• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

I'm of the opinion Next Level Games is developing Luigi's Mansion 4 since they finished the original, and another game at the same time.
Sure, they can deliver a Punch Out, or Mario Strikers or be helping Retro with MP4, but the main project will be LM4 to be both another software huge seller for Switch and a looker as a Dane showcase. I expect it for 2023/24

Are they big enough to be working on two projects at once at the moment?

While another Luigi's Mansion would make sense given how successful the last two have been, I'm hoping they're working with another Nintendo property. Helping Retro on Prime 4 would be... disappointing. I'd hope Retro would be able to handle that on their own.

Platform: Nintendo Switch

● Taste: Action game / ported title

● Business outline: Please create a background object or place an object on the created background to create
an image that matches the world view.

・ Porting and creating a new background
・ One map will be created by one person (supervised)

● Recommended skills:
・ Experience using Nintendoware
Yeah the job is for Imagica Digitalscape for outsourcing for a Vanpool-developed Switch port of sorts, likely using NintendoWare Bezel Engine (some 3rd-party stuff uses it like Nippon Columbia's stuff, Vroom in the Night Sky by Poisoft (yes) and the 99 series, including Pac-Man 99).

The machine translation plus above makes it easy to figure out.

While another Luigi's Mansion would make sense given how successful the last two have been, I'm hoping they're working with another Nintendo property. Helping Retro on Prime 4 would be... disappointing. I'd hope Retro would be able to handle that on their own.
remember that they had Monster Games also help with DKCTF. They're certainly not doing something as big and important as Prime 4 by themselves.

I think they're being helped by either NST or NLG because while making MP4 they've been also remaking MP1.
But I think it's more likely NST and NLG would be involved in a multiplayer mode for it.
I think NLG would be able to work at two projects because they'd have a longer development deadline and only a small part of the studio would work on the side project.
Like Monolith Soft was helping with BotW while also making XBC2, and now are probably working on Xenoblade 3 while helping with BotW2.

I think they're being helped by either NST or NLG because while making MP4 they've been also remaking MP1.
But I think it's more likely NST and NLG would be involved in a multiplayer mode for it.
I think NLG would be able to work at two projects because they'd have a longer development deadline and only a small part of the studio would work on the side project.
Like Monolith Soft was helping with BotW while also making XBC2, and now are probably working on Xenoblade 3 while helping with BotW2.
I don't see Prime even having a multiplayer mode. They went out of their way to highlight that their direction was "back to the roots" with this one. Prime ain't Halo, as much as everyone at the time wanted to pit the two against each other.

(but still, just have someone do FF with BB in HD and call it a day!)

remember that they had Monster Games also help with DKCTF. They're certainly not doing something as big and important as Prime 4 by themselves.

I suppose this is true; if they needed help for Tropical Freeze, they'll probably need help for this as well.

It's possible, though I would rather they use NST if they need a studio for assistance. Next-Level would be best utilized working on their own projects, I think.

I don't see Prime even having a multiplayer mode. They went out of their way to highlight that their direction was "back to the roots" with this one. Prime ain't Halo, as much as everyone at the time wanted to pit the two against each other.

(but still, just have someone do FF with BB in HD and call it a day!)
I see it the same way, for the most part.

If a Prime game was to ever MP, I almost imagine it'd have to be something that would "fit" Metroid better than some traditional deathmatch, capture the flag, etc. Nintendo has Splatoon for all that. Maybe something more akin to Souls-style "phantom invasions"?

The way I figure, the only way they could up the ante with "stalkers" in Metroid is if there was a human brain behind one of them.

If a Prime game was to ever MP, I almost imagine it'd have to be something that would "fit" Metroid better than some traditional deathmatch, capture the flag, etc. Nintendo has Splatoon for all that. Maybe something more akin to Souls-style "phantom invasions"?

The way I figure, the only way they could up the ante with "stalkers" in Metroid is if there was a human brain behind one of them.
just make Hunters HD. that was a good multiplayer game

I mean Prime 2 does have multiplayer, and also...

just make Hunters HD. that was a good multiplayer game
This. Have NST/NLG make a multiplayer mode that's basically Hunters.

I mean Prime 2 does have multiplayer, and also...

This. Have NST/NLG make a multiplayer mode that's basically Hunters.
To be fair! ...I forgot to say "new" Prime. LOL

But any way, I just don't know if they'll really go for that kind of thing, again. Chasing after Halo didn't really do Metroid any favors before, and it'd be a surefire way to upset fans who would get antsy the moment MP is mentioned at all, after being promised a "return to form".

The last game that they worked on alone that has credits listed at mobygames is Dillon's Rolling Western (2012). There were about 50 developers, some of which were Nintendo producers.

I will use your figure as estimated. I have not found official figures.

subsidiaries are ONLY studios nintendo OWNS.

"second party" is a fancy way of saying "we work together a lot" - nothing more.

just stick with the structure in the OP, they're listed under as frequent collaborators, like Feet said.

I will forever be against "second party" as a branding. "frequent collaborator" is a better term to use

I have updated my post with the number of employees to follow the structure and names of the main post.

One of the reasons Nintendo bought NLG was specifically for better co-ordination with their other teams. It might simply mean that a dozen or so NLG staff do bits and pieces to help Retro out; development assistance doesn't need to absorb too much of NLG's resources and it would be self-defeating given Nintendo want to ensure more efficient development.

At this point, every project Nintendo are making has some form of multi-team set-up, even if it's only low-level assistance. Emily or Nate suggested that Retro Studios have also had development assistance with their remaster of Prime HD, but haven't stated who provided that assitance.

At this point, every project Nintendo are making has some form of multi-team set-up, even if it's only low-level assistance. Emily or Nate suggested that Retro Studios have also had development assistance with their remaster of Prime HD, but haven't stated who provided that assitance.
I mean yea, that is just how they do all of these (especially remasters where the bulk of it is reworked assets anyhow). That's also one of these speculative things you don't really need insiders for (not a diss towards them, just a big supporter of using one's own common sense and experience).

Well the main half of Brownie Brown that formed Brownies announced Egglia Rebirth for Switch! So if you've been hungry for more Magical Starsign, there you go. :p

I still wish Brownie Brown stayed intact. I know 1UP-Studio has been invaluable to EPD Tokyo for their assist work, but still, Brownie Brown were working on cool JRPGs on the side. Weirdest was their work mostly being on 3rd-party games including... Blue Dragon Plus on DS with Microsoft!?

Grezzo added a Planner position to their recruitment site last week. They're also still looking for UI Designers and Engineers.

Machine translation:

Available Positions
Level Design 1 person

Start of employment
From January 2022

Job Description
Client development for consumer games.
As a Level Design Planner, you will be responsible for all aspects of level design, starting with level design and ending with implementation.

You will be responsible for the following:

1) Level design, including how to play.
Design the level including how to play.
Design the specifications of enemies and gimmicks appearing on the map.
Designing the map and building the gameplay involving enemies and gimmicks

2) Creation of data
Create a mock-up (simple model) of the terrain
Placement of gimmicks, enemies, etc.
Setting attribute data, etc.

3) Cooperation with other professions
Implementation in cooperation with designers and programmers

4) Adjustment
Improve the quality of the created level
Adjusting the level of difficulty
Correction of defects
Experience and aptitude

<What we are looking for
Have worked on several action game level design titles.
Able to take charge of a series of level design work from design to implementation and adjustment.
Able to work in cooperation with programmers and designers.

<Preferred skills
Experience using Unity/Unreal or Maya (It is not a difficult task, so no problem if you don't have experience)
Application documents
Resume (can be written on a PC, photo attached, email address, and desired position clearly written)
Please submit a CD-R or USB with your work data.
Curriculum vitae

Grezzo added a Planner position to their recruitment site last week. They're also still looking for UI Designers and Engineers.

Machine translation:
seem like the next 2D Zelda is progressing well.

I'm not sure if their next game is Zelda-related. The last few recruitment ads (Tri Force Heroes, Link's Awakening) mentioned something about working on a "Legend". This time, they're referring to it as an "original work".

Interesting that the initial recruitment just lists "Game Programmer", but has since changed to "Unity Engineer".

There were around 40-50 Grezzo staff uncredited or only listed under Special Thanks in the Miitopia port. I wonder if we'll at least see this new title next year.

I hope Grezzo's got a non-Zelda title coming. Some originality would be great. Hope it would be another Nintendo partnership too like Ever Oasis. Nintendo's lacking in new IPs in the near future right now

I hope Grezzo's got a non-Zelda title coming. Some originality would be great. Hope it would be another Nintendo partnership too like Ever Oasis. Nintendo's lacking in new IPs in the near future right now
I would love it if they just wend and ported over all those original games they put out on 3DS in its last two years or so with some enhancements and improvements. All the ones that crashed and burned commercially despite being good-excellent games (Code Name S.T.E.A.M., Ever Oasis, Dillon Dead-Heat Breakers...).

Assuming there's a February Direct, and that the game is now on track after the reported issues, I figure that's when we see it. Maybe at TGA.
There were no "reported issues" though. The report about them working on performance improvements is just ...gamedev. All games run like crap until you go to polish. It's one of my issues with this rumor reporting stuff. Basic every day things turn into "ah, that game is having problems!" and get blown out of proportion.

Grezzo “New Project“ summary
  • Action game
  • An “original work”
  • Has likely been in development since Link’s Awakening released in Late 2019
  • Said to have a “medieval” and “stylsih” aesthetic
  • Grezzo looking for artists with experience in creating UI for 3D games (this is vague, as the game could be on a fixed plane)
  • Possibly runs on Unity

Last edited:
Found another tidbit about them wanting artists with experience in 3D games, but it‘s a bit vague. It could be a 2D game on a 3D plane.

Experience and aptitude
<Required Skills
Experience in UI creation for 3D games

This may be a little off-topic, but hearing in the other thread that Advance Wars was originally a 2020 game kinda sucks lol. At least that puts a perspective on why there were not normal Directs last year.

Its been so quiet on the Monolith Soft news.
Soon they'll blow our minds with the best visual showcase the Switch has to offer and they'll finally be honored with the title of Nintendo's premiere graphical powerhouse developer. No rushed development with a longer development cycle, more internal employees than ever before, and a higher budget.

x-13-1.jpg

Switch_XBC2_ND-1107_SCRN_04_bmp_jpgcopy.jpg

X2C3WT0072.jpg

xenoblade-e-6.jpg

fd8e7d30a17db3e49131d0f279897793.jpg

Missed the news of Vanpool working on a Switch port of... something, on the previous page.

Hard to think of any specific prediction, because it could be a lot of things really. Super Kirby Clash is technically a 3DS port, and that's not something anyone expected Vanpool to be working on until it happened.

Soon they'll blow our minds with the best visual showcase the Switch has to offer and they'll finally be honored with the title of Nintendo's premiere graphical powerhouse developer. No rushed development with a longer development cycle, more internal employees than ever before, and a higher budget.

x-13-1.jpg

Switch_XBC2_ND-1107_SCRN_04_bmp_jpgcopy.jpg

X2C3WT0072.jpg

xenoblade-e-6.jpg

fd8e7d30a17db3e49131d0f279897793.jpg
Imagine Xenoblade with global illumination

x-13-1.jpg
They time the took to make X made that world worth the wait, so hopefully XB3 will also be as intricately designed. Maybe they'll be able to close the gap between the linear and open approaches even more.

They time the took to make X made that world worth the wait, so hopefully XB3 will also be as intricately designed. Maybe they'll be able to close the gap between the linear and open approaches even more.
I hope they improve the gameplay of their exploration. I want more environmental interactivity to push the evolving progression of open world. Right now everything is pretty regular with a lot of open fields and not much other than treasures and enemies to engage with. I wonder (since this is the first new Xenoblade from the ground up since BotW came out) if they'll look at BotW, especially as a developer who worked on it, and implement some of its world interactive philosophies. It is a Monolith Soft type thing to do for developers who consider map/world design their number 1 priority.

Imagine Xenoblade with global illumination
They do need a lighting overhaul. That would help solve some of their presentation issues. They added depth of field in Torna (a mega low quality version), improved on that engine for XC: Definitive Edition (a much cleaner, no bleed, no ghosting DoF), now adding a real time day night cycle, better and more accurate shadows and highlights, improved LoD, improved grass distance, better ground textures, higher resolution, and somewhat of an attempt at actual localized lip syncing, they'll be gold

Edit: And dynamic foliage/moving trees. They really gotta work on their tree tech. No idea why they transitioned to static trees when XC1 on the Wii had moving tree leaves. It looks so static and ugly as it is now.

Last edited:
probably it was a mistake
To be fair, 2020 and 2021 were Covid years, and games had to be shuffled around accordingly. Either due to development reasons, marketing reasons, or both.

Predicting release schedules isn't easy even if your sources are A++ quality. My understanding is 3D World was originally a Holiday 2020 title - not a February 2021 title. Another first party game must have been delayed from Jan-March 2020, so they filled that slot with 3D World. That's why that had to extend Mario's 35th anniversary celebration beyond 2020 (into early 2021). Pikmin 3 Deluxe was originally suppose to be a Spring title, not an October title. Again, games got shuffled around.

Advance Wars was suppose to be 2021, but it's getting bumped into early 2022. Delays happen.

Also, Zelda BOTW2 isn't "rumored" for 2022. A 2022 release date for BOTW2 was officially announced by Nintendo at E3 last year! That didn't come from insiders, it came from Nintendo's mouth. :p We'll see if Nintendo can stick the landing on its release date.

Emily made a post in the Nintendo General Discussion thread talking about Nintendo's 2022 lineup. Just go a couple of pages back and you should see the post.
Wayforward must've been crushed by the pandemic if that's the case. Yeesh.
That was wild to hear AW was 2020 then bumped to 2022. Even with Covid
probably it was a mistake
Really? Woof. Which thread btw?
This proves how easy it is for misinformation to spread.

I said AW was 2021, not 2020. :p Here is the post I made.

I think you might be mixing up what I said regarding 3D World Deluxe.

This proves how easy it is for misinformation to spread.

I said AW was 2021, not 2020. :p Here is the post I made.

I think you might be mixing up what I said regarding 3D World Deluxe.

I think people were referring to this post

I was surprised as well

I think people were referring to this post

I was surprised as well

Oh snap! That's definitely a typo/mistake. AW was always intended for 2021, not 2020. I went ahead and edited it.

@Hidden04 @Miraj @Hero of Legend @Dark Cloud @MetalLord

Huge apologies for the confusion. I'll try to be more careful next time.

Creatures have finally acknowledged their acquisition and merger of Ambrella. Looks like it went through at the end of November last year.

This brings their staff number up to 178 (from 144 in August 2019).

Last edited:
Creatures have finally acknowledged their acquisition and merger of Ambrella. Looks like it went through at the end of November last year.

This brings their staff number up to 178 (from 144 in August 2019).

well that solves that question. I don't think Ambrella was that big, wonder why an acquisition. though I guess doing it this way gives them all their assets like studio leases and equipment

Quoted by: N75
well that solves that question. I don't think Ambrella was that big, wonder why an acquisition. though I guess doing it this way gives them all their assets like studio leases and equipment
The last Rumble game was in development for 3-4 years and bombed, so I'm guessing that Ambrella didn't have much time left on their own. Having worked on Pokemon for years was probably a good enough reason for Creatures.

I also noticed that most of the programmers for Detective Pikachu seemed to be new. I'm not sure if Creatures was mostly outsourcing the programming for their games, but they're primarily a planning and art company. Maybe they also wanted to expand on the engineering front?

Back
Top Bottom