• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

To fill out the software roster this year and have a high-profile seller, do you think Nintendo could release DLC for Tears of the Kingdom?
Eiji Aonuma seemed pretty definitive in saying they were done, and no DLC was forthcoming. I don't see them going back on that in any meaningful way, and we shouldn't underestimate how long DLC would've taken (they can't necessarily churn out DLC for this year I suspect).

It also wouldn't surprise me if another Zelda franchise release was already scheduled for either 2023 and pushed back to 2024 following TotK's own delay, or simply scheduled for 2024 all along. A third Hyrule Warriors, for example, or something from EPD3 and Grezzo.

To fill out the software roster this year and have a high-profile seller, do you think Nintendo could release DLC for Tears of the Kingdom
i believe is more likely we have a remake of a older Legend of Zelda game(Oracle of Age/Season), Wind Waker/Twilight Princess HD or a brand new 2D Legend of Zelda game

To fill out the software roster this year and have a high-profile seller, do you think Nintendo could release DLC for Tears of the Kingdom?
The "team" has probably been disbanded. EPD 3 leads (Aonuma, Fujibayashi, Takizawa, Dohta, etc.) are almost certainly working on pre-production of the next 3D Zelda. Other EPD staff have likely been moved to other projects. Monolith, who had a significant role in BotW's DLC, have likely moved onto other projects too at this point.

Huh so they updated NST logo, guess this shows how nintendo is more confident in the company now.
With Mario Vs Donkey Kong doing a million in sales hope this translates to NST getting more solo projects would be really cool seeing them do Wave Race or 1080p again

also iforgot to say but i wonder who developed the game nintendo announced yesterday. maybe NERD for emulation and indieszero for the game itself? maybe epd tokyo like with nes remix? curious to see as usual

Quoted by: Tye
also iforgot to say but i wonder who developed the game nintendo announced yesterday. maybe NERD for emulation and indieszero for the game itself? maybe epd tokyo like with nes remix? curious to see as usual
indieszero is 100% involved, that much is obvious from there being UI elements and features that look like they were ripped straight out of the Switch versions of Brain Age and Big Brain Academy, which indieszero also developed.

I was looking at the credits of some EPD games and figured I would mention here now that the Switch is winding down.
I was curious how many staff overall worked on the games across the various games, so I went to Kyoto Report to figure out who is EPD and who is not. This is a lot better than mobygames, which has a lot uh, questionable credits listings. It can be very confusing at times with Mario Club and other developers, but I think I sorted things well enough.

These lists don't include producers, technical support, coordinators, or artwork, though I also tried to count them separately. Its a lot of stuff and I can't post just a doc, so I will post folders instead.

This is by position as well shared staff between games (it looks at the last credit, one list includes supervisor/support roles, and the other goes to the game before that since I wasn't sure what to go with) as well each year someone was lasted credited by position. I call these "help sheets" since they are supposed to help me come up with questions, but its probably not the most intuitive name.

The counting was what I was most interested in, though due note that I just wanted the closest I could get to the whole number throughout the Switch, even people who are confirmed to leave or contract are included. I wanna compare sizes between generations eventually as well.

The number was 773 unique names, and 913 if you include technical support, coordinators, and artwork credits.

Some neat things about this:
541 of the 773 were 2023-24 credits, and since 2019 is 725 staff listed. The majority of the ones from 2018 and 17 were likely contract, since left, Tokyo staff, or on mobile games/other uncredited stuff. Probably.

Either way, I think this doc might be useful if anyone wants to look at a bunch of names by year, it feels like a good springboard for me at least on stuff that confuses me and makes it easier to ask questions later, so I feel its worth sharing in case others are interested.

A question I have of my own is does anyone know what Yoshiki Haruhana and Yoichi Yamada have been up to? I cannot find anything on them after Link's Awakening.

This is just the EPD staff for all the stuff I looked at.

This one is art, planning, programming, and sound credits for EPD with all their Switch games (and one Wii U/3DS game to use for the dev team breakdown pages) These were a learning experience, and might include errors that are later corrected in the by individual game sheets.

This was fun for me to do, hopefully its useful if anyone takes a look. I was gonna try to do more percentage stuff the previous game of every game, but lost interest in that, but the listings are in the first folder under "staff source" in case people are interested.

EDIT: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/180w7p5MpdsFPFoVbZrIuBs0zHbl1R9Cx?usp=sharing
Forgot to include this, this is coordinator, tech support, artwork, and supervisor list for EPD. These are mostly names only, but probably should include anyways.. The most confusing one was all the Pokemon series coordinators, tried my best to get the ones who were EPD only for those.

All some notation stuff I should mention:
*= evidence they left the company (if its on a specific game, it means evidence they went from Mario Club to EPD, maybe anyway)
**= could be wrong company they are listed for, or in rare cases something that was interesting to me.
***= this was anyone who served more than one role so I don't list names twice, ex. someone both worked as a planner and artist throughout the Switch.

Last edited:
I dont know if this was posted

Its behind a paywall, but the two main takeways:

• Increased employee head count
  • Nominated 3 women to their board of directors

A question I have of my own is does anyone know what Yoshiki Haruhana and Yoichi Yamada have been up to? I cannot find anything on them after Link's Awakening.
Good catch on Haruhana! Neither of them seems to be at retirement age, so they may well both still be at EPD. There's always the possibility they left the company, or that, in Yamada's case, he's moved from EPD 3 to another group but is yet to be credited on anything.

However, knowing Yoichi Yamada hadn't been credited on anything for a few years, I'd wondered if he was either supervising or leading the next 2D Zelda. Maybe Haruhana is the graphics director for that. A few Grezzo staff also haven't had major roles on games since Link's Awakening, which suggests another EPD 3 x Grezzo collaboration could be in the works.

Edit - I'd also been wondering if 1-UP might provide development support for a 2D Zelda given their assistance on Triforce Heroes. It's too vague to tell us anything, but most of the 1-UP staff who assisted with Triforce Heroes (who are at least still with 1-UP, one or two have left) haven't been credited since 2018-2020, so didn't work on Bowser's Fury.

That timeline would overlap with both Yoichi Yamada's absence but also the hiring calls for new projects at EPD 8, where 1-UP would serve as a co-developer for the next 3D Mario at least.

Last edited:
  • Miyoko Demay: former president of Tiffany & Co in Japan
  • Eiko Osawa: Accounting background
  • Keiko Akashi: Accounting Background

Demay will be at Nintendo as an “outside director”, while Osawa and Akashi will be members of Nintendo’s audit and supervisory committee.
Drake gon be bougie as fuck. gonna be carrying your system like a clutch. ballin like motherfucker

Good catch on Haruhana! Neither of them seems to be at retirement age, so they may well both still be at EPD. There's always the possibility they left the company, or that, in Yamada's case, he's moved from EPD 3 to another group but is yet to be credited on anything.

However, knowing Yoichi Yamada hadn't been credited on anything for a few years, I'd wondered if he was either supervising or leading the next 2D Zelda. Maybe Haruhana is the graphics director for that. A few Grezzo staff also haven't had major roles on games since Link's Awakening, which suggests another EPD 3 x Grezzo collaboration could be in the works.

Edit - I'd also been wondering if 1-UP might provide development support for a 2D Zelda given their assistance on Triforce Heroes. It's too vague to tell us anything, but most of the 1-UP staff who assisted with Triforce Heroes (who are at least still with 1-UP, one or two have left) haven't been credited since 2018-2020, so didn't work on Bowser's Fury.

That timeline would overlap with both Yoichi Yamada's absence but also the hiring calls for new projects at EPD 8, where 1-UP would serve as a co-developer for the next 3D Mario at least.

Some stuff on 1-Up: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1lK9ecM00NNWw3dIfMf_cDXrRfKmn8QhQ?usp=sharing is in here. Something that was fun to see is how little is known since they haven't released anything lately. When making total staff counts throughout the Switch, the number should probably exceed the peak headcount. While the peak headcount is a bit lower for dev teams due to overhead, it also goes upwards because of contract and people who left.

For example, throughout the Switch, 176 Monolith credits appear on just EPD games. It probably be 300ish including their own games (my stuff on Monolith is outdated, but think of this number as an example) which makes sense based on the reasons I posted. But for 1-Up the total I have is 41. I dunno if its the peak headcount, but 88 is what I last saw. Its obvious why given how they have not released anything lately, but its fun to see firsthand. Guess we'll see a lot 1-Up staff next year or maybe even this year.

Oh right, some other stuff, basically the same stuff I did with EPD but Monolith and SRD:

(Monolith)

(SRD)

Now for some numbers for Switch EPD led games:
EPD- 773
Monolith- 168
SRD- 126
NST- 47
Mario Club- 42
1-Up Studios- 41
NdCube- 37
Nintendo Pictures- 30
NERD- 3

And here are all the credits that at least one game pre Switch was credited on for EPD on the list I made, by category. I used italics when making the list so it wasn't too bad.
EPD pre Switch credits
Planning- 103/158
Sound- 41/69
Programming- 122/258
Art- 147/288
413 total

And this has two docs added that are total staff per game counts, one for Nintendo developers and one overall including outsourcing. Should be the last two docs in the folder.

This is Nintendo developers, with the outsourcing in parenthesis. I have stuff for all the other games for Switch, but that make this a bit too long of a list.
Breath of the Wild- 180 (179)
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe- 37 (18)*
Arms- 79 (14)
Splatoon- 97 (1)
Super Mario Odyssey- 110 (20)
Champion of the Ballad- 78 (18)
Octo Expansion- 90 (8)
Captain Toad (2018)- 48
New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe- 25
Super Mario Maker 2- 76 (2)
Ring Fit Adventure- 129 (10)
Animal Crossing: New Horizons- 225
3D World/Bowser’s Fury- 87
Nintendo Switch Sports-101 (33)
Splatoon 3-148 (73)
Tears of the Kingdom- 316 (195)
Everybody 1 2 Switch- 62 (22)
Super Mario Bros Wonder- 189
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Course Pass- 117 (10)
Side Order- 178 (63)

Its a lot of info, but hopefully people here can find use for it or fun looking through this stuff. For me its a nice way to reflect on the Switch first party as its era comes to a close.

Editing: forgot to add the individual game folders for SRD, Monolith, and 1-Up here. They are pretty useful to see what the staff roles were, and what they worked on before and after,

1-Up: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1eYRJaNZ2gkvgQ9-jlMpklLBVi7xGWV7U
Monolith: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1wqnjYZ3ISYBojk8uys85lC9gtoT7MwjD?usp=sharing
SRD: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1JiwgDjX3-Fy-Wx0yz3WHJ6kSgFg6j1Ti?usp=sharing

There are sheets for NST as well, but its only Captain Toad and 3D World/Bowser's Fury so no folder yet.

Last edited:
Some stuff on 1-Up: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1lK9ecM00NNWw3dIfMf_cDXrRfKmn8QhQ?usp=sharing is in here. Something that was fun to see is how little is known since they haven't released anything lately. When making total staff counts throughout the Switch, the number should probably exceed the peak headcount. While the peak headcount is a bit lower for dev teams due to overhead, it also goes upwards because of contract and people who left.

For example, throughout the Switch, 176 Monolith credits appear on just EPD games. It probably be 300ish including their own games (my stuff on Monolith is outdated, but think of this number as an example) which makes sense based on the reasons I posted. But for 1-Up the total I have is 41. I dunno if its the peak headcount, but 88 is what I last saw. Its obvious why given how they have not released anything lately, but its fun to see firsthand. Guess we'll see a lot 1-Up staff next year or maybe even this year.

Oh right, some other stuff, basically the same stuff I did with EPD but Monolith and SRD:

(Monolith)

(SRD)

Now for some numbers for Switch EPD led games:
EPD- 773
Monolith- 168
SRD- 126
NST- 47
Mario Club- 42
1-Up Studios- 41
NdCube- 37
Nintendo Pictures- 30
NERD- 3

And here are all the credits that at least one game pre Switch was credited on for EPD on the list I made, by category. I used italics when making the list so it wasn't too bad.
EPD pre Switch credits
Planning- 103/158
Sound- 41/69
Programming- 122/258
Art- 147/288
413 total

And this has two docs added that are total staff per game counts, one for Nintendo developers and one overall including outsourcing. Should be the last two docs in the folder.

This is Nintendo developers, with the outsourcing in parenthesis. I have stuff for all the other games for Switch, but that make this a bit too long of a list.
Breath of the Wild- 180 (179)
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe- 37 (18)*
Arms- 79 (14)
Splatoon- 97 (1)
Super Mario Odyssey- 110 (20)
Champion of the Ballad- 78 (18)
Octo Expansion- 90 (8)
Captain Toad (2018)- 48
New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe- 25
Super Mario Maker 2- 76 (2)
Ring Fit Adventure- 129 (10)
Animal Crossing: New Horizons- 225
3D World/Bowser’s Fury- 87
Nintendo Switch Sports-101 (33)
Splatoon 3-148 (73)
Tears of the Kingdom- 316 (195)
Everybody 1 2 Switch- 62 (22)
Super Mario Bros Wonder- 189
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Course Pass- 117 (10)
Side Order- 178 (63)

Its a lot of info, but hopefully people here can find use for it or fun looking through this stuff. For me its a nice way to reflect on the Switch first party as its era comes to a close.
The staff who hasn't been credited for the last 4-7 years (bowsers fury was finished on 2020)

ART
2021 (7)
Rikuto Yoshida (BF)
Masayuki Kawakita (BF)
Mizuki Tatsuno (BF)
Kazunori Hashimoto (BF)
Mayako Sugimoto (BF)
Shuhei Sugimoto (BF)
Yuki Nakamura (BF)
Chiaki Uchida (Buddy Mission Bond)

2020 (26)
Takahiro Nagaya (ACNH)
Yuko Miyakawa (ACNH)
Sei Hashimoto (ACNH)
Shinko Takeshita (ACNH)
Yoko Maruta (ACNH)
Jihyun Kim (ACNH)
Takuto Gocho (ACNH)
Saki Takita (ACNH)
Tomomi Marunami (ACNH)
Sachiko Ikeda (ACNH)
Jumpei Yamashita (ACNH)
Atsushi Nishibori (ACNH)
Asako Shibata (ACNH)
Kana Ueyama (ACNH)
Koji Takahashi (ACNH)
Sora Nagaoka (ACNH)
Jun Takamura (ACNH)
Mizuho Yamanaka (ACNH)
Ami Takai (ACNH)
Airi Abe (ACNH)
Kazuki Sugano (ACNH)
Dan Suzuki (ACNH)
Mizuho Nakazawa (ACNH)
Yoshifumi Masaki (ACNH)
Tomomi Mashiko (MKH)
Masaaki Ishikawa (MKH)

2019 (22)
Mizuki Okunaka (RFA)
Yuki Hamada (RFA)
Satomi Usui (RFA)
Daisuke Kageyama (RFA)
Ryo Hamada (RFA)
Akane Usami (RFA)
Mariko Tachibana (RFA)
Akiko Hirono (RFA)
Akane Yoshida (RFA)
Hanako Hisada (RFA)
Koshi Watamura (RFA)
Tomohito Hashiguchi (RFA)
Mei Ide (NSMBUD)
Yasuto Kakimoto (NSMBUD)
Risa Taniwa (NSMBUD)
Kenshiro Yano (SMM2)
Masanao Arimoto (SMM2)
Yasuyo Iwawaki (SMM2)
Takumi Kawagoe (SMM2)
Naoki Yamada (SMM2)
Yoshiki Haruhana (LAS)
Yukihiko Hayashi (Brain Training)

2018 (6)
Takehisa Eiraku (Labo)
Norihiro Morita (Octo Expansion)
Daisuke Ito (Captain Toad)
Daisuke Watanabe (Captain Toad)
Jun Ashida (Octo Expansion)
Arisa Yanagi (Sushi Strikers)

2017 (9)
Hiroko Nishibe (BOTW)
Hikari Harada (Arms)
Masahiro Kawanishi (Arms)
Eisuke Sasaki (Arms)
Mayuko Nakamura (Arms)
Haruna Sugano (Arms)
Takeshi Hosono (SMO)
Yoshikazu Hara (SMO)
Seiga Mizutamari (SMO)

Game Design
2021 (10)
Kenta Motokura (BF)
Futoshi Shirai (BF)
Shinya Hiratake (BF)
Yuka Kitahara (BF)
Noriko Kitamura (Big Brain Academy)
Kenta Kubo (Big Brain Academy)
Masami Yone (Big Brain Academy)
Kosuke Teshima (GBG)
Fumihiko Hayashi (Dread)
Takehiko Hosokawa (Dread)

2020 (9)
Yusuke Amano (ACNH)
Keiko Kinoshita (ACNH)
Aya Kyogoku (ACNH)
Ichiro Suzuki (ACNH)
Ken Kato** (ACNH)
Arisa Hosaka (ACNH)
Yurie Hattori (ACNH)
Masataka Takemoto (Good Job)
Hiroshi Matsunaga (MKH)

2019 (9)
Yoichi Yamada (LAS)
Satoshi Harayama (RFA)
Shinji Kitahara (RFA)
Eisaku Nakae (RFA)
Ojiro Fumoto (RFA)
Tsubasa Sakaguchi (Labo VR)
Shinichi Kasuno (MKT)
Yosuke Oshino* (SMM2)
Hideaki Shimizu (Labo VR)

2018 (3)
Toshihiko Okamoto (Captain Toad)
Yusaku Yamanaka (Captain Toad)
Taiju Suzuki (Labo)

2017 (6)
Shintaro Jikumaru (Arms)
Kazuyoshi Sensui (Pocket Camp)
Hideaki Fukuoka (MK8D)
Yusuke Nodama (SMO)
Seiichi Takahashi (SMO)
Hiroaki Hishinuma* (SMO)

Basically we have mostly EPD Tokyo,Animal Crossing Team,Ring Fit Team, a part of ARMS/Mario Kart team, some staff from epd4 and some from 2d mario team who didn't work on Wonder

Animal Crossing its the game with the most staff without further credit, after the success of new horizons nintendo must have made a priority to have it close to launch

The 2d mario staff is probably helping EPD tokyo with the 2d game

Ring Fit its also surprising, maybe it has a sequel

My guess for launch window lineup is
3D Mario,2D DK,Mario Kart 9 or/and ARMS 2(Maybe second year),Ring Fit 2, one or two new experimental games from epd4, Animal Crossing(Maybe second year)

i think i understand the hardware delay, in the last 1.5 year 2/3 of all nintendo artists were credited, Side Order, Booster Pass, TOTK, Wonder all ended up being much bigger than expected

Booster Pass alone had around half of the company composers involved,14, when usually its 3-5 composers per game
also had 37 game designers for 48 remixed courses, or they brute-forced development or it includes the tour team who had a billion of course variations and challenges

Last edited:
Excellent overview of @MetalLord . Similarly to AC, I expect launching the next Smash in the first few years of the system will also be a priority for Nintendo.

Number of employees update:

Nintendo Global = 7724 (+83)
NCL = 2814 (+37)

SRD = 147 (+9)

Grezzo = 91 (+7)

Genius Sonority = 20 (-2)
Camelot Software Planning = 38 (+3)
ILCA = 397 (+21)
indieszero = 52 (+4)
PlatinumGames = 358 (+27)
Spike Chunsoft = 260 (+35)

The remaining companies have either maintained the same number of employees as in 2023, or have not updated their figures recently.

Nintendo Global = 7724 (+83)
NCL = 2814 (+37)

SRD = 147 (+9)

Grezzo = 91 (+7)

Genius Sonority = 20 (-2)
Camelot Software Planning = 38 (+3)
ILCA = 397 (+21)
indieszero = 52 (+4)
PlatinumGames = 358 (+27)
Spike Chunsoft = 260 (+35)

The remaining companies have either maintained the same number of employees as in 2023, or have not updated their figures recently.

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *

When was the last update?

Sad to see the state of Genius Sonority. They made some of my favorite Pokemon experiences ever

NCL = 2814 (+37)

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *

wonder what happened, in april 2023 they hired 130 new graduates, not counting the mid-career hires, yet the count only grew by 37, so they lost over 100 staff this year, it could be contractor staff working on the sucessor but mass production didn't even started

maybe the staff transfered to nintendo systems its not anymore on the ncl count and is now on the overall count since its a subsidiary, depending when it was funded

The staff who hasn't been credited for the last 4-7 years (bowsers fury was finished on 2020)

ART
2021 (7)
Rikuto Yoshida (BF)
Masayuki Kawakita (BF)
Mizuki Tatsuno (BF)
Kazunori Hashimoto (BF)
Mayako Sugimoto (BF)
Shuhei Sugimoto (BF)
Yuki Nakamura (BF)

2020 (26)
Takahiro Nagaya (ACNH)
Yuko Miyakawa (ACNH)
Sei Hashimoto (ACNH)
Shinko Takeshita (ACNH)
Yoko Maruta (ACNH)
Jihyun Kim (ACNH)
Takuto Gocho (ACNH)
Saki Takita (ACNH)
Tomomi Marunami (ACNH)
Sachiko Ikeda (ACNH)
Jumpei Yamashita (ACNH)
Atsushi Nishibori (ACNH)
Asako Shibata (ACNH)
Kana Ueyama (ACNH)
Koji Takahashi (ACNH)
Sora Nagaoka (ACNH)
Jun Takamura (ACNH)
Mizuho Yamanaka (ACNH)
Ami Takai (ACNH)
Airi Abe (ACNH)
Kazuki Sugano (ACNH)
Dan Suzuki (ACNH)
Mizuho Nakazawa (ACNH)
Yoshifumi Masaki (ACNH)
Tomomi Mashiko (MKH)
Masaaki Ishikawa (MKH)

2019 (22)
Mizuki Okunaka (RFA)
Yuki Hamada (RFA)
Satomi Usui (RFA)
Daisuke Kageyama (RFA)
Ryo Hamada (RFA)
Akane Usami (RFA)
Mariko Tachibana (RFA)
Akiko Hirono (RFA)
Akane Yoshida (RFA)
Hanako Hisada (RFA)
Koshi Watamura (RFA)
Mei Ide (NSMBUD)
Yasuto Kakimoto (NSMBUD)
Risa Taniwa (NSMBUD)
Kenshiro Yano (SMM2)
Masanao Arimoto (SMM2)
Yasuyo Iwawaki (SMM2)
Takumi Kawagoe (SMM2)
Naoki Yamada (SMM2)
Yoshiki Haruhana (LAS)

2018 (6)
Takehisa Eiraku (Labo)

2017 (9)
Hiroko Nishibe (BOTW)
Hikari Harada (Arms)
Eisuke Sasaki (Arms)
Mayuko Nakamura (Arms)
Haruna Sugano (Arms)
Takeshi Hosono (SMO)
Yoshikazu Hara (SMO)
Seiga Mizutamari (SMO)

Game Design
2021 (10)
Kenta Motokura (BF)
Futoshi Shirai (BF)
Shinya Hiratake (BF)
Yuka Kitahara (BF)
Kosuke Teshima (GBG)
Fumihiko Hayashi (Dread)

2020 (9)
Yusuke Amano (ACNH)
Keiko Kinoshita (ACNH)
Aya Kyogoku (ACNH)
Ichiro Suzuki (ACNH)
Ken Kato** (ACNH)
Arisa Hosaka (ACNH)
Yurie Hattori (ACNH)
Hiroshi Matsunaga (MKH)

2019 (9)
Yoichi Yamada (LAS)
Satoshi Harayama (RFA)
Shinji Kitahara (RFA)
Eisaku Nakae (RFA)
Ojiro Fumoto (RFA)
Shinichi Kasuno (MKT)
Yosuke Oshino* (SMM2)

2018 (3)
Taiju Suzuki (Labo)

2017 (6)
Shintaro Jikumaru (Arms)
Hideaki Fukuoka (MK8D)
Yusuke Nodama (SMO)
Seiichi Takahashi (SMO)
Hiroaki Hishinuma* (SMO)

Basically we have mostly EPD Tokyo,Animal Crossing Team,Ring Fit Team, a part of ARMS/Mario Kart team, some staff from epd4 and some from 2d mario team who didn't work on Wonder

Animal Crossing its the game with the most staff without further credit, after the success of new horizons nintendo must have made a priority to have it close to launch

3D Mario,2D DK,Mario Kart 9 or/and ARMS 2(Maybe second year),Ring Fit 2, one or two new experimental games from epd4, Animal Crossing(Maybe second year)

i think i understand the hardware delay, in the last 1.5 year 2/3 of all nintendo artists were credited, Side Order, Booster Pass, TOTK, Wonder all ended up being much bigger than expected

Booster Pass alone had around half of the company composers involved,14, when usually its 3-5 composers per game
also had 37 game designers for 48 remixed courses, or they brute-forced development or it includes the tour team who had a billion of course variations and challenges

ART
2021 (7)
Rikuto Yoshida (BF)
Masayuki Kawakita (BF)
Mizuki Tatsuno (BF)
Kazunori Hashimoto (BF)
Mayako Sugimoto (BF)
Shuhei Sugimoto (BF)
Yuki Nakamura (BF)

2020 (26)
Takahiro Nagaya (ACNH)
Yuko Miyakawa (ACNH)
Sei Hashimoto (ACNH)
Shinko Takeshita (ACNH)
Yoko Maruta (ACNH)
Jihyun Kim (ACNH)
Takuto Gocho (ACNH)
Saki Takita (ACNH)
Tomomi Marunami (ACNH)
Sachiko Ikeda (ACNH)
Jumpei Yamashita (ACNH)
Atsushi Nishibori (ACNH)
Asako Shibata (ACNH)
Kana Ueyama (ACNH)
Koji Takahashi (ACNH)
Sora Nagaoka (ACNH)
Jun Takamura (ACNH)
Mizuho Yamanaka (ACNH)
Ami Takai (ACNH)
Airi Abe (ACNH)
Kazuki Sugano (ACNH)
Dan Suzuki (ACNH)
Mizuho Nakazawa (ACNH)
Yoshifumi Masaki (ACNH)
Tomomi Mashiko (MKH)
Masaaki Ishikawa (MKH)

2019 (22)
Mizuki Okunaka (RFA)
Yuki Hamada (RFA)
Satomi Usui (RFA)
Daisuke Kageyama (RFA)
Ryo Hamada (RFA)
Akane Usami (RFA)
Mariko Tachibana (RFA)
Akiko Hirono (RFA)
Akane Yoshida (RFA)
Hanako Hisada (RFA)
Koshi Watamura (RFA)
Mei Ide (NSMBUD)
Yasuto Kakimoto (NSMBUD)
Risa Taniwa (NSMBUD)
Kenshiro Yano (SMM2)
Masanao Arimoto (SMM2)
Yasuyo Iwawaki (SMM2)
Takumi Kawagoe (SMM2)
Naoki Yamada (SMM2)
Yoshiki Haruhana (LAS)

2018 (6)
Takehisa Eiraku (Labo)

2017 (9)
Hiroko Nishibe (BOTW)
Hikari Harada (Arms)
Eisuke Sasaki (Arms)
Mayuko Nakamura (Arms)
Haruna Sugano (Arms)
Takeshi Hosono (SMO)
Yoshikazu Hara (SMO)
Seiga Mizutamari (SMO)

Game Design
2021 (10)
Kenta Motokura (BF)
Futoshi Shirai (BF)
Shinya Hiratake (BF)
Yuka Kitahara (BF)
Kosuke Teshima (GBG)
Fumihiko Hayashi (Dread)

2020 (9)
Yusuke Amano (ACNH)
Keiko Kinoshita (ACNH)
Aya Kyogoku (ACNH)
Ichiro Suzuki (ACNH)
Ken Kato** (ACNH)
Arisa Hosaka (ACNH)
Yurie Hattori (ACNH)
Hiroshi Matsunaga (MKH)

2019 (9)
Yoichi Yamada (LAS)
Satoshi Harayama (RFA)
Shinji Kitahara (RFA)
Eisaku Nakae (RFA)
Ojiro Fumoto (RFA)
Shinichi Kasuno (MKT)
Yosuke Oshino* (SMM2)

2018 (3)
Taiju Suzuki (Labo)

2017 (6)
Shintaro Jikumaru (Arms)
Hideaki Fukuoka (MK8D)
Yusuke Nodama (SMO)
Seiichi Takahashi (SMO)
Hiroaki Hishinuma* (SMO)

I feel like Side Order is similar to BCP in that in felt like they put a lot of staff on to finish it before new hardware projects take priority. Like even the Monolith staff on it was 18 (compared to 5 for base game)

I decided to count which pre 2023 games have the largest missing staff:

BF-21
RFA- 27
ACNH- 40
NSS- 43

I do feel RFA getting a sequel first is more likely than NSS though.

I also find this just funny and realized I forgot to share. Almost every sound credit is 2023 onwards as their most recent (69 total, so 54 credited 2023 onwards lol)

2022 (4)

Masato Mizuta (NSS)

Natsuko Yokoyama (NSS)

Shigetoshi Gohara (Mario+Rabbids)

Nobuyuki Sakai (NSS)

2021 (5)

Nobuyoshi Suzuki (BF)

Minako Hamano (Metroid Dread)

Yuichi Ozaki (Metroid Dread)

Kenji Yamamoto (Metroid Dread)**

Masaru Tajima (Brain vs Brain)

2020 (2)

Kazumi Totaka (ACNH)

Shinobu Nagata (ACNH)

2019 (2)

Taro Bando (RFA)

Shinji Ushiroda (RFA)

2018 (1)

Naoto Kubo (Captain Toad)

2017 (1)

Satomi Terui (MK8D)

I decided to count which pre 2023 games have the largest missing staff:

BF-21
RFA- 27
ACNH- 40
NSS- 43

I do feel RFA getting a sequel first is more likely than NSS though.
Nice summary. 3D Mario, Animal Crossing, and a Ring Fit successor are surely deep in development. Then maybe NSS staff is distributed between them?

Nice summary. 3D Mario, Animal Crossing, and a Ring Fit successor are surely deep in development. Then maybe NSS staff is distributed between them?

So it looks like 7 lead positions across programming and art, along with the director are among the NSS staff. 7 for RFA as well (they shared program director too. Huh)

A good amount of the leads between both were also credited between TOTK an SMBW as well.

So yeah, definitely getting a fitness game soon. I think first year for new hardware, or maybe early in the second.

Another tangent I forgot to mention and just remembered. So like VFX artists are really shared throughout the games. Like search for VFX and visual effects in the art sheet and all their credits are so diverse, even compared to other art credits it felt.

wonder what happened, in april 2023 they hired 130 new graduates, not counting the mid-career hires, yet the count only grew by 37, so they lost over 100 staff this year, it could be contractor staff working on the sucessor but mass production didn't even started

maybe the staff transfered to nintendo systems its not anymore on the ncl count and is now on the overall count since its a subsidiary, depending when it was funded

The staff transferred to Nintendo Systems is absolutely part of the consolidated numbers (Nintendo Group Company) rather than Nintendo Co., Ltd. Hence Nintendo's NCL increase number would drop. Also, because this number includes clerical and administrative staff, technically their tech sector jobs could have increased at a higher ratio but it isn't as pronounced because the data factors in potential administrative/clerical jobs that were eliminated or transferred (Nintendo Sales, Nintendo Systems, etc.).

Demay will be at Nintendo as an “outside director”, while Osawa and Akashi will be members of Nintendo’s audit and supervisory committee.
MoakQ5.gif

some staff from epd4 and some from 2d mario team who didn't work on Wonder
Speaking of EPD 4, I imagine that Hiromasa Shikata will produce an experimental game for the next console, but I would have loved that he was involved in the production of a brand new 2D Zelda game, just like a part of the team traditionally working on 2D.Mario. I have nothing against Grezzo, I think they did a very good job with Link’s awakening HD, but I think Zelda deserves to have a Mario Wonder moment, that is to say a real comeback with new ideas and not yet another remake.

ART
2021 (7)
Rikuto Yoshida (BF)
Masayuki Kawakita (BF)
Mizuki Tatsuno (BF)
Kazunori Hashimoto (BF)
Mayako Sugimoto (BF)
Shuhei Sugimoto (BF)
Yuki Nakamura (BF)

2020 (26)
Takahiro Nagaya (ACNH)
Yuko Miyakawa (ACNH)
Sei Hashimoto (ACNH)
Shinko Takeshita (ACNH)
Yoko Maruta (ACNH)
Jihyun Kim (ACNH)
Takuto Gocho (ACNH)
Saki Takita (ACNH)
Tomomi Marunami (ACNH)
Sachiko Ikeda (ACNH)
Jumpei Yamashita (ACNH)
Atsushi Nishibori (ACNH)
Asako Shibata (ACNH)
Kana Ueyama (ACNH)
Koji Takahashi (ACNH)
Sora Nagaoka (ACNH)
Jun Takamura (ACNH)
Mizuho Yamanaka (ACNH)
Ami Takai (ACNH)
Airi Abe (ACNH)
Kazuki Sugano (ACNH)
Dan Suzuki (ACNH)
Mizuho Nakazawa (ACNH)
Yoshifumi Masaki (ACNH)
Tomomi Mashiko (MKH)
Masaaki Ishikawa (MKH)

2019 (22)
Mizuki Okunaka (RFA)
Yuki Hamada (RFA)
Satomi Usui (RFA)
Daisuke Kageyama (RFA)
Ryo Hamada (RFA)
Akane Usami (RFA)
Mariko Tachibana (RFA)
Akiko Hirono (RFA)
Akane Yoshida (RFA)
Hanako Hisada (RFA)
Koshi Watamura (RFA)
Mei Ide (NSMBUD)
Yasuto Kakimoto (NSMBUD)
Risa Taniwa (NSMBUD)
Kenshiro Yano (SMM2)
Masanao Arimoto (SMM2)
Yasuyo Iwawaki (SMM2)
Takumi Kawagoe (SMM2)
Naoki Yamada (SMM2)
Yoshiki Haruhana (LAS)

2018 (6)
Takehisa Eiraku (Labo)

2017 (9)
Hiroko Nishibe (BOTW)
Hikari Harada (Arms)
Eisuke Sasaki (Arms)
Mayuko Nakamura (Arms)
Haruna Sugano (Arms)
Takeshi Hosono (SMO)
Yoshikazu Hara (SMO)
Seiga Mizutamari (SMO)

Game Design
2021 (10)
Kenta Motokura (BF)
Futoshi Shirai (BF)
Shinya Hiratake (BF)
Yuka Kitahara (BF)
Kosuke Teshima (GBG)
Fumihiko Hayashi (Dread)

2020 (9)
Yusuke Amano (ACNH)
Keiko Kinoshita (ACNH)
Aya Kyogoku (ACNH)
Ichiro Suzuki (ACNH)
Ken Kato** (ACNH)
Arisa Hosaka (ACNH)
Yurie Hattori (ACNH)
Hiroshi Matsunaga (MKH)

2019 (9)
Yoichi Yamada (LAS)
Satoshi Harayama (RFA)
Shinji Kitahara (RFA)
Eisaku Nakae (RFA)
Ojiro Fumoto (RFA)
Shinichi Kasuno (MKT)
Yosuke Oshino* (SMM2)

2018 (3)
Taiju Suzuki (Labo)

2017 (6)
Shintaro Jikumaru (Arms)
Hideaki Fukuoka (MK8D)
Yusuke Nodama (SMO)
Seiichi Takahashi (SMO)
Hiroaki Hishinuma* (SMO)

Cool overview. If you think within 3 years of launch for Switch (March 2017 to March 2020) EPD delivered Zelda, ARMS, Splatoon, Mario Kart (port), 3D Mario, Labo, Mario Maker, Ring Fit Adventure and Animal Crossing. Externally, Mario Party, Pokemon (Let's Go and gen 8), Smash Bros Ultimate and Luigi's Mansion 3 were the major system sellers.

All things considered, I'd say that puts Nintendo in a pretty good trajectory going into the next gen in terms of proven system-sellers given the apparent delay to spring 2024. I think for the first two years, 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Ring Fit Adventure 2 and one or two new IP makes sense as the major output from EPD by spring 2026. I'd also expect Game Freak to deliver Pokémon gen 10 and Sora/Bamco to bring Smash Bros in that timeframe, so by spring 2026 (maybe Pokémon gen 10 is later, though, for anniversary synergy?). You might conceivably also have NdCube for Mario Party and Next Level for Luigi's Mansion 4 in that two year period, too (depending on whether or not NdCube ship a game this year). That leaves things like Splatoon 4, 2D Mario (Bros or Maker), and open-world Zelda as being summer 2026 or later, which makes sense, especially in the case of Zelda. There's presumably a solid number of unknowns coming, too, whether that's new IP from first party studios (stares at Monolith Soft group 2) or new external collaborations.

I also think it's conceivable Nintendo are a tad less aggressive getting major titles out in the next generation. With the hybrid concept having proven appeal and development demands only increasing, there's sense in consistently pacing their biggest hits for maximum impact.

If Third Party support is heavier then Switch had to start that can give more wiggle room on early pacing of games as well.

They can sit on some games a bit to give breathing room or fill gaps later if they get major multiplats and some nice exclusives or big deal ports like Elden Ring.

Probably wise to plan for a maximum push and then adjust based on early reception, third party releases and other factors. Best to have some extra games to sit on then not enough.

That is one benefit of holding cards close to the chest. Makes delaying less painful if the public never even knows the game was delayed or exists in the first place.

Really happy to see this.

I cant wait to see the next Metroid game from Mercury Steam. Will It still be a 2D Game?...
Dread was nominated for GOTY and became the best-selling Metroid game. Meanwhile MercurySteam's previous attempt at a 3D entry in a traditionally 2D-metroidvania series had a notably cooler reception...

I think even if Retro wasn't around to handle the 3D side of things, Nintendo would probably be hesitant about MercurySteam deviating from the 2D style

I also think it's conceivable Nintendo are a tad less aggressive getting major titles out in the next generation. With the hybrid concept having proven appeal and development demands only increasing, there's sense in consistently pacing their biggest hits for maximum impact.
I do not believe Nintendo has plans to only release Switch 2 games after this year.

Assuming the rumor of backward compatibility is true, and assuming the reason these remasters are releasing at 30fps on Switch and will run at 60fps on Switch 2, I am of the belief that the first 2-3 years of Switch 2's lifespan will see a consistent release cadence of 3DS, GameCube, Wii U, and Wii remasters that will be advertised as "releasing for the Nintendo Switch Family" and being released on current-Switch cartridges.

I do not believe Nintendo has plans to only release Switch 2 games after this year.

Assuming the rumor of backward compatibility is true, and assuming the reason these remasters are releasing at 30fps on Switch and will run at 60fps on Switch 2, I am of the belief that the first 2-3 years of Switch 2's lifespan will see a consistent release cadence of 3DS, GameCube, Wii U, and Wii remasters that will be advertised as "releasing for the Nintendo Switch Family" and being released on current-Switch cartridges.
Yeah, I think we'll be getting something like that.

Dread was nominated for GOTY and became the best-selling Metroid game. Meanwhile MercurySteam's previous attempt at a 3D entry in a traditionally 2D-metroidvania series had a notably cooler reception...

I think even if Retro wasn't around to handle the 3D side of things, Nintendo would probably be hesitant about MercurySteam deviating from the 2D style
and the game they did right before that has an 83 on metacritic. LoS2 had a lot of issues behind the scenes that help lead to it being undercooked compared to the previous. so it's definitely not some evidence that they can't do 3D

Okay but why would they do that when Dread was a success story and they have Retro
maybe the want to attempt 3D again but better than Other M. who knows, the game ain't revealed yet

Metroid got room to grow if Nintendo lets it. I still foresee a non-first person 3D game at some point in the future, whether Mercury Steam or someone else does it

maybe the want to attempt 3D again but better than Other M. who knows, the game ain't revealed yet

Metroid got room to grow if Nintendo lets it. I still foresee a non-first person 3D game at some point in the future, whether Mercury Steam or someone else does it
I agree. I still think their next game will most likely be Metroid 6, but I do think there’s a non-Retro 3D future for the series in some capacity.

Once again dreaming of an Astral Chain sequel because Kaori Ando hasn't cropped up on much since her co-directing turn on that game. She was involved in 3D World + Bowser's Fury, but interestingly after that I think she's only popped up as a Special Thanks credits for both Bayonetta 3 and Bayonetta Origins. So perhaps she's still pretty heavily involved in whatever their next Nintendo collaboration will be...

I looked into 1-UP Studio since they used to develop original titles. It seems like nearly all of the developers except for a few departed from the company around the time when it was determined they would become a support studio for Nintendo. (By the way, while they used to develop games for 3rd party publishers, Brownie Brown was a Nintendo subsidiary studio since its founding.)

The company started out with only 7 staff (January 2001)... 29 by April 2007. They aggressively hired staff around 2010. Around the time of Fantasy Life's release, the reported number of employees fell from 31 in June 2012 to 18 in April 2013. The ones who departed were older long term staff who left due to creative differences, I suppose. They formed Brownies which is based on their old location Musashino, whereas 1-UP Studio was relocated to Chiyoda, closer to Nintendo's Tokyo branch.

I identified 14 out of the 18 reported employees who continued to work on various games with Nintendo as a support studio (sorted by the first Brownie Brown title they worked on). This is easy since they're a small company.
I also identified some former Brownie Brown staff who worked on Egglia, one of the games developed by Brownies. There are likely some who worked on other games but most of the games don't have documented credits.

Back
Top Bottom