• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

are they? outside of Mario Sunshine they haven't touched a Gamecube game since Wind Waker HD came out a decade ago now (if we're generous we're including Twilight Princess HD from 2016 here).

if you're gonna list off the games that just exist in rumorland I'm gonna throw a red shell at you
Luigi's mansion got a full remake in 2018 but it's definitely a stretch to say they're pushing hard on the GameCube front.

It's more of a remaster than a remake.
it's a 3DS portmake^^

Sure no problem:

• Metroid Prime Remastered
  • Baten Kaitos
  • Wind Waker
  • Twilight Princess
  • Metroid Prime 2
  • F Zero GX
  • Wario Lane: Shake Dimension

All I am humbly doing is adding TTYD to this list
tumblr_m5wk2lF3fE1r0ralmo1_500.gif

you literally just did what I basically warned you not to do lol

none of these games exist outside of the two that I already mentioned (WW/TP). half of these are just empty dreams that have been laughable rumors for years or they're trademarks that don't really mean anything. I don't even know what F-Zero and Wario Land are doing there, is this your wishlist?

I was asking what GameCube games Nintendo has rereleased recently. Wind Waker HD (2013), Twilight Princess HD (2016) and Super Mario Sunshine in the All-Stars package are the only GCN games they did anything with. Random rumors have no place here.

Great finding!
With how fast they've put Strikers Battle League after LM3, and as that game had like half the team(somebody correct me please), I think it's pretty likely they can get another game by holiday 2024(if it follows the same marketing strategy as LM3 we might see it revealed this September Direct!).
I wonder what that could be. Luigi's Mansion 4 is the safest possible assumption. Hope it's cross gen. But I hope they can make another minor project in between. Don't think it's gonna be Punch Out. Wonder what a new IP by them and EPD could be.
I think most of NLG worked on Battle League. It just doesn't look like that because there were a lot of contractors on Luigi's Mansion 3 that had already left at that point.

The only real indication that they've been working on another project even before Battle League is that Bryce Holliday and a handful of other designers were only credited under "Additional Work" despite apparently still working there. Akiya Sakamoto from EPD 6 wasn't credited either, despite working on every other NLG title published by Nintendo.

I guess it isn't dissimilar to Luigi's Mansion 3 being in pre-production since the Wii U days. Whatever they're working on now probably didn't begin full production until the latter half of last year.

Last edited:
I think most of NLG worked on Battle League. It just doesn't look like that because there were a lot of contractors on Luigi's Mansion 3 that had already left at that point.

The only real indication that they've been working on another project even before Battle League is that Bryce Holliday and a handful of other designers were only credited under "Additional Work" despite apparently still working there. Akiya Sakamoto from EPD 6 wasn't credited either, despite working on every other NLG title published by Nintendo.

I guess it isn't dissimilar to Luigi's Mansion 3 being in pre-production since the Wii U days. Whatever they're working on now probably didn't begin full production until the latter half of last year.
Thanks for the insight! So I guess part of the leads went to prototyping/pre-production of Luigi's Mansion 4/whatever they come with next, while the full team moved on to Battle League that didn't need the same amount of contract work and outsourcing as LM3 and by its nature would be done quicker.

Hope we can see whatever they have next year for a release in 2025 then - unless there is a small scale game in development alongside LM4 that can come earlier.

LM3 is an awesome game, one of the best looking on the Switch, it's sold very well, and the series brings something unique that doesn't exist elsewhere, both in terms of gameplay and art direction.

It is amazing to read that this series should be put aside, and NLG has shown that they are the best possible choice to be the developers. If on the current hardware LM3 is technically excellent, I imagine that NLG will take advantage of the next generation to deliver an even greater and more ambitious experience.

LM3 is an awesome game, one of the best looking on the Switch, it's sold very well, and the series brings something unique that doesn't exist elsewhere, both in terms of gameplay and art direction.

It is amazing to read that this series should be put aside, and NLG has shown that they are the best possible choice to be the developers. If on the current hardware LM3 is technically excellent, I imagine that NLG will take advantage of the next generation to deliver an even greater and more ambitious experience.
nobody has said that though?

It's more of a remaster than a remake.

Despite how square has attempted to butcher the terms in the public consciousness, I still argue that for sure, it's not a remaster.

They gave the graphics a nice tune up, often to specifically look more like 2 (and consequently 3), added several new significant features, including co-op and the first appearance of Gooigi in the series, as well as other features from later games like the strobulb.

Stuff like FF7 remake isn't even a remake, and that's never been more clear than with the second and third parts dropping that part of the title entirely, it was just a clever way to get another FF7 spin off out the door but with a smart marketing tool to get more hype

the remake/remaster debate is a doom spiral that will never conclude in any way that makes sense. let's not derail the first party dev thread with more of that please.

That's your opinion. Games like OOT3D & MM3D are not remakes but remasters.
RE4 (2023) and FF7 (2020) are actual remakes.

And that's your opinion, because those games aren't remakes outside of being bluntly used as a marketing tool.
The very first paragraph of OOT3Ds Wikipedia page calls it a remake, so it's not just me that disagrees with you. And MM3D made sweeping changes that a bunch of people absolutely detest, which clearly puts it out of the remaster regime.

But like the moon said, there's nowhere for this line of discussion to actually go, so I'm just going to drop it here.

damn…I thought they were doing another Zelda thing. Hopefully they port the 3DS Zelda to switch

Which ones do you mean? If you're talking about.Ocarina of time and Majora, it's probably not happening. Nintendo is probably happy enough with the n64 versions on NSO, which is a shame because I have zero interest in going back to those versions of the game after the great updates on the 3DS.

Link between worlds is a little bit out there, but could happen if somebody wills it.

And if you mean Triforce heroes, you're probably the only person on the planet who has asked for that!

My ideal reality would be that they've been allowed to make a full new 2D Zelda, but that might be a pipe dream. Oracle of ages/Seasons could be happening, and would also justify the long release gap (compared to their very prolific 3DS output), since that's two full games.

Speaking of OOT3D and MM3D, wtf has Grezzo been working on since LA?
Besides Miitopia:

2021kinkyu_header.jpg

Trademark was filed by Grezzo itself and not Nintendo, so it may not be a first-party release.

afaik I'm the only person here who thinks they should retire Luigi's Mansion outright, come for me instead

the thing about that was that they should squeeze in something new/different BEFORE they do LM4 already.
I also really want to see NLG working on something else, I even liked Federation Forces! But I think LM has become something big, and to think of anything else is to deny the development time that an ambitious project needs these days. Of course, after LM4, like everyone else, I fantasize about the next Starfox or the next F-Zero or the next Mario and Luigi by NLG, but to think that LM4 is secondary and that we will see later does not, in my opinion, make at all justice to the importance and quality of this series.

I also really want to see NLG working on something else, I even liked Federation Forces! But I think LM has become something big, and to think of anything else is to deny the development time that an ambitious project needs these days. Of course, after LM4, like everyone else, I fantasize about the next Starfox or the next F-Zero or the next Mario and Luigi by NLG, but to think that LM4 is secondary and that we will see later does not, in my opinion, make at all justice to the importance and quality of this series.
They don't do assembly line sequels, though. one per platform is usually the rule for most franchises, especially the more unique ones. that has nothing to do with the quality of Luigi's Mansion one way or another, they just don't want these to wear out their welcome and that is why their "evergreen" strategy exists where by EVERYONE else's "common sense" logic we would have seen like two new Mario Karts since 2017 and yet they're still selling the souped up version of a game they put out 9 years ago because that is how their evergreen approach works. And what is more evergreen than Green Mario (lol sorry that just came to me and I couldn't not). That's also how you keep these feeling fresh when the changes aren't that big.

NLG has a solid foundation now for HD Luigi Mansion where they can probably whip up a new one fairly quickly without needing to reinvent a lot of wheels for either the current Switch or the follow-up platform or cross-platform even. That is, in part, why I'd really like one other non-Mansion, non-Strikers project from them before they return with Luigi M4nsion.

They released their last game and then DLC in 2022. Again, I think you have to consider the development time that a game takes, whether we all like it or not. LM4 is not going to be developed in one year. And being ambitious means taking advantage of the next generation of hardware, in my humble opinion, instead of just wanting another HD sequel based on LM3. I'm not sure you can compare a multiplayer game released on wii u with a single player game that sold over 10 million on Switch. Green Mario makes me laugh a lot though.

FF7R is a sequel to Advent Children instead of a remake unfortunately.

"Remake" vs. "remaster" is difficult to define precisely so it's a little better to just focus on how ambitious the remake was.

They released their last game and then DLC in 2022. Again, I think you have to consider the development time that a game takes, whether we all like it or not. LM4 is not going to be developed in one year. And being ambitious means taking advantage of the next generation of hardware, in my humble opinion, instead of just wanting another HD sequel based on LM3. I'm not sure you can compare a multiplayer game released on wii u with a single player game that sold over 10 million on Switch. Green Mario makes me laugh a lot though.
I didn't say any of that though :D
didn't say it would take a year, didn't compare strikers to lm3, so I'm not sure what to take away from this^^

We can only speculate at this point but I would say they probably worked on the Zelda OOS/OOA remasters and are currently working on this rumored new IP (Jet Dragon).

And of course Miitopia.
it does amuse me that you earlier got hung up on the remaster/remake thing and now you call it OOS/OOA "remasters" when anything you wound up doing to those games now would be one of the easiest cases of calling something a remake these days^^ (because they would not be remastering Game Boy roms, they'd make the game again like with Link's Awakening^^)

I didn't say any of that though :D
didn't say it would take a year, didn't compare strikers to lm3, so I'm not sure what to take away from this^^
I just think that not working on LM4 now means releasing it very late, unless you completely neglect the time that this kind of project takes.

I just think that not working on LM4 now means releasing it very late, unless you completely neglect the time that this kind of project takes.
which is why I said they have successfully laid the tech groundwork for making an HD one of these already it doesn't need to take another 6 years (total distance from LM2, ignoring MPFF in 2016)^^

anyway, who knows how it'll shake out. maybe they drop Punch Out!! Deluxe in September lol

We can only speculate at this point but I would say they probably worked on the Zelda OOS/OOA remasters and are currently working on this rumored new IP (Jet Dragon).

And of course Miitopia.
Jet Dragon? Wtf????

Where was the rumor for this

Jet Dragon? Wtf????

Where was the rumor for this
Look a few posts above - Grezzo were hiring for a new IP and recently they trademarked "Jet Dragon":

Besides Miitopia:

2021kinkyu_header.jpg

Trademark was filed by Grezzo itself and not Nintendo, so it may not be a first-party release.

We can only speculate at this point but I would say they probably worked on the Zelda OOS/OOA remasters
While I would love to tackle those games again myself, I am doubtful that they've been working on these. They release a game about every 2 years, and they've just trademarked new IP. I'm not sure they've had time to develop OOS/OOA, which would be a much larger lift than Link's Awakening.

Actually I'd love it if they could dig out the original Line Attack Heroes that was built for Wii retail and remaster that. It sadly got massively downgraded to be a WiiWare game in the end, and never left Japan to boot, despite the OG version being in English at E3 2009. :(

I kinda wonder if that rumored Genealogy is true. I also wonder if it's too soon for them to discuss it since Engage just came out. Maybe it'll be saved for E3 or September Direct if it exists. It would be interesting to see how far along it is too, since supposedly Engage was finished in 2021. This is assuming, of course, that the FE4 remake is real.

I kinda wonder if that rumored Genealogy is true. I also wonder if it's too soon for them to discuss it since Engage just came out. Maybe it'll be saved for E3 or September Direct if it exists. It would be interesting to see how far along it is too, since supposedly Engage was finished in 2021. This is assuming, of course, that the FE4 remake is real.
I doubt we'll see another FE game this year. there's still a whole slew of DLC for Engage to go through

Intelligent Systems won't cut off Engage's legs with the remake. I bet on a February 2024 Direct announcement.

Actually I'd love it if they could dig out the original Line Attack Heroes that was built for Wii retail and remaster that. It sadly got massively downgraded to be a WiiWare game in the end, and never left Japan to boot, despite the OG version being in English at E3 2009. :(
the massive fanboy points they could score with a "retired eShop/Shop Channel collection" disc that is just a massive bundle of those finished games that they ported to Switch, simple upscale remaster job, nothing fancy, just make it clean and run well and figure out the controls and give us good bangers like Fluidity + Spin Cycle, Line Attack Heroes, the ~mo series, Sakura Samurai, etc all that good shit. Use the Ring Fit leg strap for Rock n Roll Climber since there's no Switch balance board or something lol :(

What if Nintendo did with Gamecube on Switch what they did with the NES Classics line on GBA? A Gamecube Classics line of barebones re-releases in a limited edition run, aimed at collectors. I think those would sell out pretty fast, if their other limited edition runs on Switch have indicated.

Might also "justify" a more budget retail price that would meet in the middle of what fans would feel justifiable for the content, and what Nintendo would deem appreciable for a retail release for their legacy IPs.

The NES Classics line was a series of emulated titles in a time before digital distribution. It's probably not going to much like that. They also weren't really a limited run. A few of them sold in the millions.
The idea of Gamecube remasters are more for calendar filler anyhow. Low budget releases aren't necessary especially when they haven't done a Nintendo Selects line. No major publisher is going to make a simple emulated rerelease as a notable part of their lineup.

now we can talk about a small GameCube spree
(I don't mess with shoddy rumors, I like good information)

first one to post who's in the credits for Metroid Prime Remastered gets a digital cookie

wondering if Honne's team at MonolithSoft Kyoto was involved in the BK remasters

Starting to feel like Nintendo is about to go much harder on variable pricing now that they're exporting $70 Zelda to the US and releasing Metroid Prime at $40. $70 is for the biggest of the big budgets (Zelda et al) while most releases are otherwise $60 and remasters that don't change much outside of graphics get the budget designation. It is hard to figure out Nintendo's thought process though

My take:

30 dollars for the cheap games and cashgrabs - mario sports, baseball, tennis, etc.
40 dollars for the remasters - Metroid Prime
60 dollars for the middle sized games that arent quite AAA but still very much quality - i wont give examples
70 dollars for the AAA shit - i also wont give examples

My take:

30 dollars for the cheap games and cashgrabs - mario sports, baseball, tennis, etc.
40 dollars for the remasters - Metroid Prime
60 dollars for the middle sized games that arent quite AAA but still very much quality - i wont give examples
70 dollars for the AAA shit - i also wont give examples
Feel like this where the industry in general is heading, since Sony's been doing the same thing.

People have been dreaming about "variable pricing" for years and it's never really panned out as they would have hoped. Consider yourself fortunate if the Mario sports games stay at $60 instead of rising to meet TotK's price

People have been dreaming about "variable pricing" for years and it's never really panned out as they would have hoped. Consider yourself fortunate if the Mario sports games stay at $60 instead of rising to meet TotK's price
I want to believe that mpr is a sign of nintendo not being this stupid

Nintendo heard what y'all were saying, about them having a quiet year. That Direct was awesome. Can't wait for what they reveal, this summer!

Nintendo are releasing a full price Kirby remaster the same month as the lower price Metroid remaster. I don't think Prime's lower price point is indicative of a change of price for remasters; I think it's because Nintendo are planning on getting Prime 2 and 3 out before Prime 4 and they think the lower price points will make purchasing the trilogy separately more palatable.

Also - any indication Sumo Digital were involved in this? My hunch is they assisted Retro, and are handling remasters of 2 and 3. Assuming - for obvious reasons - Prime Remastered is the game Retro finished back in September 2021, the lengthy gap between completion and release could have been to give Sumo (or another studio) time to get 2 and 3 working and upgraded on Switch.

Come back in 4 to 6 months for another sudden Prime release (I hope!).

Back
Top Bottom