• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

Pretty sure it's just a port of the mobile game that shut down a while ago. They're still pretty small according the official site. Less than 30 staff.
Ah, that's a bit unfortunate. I was hoping it would be a brand new entry. Thanks for the reply!

Quoted by: N75
Any bets on who’s the fanboy/fangirl who pushed for Endless Ocean to come back? Kaori Ando worked on the first game as debug support, but every pretty much every other person who worked on the originals either doesn’t appear to work at Nintendo anymore or has been moved to another department (Takao Nakano).

The return of Yamagami?
Nah probably not

Any bets on who’s the fanboy/fangirl who pushed for Endless Ocean to come back? Kaori Ando worked on the first game as debug support, but every pretty much every other person who worked on the originals either doesn’t appear to work at Nintendo anymore or has been moved to another department (Takao Nakano).

The return of Yamagami?
Nah probably not
Looking through the credits of both games, those choices make sense. Blue World had Yurie Hattori as a director maybe her, I guess it depends how much sway directors and planners have.

The return of Yamagami?
Nah probably not
The Jacques Cousteau of Nintendo

Little surprised if this was a major EPD production as a lot of reviews have been pretty negative about how little content this has (which has been very disappointing to read, was super hyped for this)
It's not just for Side Order, it's for the whole expansion pass and could be for everything added to the game after release.

It's not just for Side Order, it's for the whole expansion pass and could be for everything added to the game after release.

Oh, that makes more sense.

Was just pretty sad about Side Order as I was super hyped for it but looking over the amount of content available, it's just really thin compared to the amount you need in this genre.

Pretty sure Nintendo adds staff to credits in regular updates and Wave 1 was just the hub from Splatoon 1, so these are primarily just for Side Order.

Tagged EPD Side Order Credits

Thanks to MetalLord for posting the video and AstroGamer for transcribing the first run of credits for core staff (lookout for the full credits from him later). I started tagging the staff.

• Huge EPD production (some PIkmin 4 and Mario Kart BC Pass staff joined a lot of the retuning core of Splatoon 3 staff).
  • Huge EPD art staff with Namco-Bandai Singapore supporting.. also art support from Agni and Monolith (but on the smaller side like Splatoon 3).
  • EPD Programmers with SRD and Nintendo PTD (network group) also assisting program.
  • Some new hires.
  • Still a mix of additional Mario Club designers added to support EPD game designers. It's unclear if some of the Mario Club game designers become permanent EPD game designers.
How many people in total worked on Side Order and how does that compare to Splatoon 3 base game, other EPD Productions or other EPD DLC and Octo Expansion?

Pretty sure Nintendo adds staff to credits in regular updates and Wave 1 was just the hub from Splatoon 1, so these are primarily just for Side Order.
That hasn't been the trend for most Nintendo games especially considering Splatoon 3's credits had stylized graphics for each person while Side Order has them all in the same style. The ones that update the credits for updates have only one credits sequence.

We pretty much already knew this due to them being listed in the Special Thanks section, but anyway:

ncQS8Zf.png

Also assisted on graphics and events.

We pretty much already knew this due to them being listed in the Special Thanks section, but anyway:

ncQS8Zf.png

Also assisted on graphics and events.
Yeah, I figured as soon as we found out ArtePiazza was behind it, as Cattle Call (the folks behind Ark the Lad no less) work on every game with ArtePiazza; Opoona, all of their DQ remakes, Innocent Life, and the Romancing SaGa 2 remake I think.

Do we have any insight on how long Pokemon Legends Arceus was in development for? I'm assuming that if ZA launches early 2025 they'll have similar dev times

Development began in Autumn 2018 according to their CEDEC 2022 developer presentation, so it had a three-year development.

To put it on a timescale, we can make some assumption that Legends Arceus was finished a few months prior. Pre-production for a new title likely started a fair while prior to some degree but full fledged production for Z-A wouldn't have started until roughly after LA released. Assuming it releases either in Q1 of next year or Late Q3/Q4 2025, then that's around 3 years 4 Months to 4 years. That's not going to be too accurate, there's a lot more that happens during development and I can't really claim to understand the inner-machniations of Game Freak, but it still means this got a fair chunk of development time.

Both the planning director for Arceus (Yuichi Murase) and planning director for base SV (Hiroyuki Tani) haven’t been credited on anything since those titles, so probably one of them will be director of Z-A.

Gen 10 probably started full production a few months ago with the DLC out of the way with Ohmori and other staff working on pre-production since SV was almost done. With just a vague 2025 window (not even early 2022 like Arceus got) for Z-A, it makes Gen 10’s release timing a bit harder to guess.

So far, Game Freak’s layout looks like:

Pokemon Legends Z-A - 2025
Project Bloom - FY26 (April 2025 - March 2026)
Pokemon Gen 10 - 2026?
PAND LAND - ???

Pokemon titles will get the standard assistance from Creatures and other support devs. Maybe ILCA will have a larger role with graphics support this time around if they aren’t working on another Pokemon title. Project Bloom and whatever PAND LAND is may also have extensive outsourcing like GF’s previous Gear Project games, but it’s too early to say for sure. The recent Pocket Card Jockey: Ride On was primarily handled by two studios who mostly work on mobile games, which makes sense since Ride On released on Apple Arcade first.

Last edited:
*if Z-A launches in January 2025 which is a big assumption given the generic 2025 release date.
And the fact we've basically seen zero gameplay in the trailer. Arceus showed us the protagonists, some NPCs and the starters in the first video 😅

Both the planning director for Arceus (Yuichi Murase) and planning director for base SV (Hiroyuki Tani) haven’t been credited on anything since those titles, so probably one of them will be director of Z-A.
Wouldn't Kazumasa Iwao return to the directors role? I dont recall if he was in the DLC credits.

So we're basically not going to know who's developing Princess Peach Showtime until it comes out right? My bet is on Good-Feel.
Probably till the credits leak at this point, yeah, but evidence appears to point increasingly to Good-Feel.

He was credited under "World, Pokemon & Human Planning".

I could see him returning to the planning director role for Gen 10, but you never know.
It’s definitely possible he had a much more major role in swsh compared to sv and still was able to direct Legends. Im expecting him to play some kind of major role in ZA perhaps as a producer assuming he’s not working on Gen 10

I am hoping on NDCube for them to get better at game development.
NDcube is filled with Hudson Soft veterans. Them sticking to party games seems to be a conscious decision, even though they do have a department for creating new IP (which hasn’t materialized into anything yet).

Last edited:
This secrecy behind developers isn’t exactly new for Nintendo, but it used to be mostly limited to their smaller titles. Unless it’s a big name like Retro or Monolith, they seem content with the general public seeing all their games as “Nintendo games”. It doesn’t help that E3 being dead means no more press releases and interviews around that time.

Last edited:
NDcube is filled with Hudson Soft veterans. Them sticking to party games seems to be a conscious decision, even though do have a department for creating new IP (which hasn’t materialized into anything yet).
Did not know that about NDCube having a new department for creating IP. Good find.

This secrecy behind developers isn’t exactly new for Nintendo, but it used to be mostly limited to their smaller titles. Unless it’s a big name like Retro or Monolith, they seem content with the general public seeing all their games as “Nintendo games”. It doesn’t help that E3 being dead means no more press releases and interviews around that time.
i wish/hoped Nintendo could have give us more of the Ask the Developer series(do it for every/most of it games/systems, i miss Iwata Talks).

its weird because it seems its just epd, hal or IS so far so in the end, most of the titles wont have it
Monolith had it with XC3. So based one could say its based games made in-house, subsidiaries and very close partners. We will probably get one for Prime 4, but I wonder about Peach.

I noticed that Gen 7/8 era product descriptions on Nintendo's digital storefront used to show the developer (sometimes). For example, Tri-Force Heroes it clearly says the developer is "Nintendo/GREZZO" and Metroid: Samus Returns says "MercurySteam Entertainment / Nintendo" and Pokémon Rumble U it says "Ambrella".

For 3rd party publishers, even if they're not gonna say who the developer in the marketing if they're releasing the game on Steam or something it'll probably be revealed on the store page anyways.

Was just thinking, do you expect Captain Toad to return? Wonder how profitable that game was for Nintendo and if they would consider getting back to it. One of the few games that released on Wii U, 3DS and Switch.

Was just thinking, do you expect Captain Toad to return? Wonder how profitable that game was for Nintendo and if they would consider getting back to it. One of the few games that released on Wii U, 3DS and Switch.
This is the thing with Nintendo: successful or not, when they tell you they'll make a new one if they happen to think of a cool idea for it it's not just marketing fluff. Backseat business school brain would tell you "oh obviously this was very successful so there will be a sequel" but that doesn't mean much when it comes to Nintendo. Conversely, as we've seen time and time again, they bring back something seemingly extremely dead and niche. This is also why so much industry analysis of Nintendo's moves is often so comically off the mark.

So who knows. Maybe, maybe not. Maybe not for another 10 years.

Last edited:
I think Captain Toad is ideally suited to NST, as is Mario vs Donkey Kong. I'd love to see them develop a new episode of both series on their own. There's a balance to be struck between constantly settling for remakes or fantasising about unrealistic things. I can imagine NST releasing Toad 2 on Nintendo's next console. Sales aren't phenomenal, but neither is the scale of this kind of project.

What's also very interesting is that, with the release of Peach Showtime, absolutely every character from the Marioverse now has their own spin-off on Switch, with the notable exception of Bowser. I can't imagine that Nintendo, in its strategy of expanding its intellectual property, isn't already thinking about this idea. The trick is to come up with a relevant gameplay idea.

I think Captain Toad is ideally suited to NST, as is Mario vs Donkey Kong. I'd love to see them develop a new episode of both series on their own. There's a balance to be struck between constantly settling for remakes or fantasising about unrealistic things. I can imagine NST releasing Toad 2 on Nintendo's next console. Sales aren't phenomenal, but neither is the scale of this kind of project.

What's also very interesting is that, with the release of Peach Showtime, absolutely every character from the Marioverse now has their own spin-off on Switch, with the notable exception of Bowser. I can't imagine that Nintendo, in its strategy of expanding its intellectual property, isn't already thinking about this idea. The trick is to come up with a relevant gameplay idea.
Nintendo is keenly aware of fan reactions to stuff, and I'm very confident in saying that the biggest reason why Princess Peach: Showtime is being made is most likely because of the really positive reception to Peach's outfits in Super Mario Odyssey. Likewise, I could also imagine that playable Bowser in Odyssey getting good reception has given them ideas to see if a relatively more involved action-platformer on the level of Otogi Katsugeki Mameda no Bakeru from Good-Feel would work, especially if Showtime does good.

Not guaranteed to happen, but when phrased like that, it's certainly not an impossibility.

Nintendo is keenly aware of fan reactions to stuff, and I'm very confident in saying that the biggest reason why Princess Peach: Showtime is being made is most likely because of the really positive reception to Peach's outfits in Super Mario Odyssey. Likewise, I could also imagine that playable Bowser in Odyssey getting good reception has given them ideas to see if a relatively more involved action-platformer on the level of Otogi Katsugeki Mameda no Bakeru from Good-Feel would work, especially if Showtime does good.

Not guaranteed to happen, but when phrased like that, it's certainly not an impossibility.
It's interesting that you say that, because I was just thinking about Odyssey and thinking that a beat them up centred around Bowser would be great.

Luigi's Mansion 3 was a huge success, I'd love Nintendo to give NLG something else, and honestly Bowser would be a great character for them given the visual and artistic quality of LM3 and their track record with more arcade titles like Punch Out.

Idk if anybody has mentioned this recently but NLG are no longer looking for specific positions to fill, the only thing up on their Careers page is a link to a general application.

I noticed that Gen 7/8 era product descriptions on Nintendo's digital storefront used to show the developer (sometimes). For example, Tri-Force Heroes it clearly says the developer is "Nintendo/GREZZO" and Metroid: Samus Returns says "MercurySteam Entertainment / Nintendo" and Pokémon Rumble U it says "Ambrella".
The pages for Switch games still have a parameter for the game's developer, it's just not outwardly visible, e.g.
This only lists the publisher as Nintendo, but buried in the html is
Code:
"softwareDeveloper":"Paladin Studios"
Deku Deals picks up on this data and lists it on the sidebar

Back
Top Bottom