

This has been my personal hope for a while.

I don’t think it’s likely, mind you. But I DO think a remake or remaster or the first Chibi-Robo! is the best shot for the series to have any sort of future. Zip Lash doesn’t feel fair to go out on. If they do a remake and it still flops? The series can at least die with dignity.

I think since a "Gamecube NSO" is seemingly unlikely, I feel like Nintendo going to be using that era in the upcoming generation as remaster content. Considering that there is a huge demographic of Switch owners that never played these games blended with the outcry of the re-release of many of these games from adults who played them as kids, choosing to put resources into remastering / reimagining well-received titles is success with lower stakes.

Evidenced by:
  • Super Mario Sunshine
  • Metroid Prime
  • Pikmin 1 + 2 (Not New)
  • Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (Upcoming)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (Rumored)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Rumored)
Remakes I think we'll see within the next generation:
  • Chibi-Robo
  • Kirby Air Ride
  • The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventure
  • Luigi's Mansion 1
  • Wario World
  • F-Zero GX
  • Animal Crossing
I'm just hoping we get an official release of a NSO-style wireless gamecube controller, even if we don't get Gamecube NSO ..

Edit: I would not hate the idea of a Gamecube "NSO" if all the gamecube games received the Super Mario Sunshine All-Star 3D treatment. But I would much rather prefer a Thousand-Year Door style remake, from what I've seen so far.

I think since a "Gamecube NSO" is seemingly unlikely, I feel like Nintendo going to be using that era in the upcoming generation as remaster content. Considering that there is a huge demographic of Switch owners that never played these games blended with the outcry of the re-release of many of these games from adults who played them as kids, choosing to put resources into remastering / reimagining well-received titles is success with lower stakes.

Evidenced by:
  • Super Mario Sunshine
  • Metroid Prime
  • Pikmin 1 + 2 (Not New)
  • Chibi-Robo
  • Kirby Air Ride
  • Luigi's Mansion 1
  • Wario World
  • F-Zero GX
  • Animal Crossing
I'm just hoping we get an official release of a NSO-style wireless gamecube controller, even if we don't get Gamecube NSO ..

Edit: I would not hate the idea of a Gamecube "NSO" if all the gamecube games received the Super Mario Sunshine All-Star 3D treatment. But I would much rather prefer a Thousand-Year Door style remake, from what I've seen so far.
I'd love most of those, in particular I don't see the following happening:

Four Swords Adventures due to it more being a... glorified GBA game and how much it depended on the GBAs being used.

Wario World was by Treasure who only exist as a one-man entity nowadays, but most of all is like... the most oddball, nichest of the niche Marioverse games bar those oddball western games like Mario is Missing. I think even Yoshi's Topsy-Turvy is less so as the team came back for two Yoshi games after. Maybe Wario: Master of Disguise by the late Suzak is more niche but that has DNA with the Land games in a way so...

Animal Crossing has no chance, even if it's my fav entry. Each is like a commitment and putting two on one system seems so unlikely. Just take elements from it for the Switch 2 entry, like a Jukebox to play its entire 24hr score would be sublime. Giving villagers attitude and more personality (plus justice for poor Resetti) would also be grand.

My 2 cents.

I'd love most of those, in particular I don't see the following happening:

Four Swords Adventures due to it more being a... glorified GBA game and how much it depended on the GBAs being used.

Wario World was by Treasure who only exist as a one-man entity nowadays, but most of all is like... the most oddball, nichest of the niche Marioverse games bar those oddball western games like Mario is Missing. I think even Yoshi's Topsy-Turvy is less so as the team came back for two Yoshi games after. Maybe Wario: Master of Disguise by the late Suzak is more niche but that has DNA with the Land games in a way so...

Animal Crossing has no chance, even if it's my fav entry. Each is like a commitment and putting two on one system seems so unlikely. Just take elements from it for the Switch 2 entry, like a Jukebox to play its entire 24hr score would be sublime. Giving villagers attitude and more personality (plus justice for poor Resetti) would also be grand.

My 2 cents.

Now that I think about it, a new Animal Crossing game that takes elements from the past makes more sense. Like a reimagining of the original Animal Crossing, with everything people loved about New Horizons, (and things they missed from previous games). Your jukebox idea is NECESSARY for the next game, set your favorite songs by the hour.

Granted, my theory with Four Swords Adventure is due to the hybrid nature of the Switch, that 2-4 people playing together would have each already have their own screen. Maybe throw in a fifth switch connect to the TV for the original experience? I'm already hoping the next Switch has an easy way to do an asymmetrical gameplay experience.

Didn't know much about Wario World so I appreciate that insight!

I love Wario World so I’d love to see a port of it for $20-$30 someday… or even better on a Gamecube NSO if that even happens (but I think that ship has sailed, for the time being).
Wouldn’t be surprised if Nintendo did revisit a 3D Wario in that vein again, though! It had fun beat-em-up elements.

But yeah, Treasure unfortunately doesn’t have the manpower for much more than a port…

Evidenced by:
  • Super Mario Sunshine
  • Metroid Prime
  • Pikmin 1 + 2 (Not New)
  • Chibi-Robo
  • Kirby Air Ride
  • Luigi's Mansion 1
  • Wario World
  • F-Zero GX
  • Animal Crossing

The other thing is, the GameCube library really isn’t that big- I make it 20 first party games that you can’t play on Switch (Or play an updated version, Mario sports games for instance), total.

And let’s be honest, at least half of those I’m not sure there’s much interest in. Who really wants Pokémon Colosseum on Switch? People aren’t exactly knocking down the doors demanding 1080 Snowboarding or Custom Robo get re-releases, fun as those games might be. They can make a tidy profit off the half the library people do care about, and pretty easily drop one game at a budget price per Nintendo Direct, as they’ve been doing lately.

Nintendo has Hagi, a full-fledged GameCube emulator they can use for those re-released. Wario World is unlikely to get a TTYD or Metroid Prime treatment, but it can get a cheap $15-20 Hagi port. Likewise, other "minor" GC games such as Doshin, Custom Robo, Battalion Wars, 1080° and Wave Race could get their cheap port.

FSA is trickier because it would require emulating 4 GBAs too, and you would still have to accommodate the user interface. If Nintendo wants to revisit that game, a remaster is more likely.

Nintendo has Hagi, a full-fledged GameCube emulator they can use for those re-released. Wario World is unlikely to get a TTYD or Metroid Prime treatment, but it can get a cheap $15-20 Hagi port. Likewise, other "minor" GC games such as Doshin, Custom Robo, Battalion Wars, 1080° and Wave Race could get their cheap port.

FSA is trickier because it would require emulating 4 GBAs too, and you would still have to accommodate the user interface. If Nintendo wants to revisit that game, a remaster is more likely.
Nintendo also has the original Four Swords they cns port from the DSi Anniversary edition.

Nintendo also has the original Four Swords they cns port from the DSi Anniversary edition.
Four Swords and Four Swords Adventures are entirely different games, though! The names suggest otherwise, but FS is a simple multiplayer game with 4 randomly generated levels, FSA is a full-fledged 2D Zelda game (albeit divided into "worlds" and "levels").

I'll take a sequel too, along with the remasters. Kuju, makers of the games, is still around, and worked on other Nintendo games since then (Art Academy). Maybe Nintendo needs to team up with them once again?
Err, not quite. Headstrong were absorbed alongside Zoe Mode, but the core issue is that key folks left. Seen Smoke & Sacrifice on the eShop? That was by Solar Snail, formed by both the director and art director that were at Headstrong behind the BW and Art Academy games... but both have since left and went their separate ways.

Headstrong's legacy is dead in the water unless they can find those folks or find suitable successors.

not credited doesn't have to mean not doing anything, it just means nothing shipped (yet)
yea i imagine hes involved in the new 3d mario but not doing anything in switch era outside of 3d mario, a port and a published indie is way too little compared to tezuka, eguchi and nogami who are in similar positions as deputy general managers.

Quoted by: N75
yea i imagine hes involved in the new 3d mario but not doing anything in switch era outside of 3d mario, a port and a published indie is way too little compared to tezuka, eguchi and nogami who are in similar positions as deputy general managers.
Well Koizumi is a Senior Officer too, so I imagine his role in direct game development is pretty limited outside of EPD 8.

With Hayashida seemingly moving to EPD 10, Kenta Motokura has probably taken over as EPD 8 manager.

Last edited:
Now that I think about it, a new Animal Crossing game that takes elements from the past makes more sense. Like a reimagining of the original Animal Crossing, with everything people loved about New Horizons, (and things they missed from previous games). Your jukebox idea is NECESSARY for the next game, set your favorite songs by the hour.

Granted, my theory with Four Swords Adventure is due to the hybrid nature of the Switch, that 2-4 people playing together would have each already have their own screen. Maybe throw in a fifth switch connect to the TV for the original experience? I'm already hoping the next Switch has an easy way to do an asymmetrical gameplay experience.

Didn't know much about Wario World so I appreciate that insight!
They should put a Gamecube as furniture in the next Animal Crossing game and you can play GC Animal Crossing on it.

I saw this post by Stealth, its about an interview with Ohashi with NCL (I dont see a date on the website). Its not a long segment but it goes into how the Wind Temple music was designed.

i noticed a lot of games, seen to be adapting dynamic music on it, is layer upon it other

Curious who's gonna be director on the next Mario Kart. Seems like Shintaro Jikumaru is the safe bet, as he wasn't involved with Tour/BCP (only special thanks on the latter). Maybe it will be joint direction with Shintaro Jikumaru too. Basically the same as with ARMS, only Kenta Sato will be missing as he was involved with BCP.

i noticed a lot of games, seen to be adapting dynamic music on it, is layer upon it other
dynamic music/sound has been common in games for well over fifteen years. probably even longer if you really look into it.

Last edited:
maybe to make development work faster and cheaper
Nintendo seems to have been standardizing it's tech throughout the Switch generation. From the various games that use the Bezel Engine, to nearly all internal EPD projects using ModuleSystem, and the games that run in third party engines like FE Engage on Unity or Pikmin 4 on Unreal.

It seems to me that the whole point of the Bezel Engine was to simplify development. As Nintendo has evolved with Nvidia's contribution, such an engine may no longer be necessary, and they can unify their tools to a certain extent. However, I hope that Retro, Monolith or NLG will continue to work on their own technology.

But why would IntSys go with a 3rd-party engine over even Bezel which they used for both WarioWare Switch games? 8ing being totally 3rd-party themselves I can get, but IntSys is all but 1st-party at this point and even alongside HAL create dev tools for Nintendo still, no? Just a very odd decision.

But why would IntSys go with a 3rd-party engine over even Bezel which they used for both WarioWare Switch games? 8ing being totally 3rd-party themselves I can get, but IntSys is all but 1st-party at this point and even alongside HAL create dev tools for Nintendo still, no? Just a very odd decision.
prebuilt libraries and tools become more and more alluring as upgrading and maintenance becomes more complex. this is a trend that you can see all throughout the industry

Not only are libraries and exciting documentation great given bigger scope, the hiring process is much easier. Nowadays alot of new grads already have experience on UE or Unity, making them ideal hires. That does not detract from using in-house tools, WW and I assume TYYD, use proprietary tools.

Updated now with the demo out.

RuRXNTL.png

Intsys and EPD/SRD programmers were using Unity for mobile games. If anything the core FE team worked on unity first for FE Heroes so maybe they continued that model.

EPD programmers including the leads on Pikmin 4 - used Unreal 4 and Nintendo even hired Unreal 4 programmers for unspecified work. I’m not sure why Unreal 4 was used in Pikmin 4 but I don’t think it was a subcontractors decision solely especially since Nintendo has used outsourced code in their first party games and engines before.

Dunno if old, but HAL are specifically hiring for another 3D Kirby. Hopefully for Switch 2 and a proper exploratory game like Odyssey. Not a fan of the fixed camera thing in Forgotten Land honestly.

Dunno if old, but HAL are specifically hiring for another 3D Kirby. Hopefully for Switch 2 and a proper exploratory game like Odyssey. Not a fan of the fixed camera thing in Forgotten Land honestly.

The job listings have been circulating for a bit

Looking through them again, personally nothing really jumps out that necessarily clocks them as jobs specifically related to a 3D game a la Forgotten Land; the art section mentions looking for artists that can do 3D animation, backgrounds, character models, etc, but those could plausibly still be for a game that plays in 2D like Star Allies (i.e. a sidescrolling platformer game that uses 3D assets as opposed to, say, 2D sprites), and the rest all seem pretty surface-level and nondescript

(to be clear, I think they most likely are working on another 3D game, I just don't think there's anything conclusive that can be gleaned from this)

It's for internal and owned subsidiaries
Small complaint then, but technically Monolith Soft is owned by Nintendo under an effective 96.7% share since 2013? Wouldn't they count?
I mean it doesn't really matter much overall because all of their titles (if i remember correctly) use Monolith Soft's own engine made for Xenoblade X, so XC2 and 3 would fall under Misc - Propritary, but still.

Back
Top Bottom