• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

To this day, I still have no goddamn clue why the credits for 3D World + Bowser's Fury are the way they are. Why is it just an alphabetical list? I don't get it. They've never done it before. They've never done it since. Maybe it bugs me more than it should, but why is it just a list???
never done before it except EPD Tokyo has done it consistently for a decade now :p

We know for sure that NST has worked with EPD Tokyo. On the other hand, to say that NST led the development of Bowser Fury does not seem to me to be substantiated information and is not based on anything factual.
it's kinda funny that this exact topic circles around constantly. we come to a pretty sensible, evidence-based conclusion and then someone brings it up again and it gets re-litigated as if we hadn't done it n-times before :D

(then again the same thing happens with that DK rumor)

It was documented and proven that they worked on the game, not that they directed the development of the game. That is perfectly factual and it is not controversial.

It was documented and proven that they worked on the game, not that they directed the development of the game. That is perfectly factual and it is not controversial.
just to be safe because this reads like a response to my response: I wasn't disagreeing with you or anything. It was meta-commentary on the discourse.

just to be safe because this reads like a response to my response: I wasn't disagreeing with you or anything. It was meta-commentary on the discourse.
Yes I understood that, and I Yeah'ed your reply because I agree with your observation.

Since I recently had the pleasure to replay Super Mario Odyssey here's something people might have forgotten: in the postgame Peach travels trough all the worlds of the game because she wants to explore the world, back in 2017 l distinctly remember this making me think "huh, I wonder if they'll make Peach playable in Odyssey 2 after this". Don't take this as me claiming it's 100% EPD Tokyo, but it would be somewhat similar to how the team moved from 3D World featuring Captain Toad levels to a full fledged Captain Toad game.

Since I recently had the pleasure to replay Super Mario Odyssey here's something people might have forgotten: in the postgame Peach travels trough all the worlds of the game because she wants to explore the world, back in 2017 l distinctly remember this making me think "huh, I wonder if they'll make Peach playable in Odyssey 2 after this". Don't take this as me claiming it's 100% EPD Tokyo, but it would be somewhat similar to how the team moved from 3D World featuring Captain Toad levels to a full fledged Captain Toad game.
well it is a 2D action game too :)

Just checked the WIPO database. Looks like they made a few new filings for Wario Land and Star Fox.

Previously Wario Land had a new filing in 2018, so they might have made a new one to have it closer to a release.

Star Fox is in a similar situation. After Starlink released, Star Fox received a new filing under only Category 9, rather than both 9 and 41. This leads me to believe that this will also lead to a new game, as cat 9 relates specifically to software.

If a remaster of Starfox Assault is really developed by Namco, the next Nintendo Direct is the perfect time to unveil it. This is the only major Nintendo IP that has not had a single entry on switch. Even f zero somehow had one.

If a remaster of Starfox Assault is really developed by Namco, the next Nintendo Direct is the perfect time to unveil it. This is the only major Nintendo IP that has not had a single entry on switch. Even f zero somehow had one.

Nintendo hiring a studio just to remake StarFox Assault would be personally weird, lol.

It was definitely held back significantly by the lack of online on the GameCube, but it was not very well liked...

Nintendo hiring a studio just to remake StarFox Assault would be personally weird, lol.

It was definitely held back significantly by the lack of online on the GameCube, but it was not very well liked...
Would it be that much weirder than hiring external studios just to remake Famicom Detective Club, Advance Wars, or Another Code? None of those were particularly big either (and judging by Metacritic, it's not like the Trace Memory/Another Code games were exactly critical darlings in their day)

Starfox is in kinda a weird spot where only one game is near-universally agreed upon as "great" and that game has already been rebooted/remade to heck. Seems like they don't know what direction to take the series in, so between Nintendo and Bamco still being close and Gamecube nostalgia hitting it's stride these days, I could kinda see the logic in just putting a new coat of paint on Assault, adding in online multiplayer, and seeing what happens. It's a low-stakes way of seeing how something that isn't simply "Starfox 64, again" fares in the current landscape versus 20 years ago

Just to clarify, I'm not saying Bamco is doing anything with Starfox. Just that it doesn't seem like the most outlandish thing if they are. Nintendo's made bigger efforts for "lesser"/more niche titles than Starfox Assault already

Last edited:
Just checked the WIPO database. Looks like they made a few new filings for Wario Land and Star Fox.

Previously Wario Land had a new filing in 2018, so they might have made a new one to have it closer to a release.

Star Fox is in a similar situation. After Starlink released, Star Fox received a new filing under only Category 9, rather than both 9 and 41. This leads me to believe that this will also lead to a new game, as cat 9 relates specifically to software.

It seems like these are listing specifically for regions they did not previously have a trademark registered in, rather than new global trademarks. The Star Fox filings occured all across last year so some aren't particularly recent anymore either.

Could be a sign for the future of the series, or it could just be standard IP protection; tough to say right now.

man you know something is niche when the game dont leak one week before its out. Nothing from another code is out in the internet :(

VGC once again coming in clutch by confirming (once and for all) that Arc System Works are the devs for Another Code, and listing a few core credits:

Director: Tetsuro Shoji (contrary to what Wikipedia currently has listed, was Director for Chase: Cold Case Investigations ~Distant Memories~, the spiritual successor to Hotel Dusk / Last Window that Kanasaki was Game / Character Designer for).

Art Director: Taisuke Kanasaki (already confirmed his involvement after the announcement).

Scenario and Story: Rika Suzuki

Was initially surprised by Suzuki's apparent involvement in the remakes given she's writing for another game right now, but I guess I shouldn't be; they really got the Cing gang back togther. Hopefully they can stick together to make more...

Last edited:
VGC once again coming in clutch by confirming (once and for all) that Arc System Works are the devs for Another Code, and listing a few core credits:

Director: Tetsuro Shoji
Art Director: Taisuke Kanasaki

Was initially surprised by Suzuki's apparent involvement in the remakes given she's writing for another game right now, but I guess I shouldn't be; they really got the Cing gang back togther. Hopefully they can stick together to make more...
ASW is a first time Nintendo collaborator right? That's awesome to see, I hope they continue working together. Nintendo needs more 3rd party collabs, it's worked very well since the Wii U days and Hyrule Warriors. It would be great if it reached levels seen on the GameCube when Star Fox, F-Zero and new IPs like Chibi Robo were frequently outsourced to 3rd party studios.

Yeah, I thought it would be Arc System Works but that's good to see. Hopefully this Cing/Nintendo spiritual reunion leads to a Kyle Hyde collection...
I could see the Kyle Hyde games performing better than Another Code too. Those always seemed more popular, Hotel Dusk especially

Yeah, I thought it would be Arc System Works but that's good to see. Hopefully this Cing/Nintendo spiritual reunion leads to a Kyle Hyde collection...
could this developer, been part of the 3 developers, Nintendo is in deep conversation to take care of it IP, Cristopher Dring: i also know that Nintendo is actively with independent developers to find new partners

could this developer, been part of the 3 developers, Nintendo is in deep conversation to take care of it IP, Cristopher Dring: i also know that Nintendo is actively with independent developers to find new partners

To be frank I think Dring's reporting here is pretty vague. Whatever conversations led to Another Code remake would've had to happen several years ago, so I doubt this is what Dring is referring to when he says "Nintendo are in talks with 3 companies" or something to that effect. Given Dring's based in the UK, he may have heard of new partnerships with UK or European developers:

Nintendo regularly works with third-party teams, including Bandai Namco, Team Ninja, Platinum Games, MercurySteam, WayForward and Grezzo. But the company is looking to add to that roster, and I know of three studios that are deep in conversation around making games based on Nintendo brands.

The wording here suggests that deals haven't been signed with these three studios; "deep in conversation" doesn't equate active or complete development, though I think the whole suggestion here is both vague and logical. Saying "Nintendo are looking for new development partners" should come as no surprise to anyone. They've had at least a dozen first-time partnerships since 2017, and Arc System Works is just the latest.

Good to know. Because I was listening to the NVC from IGN and they finished the game but for some reason did not know who made it? I guess they did not look at the credits, unless they were expecting the logo to pop up at the beginning.

We talk a lot about dormant IPs and existing IPs, but I must admit I'm very keen to see a major new project that's completely innovative. Neither Splatoon nor Arms particularly interest me personally, but on the other hand I think it's great that EPD is trying things out.

I'd love to see them finally try something new that isn't specifically multiplayer-oriented.

We talk a lot about dormant IPs and existing IPs, but I must admit I'm very keen to see a major new project that's completely innovative. Neither Splatoon nor Arms particularly interest me personally, but on the other hand I think it's great that EPD is trying things out.

I'd love to see them finally try something new that isn't specifically multiplayer-oriented.
Maybe an epd 3 minor game?

Others have already said it, but I wouldn't be surprised if Shinya Saito pushed for these remakes, seeing as how he now leads EPD 2. I wonder who approached who first.

To be frank I think Dring's reporting here is pretty vague. Whatever conversations led to Another Code remake would've had to happen several years ago, so I doubt this is what Dring is referring to when he says "Nintendo are in talks with 3 companies" or something to that effect. Given Dring's based in the UK, he may have heard of new partnerships with UK or European developers:

The wording here suggests that deals haven't been signed with these three studios; "deep in conversation" doesn't equate active or complete development, though I think the whole suggestion here is both vague and logical. Saying "Nintendo are looking for new development partners" should come as no surprise to anyone. They've had at least a dozen first-time partnerships since 2017, and Arc System Works is just the latest.
Given Dring's most recent banger, it's really nothing worth spending brain sweat on given that, as you said as well, for one it's an obvious thing to do for Nintendo, and also super vague and empty calories in terms of information.

Like, if we rewind back, say, a decade (timeframe picked at random), you could have made that statement at any point in time and you'd have been correct and later pointed to any number of games and then said "see, I was teasing these projects and partnerships".

This is essentially the same tier of rumor-creating-speculation that good ol' Marcus Sellars classics like "I hear they're working on a new Mario Party" used to be before that clown got nuked off the internet somehow (I guess people moved on to new favorites with more juicy claims).
Good to know. Because I was listening to the NVC from IGN and they finished the game but for some reason did not know who made it? I guess they did not look at the credits, unless they were expecting the logo to pop up at the beginning.
Not too surprising as games media people rarely care to look at credits or think twice about who actually made a game, going by years of people live-googling during podcast recordings or simply shrugging it off entirely.

Hopefully Playtonic are one of the three if that's the case. Also Free Radical would've been perfect too, as Nintendo working with the OG GoldenEye team again would've made huge waves.

Hopefully Playtonic are one of the three if that's the case. Also Free Radical would've been perfect too, as Nintendo working with the OG GoldenEye team again would've made huge waves.
who?

They'd have been in talks with Embracer then most likely and having a Nintendo contract would probably have saved that studio. Given this incredibly unlikely scenario, it's not much more than a pipe-dream.

we never really know who develop nintendo games unless the dev always do the same franchise like fire emblem, kirby and nintendo epd internal titles, where we can assume its the same and almost always its correct.

wait the source for arc systems thing is this thread lmao so its famiboards>vgc>famiboards
classic.
(seriously, though, this larger community [I'm including the kyoto report gang in this], are the only people who really care to look into who's behind the generic "Nintendo" label 90% of the time, and that's quite sad.)

Director: Tetsuro Shoji (contrary to what Wikipedia currently has listed, was Director for Chase: Cold Case Investigations ~Distant Memories~, the spiritual successor to Hotel Dusk / Last Window that Kanasaki was Game / Character Designer for).

Art Director: Taisuke Kanasaki (already confirmed his involvement after the announcement).

You made me just remember... Suzuki is writing that Hitler Estate game right?

wait the source for arc systems thing is this thread lmao so its famiboards>vgc>famiboards

I did notice the link to my own post (appreciate it!) but they've clearly seen the credits themselves given the listed staff, and the director is also at ArcSys, so I have to imagine it is accurate.

Saw the ending posted on Youtube but as I scan through the video, it only includes the cast and the credits for the song used in the ending. Rei Kondoh is credited on the arrangement so that means T's Music is composing/arranging but, I guess we have to look harder for the rest of the staff

Cing?
Nintendo?

Reunion?

If I'm not mistaken, Marvelous, a pretty close collaborator with Nintendo across No Heroes 3 et al., remains the owner of Little King's Story, and while ASW's relevance to a possible Switch port is shaky, or even, none, it does make me think, why on earth HASN'T such an iconic game ended up on Switch?

Cing?
Nintendo?

Reunion?

If I'm not mistaken, Marvelous, a pretty close collaborator with Nintendo across No Heroes 3 et al., remains the owner of Little King's Story, and while ASW's relevance to a possible Switch port is shaky, or even, none, it does make me think, why on earth HASN'T such an iconic game ended up on Switch?
Little King's Story would be more fitting by Onion Games who of course was formed by the creator Yoshiro Kimura and brought Moon to Switch and are making its successor Stray Children exclusively for Switch.

Surely Onion could get say Engine Software who did No More Heroes 1 and 2 for Switch to do Little King's Story as well.

Little King's Story would be more fitting by Onion Games who of course was formed by the creator Yoshiro Kimura and brought Moon to Switch and are making its successor Stray Children exclusively for Switch.

Surely Onion could get say Engine Software who did No More Heroes 1 and 2 for Switch to do Little King's Story as well.
Marvelous are who own the rights, not ASW nor Onion. Marvelous is ultimately who controls whether it gets made or not, and who chooses who gets a say in the matter. It's unfortunate but the reality of the situation, even if I'd love to see them "get the gang back together".

Back
Top Bottom