• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

that would be a bad idea given the last two games before the series was iced were remakes. Superstar Saga DX being a remake itself would make this super redundant.
I'd argue the franchise being stuck on the 3DS contributed to that way more than anything else. Most of the Switch's consumer base either never had a 3DS or had long since checked out of it by the time Superstar Saga DX released.

Putting it on Switch would have quite a bit less upside than a brand new game, no doubt, but I don't really see the redundancy being an issue here. If there's doubts about finding a good home for it, a remaster makes plenty of sense in my eyes.

I'd argue the franchise being stuck on the 3DS contributed to that way more than anything else. Most of the Switch's consumer base either never had a 3DS or had long since checked out of it by the time Superstar Saga DX released.

Putting it on Switch would have quite a bit less upside than a brand new game, no doubt, but I don't really see the redundancy being an issue here. If there's doubts about finding a good home for it, a remaster makes plenty of sense in my eyes.
that's part of what he was getting at: alphadream wasn't equipped to make a switch game, full stop

that's part of what he was getting at: alphadream wasn't equipped to make a switch game, full stop
Sure, I never argued otherwise, but I don't really see how that's relevant here. AlphaDream's situation doesn't really influence who takes over the franchise and how they do so, if it happens at all.

We've seen Nintendo make the remaster/remake to new game transition successfully before, and M&L has multiple games that could be remastered for the Switch. It's a great candidate for that type of plan, and Superstar Saga feels like the most ideal candidate in my eyes.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that out of the ~115 million Switch owners, there's not a lot of overlap with those 76 million 3DS owners...

We're not talking about the Wii U here. The 3DS did numbers and dominated several year-end holidays.

Those comparatively simple looking top-down games just weren't it at that time on that platform in terms of what rocked the boat.

image.png
new Punch-Out!! confirmed :love::love::love:

Yeah so I found this LinkedIn account from a tweet on his Twitter saying he got laid off from Gasket Games Corp (Gasket Games Corp also did additional work on Mario Strikers: Battle League for NLG). I then decided to check his LinkedIn and now he has a job at Next Level Games!

I wouldn't go as far as to say that out of the ~115 million Switch owners, there's not a lot of overlap with those 76 million 3DS owners...

We're not talking about the Wii U here. The 3DS did numbers and dominated several year-end holidays.

Those comparatively simple looking top-down games just weren't it at that time on that platform in terms of what rocked the boat.
I’d be willing to bet a significant portion of those 76M users had more or less dropped the system by that point in time though. Lifelong sales don’t equate to end of life engagement, especially when the successor was taking the industry by storm at the time.

In the last few years of the 3DS’s life, most of that overlap had long since moved on to the Switch. Maybe they’d pop in a Pokémon or something like that, but there’s no denying that the engagement was nowhere close to where it had been at its peak.

So it says Contract Full time but they mentioned "temporary contract". Does that mean they work full time but have temporary responsibilities on that project? Or they started as temporary and are now full time?
they're not a "full" NLG employee, they're working "full time" (however many hours a week is considered full-time over there) on the game but the nature of contract work is temporary. when the game ships or reaches whatever milestone, the contract is up and they leave.

I’d be willing to bet a significant portion of those 76M users had more or less dropped the system by that point in time though. Lifelong sales don’t equate to end of life engagement, especially when the successor was taking the industry by storm at the time.

In the last few years of the 3DS’s life, most of that overlap had long since moved on to the Switch. Maybe they’d pop in a Pokémon or something like that, but there’s no denying that the engagement was nowhere close to where it had been at its peak.
Obviously. I'm just taking issue with the framing of "most Switch owners likely never owned a 3DS [or had checked out]" when I find it way more likely that most of them did have a 3DS. In its last year, none of the new games were really hitting outside of Samus Returns doing quite well considering that franchise's history and the timing.

Time time for these sorts of games on 3DS in general was over, though, sadly.

Great finding!
With how fast they've put Strikers Battle League after LM3, and as that game had like half the team(somebody correct me please), I think it's pretty likely they can get another game by holiday 2024(if it follows the same marketing strategy as LM3 we might see it revealed this September Direct!).
I wonder what that could be. Luigi's Mansion 4 is the safest possible assumption. Hope it's cross gen. But I hope they can make another minor project in between. Don't think it's gonna be Punch Out. Wonder what a new IP by them and EPD could be.

I pray it wont be lm4

Let it be said: k love lm3. Its gorgeous, has tremendous animation and is by fsr the most creative of all three games.
I dont want lm3 part 2.

I hope nlg is not planning on becoming a mario spin off factory because that would suck hard, they did so many different games back then. I do believe they re doing dev support for retro studios on mp4 tho.

Im not saying lm4 shouldnt ne made, but i hope that their next game will be a surprise. I hope its not punch out either, i dont think we would get a much better game than lets say... mario strikers.

My ideal wish would be that it was a new kid icarus game.

Great finding!
With how fast they've put Strikers Battle League after LM3, and as that game had like half the team(somebody correct me please), I think it's pretty likely they can get another game by holiday 2024(if it follows the same marketing strategy as LM3 we might see it revealed this September Direct!).
I wonder what that could be. Luigi's Mansion 4 is the safest possible assumption. Hope it's cross gen. But I hope they can make another minor project in between. Don't think it's gonna be Punch Out. Wonder what a new IP by them and EPD could be.
I don't think Luigi 4 is a "safe" assumption since they're not at all into assembly line sequels. This would be way too soon for another one of these imo. Although late 2024 would already be 5 years again I guess...

I pray it wont be lm4

Let it be said: k love lm3. Its gorgeous, has tremendous animation and is by fsr the most creative of all three games.
I dont want lm3 part 2.

I hope nlg is not planning on becoming a mario spin off factory because that would suck hard, they did so many different games back then. I do believe they re doing dev support for retro studios on mp4 tho.

Im not saying lm4 shouldnt ne made, but i hope that their next game will be a surprise. I hope its not punch out either, i dont think we would get a much better game than lets say... mario strikers.

My ideal wish would be that it was a new kid icarus game.
They can be a mario spin-off factory, as long as it's different spin-offs!

I don't think Luigi 4 is a "safe" assumption since they're not at all into assembly line sequels. This would be way too soon for another one of these imo. Although late 2024 would already be 5 years again I guess...

They can be a mario spin-off factory, as long as it's different spin-offs!
Yes, mario baseball, mario strikers, mario sports mix.

I honestly hope NLG's next game is a new IP, or at least something non-Mario related. I think they deserve a shot at something original after proving themselves with the Mario IP.

It would be nice to get more new IP in general from Nintendo. Especially character driven IP. RingFit is great, but something character driven would be a lot nicer.
Ring Fit is character driven I'd say

Give NLG the Star Fox IP. They could do wonderful things with it, for sure.

I enjoy Luigi's Mansion but I am not chomping at the bit for a part 4. Remasters of 1 and 2 on Switch (or the Succ) would be good but not necessarily needed to be done by NLG themselves.

Yeah, NLG are probably THE finest in terms of animation and character expression in Nintendo's entire umbrella. They should use their immense talent in this to craft a new IP in the vein of Banjo or Crash. Nintendo doesn't have a western-born platformer anymore since Rare left and that was already 20 years ago.

it kinda does. not many Nintendo IPs live on if they had a dedicated team dismissed. with AlphaDream championing M&L since the start, the lack of them effectively kills the M&L series
Ironically, the team may have moved to Arzest since a chunk of the loads are credited in Fantasian which Arzest did with Mistwalker, and Arzest just so happened to have done the giant battles in Bowser's Inside Story 3DS. And by pure coincidence, Arzest co-developed Mario & Sonic Rio 3DS, while AD helped out on M&S Tokyo 2020 on Switch.

Good Feel on the other hand did the giant battles in Dream Team.

Yeah, NLG are probably THE finest in terms of animation and character expression in Nintendo's entire umbrella. They should use their immense talent in this to craft a new IP in the vein of Banjo or Crash. Nintendo doesn't have a western-born platformer anymore since Rare left and that was already 20 years ago.

I guess my immediate question would be why do they need a 'western born' platformer at all?

Particularly when it comes to platformers, they have some of the biggest i.p. in the industry, so if you're making an argument to try making a new one, which is a risk at the best of times, you had best be sure it wouldn't have been better suited as a Mario/DK/Kirby/Yoshi/Wario/Splatoon/... (the list goes on) entry or spinoff.

Mario+Rabbids 2 being a massive sales disappointment for Ubisoft makes me think we probably won't have many RPGish Mario games other than Paper Mario for a long while.

Ironically, the team may have moved to Arzest since a chunk of the loads are credited in Fantasian which Arzest did with Mistwalker, and Arzest just so happened to have done the giant battles in Bowser's Inside Story 3DS. And by pure coincidence, Arzest co-developed Mario & Sonic Rio 3DS, while AD helped out on M&S Tokyo 2020 on Switch.

Good Feel on the other hand did the giant battles in Dream Team.
with Arzest and Good Feel being led by different people, any Mario game they would make would feel quite different from M&L. and that's probably for the better.

I think a good IP for NLG would be Pro Wrestling. The wacky antics of wrestling would be something that their animators could really flex with, and it would fit with their sports history.

Being a very old and unused IP from the 80's would also give them a lot of freedom to do what they want with it.

I think a good IP for NLG would be Pro Wrestling. The wacky antics of wrestling would be something that their animators could really flex with, and it would fit with their sports history.

Being a very old and unused IP from the 80's would also give them a lot of freedom to do what they want with it.

I mean, sure, but they could also do any genre with a new IP (and this would basically be a new IP) and I don't know if wrestling video games are even popular in 2023.

It's hard to tell exactly what games they want to do and what they're good at other than Luigi's Mansion as they've made so many types of games and they've been... hit or miss other than Luigi's Mansion.

Makes it hard to speculate on what genre they would excel at for a new title that wasn't LM.

it kinda does. not many Nintendo IPs live on if they had a dedicated team dismissed. with AlphaDream championing M&L since the start, the lack of them effectively kills the M&L series
Reminder that nintendo actively thought metroid prime 4 was worth the hassle of forming a new AAA team to handle it after retro studios didnt want it anymore. Nobody can say nintendo doesnt invests in metroid.

Cknsidering nintendo's ventures into sports games id prefer ifnit was a single player game in a traditional sense.

I guess my immediate question would be why do they need a 'western born' platformer at all?

Particularly when it comes to platformers, they have some of the biggest i.p. in the industry, so if you're making an argument to try making a new one, which is a risk at the best of times, you had best be sure it wouldn't have been better suited as a Mario/DK/Kirby/Yoshi/Wario/Splatoon/... (the list goes on) entry or spinoff.
this. we really need to move on from wanting them to recreate n64-era output.

*puts fingers into ears*
okay so about that wave race you mentioned, Takahashi...

Next Level Games should make a 3D Wario game purely because of how gloriously they will animate Wario (that and treasure-hunting exploration gameplay suits Wario and NLG are good at that).

But they absolutely need to ramp it up with disgusting and weird abilities and manic action set pieces.

Funny you should say that:

Reminder that nintendo actively thought metroid prime 4 was worth the hassle of forming a new AAA team to handle it after retro studios didnt want it anymore. Nobody can say nintendo doesnt invests in metroid.
I mean, Sakamoto and Tanabe always had Metroid on the mind in some way. the fact they have enough pull to get these done show that Metroid won't completely be dead. who's M&L's producer?

I just don't know that Nintendo should or would feel the need to stick with Mario & Luigi as a brand or its mechanics or style if they want to do another Mario RPG series.

Something like Super Paper Mario or Kingdom Hearts or even Hades might make more sense than another Mario & Luigi.

I mean, Sakamoto and Tanabe always had Metroid on the mind in some way. the fact they have enough pull to get these done show that Metroid won't completely be dead. who's M&L's producer?
They cant approve stuff by themselves im sure, an investment of that sose would have to be seen as profitable.
I doubt for example that star fox would get the same treatment even if tanabe was a producer on that game.
Donkey Kong only got revived because retro wanted to move on from metroid.

No idea who is M&L producer.

Would love a new platformer IP, it's my favorite genre and there aren't a lot of platformer series right now from big budget companies.

I think the stars are aligning for a return to Paper Mario as an RPG series.

• We know from developer interviews that Nintendo didn't see why there should be two Mario PRG series, and Alpha Dream was in charge of Mario & Luigi
  • Fans have been yelling at Nintendo for over a decade that they want Paper Mario to return to its RPG roots
  • Alpha Dream went out of business in 2019, when Origami King was deep into production
  • Nintendo is on a Gamecube remaster kick recently, because they want to have some filler titles during the lull between generations and because there's too much value in some of them right now to throw them on NSO quite yet

I think Paper Mario: TTYD will be remastered in the next year or so and if that does well, Paper Mario will return as an RPG series and Mario & Luigi is likely dead.

This is a random question, but does "EAD Tokyo" still exist? I know EPD Group 8 does 3D Mario stuff, but do we know if they still work out of the Tokyo office, or did they move to Kyoto when the new development center was built?

This is a random question, but does "EAD Tokyo" still exist? I know EPD Group 8 does 3D Mario stuff, but do we know if they still work out of the Tokyo office, or did they move to Kyoto when the new development center was built?
yes they still exist. they live in the same building as Game Freak and one of HAL's studios now

The goal of having a Tokyo division was to spread out their development unit to more area than just Kyoto. Having them fold back to Kyoto would defeated its purpose.

Anyway, as ILikeFeet said it's still exists. Probably as EPD Tokyo now but I don't know if Nintendo even address with that name.

The new development center in Kyoto? That doesn't exist yet; won't finish construction until around 2027.

EPD Tokyo moved into Kanda Square in 2020 alongside Nintendo PTD Tokyo, 1-Up Studio, HAL's head office and main studio, and Game Freak; and I can't imagine they'll ever fold back into Kyoto since that'd go against the point of their existance.

Still the dream, for me.

Hell, as far as I'm concerned, the only "EPD collaboration" that'd be necessary is calling back Takaya Imamura out of retirement for character designs.
He's not even retired; he's making a Switch-exclusive indie game as we speak!

He's not even retired; he's making a Switch-exclusive indie game as we speak!

Well, retired from Nintendo, at least!

But good to see he's still doing what he likes! And all the more reason to he can come back, whenever Falcon and/or Fox are ready to go back in action, once more.

Still the dream, for me.

Hell, as far as I'm concerned, the only "EPD collaboration" that'd be necessary is calling back Takaya Imamura out of retirement for character designs.
Ko Takeuchi was called back for the character design of Wario Ware Gold and Get it Together!, so it's not outside the realms of possibility.

Imamura has stated in recent interviews that he would be more than willing to return to work on Nintendo's games if they gave him the call, so it's certainly still an option.

They cant approve stuff by themselves im sure, an investment of that sose would have to be seen as profitable.
I doubt for example that star fox would get the same treatment even if tanabe was a producer on that game.
Donkey Kong only got revived because retro wanted to move on from metroid.

No idea who is M&L producer.
Star Fox is a Miyamoto baby. Star Fox can happen whenever he wants to and at whatever level.

We know how they work, they've talked about this enough times: if the pitch is good and they see potential, it's-a-go time.
  • Nintendo is on a Gamecube remaster kick recently, because they want to have some filler titles during the lull between generations and because there's too much value in some of them right now to throw them on NSO quite yet
are they? outside of Mario Sunshine they haven't touched a Gamecube game since Wind Waker HD came out a decade ago now (if we're generous we're including Twilight Princess HD from 2016 here).

if you're gonna list off the games that just exist in rumorland I'm gonna throw a red shell at you

Star Fox is a Miyamoto baby. Star Fox can happen whenever he wants to and at whatever level.

We know how they work, they've talked about this enough times: if the pitch is good and they see potential, it's-a-go time.

are they? outside of Mario Sunshine they haven't touched a Gamecube game since Wind Waker HD came out a decade ago now (if we're generous we're including Twilight Princess HD from 2016 here).

if you're gonna list off the games that just exist in rumorland I'm gonna throw a red shell at you

Sure no problem:

• Metroid Prime Remastered
  • Baten Kaitos
  • Wind Waker
  • Twilight Princess
  • Metroid Prime 2
  • F Zero GX
  • Wario Lane: Shake Dimension

All I am humbly doing is adding TTYD to this list

Then miyamoto really doesnt likes star fox lol.

And lets not put tanabe and sakamoto on the same level as miyamoto because they arent. Yes i doubt there would be many problems if tanabe wanted to ruin a chibi robo game but making a big studio to handle the prime series certainly would need approval. Hell, it had to happen twice.

Back
Top Bottom