• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

classic.
(seriously, though, this larger community [I'm including the kyoto report gang in this], are the only people who really care to look into who's behind the generic "Nintendo" label 90% of the time, and that's quite sad.)
it is kinda sad how this happens. also doesnt help nintendo dont show the logo of the development companies like other publishers do either

Little King's Story would be more fitting by Onion Games who of course was formed by the creator Yoshiro Kimura and brought Moon to Switch and are making its successor Stray Children exclusively for Switch.

Surely Onion could get say Engine Software who did No More Heroes 1 and 2 for Switch to do Little King's Story as well.
if we wanna go down the road of ultra obvious "why hasn't this happened" ports, we're gonna be here all year (Killer 7 port skipping Switch says hi, for example lol)

I saw Little King's Story being mentioned, and came in to say that's one of the best Wii games. It's a bit clunky at spots, but I loved the whole concept of doing a game like Pikmin, but sprinkling it with "city-building" and throwing that into an open adventure setting.

Finally, upload of the full staff credits (thank you @Alexis!); contains spoilers for the games, so spoiler tagging:

Transcribing just some lead staff; i'll leave the rest to the usuals:

Based on the works of the "Another Code" series development staff

DIRECTOR

Tetsuro Shoji

SCENARIO & STORY

Rika Suzuki

ART DIRECTOR

Taisuke Kanasaki

TECHNICAL DIRECTOR

Takuya Miyagawa

---

GAME DESIGN MANAGEMENT

Kyuta Yamada
Maho Taguchi
Yuki Adachi

GAME DESIGN LEAD

Shinichi Nakagawa
Masayuki Hida

PROGRAMMING LEAD

Kentarou Hata

TECHNICAL PROGRAMMER

Masamitsu Ishikawa

CHARACTER DESIGN ILLUSTRATION

Taisuke Kanasaki

3D MODELING LEAD

Fumitaka Sakai

3D ANIMATION LEAD

Eusuke Sato

ENVIRONMENT DESIGN LEAD

Hideharu Kato

TECHNICAL ENVIRONMENT DESIGN

Genki Hirata
Tosho Ko

VFX DESIGN

Takeshi Kohama

UI DESIGN LEAD

Miyuki Abe

GRAPHIC DESIGN LEAD

Natsuka Konoma

CUTSCENE DESIGN LEAD

Kohei Kameta

CUTSCENE DIRECTOR

Kazyuki Hayashitani

STORYBOARD ART LEAD

Taisuke Kamasaki

STORYBOARD ART

Yo★Nakano
Emiko Fujiwara
Masaya Kusunose
Noriyuki Morita

CINEMATIC DESIGN LEAD

Satoru Ohori

SOUND DESIGN LEAD

Naoya Ishida

SOUND DIRECTOR

Yuhki Mori

MUSIC COMPOSITION / MUSIC ARRANGEMENT

Satoshi Okubo
Rei Kondoh
Haruno Ito

MUSIC ARRANGEMENT

Shoma Murata
Chihori Yamada

SOUND EFFECTS

Tomomitsu Matsushita
Janjeff Aquinde

RECORDING AND MIXING ENGINEER

Motohiko Maeda

VOICE DIRECTOR

Takahiro Enomoto

VOICE COORDINATOR

Yuki Sakai

SCRIPT

Aiko Takami
Kariko Yuuda
Hiromitsu Azuma

ARTWORK

Asuka Kaneko
Megumi Shichida

PROGRESS SUPERVISOR LEAD

Satomi Moriya

PROGRESS SUPERVISOR

Daisuke Saito
Satoru Ishii

---

(Don't have time to transcribe the Special Thanks here, but worth checking out the names and studios involved; another Nintendo Pictures credit to add to my master list)

---

DEVELOPMENT

ARC SYSTEM WORKS CO.,LTD.

SUPERVISOR

Takuya Miyagawa
Rika Suzuki

ASSOCIATE SUPERVISOR

Norikatsu Furuta

COORDINATION

Shinya Sano
Norikatsu Furuta
Kodai Matsumoto

PRODUCER

Shinya Saito
Satoshi Shimada
Toyokazu Nonaka

Last edited:
Junya C Motomura is credited under 3D Modeling Support. He's the guy behind Guilty Gear's distinct 3D animation. I assume he's just the head of ArcSys's 3D modeling department at this point though.

Finally, upload of the full staff credits (thank you @Alexis!); contains spoilers for the games, so spoiler tagging:

Transcribing just some lead staff; i'll leave the rest to the usuals:

some interesting credits there. are those first ones the credits for the original game or for the remake? im seeing rika in story/script and supervisor too

also just something i thought but if they merged epd1 with 2, i wonder why the same didnt happen with epd6 which is also focusing in external development studos

also just something i thought but if they merged epd1 with 2, i wonder why the same didnt happen with epd6 which is also focusing in external development studos
probably because EPD 6 is not a free-for-all buffet of a dozen projects but very focused on a very small group of franchises as well as studios (whatever Retro is doing, whatever NLG is doing, Paper Mario and WarioWare, RIP Dillon) and that's it. EPD1 and EPD2 were handling a much broader and also looser slate of stuff.

some interesting credits there. are those first ones the credits for the original game or for the remake? im seeing rika in story/script and supervisor too

The original credits are supposed to be covered by the "Based on" line (typical for Nintendo remasters / remakes unfortunately). Kanasaki and Miyagawa are also credited in multiple roles; all three were clearly very involved with the remakes as the core OG Cing staff.

probably because EPD 6 is not a free-for-all buffet of a dozen projects but very focused on a very small group of franchises as well as studios (whatever Retro is doing, whatever NLG is doing, Paper Mario and WarioWare, RIP Dillon) and that's it. EPD1 and EPD2 were handling a much broader and also looser slate of stuff.
There are also historical logics that have evolved over time and will no doubt continue to do so. I'm thinking in part, but not exclusively, of what remains of the legacy of Gumpei Yokoi's teams.

With a "unified" hybrid platform since the Switch, what's left of the tradition of in-house teams dedicated to handhelds or home consoles no longer makes the same sense. For example, Prime established itself as the Metroid for home consoles, while Sakamoto continued to make Metroid for handhelds. Tanabe's Paper Mario is the Mario RPG for home consoles, while M&L was the Mario RPG for handheld consoles.

This divide exists less today and will eventually disappear. But there are still special cases: I doubt, for example, that 3D Metroid and 2D Metroid won't retain their respective autonomy. On the other hand, it would seem quite logical to me that something like Paper Mario should join a group already focused on RPGs and already collaborating with IS on Fire Emblem.

EPD 6 and 7 have their own internal culture -- they are about making EAD-ish and R&D1-ish games with external developers, even developing their own prototypes or game design concepts internally. I can see them maybe merging if Sakamoto retires and Tanabe is promoted, but what they are doing is different from what EPD2 / former EPD1 do.

New Grezzo employee "voices" went up a few days ago, with their most recent credits:

Yuta Okada - 3D Animator (Jet Dragon, Link's Awakening, Luigi's Mansion)
Yuki Nakamura - 3D Map Artist (N/A)
Nagomi Sasai - 3D Model Artist (N/A)
Shota Tanaka - VFX Artist (N/A)

All of them bar Okada seem to be pretty recent hires, as they have no prior credits that I could find. This could be be Nakamura, but there are literally 13 different pages with that name on Mobygames and the person in this photo looks pretty young, so who knows. I also don't know if the credits for Jet Dragon have been updated since my post back in August, as the game got a major update in November and I don't have Apple Arcade.

EPD 6 and 7 have their own internal culture -- they are about making EAD-ish and R&D1-ish games with external developers, even developing their own prototypes or game design concepts internally. I can see them maybe merging if Sakamoto retires and Tanabe is promoted, but what they are doing is different from what EPD2 / former EPD1 do.

EPD7 has internal developers. They’ve had artists, programmers, and composers listed under their group unlike EPD6 that is primarily a small production unit with the exception being the smaller WarioWare unit having a creative director and character artist.

EPD7 developed Miitomo and Dr. Mario World. We haven’t seen anything since internally aside from the collaboration with Mercury Steam on Metroid SR and Metroid Dread (Detective Club seems more like a Sakamoto outlier). Sakamoto is the face, but Katsuya Yamano and Noriyuki Sato are very much the managers of the group with Ryutaro Takahashi being one of the more important directors and programmers at Nintendo.

I believe the problem is that realistically - Tomodachi (and maybe Rhythm Tengoku) are the big IPs of the developer. It’s probably a case that Tomodachi had a prototype team after Miitomo doing a lot of work to figure out how the IP is going to continue in its next installment.

Last edited:

Not sure if merging is the right way to describe it - but it seems like Hitoshi Yamagami moved on and vacated the position. In turn, Nintendo may have restructured the assistant producers of EPD Group 1 to work under EPD Group 2, while potentially a new/different set of personnel take charge of EPD Group 1.

You would think that EPD Group 1 probably is going to be an internal development team since all the external coordinators were moved out of the group. I would assume that one of the co-teams from the bigger EPD groups (like 4/10/5) house this new group under a successful IP -- or Nintendo assembles a new group entirely based on promising talent.

IP/Team based to restructure Group 1
  • AC and Splatoon team splitting up so one team comes over to Group 1.
  • Switch Sports or Fitness team leave Group 4 to head Group 1.

Talent/Personnel to restructure Group 1
  • Yusuke Amano kicks off new IP
  • Tsubasa Sakaguchi kicks off new IP

Not sure if merging is the right way to describe it - but it seems like Hitoshi Yamagami moved on and vacated the position. In turn, Nintendo may have restructured the assistant producers of EPD Group 1 to work under EPD Group 2, while potentially a new/different set of personnel take charge of EPD Group 1.

You would think that EPD Group 1 probably is going to be an internal development team since all the external coordinators were moved out of the group. I would assume that one of the co-teams from the bigger EPD groups (like 4/10/5) house this new group under a successful IP -- or Nintendo assembles a new group entirely based on promising talent.

Do you think Toshiharu Izuno being moved to EPD 5 is true? The fact that he didn't work on Mario Golf: Super Rush and that EPD staff leak from a few years ago seem to indicate so.

Did we ever find out what happened to Skip Ltd., the company behind Chibi-robo?
I remember It was unofficially reported in 2020 that it was closed since they erased their internet presence and their building was vacated but there was never any official confirmation.

Did we ever find out what happened to Skip Ltd., the company behind Chibi-robo?
I remember It was unofficially reported in 2020 that it was closed since they erased their internet presence and their building was vacated but there was never any official confirmation.
As far as I know, nothing was ever officially stated. But coupled with no internet presence, the office being closed, and Skip losing many employees according to an interview with Kenichi Nishi from 2022 that talks about Chibi-Robo… it’s pretty much a guarantee. The staff spread to other companies, I couldn’t tell you where to though.

Nintendo owns IPs for their stuff like Chibi-Robo! or Captain Rainbow, so re-releases or even a sequel aren’t impossible but… Skip themselves likely would not be involved beyond maybe a special thanks.

Nintendo owns IPs for their stuff like Chibi-Robo! or Captain Rainbow, so re-releases or even a sequel aren’t impossible but… Skip themselves likely would not be involved beyond maybe a special thanks.
I mean, Another Code came out this weekend. Pretty perfect and straightforward analogue for how something like that might play out if that were something they wanted to work on at some point.

I mean, Another Code came out this weekend. Pretty perfect and straightforward analogue for how something like that might play out if that were something they wanted to work on at some point.
true, and nintendo went to arc system because a good part of the staff of cing was there, i imagine. guess some of the producers of nintendo or maybe even the staff in arc systems pitch it and got it approved

i see, thank you for the insight. its always nice learning more for you!

Given the somewhat chaotic development of everybody bojack horseman, I wonder what Hiromasa Shikata is now working on. He was the director of ALBW, so he would be a good candidate in my opinion to take care of the next 2d Zelda at EPD 3.

Given the somewhat chaotic development of everybody bojack horseman, I wonder what Hiromasa Shikata is now working on. He was the director of ALBW, so he would be a good candidate in my opinion to take care of the next 2d Zelda at EPD 3.
I think 2D Zelda is dead unfortunately. From a design perspective Anouma and Zelda team seem to be all-in on the BOTW open air formula, even calling the past games dated. From a resources standpoint I think 3D Zelda is far to exhaustive now for them to have the capacity for a 2D game

I think 2D Zelda is dead unfortunately. From a design perspective Anouma and Zelda team seem to be all-in on the BOTW open air formula, even calling the past games dated. From a resources standpoint I think 3D Zelda is far to exhaustive now for them to have the capacity for a 2D game
that's what you have Grezzo for

Just checked the WIPO database. Looks like they made a few new filings for Wario Land and Star Fox.

Previously Wario Land had a new filing in 2018, so they might have made a new one to have it closer to a release.

Star Fox is in a similar situation. After Starlink released, Star Fox received a new filing under only Category 9, rather than both 9 and 41. This leads me to believe that this will also lead to a new game, as cat 9 relates specifically to software.
It seems like these are listing specifically for regions they did not previously have a trademark registered in, rather than new global trademarks. The Star Fox filings occured all across last year so some aren't particularly recent anymore either.

Could be a sign for the future of the series, or it could just be standard IP protection; tough to say right now.

Huh, actually, there was a new international trademark filed for Star Fox late last year; albiet under class 41 (as the existing international trademark was under 9 and 28). That previous trademark was filed in June 2018 (renewed early for Starlink, presumably), and this new one was filed for alongside a new trademark for Princess Peach (presumably because of Showtime). Worth noting the existing trademark for Peach also didn't cover class 41. These were not publicly viewable until a day after our initial discussion funnily.

7vF6iyU.png

For Wario Land, on the other hand, they did just request subsequent designation for a few additional regions on the existing trademark. The existing Star Fox trademark recieved even more additional regions on top of the new trademark, so for now I would take Star Fox a bit more seriously in regards to being a sign of the IP having something in the works.

no one beat another code yet?
I beat it yesterday :). That was an intriguing adventure and both stories were an enriching story experience. It is my second puzzle/mystery game I played and enjoyed so I am willing to try more in the genre now. The first being Master Detective Archives. Are Professor Layton, Phoenix Wright and such similar type of games?

They just need to put one or two experienced producers and supervisors and trust young developers. It worked well with Mario wonder.

This worked perfectly with Zelda also in the past since the current director of 3D games is from a young Capcom team that Nintendo had asked for due to lack of internal resources.

So the problem is not recent and the external talents still exist as much as at the time.

Open world Zelda requires a lot of resources but it does not prevent to detach some experienced people to supervise emerging developers at EPD.

I mean, if EPD trusts Grezzo to actually make original games using their IP!
Nothing new here. Tri Force Heroes exists, that was them off-loading the heavy lift to Grezzo so their own people could be on BotW. They could go down that road again if they wanted to. Plus it's not like they'd go "okay, you make this, see you in a few years", like boodream said, you'd obviously have EPD producers/directors on it like always.

Huh, actually, there was a new international trademark filed for Star Fox late last year; albiet under class 41 (as the existing international trademark was under 9 and 28). That previous trademark was filed in June 2018 (renewed early for Starlink, presumably), and this new one was filed for alongside a new trademark for Princess Peach (presumably because of Showtime). Worth noting the existing trademark for Peach also didn't cover class 41. These were not publicly viewable until a day after our initial discussion funnily.

7vF6iyU.png

For Wario Land, on the other hand, they did just request subsequent designation for a few additional regions on the existing trademark. The existing Star Fox trademark recieved even more additional regions on top of the new trademark, so for now I would take Star Fox a bit more seriously in regards to being a sign of the IP having something in the works.
Didn't Emily mention something about Star Fox back in 2020? Looks like that might finally pay off!

Didn't Emily mention something about Star Fox back in 2020? Looks like that might finally pay off!
I think that was back in 2019, I believe. She mentioned that Nintendo's always been making Star Fox tech demos behind the scenes (Nintendo has admitted they've done that every time they've made a new platform back in like 2015 when Zero was announced, I believe). Though she wasn't sure if it any of it would actually come to fruition.

true, and nintendo went to arc system because a good part of the staff of cing was there, i imagine. guess some of the producers of nintendo or maybe even the staff in arc systems pitch it and got it approved
Probably not where the staff of Skip Ltd. went, but now I can’t help but imagine a Chibi-Robo remake developed by ArcSys.

Chibi-Robo get air combos.

The best part of new partnerships (Artepiazza making Super Mario RPG and Arc System Works making Trace Memory) is that we can still speculate what the old partnerships have been up to.

A new GoodFeel Wario Land is essentially confirmed at this point.

They just need to put one or two experienced producers and supervisors and trust young developers. It worked well with Mario wonder.

This worked perfectly with Zelda also in the past since the current director of 3D games is from a young Capcom team that Nintendo had asked for due to lack of internal resources.

So the problem is not recent and the external talents still exist as much as at the time.

Open world Zelda requires a lot of resources but it does not prevent to detach some experienced people to supervise emerging developers at EPD.
Fair points but I think they're very very set on open air Zelda as the one and only formula these days. Unless a new 2D Zelda is a massive shakeup, I don't think they have the initiative to make it happen.

Looking at the series' past, Zelda's "minor" episodes have played two major roles - experimenting with design ideas for the next big episodes (Link's Awakening and A Link Between World influenced Ocarina of Time and Breath of the Wild, and to a lesser extent the DS games influenced Skyward Sword), and finding fresh blood (Fujibayashi with the Capcom games). Now that we only have one console, obviously, they would also work as stopgaps alongside remakes and spin-offs.

Not continuing the line would be a mistake for Nintendo.

If a 2D Zelda is currently in development, I think Yoichi Yamada would be the most likely person steering the ship. He was basically the only Zelda veteran who didn’t work on TotK. Unless he left/retired lol.

Grezzo would be the obvious pick for co-developer, but they’ve been working on their own thing for a few years now. Though I think Koichi Ishii mentioned in a recent interview that the company tends to work on 2 or 3 games at a time. It would also explain Yoshiki Haruhana’s absence since Link’s Awakening. He’s worked on all Grezzo Zelda titles as a graphics supervisor/refining director.

Shikata being promoted to co-producer and Mouri having just directed the most critically acclaimed 2D Mario in years makes me think they’ll stay in EPD 4 and EPD 10 respectively for the time being.

This is a big if though. Like I said, I’m expecting Grezzo’s new game to come out before anything else. Unless it turns out that they were working on Luigi’s Mansion 2 HD the whole time. I personally don’t think so, but there’s obvious precedence so it can’t be ruled out.

A new GoodFeel Wario Land is essentially confirmed at this point.
I would love to see 3D Yoshi by Good Feel.If they don’t take care of the Peach game, I hope they work on that.
Fair points but I think they're very very set on open air Zelda as the one and only formula these days. Unless a new 2D Zelda is a massive shakeup, I don't think they have the initiative to make it happen.
The difference between Mario and Zelda in this respect is also that EPD 3 manages both the 2D and 3D series. So it’s more difficult to imagine a transversal collaboration like on Mario wonder. Moreover, given everything he brought to Zelda, Tezuka would be perfectly legitimate in a producer role for 2D Zelda. But I doubt that this will be accepted by the 3D Zelda teams.

This just makes me wonder where the creative team for Chibi-Robo even went. Almost everyone has been MIA since Zip Lash at best, as far as I can tell.

7vF6iyU.png

Looks like EPD4's new Star Fox title is more likely happening soon.

Looks like EPD4's new Star Fox title is more likely happening soon.
if this is related to the switch sports datamining, that doesn't necessarily mean it'll be produced by kawamoto. all of the kyoto "groups" overlap greatly in staff and technologies so those assets could be related to anywhere else in kyoto. it isn't necessarily even a game intended to come to market (though I personally lean that way)

So if Star Fox is on the cards, which third-party developer would be available to help co-develop the project? With Another Code and Super Mario RPG remakes, Nintendo has shown they will partner up with relatively different partners compared to what you would expect, so it's not as simple as guessing something like Bandai Namco or Platinum Games or even Q-Games.

Back
Top Bottom