• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

Game Freak created this year a new R&D division dedicated to the research of high end graphics

DeeplTranslate
"In order to promote the next generation of expression research and its implementation, we have established a department to play this role as a separate organization from the project in 2021.

In this organization, we would like to entrust you with the following missions
Researching new background 3D expressions for the next generation in the main content and developing the production flow in cooperation with R&D and TA involved in engine development.
Provide research results to each project and support during implementation"

A few highlights from the billion openings :

Implementation experience of fluid simulation using GPGPU

(BRDF design including special expressions such as hair and cloth, GI expression) Offline runtime calculation method for, procedural generation of terrain / trees, GPU-driven culling system, etc.)

You can set up PBR lighting using 3D graphic software and a game engine.

Shader development experience with game engines, DCC tools, etc.

Production experience in procedural workflows such as Houdini
・ Knowledge of scripts and shaders
・ Knowledge of writing and post effects

■ Tool usage experience
・ SubstancePainter
・ Photoshop
・ DCC such as Maya / Zbrush
・ Game engine such as Unity / UE4

They also hired some highly talented staff this year

Sadly its just too late for arceus,maybe even too late for gen 9,but the next next pokemon game will look good

Wow, amazing find @MetalLord!!!

+51 new employees is a notable jump in quantity, plus they also look like very talented people. For example, Nobuyuki Miura worked on making 60 FPS on F-Zero GX

image.png

Wonder how many teams have moved on to make games for the dane
Most, if not all of the first party titles in development at this point will probably support it in some capacity, but if you're talking just exclusives, probably only a few working on further out stuff.

Hmm, all right, but I do think the next game might have action elements. At the very least, it will be developed in Unreal engine.
I don't expect that. they probably want people whom are familiar with similar systems so they can copy it. if anything, I expect their next non-pokemon games to be in Unity again

Action Pokemon Game?

In the list of hires at Game Freak, they are hiring for Game AI programmers who are experienced in developing Action games. I did not notice this at all. Could the next mainline Pokemon be an Action-RPG as well?
There are also the Gear Project titles, but those usually have very small teams.

It says at the bottom that anything to do with Pokemon shouldn't be included with submissions.

Pokemon Quest was an action game developed internally at Gamefreak. The Gear Project stuff can also be action games as @N75 said

I don't see Pokémon becoming an ARPG anytime soon, what with TPCI trying to make increase the popularity of the VGC.

let's hope GF doesn't forget the Switch logo in the pitch
I would hope being in Nintendo's Tokyo HQ will forbid them from working on non-Nintendo systems. Like, they've been all but a Nintendo studio for 2+ decades, they shouldn't be wasting resources on non-Nintendo system development. The Tembo situation was such an embarrassment IMO and still leaves a bad taste in my mouth to this day.

Hopefully any Gear projects will take the Harmoknight route and be full Nintendo-collabs. Just my opinion.

Hell at this point they should scrap the Gear project until they finally nail the Pokémon series again. They should be 1000% all hands on deck for their Pokémon games. The last thing they need to do is have anyone do anything else when they're still struggling with the very franchise keeping them alive. They are taking strides in fixing this going by job postings and even their efforts right now with outsourcing BDSP and Arceus being far more ambitious, but still, they need to set their priorities straight until things are gravy again.

I wouldn't expect a Pokken sequel anytime soon to begin with. Most of the leads moved onto Snap afterwards.

Not sure if this was known before, but indieszero is confirmed to be the co-developer for Big Brain Academy.

Don't think so but, it makes a lot of sense. Indieszero is primarily a 2D studio (their work on Melody of Memory was largely just game design and planning with Square Enix doing the heavy lifting.) and Big Brain Academy is mainly 2D.

Not sure if this was known before, but indieszero is confirmed to be the co-developer for Big Brain Academy.

If I remember rightly, they also co-developed Brain Training on Switch and Sushi Striker.

Don't think so but, it makes a lot of sense. Indieszero is primarily a 2D studio (their work on Melody of Memory was largely just game design and planning with Square Enix doing the heavy lifting.) and Big Brain Academy is mainly 2D.
Does that imply they didn't even touch the non-Nintendo versions since I'd highly assume it was built for Switch in mind and then SE just built the game on said platforms or at minimum did the other ports. The credits still say Indies Zero in seemingly all versions, but it was very uncharacteristic for Indies Zero to do non-Nintendo development when they've been exclusive for, what, their entire existence and are SUPER close to Nintendo to the point you'd wonder how they aren't a first-party studio subsidiary already.

Idk if it's just been me thinking about it but I believe Next Level Games (or at least some of them), after their acquisition by Nintendo earlier this year, have been assisting Retro Studios with Metroid Prime 4.

I wonder if EPD prototyped a sequel or if this is just a barebones port of the Wii game that Indies is modifying/helping modify.

Idk if it's just been me thinking about it but I believe Next Level Games (or at least some of them), after their acquisition by Nintendo earlier this year, have been assisting Retro Studios with Metroid Prime 4.
Next Level and NST assisting Retro makes the most sense since there's not a crazy timezone difference. some other texas studios are probably helping too

Next Level and NST assisting Retro makes the most sense since there's not a crazy timezone difference. some other texas studios are probably helping too
NST and/or Next Level could be in charge of a potential multiplayer mode(s) considering both have experience with Metroid Prime Hunters (competitive arena shooter) and Metroid Prime Federation Force (cooperative) respectively.

Does that imply they didn't even touch the non-Nintendo versions since I'd highly assume it was built for Switch in mind and then SE just built the game on said platforms or at minimum did the other ports. The credits still say Indies Zero in seemingly all versions, but it was very uncharacteristic for Indies Zero to do non-Nintendo development when they've been exclusive for, what, their entire existence and are SUPER close to Nintendo to the point you'd wonder how they aren't a first-party studio subsidiary already
They are a small studio. They are generally not worth buying. I guess it's possible they didn't touch technically touch the other versions (though they list the PC version on their site albeit not specifically named) but, they were a core planning team so, I doubt it. I wouldn't be surprised if the game was pitched as Theatrhythm Kingdom Hearts before Nomura decided to incorporate it into the series lore. The thing I was pointing out is there didn't make the models, animations and a lot of the programming. It's to help understand the scope of the studio. They are similar to AlphaDream but, they seem a lot more flexible

Honestly, the Tembo excuse was so dumb that I can't help but imagine the actual scenario was that GF tried pitching it to Nintendo, but it didn't work out, which lead them to approach Sega due to Ken Sugimori's connections.

Nintendo brought over Pocket Card Jockey eventually, and Little Town Hero was released on Switch first, so I wouldn't be surpised if there was a timed-exclusivity deal.

Honestly, the Tembo excuse was so dumb that I can't help but imagine the actual scenario was that GF tried pitching it to Nintendo, but it didn't work out, which lead them to approach Sega due to Ken Sugimori's connections.

Nintendo brought over Pocket Card Jockey eventually, and Little Town Hero was released on Switch first, so I wouldn't be surpised if there was a timed-exclusivity deal.
I think Tembo was someone at Game Freak being pissed they were always connected to Nintendo in discussion. "we'll show them! we'll show them we are just as good without Pokemon!"

and then they proved they're "ok" at best and that their demographic for their ideas are on Nintendo systems

Quoted by: N75
I think Tembo was someone at Game Freak being pissed they were always connected to Nintendo in discussion. "we'll show them! we'll show them we are just as good without Pokemon!"

and then they proved they're "ok" at best and that their demographic for their ideas are on Nintendo systems
The two non-Pokemon games I've played (Drill Dozer, HarmoKnight) were pretty enjoyable.

I've heard good things about Pocket Card Jockey, mixed things about Little Town Hero, and pretty much nothing about Tembo or Giga Wrecker.

So, Should I add Vanpool as a second party subsidiary?, Does anyone know how many employees it has? 🤔
subsidiaries are ONLY studios nintendo OWNS.

"second party" is a fancy way of saying "we work together a lot" - nothing more.

just stick with the structure in the OP, they're listed under as frequent collaborators, like Feet said.

So, Should I add Vanpool as a second party subsidiary?, Does anyone know how many employees it has? 🤔
The last game that they worked on alone that has credits listed at mobygames is Dillon's Rolling Western (2012). There were about 50 developers, some of which were Nintendo producers.

Platform: Nintendo Switch

● Taste: Action game / ported title

● Business outline: Please create a background object or place an object on the created background to create
an image that matches the world view.

・ Porting and creating a new background
・ One map will be created by one person (supervised)

● Recommended skills:
・ Experience using Nintendoware

Dillon HD yall!

unironically want this. more mascot characters the better. someone get the devs of Sakura Samurai on the phone and tell them to make a sequel

Platform: Nintendo Switch

● Taste: Action game / ported title

● Business outline: Please create a background object or place an object on the created background to create
an image that matches the world view.

・ Porting and creating a new background
・ One map will be created by one person (supervised)

● Recommended skills:
・ Experience using Nintendoware

I can't read Japanese, but from their website it seems they maybe recently worked with S-E on Kingsglaive Final Fantasy XV and Dragon Quest XI (and maybe working on XII) as well as with Capcom on Monster Hunter Rise. I wonder if this could be for Sunbreak? Maybe they consider it a "port" since it is using Rise as a base?

About that 2D Action, 2D Mario game, I wonder if the reason why there has not been a 2D Mario game in a while is because they want to win back hardcore and causal fans who were burned out of the 2D NSMB games. Could the next 2D Mario be hand-drawn? That would be really cool.

I'm of the opinion Next Level Games is developing Luigi's Mansion 4 since they finished the original, and another game at the same time.
Sure, they can deliver a Punch Out, or Mario Strikers or be helping Retro with MP4, but the main project will be LM4 to be both another software huge seller for Switch and a looker as a Dane showcase. I expect it for 2023/24

I want a new Dillon game.
I would take a port of DHB for the Switch.
they don't wanna make people feel bad for skipping the secret goty of 2017 over silly 3DS snobbery

I can't read Japanese, but from their website it seems they maybe recently worked with S-E on Kingsglaive Final Fantasy XV and Dragon Quest XI (and maybe working on XII) as well as with Capcom on Monster Hunter Rise. I wonder if this could be for Sunbreak? Maybe they consider it a "port" since it is using Rise as a base?
note: "recommended experience: nintendoware"

Back
Top Bottom