• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

2022 has gotten full of new first party titles, so I wonder if the next Nintendo Direct will focus mainly on already announced games that don't have a full release date (Kirby, Splatoon 3, Advance Wars). There is a chance that there could be more titles that have been announced tho. I do hope we next Odyssey 2 next year.
They always announce games. The next direct will have a new first party game announcement

Really? Anyone that was from original SMRPG team at Square? I know some alpha dream people ended up working on Fantasian with Sakaguchi as well.
That sucks. Nintendo should've just rounded up the team under a new studio built from scratch. if they couldn't buy Alpha Dream due to the debt they had (making it quite expensive), they could've just pulled an ND Cube and just housed them in a new team as a first-party. Maybe they could've brought them into 1UP-Studio as they were Brownie Brown that was also founded by numerous Square folks, and do work mainly on Mario games by EPD Tokyo, maybe they could've returned to making their own games, starting with a Mario & Luigi on Switch. What a waste.

And yeah, I checked MobyGames, quite a few of the top brass from Alpha Dream did work on Fantasian. No indication on where they work at, as Arzest also worked on it according to their site, but only the individual employees are referenced, rather than Arzest itself.

Fantasian seems great, so if AlphaDream staff ended up working on that, good for them! There's no need for them to be shackled to Nintendo if that's not what they're interested in pursuing.

In any case, with some at ILCA, it seems that at least a handful didn't stay away from Nintendo games for very long!

That sucks. Nintendo should've just rounded up the team under a new studio built from scratch. if they couldn't buy Alpha Dream due to the debt they had (making it quite expensive), they could've just pulled an ND Cube and just housed them in a new team as a first-party. Maybe they could've brought them into 1UP-Studio as they were Brownie Brown that was also founded by numerous Square folks, and do work mainly on Mario games by EPD Tokyo, maybe they could've returned to making their own games, starting with a Mario & Luigi on Switch. What a waste.
Why? They are a tiny team with no experience in 3d. They weren't worth building a studio around

I'm seeing five people who worked on AlphaDream games credited on BDSP. Three programmers and two UI designers.

Most of the game designers/planners and programmers still seem to be unaccounted for.

2022 has gotten full of new first party titles, so I wonder if the next Nintendo Direct will focus mainly on already announced games that don't have a full release date (Kirby, Splatoon 3, Advance Wars). There is a chance that there could be more titles that have been announced tho. I do hope we next Odyssey 2 next year.
There'll definitely be several first party announcements the next time Nintendo do a full Direct. A good comparison for right now would be late 2018, when we had games like Luigi's Mansion 3, New Super Mario Bros U DX, Yoshi, Fire Emblem, Daemon x Machina, and Animal Crossing already announced for 2019. Nintendo announced Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 at TGA, then announced Tetris 99, a new Boxboy, Super Mario Maker 2, Astral Chain, and Link's Awakening in the February 2019 Direct, plus Pokemon Sword and Shield the following week.

My hope is we get a Direct in the usual February spot, with release dates for Kirby, Advance Wars, and Splatoon 3, plus 3 or 4 more first party announcement. We'll also have to see what Nintendo show at TGA.
Fantasian seems great, so if AlphaDream staff ended up working on that, good for them! There's no need for them to be shackled to Nintendo if that's not what they're interested in pursuing.

In any case, with some at ILCA, it seems that at least a handful didn't stay away from Nintendo games for very long!
I'd also hope Fantasian ends up on Switch, so former AlphaDream staff will have more of their work on Switch that way, too.

I'd say that Fire Emblem game is a safe bet for the Q1 Direct, especially if it lands somewhere in H1. They've gotta lay out that H1 first-party lineup quick, because after Legends Arceus in January nothing is dated; at least as far as NCL are concerned. They aren't publishing Triangle Strategy in Japan and Advance Wars isn't announced there period; neither are included on the 2022 software slide from results briefing presentation earlier in the month:

qjEpsKG.png

For the record, Nintendo grouping in Kirby with Pokemon as an "early" 2022 title here just strengths my belief in it launching in March or April; it won't be May. The order they list the 2022 titles in is absolutely going to end up being the release order too, book it.

Hard to really make a call on anything else, rumored or not. Even the Casual Stinker Sequel being teased by Emily wouldn't necessarily be a Direct announcement depending on what it is; could go the way of Labo, Ring Fit, Game Builder and Brain Training / Academy.

and yes; a console port (not just for Switch) of Fantasian would be very nice. Then Mistwalker should look into making The Last Story HD happen.

Last edited:
I'd say that Fire Emblem game is a safe bet for the Q1 Direct, especially if it lands somewhere in H1. They've gotta lay out that H1 first-party lineup quick, because after Legends Arceus in January nothing is dated; at least as far as NCL are concerned. They aren't publishing Triangle Strategy in Japan and Advance Wars isn't announced there period; neither are included on the 2022 software slide from results briefing presentation earlier in the month:

qjEpsKG.png

For the record, Nintendo grouping in Kirby with Pokemon as an "early" 2022 title here just strengths my belief in it launching in March or April; it won't be May. The order they list the 2022 titles in is absolutely going to end up being the release order too, book it.

Hard to really make a call on anything else, rumored or not. Even the Casual Stinker Sequel being teased by Emily wouldn't necessarily be a Direct announcement depending on what it is; could go the way of Labo, Ring Fit, Game Builder and Brain Training / Academy..

I would predict FE and Xeno 3 as for opening/close announcements. Add Splatoon 3 as main spotlight with an in-depth trailer (including release date).

Is probable Kirby gets its date via twitter (if its releasing late march) on early january, just like Yoshi Crafted World back in 2019.

Don’t know how they will market M+R2. Maybe it will get a new trailer at TGA or winter direct, or they will saved it for next E3. RE Outrage (if its timed Switch exclusive and is still planned ti be released next spring) screams as a TGA announcement for me (+ Village is nominated for GOTY category). In the last 3 TGA they announced a exclusive third party title (2018: MUA3, 2019: BD2, 2020: GnG Resurrection).

Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime and Zelda BOTW2 announcements will be saved for E3 + 2023 games.

I'm hoping that early next year they'll make two announcements for 2023 like this year had Splatoon 3 and Triangle Strategy.
If I had to bet they'd make Super Mario Odyssey 2 as the ending announcement with a 2023 release date (and date it for march at E3 like Animal Crossing or for may or June at a later date).
Maybe the other game would be a teaser for Metroid Prime 4 after a Metroid Prime Remaster announcement. It would end with a 2023 release year. But that wouldn't happen if MPR ends up being announced at the TGA, were MP4 would just get a teaser with no release date, then at E3 a trailer with a 2023 release year like BotW2 got. Or maybe it's an E3 announcement.
I was thinking about a Mario Kart Next announcement but I think they'll reveal that one closer to launch. Like September direct if it's spring or summer 2023 or E3 if it's holiday 2023.
Speaking about likely candidates for 2022 releases that would be announced at an early year Direct, the most likely candidates to me are Xenoblade Chronicles 3 and Fire Emblem. I think both would make good late summer releases like July for FE and September for XC3. I believe Bayonetta 3 will be shown again at the next direct with a late summer release date, like Astral Chain being announced at the February Direct for August 2019.

I would predict FE and Xeno 3 as for opening/close announcements. Add Splatoon 3 as main spotlight with an in-depth trailer (including release date)..
Oh boy, that's going to be one weeby direct ;P

I'm going to guess February for the direct. If they feel like it, they'll announce kirby's release date on its own on Twitter like they've done before. For first party announcements, yes I agree. Fire Emblem, Xenoblade 3, MP1HD if it isn't announced at TGA, and then maybe some smaller Eshop game similar to Boxboy, Part Time UFO

We'll get a MP1HD and Mario+Rabbids trailer at the Game Awards. That's my expectation for the event. Maybe a surprise by a third party ala MUA3, Bravely Default 2, NMH3 with the fancy animated trailer.

If DK comes next year the February Direct will most likely be DK and Xenoblade 3 announcement. Metroid Prime will be saved for E3. DK can be switched with Fire Emblem since that would have a great chance of coming H1 2022.

I would predict FE and Xeno 3 as for opening/close announcements. Add Splatoon 3 as main spotlight with an in-depth trailer (including release date).

Is probable Kirby gets its date via twitter (if its releasing late march) on early january, just like Yoshi Crafted World back in 2019.

Don’t know how they will market M+R2. Maybe it will get a new trailer at TGA or winter direct, or they will saved it for next E3. RE Outrage (if its timed Switch exclusive and is still planned ti be released next spring) screams as a TGA announcement for me (+ Village is nominated for GOTY category). In the last 3 TGA they announced a exclusive third party title (2018: MUA3, 2019: BD2, 2020: GnG Resurrection).

Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime and Zelda BOTW2 announcements will be saved for E3 + 2023 games.
Oh boy, that's going to be one weeby direct ;P

I'm going to guess February for the direct. If they feel like it, they'll announce kirby's release date on its own on Twitter like they've done before. For first party announcements, yes I agree. Fire Emblem, Xenoblade 3, MP1HD if it isn't announced at TGA, and then maybe some smaller Eshop game similar to Boxboy, Part Time UFO

We'll get a MP1HD and Mario+Rabbids trailer at the Game Awards. That's my expectation for the event. Maybe a surprise by a third party ala MUA3, Bravely Default 2, NMH3 with the fancy animated trailer.
I agree with both of you. I keep forgetting that M+R Sparks of Hope was announced way earlier than Kingdom Battle(that had only 2 and a half months from reveal to release), so maybe they're aiming to make it a spring release instead of late summer. That one and Resident Evil Outrage would make good TGA announcements. I'm thinking of both as May releases, with Nintendo letting May as a third party month like in 2017, maybe only with the casual stinker. Or maybe we get surprised with M+R being even a February game?? The first had two months from reveal to release, this one will have eight months if it releases in February.
Zelda Breath of the Wild 2 seems like a good candidate for a new trailer at TGA, and Metroid Prime Remaster sounds like the best possible announcement, but maybe they won't want to announce it without showing MP4 with a date, so they wait up until February Direct or E3 to reveal it.

I can see Mario + Rabbids getting a new trailer at the Game Awards also. Resident Evil Outrage has a high chance and BotW 2. It’ll be interesting. I think there’s a lot of cards Nintendo has to play, but where they will all fall is a mystery.

Resident Evil Outrage seems like another good candidate. I'm still curious if it's Switch timed exclusive or if that was all a misheard misunderstanding and it's the opposite

Quoted by: N75
I’ve seen speculation of Metroid Dread dlc. If there were to be dlc for this game, then the Game Awards is a great place to announce and drop it.

Action Pokemon Game?

In the list of hires at Game Freak, they are hiring for Game AI programmers who are experienced in developing Action games. I did not notice this at all. Could the next mainline Pokemon be an Action-RPG as well?
Just to go back to this, I’ve realized that almost none of the Giga Wrecker Alt. staff worked on SwSh. It’s very possible that they were all moved onto Arceus or even Gen 9 given the timeframe, but I also wouldn’t be shocked if another Gear Project title is well into development.

Giga Wrecker was initially released on Steam Early Access in 2017 before releasing fully two years later, with much of team also working on Let’s Go in between. All of the art was outsourced to another company (something also done for Little Town Hero), with GF handling the level design and programming. I believe the way Gear Project works is if you create an idea and flesh it out with 2/3 more people, you can submit it to the higher ups to get it greenlit.

I think we’ll have a better idea once Arceus is out.

Resident Evil Outrage seems like another good candidate. I'm still curious if it's Switch timed exclusive or if that was all a misheard misunderstanding and it's the opposite
I said it a while back, but when Outrage was meant to launch between Jan-Mar next year, Capcom were projecting 3 million sales within that quarter. That’s more than doable for Monster Hunter, but a console-exclusive Resident Evil is a different story. I think the only system that could manage to do that would be Playstation, given the series history with the platform. It took RE Village around 6 months to reach 5 million sales.

Last edited:
I said it a while back, but when Outrage was meant to launch between Jan-Mar next year, Capcom were projecting 3 million sales within that quarter. That’s more than doable for Monster Hunter, but a console-exclusive Resident Evil is a different story. I think the only system that could manage to do that would be Playstation, given the series history with the platform. It took RE Village around 6 months to reach 5 million sales.
Good point. Rip Switch version then 💀

I’ve seen speculation of Metroid Dread dlc. If there were to be dlc for this game, then the Game Awards is a great place to announce and drop it.
I doubt it, how would you fit DLC into Dread? I think they're just going straight to the next title

it's a single player RE. Revelations 3 in all but name
I hope it’s not first person. I’m really disliking the mainline directions.

VII isn’t fun to replay (tho my opinion on it is that it’s mediocre overall and I’m the minority on that). And Village isn’t fun either. But it might be that I’m not into first person. Especially horror since these games don’t scare me and the jump scares are more annoying to me since I see them coming. Plus a lot of those “cutscenes” that just stop the gameplay for a couple seconds for immersion

VII isn’t fun to replay (tho my opinion on it is that it’s mediocre overall and I’m the minority on that). And Village isn’t fun either. But it might be that I’m not into first person. Especially horror since these games don’t scare me and the jump scares are more annoying to me since I see them coming. Plus a lot of those “cutscenes” that just stop the gameplay for a couple seconds for immersion
I think DuskGolem said this was a third person shooter, so you should be good on that

Why? They are a tiny team with no experience in 3d. They weren't worth building a studio around
This is why we need to let go of nostalgia around studios. There's no point in hanging onto this notion of "getting the team back together" or something of that nature where suddenly a bunch of SMRPG devs are under the same roof again. They wouldn't make another game like that anyhow unless that came from the top down or lightning struck.

It always sucks when there's trouble and people lose their jobs but when they can reasonably be fine by folding into existing places here and there and don't have anything that - as a unit - makes them relevant to the platform holder in question or even just where the industry is going at large, then there's no rational business incentive to do anything like "forming a new studio" out of a team that worked on outdated tech pretty much exclusively until now.

The Revelations series is not first person and was decidedly made to be a throwback to older titles. The Ethan Winters series is first person.

Yeah, what happened to the rumored Switch RE game? I thought in the leak it was going to be announced in September. Is it now Nintendo's announcement for the Game Awards?

Seems like most of the Melody of Memory team from indieszero didn’t work on Brain Training or Big Brain Academy. Nintendo isn’t their only partner, but it might be something worth keeping an eye out for. Looking through the credits for Sushi Strikers, MoM had likely already started development, as most of the leads are only listed under Special Thanks. They were also supposed to release a game on the Epic Games Store back in March, but I can’t find any more info on it.

Yeah, what happened to the rumored Switch RE game? I thought in the leak it was going to be announced in September. Is it now Nintendo's announcement for the Game Awards?
From what I remember, Dusk Golem was the one that said there was an RE title being developed for Switch in mind, but may not necessarily be exclusive. They also never committed to saying that this title and Outrage were one in the same.

Then someone else apparently found files in the Capcom leak stating that Outrage was the codename for Revelations 3 and that there would be some sort of tie-in event with Re:Verse (remember that?). It was planned to be revealed in September around TGS, which of course never happened. There might have also been some evidence to suggest that it wasn’t releasing on Switch at all. The fact that screenshots were naturally forbidden in that Era thread makes things more difficult to parse.

It should be noted that not everything that Capcom was working on was in that spreadsheet and pretty much everything that was has been delayed to varying degrees. For example, there was competitive multiplayer game involving dinosaurs called Snappers that was meant to release on PC in a limited form back in September, with a full release in March.

Last edited:
That Epic Game Store game in March is the PC version of Melody of Memories. That's when all the Kingdom Hearts games dropped on EGS

Quoted by: N75
That Epic Game Store game in March is the PC version of Melody of Memories. That's when all the Kingdom Hearts games dropped on EGS
Ok, that makes sense thanks. I had forgotten that Square even made that deal so I was drawing a complete blank.

re: Outrage just gonna leave this here for a bit
The funny thing is, is that I’ve said many times that Outrage wouldn’t come to switch at launch as a prediction.

Hope I’m wrong in the end tho lol.

Last edited:
Resident Evil has been an yearly franchise for years now, with a trend of the games being released in the first half of the year.
Resident Evil VIllage came out in may, so Outrage was probably always an early 2022 game. Perhaps it was planned as a March release like MHR, so a September announcement would make sense, but since it was probably delayed and Capcom already told investors there are no more big games releasing this FY, it'll probably take the Village spot and release in May, so a TGA announcement makes a ton of sense specially because Village is nominated for GotY.

I think you're vastly underestimating RE after VII and Switch exclusives performances.
Resident Evil Revelation 1 and 2 were laaaaaate ass ports and that crossed 1 million on the Switch.
Switch exclusives in general sell great, Resident Evil is a great franchise and has a Nintendo history, Outrage will probably be classic RE, and we know how great MH did.

I'm taking Dusk's word for it and believing until it's announce, he was spot on with MHR and Village.

Dusk on Outrage, Switch etc.

I'm not saying too much, but Outrage I'm waiting to see. All the stuff in the leak on Outrage was for Outrage [Highway], which is part of the multiplayer stuff for RE, IE Resistance, RE:Verse. Without saying too much, that stuff is not on Switch, but is on every other platform.

Every time I've heard about Revelations 3, it was that it was coming to everything, with Switch as the lead platform. And I noted as I like to collect info that everything on Outrage in this leak was related to Outrage's planned update to multiplayer stuff, IE Highway.

There's more in the thread.

Edit: If that outsourcing notice refers to stuff for the multiplayer portion of Outrage this might be moot and in line with what Dusk said about the game

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom