• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

So this is probably what EPD 6 currently looks like, with the staff's most recent credits:

Just wind of the Twitter discourse on that article this morning and it was so rough to read lol. Dude is just doubling tripling and quadrupling down on his take and then backing it up with very odd suggestions like wishing directs were interactive or unrelated asks about wanting to see more creativity in them (which run counter to his apparent concerns about investors).

Anyway, you’d think an investor would be able to understand that blowing the pot on any new hardware details would hurt sales in the short term. We know what’s coming, investors can either stay on board or keep their requests to double down on in app purchases to themselves lol.

I do think investors are right to be somewhat concerned if Switch 2 isn't until late 2024.

If we get past July 2023 with no Switch 2 leaks from Jason etc, it's probably not coming until late 2024 and that's a bit of a nerve wracking situation for Nintendo shareholders.

Holy cow pies, the new Nintendo Direct announcer is NOT Roger Craig Smith (Sonic) as I and I assume everyone else suspected, but rather Mike Madeoy, who some may recognize as the voice of Falco in Star Fox Assault! o_O

Wow I was not expecting that! Good to see he’s still getting work from them. Wonder if they’d bring him back to re-record lines for a Star Fox Assault remaster if they’re indeed trying to put every franchise they can on Switch, especially with remasters. Assault has stellar music, but the voices (as much as I prefer the actors over SF64’s) are horribly compressed and I dunno if Namco kept the original recordings or not.

oh wow! So we have this mystery solved, also the Biff from ARMS. Would be also cool to know who that previous voiceover guy was.
LOL oh fuck he was Biff too?! Now I totally hear it, wowzers.

Now if we could know who the prior guy was. Kit and Krysta said his real voice wasn't even like his Direct voice, you think it was him the whole time and he just changed it up?

"Nintendo Life can confirm that it has heard the same rumour from an independent (and very trusted) source, which would appear to lend this report some degree of legitimacy."(NL May 2021, the rumored DK game)
Any guesses who this trusted source may have been? Been trying my best to dig up the origins of the DK rumour, but unfortunately it goes back YEARS on the DK Vine forum. However, NL citing their own source is interesting. Sounds like a non-public source?

@NateDrake if you have any info you can share with us, it's highly appreciated. : )

"Nintendo Life can confirm that it has heard the same rumour from an independent (and very trusted) source, which would appear to lend this report some degree of legitimacy."(NL May 2021, the rumored DK game)
Any guesses who this trusted source may have been? Been trying my best to dig up the origins of the DK rumour, but unfortunately it goes back YEARS on the DK Vine forum. However, NL citing their own source is interesting. Sounds like a non-public source?

@NateDrake if you have any info you can share with us, it's highly appreciated. : )
If you are asking me who the NL source is... I don't know, as it would appear to be their own anonymous source.

LOL oh fuck he was Biff too?! Now I totally hear it, wowzers.

Now if we could know who the prior guy was. Kit and Krysta said his real voice wasn't even like his Direct voice, you think it was him the whole time and he just changed it up?
Nah, that's not him you can hear it's the total different guy but I have no idea who he is for years. Knew about what Kit said but that's about it.

I'm entirely ready to close the book on the "no notable games after Zelda" bit after this Direct (doesn't look good when the originator of the claim; who is associated with E3, as a reminder; is currently throwing a temper tantrum over how the Direct format should be retired); the current empty space after July pretty much cements a June presentation in my mind. That's what H2 2021 looked like right after the February Direct that year after all; just with a port (Skyward Sword) leading the charge instead of a new game (Pikmin 4).

In the meantime they can probably squeeze one or two more titles into H1; they usually do. The Pokemon Presents is likely to have a Pokemon spin-off; probably time for Detective Pikachu 2, but there are other options available too (could Spike Chunsoft have another Mystery Dungeon remake done?). Whatever it is, I could see it joining Advance Wars in April based on past reveal to release cycles. June is entirely empty for first-party releases though; and my personal bet would be on a small casual title following the Game Builder Garage approach and release within short notice. There's always a chance for something more unpredictable; like maybe a Mario Direct around the release of the film, or something as out-there as the Tomodachi Life Direct in 2014?
Agree with pretty much everything here.
I think the absence of a new Mario movie trailer on the Direct was kinda odd. I would really, really like a Mario Direct by late March to fully reveal the MK 8 Deluxe DLC Wave 4 (I suppose there's another character coming alongside Birdo even), show a new trailer for the movie, celebrate the franchise, maybe reveal or tease a 2024 3D Mario cross gen game, and announce the 2D Mario I suppose is coming this holiday season. Not really feeling a Mario sports this year tbh.
A casual bombshell that ends up being announced on its own on Twitter like either of Ring Fit, Nintendogs or Tomodachi is totally on the cards tho.

I don't think they would hold back announcements for another first half direct, Mario or otherwise, given how weak this one was.
They've held back the Super Mario 3D All Stars announcement until September, 2 weeks before release, while having a super weak Mini Direct in March 2020.

They literally shadowdropped Metroid Prime Remastered, instead of revealing that on the September Direct.

They always hold back announcements. This Direct was focused in H1 and it actually delivered H1, making the most stacked ever in the Switch ever. 2018 had nothing announced for the H2, the Mini Direct left everyone bummed. Then March Direct/Pokémon event/E3 shown that it actually had Super Mario Party + Pokémon Let's GO + Smash. 2021 had nothing either for H2(while having 2 2022 games announced), then with Pokémon Presents and E3 came the big combo of Metroid Dread, Mario Party Superstars, Shin Megami Tensei V and Pokémon BDSP.

Whatever is coming is September to December they're gonna announce either June or July.

@Marce-chan

Of course they hold back some announcements for the second half. They hold back second half announcements for a second half direct. Of course Pokemon does their own presention. They nearly always do those things. I am saying that Nintendo will not have another direct for the first half, so people should stop getting their hopes up.

This direct was not "stacked." They didn't announce a single new Nintendo game in the whole thing. It's all just updates on stuff we already knew about, a bunch of rereleases of old games, and some DLC. Most of the DLC was simple stuff so they needed to tease stuff not coming until way later. The 2018 and 2020s mini were better.

Your examples are so bizarre. What do games announced in September and coming out in September, or games announced in June coming out in October and November have to do with whether there will be another direct for the first half? It's not happening.

We agree they could have another presentation in June. All I am saying Is people should not get their hopes up for some miracle first half direct.

Recap from recent past Nintendo Directs Nintendo First Party showcase (red DLC, bold yellow new game presentation)

FEB 2023
  • Pikmin 4
  • Metroid Prime Remastered
  • Splatoon 3 Expansion Pass
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Expansion Pass Volume 3
  • Fire Emblem Engage Expansion Pass
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Course Pack Wave 4
  • Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp
  • Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon
  • Kirby’s Return to Dreamland Deluxe Magolord Epilogue
  • Baten Kaitos I & II HD Remaster (1)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
(1) Bandai-Namco IP by a Nintendo First Party Studio

SEPT 2022
  • Fire Emblem Engage
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Expansion Pass Volume 2
  • Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope
  • Mario Strikers: Battle League Free Update
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Course Pack Wave 3
  • Bayonetta 3
  • Kirby´s Return to Dream Land Deluxe
  • Splatoon 3 First Splatfest
  • Nintendo Switch Sports Golf free Update
  • Pikmin 4
FEB 2022
  • Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes
  • Mario Strikers: Battle League
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land
  • Splatoon 3 Salmon Run Mode
  • Nintendo Switch Sports
  • Metroid Dread Free Update
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Course Pack Wave 1
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3
SEPT 2021
  • Mario Party Superstars
  • Hyrule Warriors: Age Of Calamity Expansion Pass
  • Metroid Dread
  • Mario Golf: Super Rush free DLC
  • Splatoon 3
  • Bayonetta 3

FEB 2021
  • Splatoon 3
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD
  • Mario Golf: Super Rush
  • Miitopia
  • DC Super Hero Girls: Teen Power
  • Hyrule Warriors: Age Of Calamity Expansion Pass
  • Famicom Detective Club (only Japan)
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Mario items added to the game)
  • Pyra & Myra Super Smash Bros. Ultimate DLC
SEPT 2019
  • Luigi´s Mansion 3
  • Terry Bogard Super Smash Bros. Ultimate DLC
  • The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield
  • Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  • Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
  • Banjo & Kazooie Super Smash Bros. Ultimate DLC

Older:
Feel free to notify any mistake.

v.0. Initial post
v.1. Fixed typos (thanks @MisterSpo and @Erdago) and added links to YT

Last edited:
Recap from recent past Nintendo Directs Nintendo First Party showcase (red DLC, bold yellow new game presentation)

FEB 2023
  • Pikmin 4
SEPT 2022
  • Fire Emblem Engage
  • Bayonetta 3
FEB 2022
  • Nintendo Switch Sports
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3
FEB 2021
  • Splatoon 3
  • Miitopia
SEPT 2019
  • Luigi´s Mansion 3
  • Daemon X Machina
Advance Wars and Kirby weren't new reveals in 2022. Advance Wars was revealed at E3 2021, and Kirby was announced in the September 2021 Direct.

September 2019 has a few mistakes too. Daemon x Machina was announced at E3 2018; Animal Crossing was announced in September 2018; Link's Awakening was February 2019.

Pikmin 4 should be added to September 2022 as a new game announcement.

Anyway, you’d think an investor would be able to understand that blowing the pot on any new hardware details would hurt sales in the short term. We know what’s coming, investors can either stay on board or keep their requests to double down on in app purchases to themselves lol.
Stuff like this is why I immediately tune out when I some analyst is waxing on about things. I wonder if analysts in other fields are also as clueless or just often plain wrong about everything as the names you usually hear about in video game land (does not apply to all of them, obviously!).
Agree with pretty much everything here.
I think the absence of a new Mario movie trailer on the Direct was kinda odd.
A Nintendo Direct is not the place to debut movie trailers. That might be suitable if you're teasing or updating on early developments with a tiny snippet but the regular Hollywood promo machine is its own beast, you're not gonna see Mario movie stuff squished inbetween Etrian Odyssey and Samba di Amigo. That Mario Movie Direct they had to debut the initial trailer was as far as that goes. There'll probably be a short ad during the Superbowl next before they then do an extended trailer later on.

FEB 2023
  • Pikmin 4

Baten Kaitos left out because Bamco is publishing themselves I presume? I'd still mention it at least with an asterisk since it is a game originally from a Nintendo first party studio, just not published by Nintendo anymore.

Advance Wars and Kirby weren't new reveals in 2022. Advance Wars was revealed at E3 2021, and Kirby was announced in the September 2021 Direct.

September 2019 has a few mistakes too. Daemon x Machina was announced at E3 2018; Animal Crossing was announced in September 2018; Link's Awakening was February 2019.

Pikmin 4 should be added to September 2022 as a new game announcement.

Thanks! fixed errors :)

Baten Kaitos left out because Bamco is publishing themselves I presume? I'd still mention it at least with an asterisk since it is a game originally from a Nintendo first party studio, just not published by Nintendo anymore.
Yes, I didn´t add Baten Kaitos because it is a Bandai-Namco IP, as Octopath Traveller, Bravely Default are SQ-EX IPs, as example. But I do like your idea, so added to the list ;)

Last edited:
I found this list of dates on which several First Party games were classified on rating boards.
It simply means the game is content complete, and only needs to go through the polish and debug phase, however it gives an idea of when the games were more or less done.

There is a lot of interesting data honestly, such as Nintendo sitting on NSMBU for around one year.

I found this list of dates on which several First Party games were classified on rating boards.
It simply means the game is content complete, and only needs to go through the polish and debug phase, however it gives an idea of when the games were more or less done.

There is a lot of interesting data honestly, such as Nintendo sitting on NSMBU for around one year.

the most surprising thing to me is that nobody has thought to look these up and round them up until now :D

this also confirms what I've been saying for years: they've had Code Name S.T.E.A.M. also sitting there finished for a long time

F88Je4M.png

Y8BRgbR.png

FEB 2023
  • Pikmin 4
  • Baten Kaitos I & II HD Remaster (1)
(1) Bandai-Namco IP by a Nintendo First Party Studio

SEPT 2022
  • Fire Emblem Engage
  • Bayonetta 3
  • Pikmin 4
FEB 2022
  • Nintendo Switch Sports
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3
SEPT 2021
  • Mario Party Superstars
  • Hyrule Warriors: Age Of Calamity Expansion Pack
  • Metroid Dread
  • Splatoon 3
  • Bayonetta 3

FEB 2021
  • Splatoon 3
  • Miitopia
SEPT 2019
  • Luigi´s Mansion 3
  • Daemon X Machina

Older:

v.0. Initial post
v.1. Fixed typos (thanks @MisterSpo) and added links to YT
Some changes and additions to the list:

The Famicom Detective Club remakes were first announced in Japan exclusively in the September 2019 Direct. The February 2021 was just a reshowing with a release date and worldwide distribution announcement

The September 2019 Direct also had a free update to Tetris 99

Daemon X Machina is a Marvelous game, and not a Nintendo game; it falls in the same category as Octopath I and Triangle Strategy

In the February 2021 Direct, they announced DC Super Hero Girls: Teen Power (which is a First Party title)

The February 2021 Direct also had a free update to Animal Crossing New Horizons where Mario items were added

The February 2021 Direct additionally had a short look at the Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity Expansion Pass

Mario Party Superstars and Metroid Dread were both announced in the E3 2021 Direct and not in the September 2021 Direct (though both were shown there)

The September 2021 Direct announced the Final Sakurai Presents and a Animal Crossing: New Horizons Direct

The September 2021 Direct showed off Mario Golf: Super Rush free DLC

The February 2022 Direct showed off Splatoon 3 (specifically the Salmon Run mode)

The September 2022 Direct announced the first Splatoon 3 Splatfest

The September 2022 Direct showed off the Golf update to Nintendo Switch Sports

The February 2023 Direct showed off Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon

The February 2023 Direct also showed off Kirby’s Return to Dreamland Deluxe

I think it was @MondoMega who noted Kimishima being credited as the Executive Producer for NSMBU DX instead of Furukawa, so they were definitely sitting on that one for a while.

It makes me further believe that Shiro Mouri is the director of the next 2D Mario game, or at least one of the leads.

That Crafted World. July 2018 and released in March of 2019. I remember how they announced it at E3 2017 as a 2018 title then it went missing and it showed up at September 2018 Direct again.

WarioWare is one that also sticks out to me. Obviously, none of the games were actually finished by those rating dates (BDSP and SV say hello), but there was quite a high crossover of staff between it and Origami King. Maybe they just had a lot of people work on both simultaneously?

The games can enter on the ratings without being final versions.

Since they are rating despite missing the entire debugging phase, with possible delays that may appear due to problems.
It's not that the games are in a fridge waiting to come out, it's just that they are sent to the ratings without being finished.

Last edited:
Thanks! fixed errors :)

Yes, I didn´t add Baten Kaitos because it is a Bandai-Namco IP, as Octopath Traveller, Bravely Default are SQ-EX IPs, as example. But I do like your idea, so added to the list ;)
About Baten Kaitos, looks like Nintendo has bought a part for the IP, as we can see on the copyright of the new versions.

WarioWare is one that also sticks out to me. Obviously, none of the games were actually finished by those rating dates (BDSP and SV say hello), but there was quite a high crossover of staff between it and Origami King. Maybe they just had a lot of people work on both simultaneously?
Yeah, 2 to 6 months seems to be pretty standard, with 4 to 6 months being most common, but WarioWare, NSMB DX U, and Metroid Prime R all stand out at a year or more between rating and release. Pikmin 3DX and Yoshi also had a solid 9 to 10 months from rating to release.

So Nintendo do seem to leave themselves decent periods for polish and fine tuning, but also a little flexibility in the schedule, with the occasional release having a lengthy gap.

Yeah, 2 to 6 months seems to be pretty standard, with 4 to 6 months being most common, but WarioWare, NSMB DX U, and Metroid Prime R all stand out at a year or more between rating and release. Pikmin 3DX and Yoshi also had a solid 9 to 10 months from rating to release.

So Nintendo do seem to leave themselves decent periods for polish and fine tuning, but also a little flexibility in the schedule, with the occasional release having a lengthy gap.

In the case of Yoshi, I would add that it came out with performance problems and certain bugs that were fixed in a patch.

So it can be understood that, even though there is an approximate polishing time, there may be occasions where certain games need more work.

About Baten Kaitos, looks like Nintendo has bought a part for the IP, as we can see on the copyright of the new versions.
That's not how it works.

Nintendo fully produced and published Baten Kaitos Origins worldwide, which may be why.

if Nintendo had any part of the copyright, it'd be presented as:

Baten Kaitos series (c) Nintendo / Bandai Namco Entertainment (or vice-versa).

That and BN owns the trademarks of both games as both were re-submitted last year... literally how the leaks began in the first place.

But even then the whole mess with Fatal Frame and that going multiplat with the Nintendo-produced entries is a huge headache to be sure.

if Nintendo had any part of the copyright, it'd be presented as:

Baten Kaitos series (c) Nintendo / Bandai Namco Entertainment (or vice-versa).
And thats is happenning with the release of the new game:

BATEN KAITOS™Series & ©Bandai Namco Entertainment Inc. ©Nintendo

That's why I say that they have bought a part of the rights to the saga.

And thats is happenning with the release of the new game:

BATEN KAITOS™Series & ©Bandai Namco Entertainment Inc. ©Nintendo

That's why I say that they have bought a part of the rights to the saga.
they already had part of the rights thanks to Origins. this doesn't tell us anything that could be different or the same

they already had part of the rights thanks to Origins. this doesn't tell us anything that could be different or the same
Origins only had the rights to the English translation on USA. Now it is indicated that they are from the serie itself on all regions.

Some changes and additions to the list:

Daemon X Machina is a Marvelous game, and not a Nintendo game; it falls in the same category as Octopath I and Triangle Strategy
I personally always would want to include those in lists tracking anything with Nintendo involvement since they published this in the West.

Origins only had the rights to the English translation on USA. Now it is indicated that they are from the serie itself on all regions.

This is wrong; the above copyright indicates that the series itself belongs to Namco-Bandai. The Nintendo copyright there is only there because of Origin; whether the full game, or the English localization itself (many Switch games have multiple languages per region, after all).

Nintendo very, very likely has not bought anything relating to the series, and I highly doubt they'll ever buy the rights to Xenosaga (or that they're even for sale in the first place).

This is wrong; the above copyright indicates that the series itself belongs to Namco-Bandai. The Nintendo copyright there is only there because of Origin; whether the full game, or the English localization itself (many Switch games have multiple languages per region, after all).

Nintendo very, very likely has not bought anything relating to the series, and I highly doubt they'll ever buy the rights to Xenosaga (or that they're even for sale in the first place).
The copyright above indicates that the series belongs to Bandai Namco and Nintendo.

If it were exclusively Origins, it would be indicated. What is indicated, instead, are the rights of the series, so the conclusion, until further notice, is that the rights are now on the series.

About xenosaga, no one has talked about that game.

The copyright above indicates that the series belongs to Bandai Namco and Nintendo.

If it were exclusively Origins, it would be indicated. What is indicated, instead, are the rights of the series, so the conclusion, until further notice, is that the rights are now on the series.

About xenosaga, no one has talked about that game.

When you mentioned "the saga", I thought you meant Xenosaga.

In any case, the copyright are separate. If it was truly shared, it would have a /Nintendo after the copyright, to show that they both own it. Instead, the copyright is separate, because it does not pertain to the entire series, only Baten Kaitos 2 (Origins).

When you mentioned "the saga", I thought you meant Xenosaga.

In any case, the copyright are separate. If it was truly shared, it would have a /Nintendo after the copyright, to show that they both own it. Instead, the copyright is separate, because it does not pertain to the entire series, only Baten Kaitos 2 (Origins).
I repeat, if it were what you indicate, the copyright would be specified by BKOrigins, not for the whole series

That it is separated or comes with a / does not indicate much in that sense. Especially if we take into account that the nomenclature for shared rights by Bandai Namco is not to use "/", as can be seen in other examples.

I repeat, if it were what you indicate, the copyright would be specified by BKOrigins, not for the whole series

That it is separated or comes with a / does not indicate much in that sense. Especially if we take into account that the nomenclature for shared rights by Bandai Namco is not to use "/", as can be seen in other examples.

I believe you are wrong, as I do not believe the copyright would have to specify Origins. Beyond that, it wouldn't make sense for Nintendo to purchase part of a small series like Baten Kaitos, especially when they're not publishing the HD versions.

I believe you are wrong, as I do not believe the copyright would have to specify Origins. Beyond that, it wouldn't make sense for Nintendo to purchase part of a small series like Baten Kaitos, especially when they're not publishing the HD versions.
Well, there's nothing wrong with disagreeing and thinking that I could be wrong because you think "that move doesn't make sense".

The issue is that nothing specifies that these rights refer exclusively to Origins, but rather the reverse, they specify the series itself. So going around talking about "you're wrong" is not productive.

Anyway, I would also put the game in the previous list of Switch games, be it Origins or the entire series, Nintendo has rights to this relaunch.

Well, there's nothing wrong with disagreeing and thinking that I could be wrong because you think "that move doesn't make sense".

The issue is that nothing specifies that these rights refer exclusively to Origins, but rather the reverse, they specify the series itself. So going around talking about "you're wrong" is not productive.

Anyway, I would also put the game in the previous list of Switch games, be it Origins or the entire series, Nintendo has rights to this relaunch.

Supposing each game still has individual title screens, we'll see then. If the original Baten Kaitos now has Nintendo copyright there, perhaps for some reason, Nintendo decides to buy a stake in the series, while allowing another company to publish the latest versions. If not, the the situation is exactly as it always has been; the series and original game belonging to Namco, while the second game belongs to both Namco/Nintendo. Much like how Sega still owns the Bayonetta series and the original game, with Sega and Nintendo jointly owning 2, 3, and Origins.

Supposing each game still has individual title screens, we'll see then. If the original Baten Kaitos now has Nintendo copyright there, perhaps for some reason, Nintendo decides to buy a stake in the series, while allowing another company to publish the latest versions. If not, the the situation is exactly as it always has been; the series and original game belonging to Namco, while the second game belongs to both Namco/Nintendo. Much like how Sega still owns the Bayonetta series and the original game, with Sega and Nintendo jointly owning 2, 3, and Origins.

In this case, as I said, until the contrary is indicated in the future, right now the identification is for the entire series.

If something changes in the future, it will be discussed here

With how things have shaped up after the direct, I see 3D Mario, Metroid Prime 4 (cross-plat), Next Level Games's next project, EPD 4's next game (Ring Fit, Labo, 1 2 Switch) and any other potential big 3rd party exclusives (Astral Chain 2?) being held for Switch 2 now. Hoping for 1H 2024.

They'd be better off doing so imo to build up that first year's lineup. One thing I'm curious about is the timing of the Splatoon 3/Animal Crossing team + Yabuki's Mario Kart team's next games. Both are coming off of years long DLCs. They'll need time to build up a new game. Switch 2 Animal Crossing? New Mario Kart? Arms 2? New IP? (Plz) It is sad that we won't get a true Switch 2 Zelda basically until 2028, if that.

With how things have shaped up after the direct, I see 3D Mario, Metroid Prime 4 (cross-plat), Next Level Games's next project, EPD 4's next game (Ring Fit, Labo, 1 2 Switch) and any other potential big 3rd party exclusives (Astral Chain 2?) being held for Switch 2 now. Hoping for 1H 2024.

They'd be better off doing so imo to build up that first year's lineup. One thing I'm curious about is the timing of the Splatoon 3/Animal Crossing team + Yabuki's Mario Kart team's next games. Both are coming off of years long DLCs. They'll need time to build up a new game. Switch 2 Animal Crossing? New Mario Kart? Arms 2? New IP? (Plz) It is sad that we won't get a true Switch 2 Zelda basically until 2028, if that.
As for EPD4 I still think that if 1-2 Switch 2 is in playable state and they fixed it, it should still release on this Switch as it was still based on these Joy-Cons and this hardware. Their games are still largely announced outside of Directs (things like Ring Fit, Labo).

As for the other things, I feel like Yabuki's team is far along that a lot of people think. Even if EPD9 leads were stuck on Tour till 2019 that would mean that their next game will probably be roughly 5 years in development in 2024. Yes, Booster Course Pass is still a thing bur we don't have credits, we don't know how many people worked on it and when each wave was completed as it's obvious these are done way in advance. If anything the next Mario Kart game from them is a launch window title for next Switch (like 6 months from launch). The launch title is EPD Tokyo 3D Mario game.

Splatoon and AC team don't share that much stuff actually so new AC game could be like 2025 title? Next Splatoon is a tricky one since it will be getting updates for a long time but something like 2026 would feel right. No Splatoon for a while on a next system. (But still backwards compatible). They will probably port Splatoon 3 Deluxe to it with all the Expansion Pass DLC and something new.

One last thing. I still feel that 2D Mario from EPD10 is this year Holiday title. Will be announced after TotK is out.

Last edited:
Y'all need to remember that Nintendo owns the rights on the localizations for BK's EU loc (done by NOE) and BKO's English loc. Since there is no new localization (which will eventually be very frustrating for EU customers who are currently reading on Nintendo's product pages that the collection supports full EFIGS text but the Bamco FAQ clearly states that BKO is still only available in JP and English), it's pretty clear they didn't redo any of them and are just reusing everything as-is.

An Astral Chain 2 would in no way whatsoever be a "third party exclusive" as it would yet again be a first party release. If Nintendo puts it out, it's first party. Especially so when they're producing and co-directing the game (which they do).

As for EPD4 I still think that if 1-2 Switch 2 is in playable state and they fixed it, it should still release on this Switch as it was still based on these Joy-Cons and this hardware. Their games are still largely announced outside of Directs (things like Ring Fit, Labo).

As for the other things, I feel like Yabuki's team is far along that a lot of people think. Even if EPD9 leads were stuck on Tour till 2019 that would mean that their next game will probably be roughly 5 years in development in 2024. Yes, Booster Course Pass is still a thing bur we don't have credits, we don't know how many people worked on it and when each wave was completed as it's obvious these are done way in advance. If anything the next Mario Kart game from them is a launch window title for next Switch (like 6 months from launch). The launch title is EPD Tokyo 3D Mario game.

Splatoon and AC team don't share that much stuff actually so new AC game could be like 2025 title? Next Splatoon is a tricky one since it will be getting updates for a long time but something like 2026 would feel right. No Splatoon for a while on a next system. (But still backwards compatible). They will probably port Splatoon 3 Deluxe to it with all the Expansion Pass DLC and something new.

One last thing. I still feel that 2D Mario from EPD10 is this year Holiday title. Will be announced after TotK is out.
For EPD 4, yes, that is true. They could announce it in June or August for this holiday or something. For Splatoon, I really do hope they expand on things because it would be great to see that big step forward for the franchise.

Y'all need to remember that Nintendo owns the rights on the localizations for BK's EU loc (done by NOE) and BKO's English loc. Since there is no new localization (which will eventually be very frustrating for EU customers who are currently reading on Nintendo's product pages that the collection supports full EFIGS text but the Bamco FAQ clearly states that BKO is still only available in JP and English), it's pretty clear they didn't redo any of them and are just reusing everything as-is.

An Astral Chain 2 would in no way whatsoever be a "third party exclusive" as it would yet again be a first party release. If Nintendo puts it out, it's first party. Especially so when they're producing and co-directing the game (which they do).
When I say that, I meant a collab ala Bayonetta, or Luigi's Mansion 2 (before NLG got acquired)

The way I see it Nintendo would want to have exclusive 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Animal Crossing, Splatoon, new gen Pokemon, Mario Party, something like Ring Fit Adventure within the first 3 years. Those are most of the huge sellers. Franchises like Metroid (MercurySteam/Retro Studios), Kirby (HAL), Fire Emblem (Intelligent Systems) are pretty much on safe ground currently and again, it's not hard to see those franchises making it out across 2024 to 2027. Throw in Monolith Soft, Platinum (Astral Chain 2 pls) and NLG having new games, and the spine for strong and varied software is there. I'd also expect the final Wii U ports - Xenoblade X, Yoshi's Woolly World, NES Remix, Wind Waker & Twilight Princess HD - to be candidates for Switch release in the next few years and therefore playable on new hardware. Ditto for any Wii/GC/3DS remasters and some lower budget games; perhaps Nintendo alter the Switch box design so people have some visual indication they can play it on their new console?

Frankly I think that's doable, but there are a handful of question marks:

• what's happening with Smash development next time around?
  • what's happening with 2D Mario, and EPD 8's 2D game? 2D Mario and Prime 4 are holiday 2023 candidates for me on the current Switch.
  • if EPD 8 aren't making DK (I think they are), what is their 2D game?
  • how long does it take for Nintendo to get the next new Zelda together, and what could they substitute it with? HD remasters and 2D remakes (or a new title) are good multi-million sellers, but open world Zelda is on another level.

EPD 4 has several project leads that have been no-shows for a while when it comes to directing:

Hiromasa Shikata - 1-2-Switch (may have worked on the supposed Everybody's 1-2-Switch)
Tsubasa Sakaguchi - Labo VR Kit (may have worked on Game Builder Garage as a producer/supervisor)
Hiroshi Matsunaga - Ring Fit Adventure (also was a producer on Mario Kart Live)
Naoki Masuda - Game Builder Garage (also worked on Switch Sports)
Yuichiro Ito - Miitopia (worked on Ring Fit Adventure between original and port)
Kenta Kubo - Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain

Then you have the potential of Rhythm Heaven moving to EPD 4, with staff like Masami Yone and Takafumi Masaoka being credited on Big Brain Academy. GBG being an off-shoot of Labo and Miitopia being a port may indicate that Masuda and Ito's directorial roles were one-offs.

Unless most of these are working a new title to showcase new hardware, I think we'll see multiple release from EPD 4 by the end of the Switch's life.

EPD 4 has several project leads that have been no-shows for a while when it comes to directing:

Hiromasa Shikata - 1-2-Switch (may have worked on the supposed Everybody's 1-2-Switch)
Tsubasa Sakaguchi - Labo VR Kit (may have worked on Game Builder Garage as a producer/supervisor)
Yuichiro Ito - Miitopia (worked on Ring Fit Adventure between original and port)

Then you have the potential of Rhythm Heaven moving to EPD 4, with staff like Masami Yone and Takafumi Masaoka being credited on Big Brain Academy. GBG being an off-shoot of Labo and Miitopia being a port may indicate that Masuda and Ito's directorial roles were one-offs.

Unless most of these are working a new title to showcase new hardware, I think we'll see multiple release from EPD 4 by the end of the Switch's life.

With TLOZ: TotK and Pikmin 4 being potential AAA projects from EPD internal core, what's left to come really all depends on when the next hardware is launching. I can definitely see one big Q4 game (3D Mario) and one last Spring game (DK?). I could see a scenario where if Switch 2 is Fall 2024 - that we could have something like the 2D Mario and maybe a Tomodachi game being polished for an impactful launch. Some smaller projects and remasters can really fill in the rest for what's left of Swtich first-party.

How do we know that Hiromasa Shikata worked on 1-2 Switch? Is has no credits. The last game he is credited is Tri Force Heroes. But I assume that it's probably from patents.

Quoted by: N75
How do we know that Hiromasa Shikata worked on 1-2 Switch? Is has no credits. The last game he is credited is Tri Force Heroes. But I assume that it's probably from patents.
Yeah he was credited on a patent that was the basis for the Eating Contest game.

He was also on a Nintendo recruitment poster with the game but I can't find the actual source right now.

Last edited:
When I say that, I meant a collab ala Bayonetta, or Luigi's Mansion 2 (before NLG got acquired)
gotcha, please next time make sure to not call those anything with "third party" in it. they're external development collaborations. neither PG nor NLG were/are "third party", they are/were independent studios doing work-for-hire. a third party exclusive is when Ubisoft make ZombiU exclusively for N's platform. a collab is when Ubi has Nintendo do casual supervision on Mario+Rabbids or when Daemon X Machina is exclusively on Switch for 6-12 months and Nintendo publishes it in the West or WW.

Their usual PlatinumGames-style collaboration is a first party production with an external development partner. That's a lot of words but I'm just trying to make clear that using third party exclusive is something entirely different.

With TLOZ: TotK and Pikmin 4 being potential AAA projects from EPD internal core, what's left to come really all depends on when the next hardware is launching. I can definitely see one big Q4 game (3D Mario) and one last Spring game (DK?). I could see a scenario where if Switch 2 is Fall 2024 - that we could have something like the 2D Mario and maybe a Tomodachi game being polished for an impactful launch. Some smaller projects and remasters can really fill in the rest for what's left of Swtich first-party.

Gut feeling tells me to swap around when the next 2D and 3D Mario launch, even if the latter should theoretically have been in production for longer (2D Mario likely starting around end of Splatoon 2 content updates / Mario Maker 2's launch; due to the absence of certain leads on Splatoon 3, and the recruitment in August 2019). I think a big 3D Mario would make for an even more impactful launch title; more opportunities to show off the increased visual fidelity that would come with new hardware.

For Donkey Kong, i'd give it until the launch of the Super Nintendo World Donkey Kong expansion in Japan (by Summer 2024) to surface. They'd want to have some Donkey Kong release launch within the same period (3D World + Bowser's Fury was always set to launch the same year as the park opening, even before both were delayed); so if it doesn't happen i'd expect a remaster of Returns in place of it (don't think this exists, though).

I hope Tomodachi manages to show up sooner than that; but at this point I guess it'd be weird to drop a game with that much evergreen potential so late in the console lifecycle (unless it continues to be supported on the new hardware, of course).

Back
Top Bottom