• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

We’ll see in just a few more weeks with Orlando but I wouldn’t be shocked if the remaining cities launched with all of their variants in a single Tour.

Datamining shows many signs of what I interpret as end of life approaching. There appears to be only 30~ regular drivers / alts remaining; the rest being Mii Suits; and that’s assuming they all end up being released, with no cut content (we are already aware of one cut course though so the odds of no characters ever being cut feels slim). They are preparing courses further ahead of their debut than previously; regulars of the MK8DX thread here should be aware of how those IDs work, and why the massive increases as of late are notable. It all adds up to a feeling of one last big push for content internally before they can go take it easy on Tour for good.
Huh, I haven't really heard about the possibilities of all variants of a new city launching in a single Tour, although with the upcoming Winter Tour debuting Bangkok 2 and 3 does raise the possibility of that happening.

The planner position for the 3D Action game Namco is working on has actually been up since Late September - Mid October 2021. The actual page wasn't archived at that point, but the entire job list was. The two artitst positions were added sometime after that, but before February 2022.

Now this was before the release of the Booster Course Pass, but the job titles were never renamed (while MK Tour is specifically named on its openings) and we're likely close to the release of Wave 4, so I think we can rule that out.

In the case of Baten Kaitos, I wouldn't describe the 3D battle backgrounds in the game as "deformed" and the Namco job site does have an RPG tag (you can see it on the Tales position), so I'm not convinced this specific project is the same.
Yeah, I think we'll have Kid Icarus Uprising indeed. We can even have it like this year or early next year since Sakurai usually makes games very fast. Definitely looking forward to it.

Makes me also wonder if the Baten Kaitos is another hiring or if it'll end up being mostly Monolith Soft?
Late September 2021 lines up exactly with development being done on Fighters Pass Vol. 2.

Probably Sakurai's next game then.
Yes. And probably Kid Icarus Uprising, I don't think he'd tease it so explicitly if he wasn't up to something.

I have two guesses with Zelda WW / TP but they are not mutually exclusive -

1. They were looking for things that would differentiate them from the previous re-releases, which were not that long ago, and settled on 4k 60fps or something else only the new hardware could manage. They didn't think a quick Switch port would be enough so they are delayed for new hardware.

2. They are carefully planning out the transition and know they won't have another 3D Zelda for 5 years, especially if Tears will be the last in this iteration, and want the ports to fill the gap.

You have Retro’s employees on LinkedIn telling those who’ve been layed off to join their amazing studio. If you see how Retro’s employees talk about Retro now you’ll know everything is great there. People love working there.

You have Retro’s employees on LinkedIn telling those who’ve been layed off to join their amazing studio. If you see how Retro’s employees talk about Retro now you’ll know everything is great there. People love working there.
or maybe its all a conspiracy and michael kelbaugh chained them to a wall and is threatening them unless they say all those nice things!

Yeah, I think we'll have Kid Icarus Uprising indeed. We can even have it like this year or early next year since Sakurai usually makes games very fast. Definitely looking forward to it.

Makes me also wonder if the Baten Kaitos is another hiring or if it'll end up being mostly Monolith Soft?

Yes. And probably Kid Icarus Uprising, I don't think he'd tease it so explicitly if he wasn't up to something.
I don't think we're living in a world where BOTH KIU and BK are getting HD versions at roughly the same time. I'd love to live in that world but I don't see how things shake out that way.

It generally just feels like people are trying to puzzle out what Bamco is working on for/with Nintendo and taking any scraps they can find (Sakurai's wink wink nudge nudge about KIU, the year-old BK trademarks...) and hoping one sticks.

It generally just feels like people are trying to puzzle out what Bamco is working on for/with Nintendo and taking any scraps they can find (Sakurai's wink wink nudge nudge about KIU, the year-old BK trademarks...) and hoping one sticks.

Sir, this is a Nintendo Forum after all

I have two guesses with Zelda WW / TP but they are not mutually exclusive -

1. They were looking for things that would differentiate them from the previous re-releases, which were not that long ago, and settled on 4k 60fps or something else only the new hardware could manage. They didn't think a quick Switch port would be enough so they are delayed for new hardware.

2. They are carefully planning out the transition and know they won't have another 3D Zelda for 5 years, especially if Tears will be the last in this iteration, and want the ports to fill the gap.
There's also 3 and 4:
3) they just don't exist, like, at all. The Wii U games already done, they don't have to rush to get a Switch port. We shouldn't be assuming ports of the HD versions are already done and sitting. It's an easy guess that they'll come, which doesn't mean they are already done. Tantalus is the company that made Twilight Princess HD and they did Skyward Sword HD that was just released in 2021. After delivering SS HD in 60FPS, maybe they're working on also having WW and TP at 60FPS, maybe they're finding other areas to enhance the visuals for Switch, or working on new content or UI/QoL improvements.
4) just like you said on 2, there's probably gonna be a long gap between TotK and the next new 3D Zelda, just like there was from BotW to TotK, so saving those ports for a year that wouldn't have a Zelda game otherwise would be what Nintendo would want. There was no year to slot those ports from 2017 until 2023, with 2022 being meant to have a new Zelda game that was delayed.
They could be 2024, would be plenty of time for Tantalus if they're on it.
I think either 2024 or 2025 will have a new 2D Zelda, so it can be later too.
I don't think we're living in a world where BOTH KIU and BK are getting HD versions at roughly the same time. I'd love to live in that world but I don't see how things shake out that way.

I don't think Klonoa was that much of a hit and it was remastered. I think Kid Icarus Uprising being a passion project by Sakurai, selling well on 3DS and having potential to sell a lot on Switch would be enough to justify a remaster.

On Baten Kaitos I wouldn't ever guess it being remastered, but Exputer leaked real stuff lately, and I don't think they'd throw away their reputation lucky guessing an obscure GameCube game of all things.

with all of the other Wii U ports, leaving the Zelda remasters behind was such a waste. I imagine it's part of the vault strategy, but I don't think future remasters of the games are necessary at all

with all of the other Wii U ports, leaving the Zelda remasters behind was such a waste. I imagine it's part of the vault strategy, but I don't think future remasters of the games are necessary at all

I strongly believe they're holding it for the space between TotK and the Nintendo Switch successor. It's the best place to put them.

The Zeldas are a matter of when, not if. Only surprised they didn't have them out last year after TOTK was delayed (unless of course they weren't ready yet?).

Now why other stuff like NES Remix, Pushmo World, Dr. Luigi, and even Pokémon Rumble U are still stuck on Wii U, I will never know.

Now why other stuff like NES Remix, Pushmo World, Dr. Luigi, and even Pokémon Rumble U are still stuck on Wii U, I will never know.
you name all those games and yet you neglect the other game that people want more

QdsGiaN.jpg

I think it's pretty easy to imagine why most of these haven't shown up yet.
  • Dr. Luigi - Arika have had a ton of other titles to focus on this gen, but even if they return to Dr. Mario it would be through a new title. The Year of Luigi has long passed and Miracle Cure on 3DS already implemented 'Operation L' as one of multiple modes; Dr. Luigi was already made redundant years ago.
  • Pokemon Rumble U - Only existed as a (failed) trial run for NFC figures. It is small-scale and cheap, even moreso than the original WiiWare title, only including the battle royale stages with no wild areas (the majority of the gameplay in the other Rumble games). Doesn't help that Ambrella was absorbed into Creatures in 2020, and we don't know if they will retain any autonomy or if the Rumble series will continue. A new installment would be a better use of resources than porting this mess.
  • Pushmo World - The series has gone silent since the supposed cancelation of Crashmo World in 2016, and at this point I think they'd rather return with a compilation of the 3DS titles or something entirely new; it would be difficult to justify just Pushmo World on its own. Taku Sugioka and Misuzu Yoshida seem to be freed up right now, so maybe the next one is closer than we think.
  • NES Remix - This one is easiest to make an argument in favor of porting, mainly because it eventually got a physical release; though considering the original was a passion project for Koichi Hayashida I imagine any port or sequel would come down to his interest. The existence of NES Remix and the way it treats the non-Remix challenges as bite-sized tastes of the full games (even providing a link to the eShop to purchase those VC titles) may feel out of place next to NSO. Still probably has the best shot even considering that.

They really should have dropped one of them in 2022 after TOTK was delayed. I have a hard time picturing both dropping near each other, but we'll see.

I can imagine them having concerns of burn-out after Skyward Sword HD only managed to match the original in sales in the first year. Traditional 3D Zelda might not benefit from the much larger audience BotW has gathered, and they possibly see it wiser to wait with them. Might be more of a draw if they launch on the next Switch instead, to differentiate them from the Wii U versions.

Because Xenoblade X at this point, and Takahashi I believe even also said, would be a huge amount of work to get onto Switch. The above at least should be super quick to do.
here's the quote

"Well, the future at present is unclear," Takahashi says, which is the same answer I received when I ask about the possibility of a Xenoblade Chronicles 3. "Personally speaking, I'd love to play the game on the Switch, but it would be really difficult to make it."

When it comes to roadblocks that stand in the way of Xenoblade Chronicles X on the Switch, Takahashi's answer is simple.

"Money," he laughs. "It's a massive game. Re-creating it would be really difficult."

Depending on how the question was actually put to him, he might have taken it as "remake it" since he talks about "re-creating it" in the answer. They don't really need to even remake a lot of assets so in that sense it should be less work than the Definitive Edition of 1 was. Mind you, this interview was during Torna PR in late 2018. Long before Xenoblade Definitive Edition was out (but they were already obviously working on it so their plate was full at the time of the interview with planning for Xenoblade 3 and the remaster).

I can imagine them having concerns of burn-out after Skyward Sword HD only managed to match the original in sales in the first year. Traditional 3D Zelda might not benefit from the much larger audience BotW has gathered, and they possibly see it wiser to wait with them. Might be more of a draw if they launch on the next Switch instead, to differentiate them from the Wii U versions.
Yea this is why I keep saying they're not doing re-releases of old games two years in a row. If 2021 has SSHD then there is no WWHD or TPHD in 2022. They've shown they have no desire to flood the pipeline with just re-releases of older games. There has to come at least one new thing inbetween. Their only chance was a Mario All-Stars style anniversary celebration where they put them all out at once (not in a single SKU).

New set of articles on Nintendo's recruitment site, but one in particular as caught my eyes far more than the others.

This one is about translation/localisation coordination, working with overseas branches / studios in order to convey the thoughts of all sides. Sasaki Kazu, the employee in particular, describes his involvement with pitch meetings and presentations; explaining the appeal of Nintendo's projects to NoA / NoE, and vice-versa when it comes to titles developed outside of Japan. The bottom of the article cites that he worked on Tropical Freeze in the latter capacity, and includes a related meeting notes document as reference.

detail115_img02_thumb.jpg

The other note included alongside it seems to be an example of the former type of work they do though (and specifcally what the article continues to elaborate on about), a pitch meeting for a new IP.

detail115_img01_thumb.jpg

It is incredibly difficult to make out the words with the small image size and slight blur applied, and the notes on the speech don't really add much to help understand the context, but after staring at the page for an hour I believe I have transcribed it with some accuracy.

Slide 1.
Let us begin this presentation about our new project. This is the first opportunity
for us to introduce this project to you, so we are not going too much into detail
today. Please look forward to more details in future meetings like this.

Slide 2.
First, about the setting. This game is set in a universe where anthropomorphised
staple foods have a friendly rivalry and are working hard together to taste better
and better. There are a lot of types like rice, pasta, potato, bread and what not.
You as the player choose one of them and try to evolve the cuisine culture that
revolves around the type you chose, as you progress in the game.

Slide 3.
Next is art. This is the concept art. The art style we are going for is comicbook
print mixed with watercolour painting. We want to realise a unique style where
Japanese and Western flavours are nicely mingled with each other, and ultimately
attract as many audiences as possible.

Slide 4.
Regarding gameplay, it will be a story-driven platformer. The relationships in the
universe will shift and how the story develops will change depending on which
type you choose. There is familiar platforming action gameplay, but the
uniqueness comes with how different foods interact with each other to make new
dishes, develop new genres, or invent a completely new type of staple foods.

Slide 5.
Here is a very rough timeline we currently envisage. Our target project
completion is in-​

New set of articles on Nintendo's recruitment site, but one in particular as caught my eyes far more than the others.

This one is about translation/localisation coordination, working with overseas branches / studios in order to convey the thoughts of all sides. Sasaki Kazu, the employee in particular, describes his involvement with pitch meetings and presentations; explaining the appeal of Nintendo's projects to NoA / NoE, and vice-versa when it comes to titles developed outside of Japan. The bottom of the article cites that he worked on Tropical Freeze in the latter capacity, and includes a related meeting notes document as reference.

detail115_img02_thumb.jpg

The other note included alongside it seems to be an example of the former type of work they do though (and specifcally what the article continues to elaborate on about), a pitch meeting for a new IP.

detail115_img01_thumb.jpg

It is incredibly difficult to make out the words with the small image size and slight blur applied, and the notes on the speech don't really add much to help understand the context, but after staring at the page for an hour I believe I have transcribed it with some accuracy.

Retro's secret project revealed, wow...

Wonder if this was ever actually pitched or is just an example made for the website?

Wonder if this was ever actually pitched or is just an example made for the website?

I mean, it is a very silly sounding pitch so the latter would make sense; other companies do that (I pointed out a example pitch on Good-Feel's site a bit ago); but I can't recall another article on this site with mock-ups / example images made solely for it (at least without a disclaimer that they are mock-ups).

Take the other article about localisation that went up today for example, about some of the localisation process for New Horizons.

They reference real development materials with a few images of their translation tools

detail119_img01.jpg

but for this particular image (showing how a literal translation would not fit the space required) they specifically say at the top that it was an example made for the article.

detail119_img03.jpg

I mean, it is a very silly sounding pitch so the latter would make sense; other companies do that (I pointed out a example pitch on Good-Feel's site a bit ago); but I can't recall another article on this site with mock-ups / example images made solely for it (at least without a disclaimer that they are mock-ups).

Take the other article about localisation that went up today for example, about some of the localisation process for New Horizons.

They reference real development materials with a few images of their translation tools

detail119_img01.jpg

but for this particular image (showing how a literal translation would not fit the space required) they specifically say at the top that it was an example made for the article.

detail119_img03.jpg

In either case, it's really cool seeing these sort of development materials from Nintendo! I feel we don't get a look behind the scenes like this often enough.

I just so desperately want NCL to release an EPD Group overview like at least every five years or so. The on-going confusion about these groups is maddening
:D
With seemingly Nintendo missing from this year's E3, that also means no E3 Press Kit with EPD names. What a bummer.

They really should have dropped one of them in 2022 after TOTK was delayed. I have a hard time picturing both dropping near each other, but we'll see.
I think work on those ports didn't begin until Skyward Sword HD was done in 2021 by Tantalus. They probably will take their time and I believe they'll aim for 60FPS after SS HD was 60FPS.

I believe there was never any way those ports would be done in 2022 as their development of both Twilight Princess HD and Skyward Sword HD wasn't fast.

Even if they were done, Nintendo probably didn't come to know that TotK would be delayed until fairly close to the update video, so I can see them thinking that releasing those games in, say, the holiday season would be way too close to TotK in spring so decided against it.

I think work on those ports didn't begin until Skyward Sword HD was done in 2021 by Tantalus. They probably will take their time and I believe they'll aim for 60FPS after SS HD was 60FPS.

I believe there was never any way those ports would be done in 2022 as their development of both Twilight Princess HD and Skyward Sword HD wasn't fast.

Even if they were done, Nintendo probably didn't come to know that TotK would be delayed until fairly close to the update video, so I can see them thinking that releasing those games in, say, the holiday season would be way too close to TotK in spring so decided against it.
they were never going to come out in 2022 one way or another because they don't push out nothing but Zelda HD ports two years in a row^^

I've thought for a while NLG would be a great candidate for a new Mario RPG/Mario & Luigi

edit: as in a Mario & Luigi-esque game

Last edited:
When it comes to Mario RPGs, I think honestly, until Nintendo loosens up on their draconic restrictions about use of additional or new characters, there's not that much that a company could do to revitalise the Mario and Luigi series. Alphadream pretty much milked that cow completely dry, and whatever would work as a follow up would be best suited as something rather different.

And if paper mario has to make another game starring basically toads and Bowser's existing minions and not much else, so help me.

NLG probably targeting either the next hardware or a cross-generation release. Personally I'd think Luigi's Mansion 4 for new hardware would be on the cards - visually it would be a show stopper, and after the commercial success of 3, it would provide Nintendo with a major system seller.

Obviously, though, there's no guarantee that they do something as predictable as that.

NLG probably targeting either the next hardware or a cross-generation release. Personally I'd think Luigi's Mansion 4 for new hardware would be on the cards - visually it would be a show stopper, and after the commercial success of 3, it would provide Nintendo with a major system seller.

Obviously, though, there's no guarantee that they do something as predictable as that.
After Luigi's Mansion trilogy collection 4K

I've thought for a while NLG would be a great candidate for a new Mario RPG/Mario & Luigi
any studio would be a good fit for mario and luigi but unless nintendo stops choking them nothing will happen. I think that can be said to a lot of ips as well such as star fox.

I cannot wait for NLG to unveil something underwhelming and low budget like... mario baseball or
Retro's secret project revealed, wow...

jokes aside, i dont particularly see retro as one trying to get weird ips approved, all of their pitches seem to have been serious.

any studio would be a good fit for mario and luigi but unless nintendo stops choking them nothing will happen. I think that can be said to a lot of ips as well such as star fox.
I think NLG's demonstrated proficiency with animating the Mario cast well makes them especially well-suited for such a project, but you (and others) are right about the IP's rigidity being a major obstacle to stories worth telling

Candidly, I think Luigi's Mansion is creatively limited enough that I moreso hope they're doing something broader than expect it

Citing the lack of character freedom as the problem with M&L and Paper Mario is pretty off base. Alpha Dream just wasn't capable of advancing the game into new dimensions and Intelligent Systems has no interest in making rpgs but they keep forcing in half-baked combat ideas. Fix those first

Last edited:
sometimes franchises can also just "die". "Mario & Luigi" was great. but something different can fill the "Mario RPG" slot now, I don't need NLG or any other studio to just make, for example, "Mario & Luigi Dream Team but it has Luigi's Mansion 3-tier graphics". I'd be much happier - in the scenario that they did end up with a broad "mario rpg!" project - if they then used that to start with the idea from scratch. only bring back things if they still work in the new thing, not out of franchise-obligation or something like that.

in my case I had only meant to suggest something similar to Mario & Luigi; I think such a project should take a new name and direction rather than trying to continue that line

I don't think the character restrictions are that inherent of an obstacle. Origami King had a great story for what it was, and the overwhelming majority of its cast was just toads. Good writing will always make up for that type of stuff.

I do think the best way to go about it though would be a remaster of a 3DS game, probably Superstar Saga DX, to gauge interest and give a dev some experience with the franchise first.

I think this "no new characters" restriction only applies to the Paper Mario series, and even that is kind of wishy-washy since Olivia, King Olly, and those singing and dancing trees are fair game.

Alphadream always had the freedom to create new characters in their Mario & Luigi games, even after Sticker Star came out. Paper Jam was an anomaly; it only using Toads and Bowser minions was a deliberate decision by the developers, who wanted to make a simpler story about all those paper doubles running around.

Next Level Games similarly had lots of leeway with making new characters, enemies, and villains for their Luigi's Mansion games, so I don't imagine the situation being different if they were allowed to make a Mario RPG.

I do think the best way to go about it though would be a remaster of a 3DS game, probably Superstar Saga DX, to gauge interest and give a dev some experience with the franchise first.
that would be a bad idea given the last two games before the series was iced were remakes. Superstar Saga DX being a remake itself would make this super redundant.

Back
Top Bottom