• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

How many people work at NST currently.

Could they do a full sequel to F-Zero GX

They could remaster F-Zero GX or make a spiritual successor maybe? I probably see them more making an F-Zero X99 or Puzzle League 99 next. Oh, but anything using online would still be heavy Nintendo on programmers (Nintendo PTD and Nintendo Services) handling the network/server aspect.

or Mario Maker 2 on their own?

Mario Maker 2 was still way too successful and relevant for a sequel not be an EPD creative lead project. Their involvement would be subordinate most likely. Again, anything online heavy is automatically going to have Nintendo development involvement on the network/server side (look at F-Zero 99).

The issue with Mario Maker as a franchise is that Mario Wonder 2 takes clear priority over Mario Maker 3, pushing back Mario Maker 3 to 2031 at the earliest if they don't get a new dev team.

How many people work at NST currently.

Could they do a full sequel to F-Zero GX or Mario Maker 2 on their own?
regardless, they wouldn't

The issue with Mario Maker as a franchise is that Mario Wonder 2 takes clear priority over Mario Maker 3, pushing back Mario Maker 3 to 2031 at the earliest if they don't get a new dev team.
when has that ever stopped them. mario maker doesn't need a new game every few years. especially true for MM, I'd argue.

also something something Odyssey 2. Mario Wonder 2 is a thing that doesn't exist. It might, it could, Who knows what they'll do next.

Sure, I would just personally like Mario Maker 3 before 2031 (at the earliest) as the Mario Maker community is extremely dead right now and I like watching Mario Maker content and playing Mario Maker levels.

DigiPen even has an article about the remake's music!

In early 2022, Lawrence Schwedler, program director for DigiPen’s audio degree programs, received a call from Nintendo that’s had him going “Wahoo!” ever since. Nintendo Software Technology (NST) told Schwedler they were remaking their 2004 Game Boy Advance (GBA) classic, Mario Vs. Donkey Kong, for the Nintendo Switch. Not only that, they were wondering if Schwedler would be interested in adapting and reproducing the original game’s soundtrack, which he had created nearly two decades earlier, for the new updated version.
“We are all blown away by how good the music turned out,” Schwedler says of the 68 individual tracks the group delivered to NST, recorded in secret at DigiPen’s campus throughout 2023. The achievement is a full-circle moment for both Schwedler and DigiPen as an institution, whose histories in the industry are both deeply intertwined with Nintendo and the extended Mario Vs. Donkey Kong franchise.
and more...

They even did a video for it!

The following DigiPen Department of Music faculty contributed to Mario Vs. Donkey Kong: Lawrence Schwedler (Music Director), Bruce Stark (Composition, Arrangement), Tacket Brown (Audio Producer), Eric Likkel (Saxophone, Clarinet), Nayoung Ham (Flute), John Kim (Violin), Carey Rayburn (Trumpet), Brian Shaw (Trumpet), Stephen O’Bent (Trombone), Pat Nelson (Bassoon, Contrabassoon), Brian Schmidt (Electric Bass), and Greg Dixon (Cinematic Sound Design, Mixing, and Mastering).

Just realized that Game Center CX 1 + 2 Replay releases in Japan next week, so hopefully we can track down the credits for the indieszero staff. The fact it’s being co-developed with another company makes another project likely.

Indieszero staff that worked on Big Brain Academy, but not Theatrhythm:

Nobuaki Tanaka
Masahito Muta
Ryuichi Raita
Hirotaka Watanabe
Katsunori Yazawa
Kaito Ohata
Masaru Arai
Yasuhiro Nakamura
Jun Maruyama
Yuuki Yamada
Shinya Ebihara
Yoshihiro Matsuyama
Yui Kamio

Just realized that Game Center CX 1 + 2 Replay releases in Japan next week, so hopefully we can track down the credits for the indieszero staff. The fact it’s being co-developed with another company makes another project likely.

Indieszero staff that worked on Big Brain Academy, but not Theatrhythm:
Who's the other developer again?

Mentioned this in the Direct thread, SMM2 got an update a couple of weeks back.
Could be similar to the presumed situation with Smash Bros., where the dev team did something else and is coming back to a new entry in the prior series, which is why they're going through old code
Or it could be Backwards Compatibility related.

It was noticed here when the first three contract positions for Studio 2/S were closed, but as recently as last week (forgot to post it here) the full time positions for Studio S have also now closed. None of the listings on the recruitment page of their site are open now.

It was noticed here when the first three contract positions for Studio 2/S were closed, but as recently as last week (forgot to post it here) the full time positions for Studio S have also now closed. None of the listings on the recruitment page of their site are open now.

"Studio 2/Studio S is currently not recruiting for mid-career positions"

Still waiting for that second interview to drop so we can get a better insight of the structure.

Speaking of Bandai Namco, while going on the Nintendo Direct speculation thread, I saw that there were assumptions around a gamecube game that would be both Nintendo and partner. I think I’m getting the wrong idea, but I’ll be very happy it’s Starfox Assault. We never really had any feedback on this famous HD remaster of action games commissioned by Nintendo.

"Studio 2/Studio S is currently not recruiting for mid-career positions"

Still waiting for that second interview to drop so we can get a better insight of the structure.

Oh, I was confused by this at first; when I posted it all six links were still there, they were just all closed on their individual pages. Now they're gone altogether. Guess I noticed a bit too early, haha.

How is Nintendo EPD teams structured? How many of the team members are fixed members only working at that EPD group? And how many developers are moved around to all the different EPD teams?

How is Nintendo EPD teams structured? How many of the team members are fixed members only working at that EPD group? And how many developers are moved around to all the different EPD teams?
the EPD teams are a handful of people, countable on two hands or less. the rest are from a large pool of devs who go where they are needed. they can work on everything from Mario Wonder, to Tears of the Kingdom, to Splatoon 3 Side Order, to Mario Kart 8D

Congrats to everyone who had Good-Feel as Princess Peach's dev because literally everything is so similar to Yoshi's Crafted World that I would be pretty shocked at this point if it wasn't Good-Feel.

It even has the "play the level again from a different perspective to find collectables" thing.

Good-Feel's total aversion to layers of depth (like you find in Mario Odyssey for example) or difficulty options feels a little much after all these years though.

Congrats to everyone who had Good-Feel as Princess Peach's dev because literally everything is so similar to Yoshi's Crafted World that I would be pretty shocked at this point if it wasn't Good-Feel.

It even has the "play the level again from a different perspective to find collectables" thing.

Good-Feel's total aversion to layers of depth (like you find in Mario Odyssey for example) or difficulty options feels a little much after all these years though.
I just asked a reviewer who attended the preview of the game, take this with a grain of salt since the conversation was in Italian and the Italian PR folks from Nintendo might have misunderstood the translation from NoJ (as in First Party becomes in-house), but he was told Princess Peach: Showtime is developed in-house from Nintendo. He also mentioned usually Good Feel games are labeled as such and this wasn't the case.

I just asked a reviewer who attended the preview of the game, take this with a grain of salt since the conversation was in Italian and the Italian PR folks from Nintendo might have misunderstood the translation from NoJ (as in First Party becomes in-house), but he was told Princess Peach: Showtime is developed in-house from Nintendo. He also mentioned usually Good Feel games are labeled as such and this wasn't the case.

That would be extremely surprising considering how many similarities there are to Yoshi's Crafted World.

And I don't think an internal Nintendo game has ever used Unreal Engine?

That would be extremely surprising considering how many similarities there are to Yoshi's Crafted World.

Pikmin 4 says hello! Keep in mind early in the Switch generation Miyamoto claimed all Nintendo employees were acccustomed with Unreal Engine to a degree

EPD Tokyo would have used ModuleSystem, not Unreal. And this is the only candidate that would have been plausible for internal development.

Moreover, it is enough to just look at the most recent images of the game to realize absolutely everything we see reminds Yoshi, especially collectibles.

But we'll sée.

Nintendo uses Unity for Jump Challenge, It wouldn't be surprising if some individual games use other external engines.

This was developed alongside Eighting.
Co-developed with Eighting.

In terms of Pikmin 4, Nintendo programmed the game alongside Eighting. So Unreal Engine 4 does have some basis to Nintendo programmers.

Now, I postulated that Kando and the other 2 lead EPD programmers involved may have programmed the original Pikmin "4" prototype that Eighting helped port using Unreal 4.. and that's how that all worked out..

but...

Kando seemed to have work on UE4 directly regardless. Also, Nintendo did hire UE4 contract programmers for an undisclosed project after. So it's complicated and not dismissible.

With all that said, I doubt Princess Peach was EPD in-house. Unless, it's another EPD launch project that another developer joined to finish (I doubt that too though).

may I invite you to have a look at the OP. it has that exact breakdown in there. plus all of this is just stuff we pulled together over many years, this isn't shared anywhere officially outside of dev team members being labeled with their role and group number in interviews sometimes. the other positions you're not seeing listed are basically all flexible. anything outside of leads. also, if you're just interested in casually understanding the structure, it's not that deep. digging too deep into who is where and whatnot is kind of futile unless you're interested in actively tracking all the personnel movement and changes.

Really hope they are saving a big patch for Switch 2 (and maybe some extra content?) because an Endless Ocean would be a great graphical showpiece to have at launch.

Surprised we still don't have a confirmed dev for Peach after the previews but as noted above they definitely suggest a Good-Feel game. I'm hoping there's so engaging depth in getting all the collectibles and such. I personally loved Crafted World, even though I'd put Woolly World a bit higher. YCW also started with some unexciting levels only to turn out much more creatively after the first 25-30% of the game. Still hopeful Peach will be solid.

Finally one game where we don't need to debate who's making it, lol.

1tKWgNK.png

Also notable is that the game releases on a Thursday. Nintendo first-party retail releases have been Friday for the entire Switch generation; I wonder if this is a new change in release strategy starting from next FY, or if this is just a weird one-off.

1tKWgNK.png

Also notable is that the game releases on a Thursday. Nintendo first-party retail releases have been Friday for the entire Switch generation; I wonder if this is a new change in release strategy starting from next FY, or if this is just a weird one-off.
It's releasing in the middle of Golden Week. May 3 is Constitution Memorial Day while May 2 isn't an actual holiday

1tKWgNK.png

Hardcore Xbox and Sony fans: arguing what developer should be bought next
Hardcore Nintendo fans: who in the hell is making the princess peach game

Hardcore Xbox and Sony fans: arguing what developer should be bought next
Hardcore Nintendo fans: who in the hell is making the princess peach game
Hardcore Xbox and Sony fans: Constantly wondering what mystery game a known developer might be making
Hardcore Nintendo fans: Constantly wondering what mystery developer is making a known game

1tKWgNK.png

oh i didnt notice the "authors" part of the copyright before!

I recorded most of the credits here. Will finish it later

Tagged EPD Side Order Credits

Thanks to MetalLord for posting the video and AstroGamer for transcribing the first run of credits for core staff (lookout for the full credits from him later). I started tagging the staff.

• Huge EPD production (some PIkmin 4 and Mario Kart BC Pass staff joined a lot of the retuning core of Splatoon 3 staff).
  • Huge EPD art staff with Namco-Bandai Singapore supporting.. also art support from Agni and Monolith (but on the smaller side like Splatoon 3).
  • EPD Programmers with SRD and Nintendo PTD (network group) also assisting program.
  • Some new hires.
  • Still a mix of additional Mario Club designers added to support EPD game designers. It's unclear if some of the Mario Club game designers become permanent EPD game designers.

Little surprised if this was a major EPD production as a lot of reviews have been pretty negative about how little content this has (which has been very disappointing to read, was super hyped for this)

Yoshiteru Fukada and Kenji Matsumoto were bumped to directors along with Shintaro Sato and Seita Inoue. They were the two highest credited game designers for the base game.

I'm a bit surprised that Toru Minegishi was involved, seeing as he was credited under EPD 7 by the time the base game released. I guess I shouldn't be since he essentially created Splatoon's sound.

Speaking of sound, Ryo Nagamatsu got one more project in before leaving.

Takuro Shimizu was not credited. He's been highly credited in every Splatoon game until now and was the highest credited artist in the base game.

Toshiharu Izuno credited  again under Special Thanks...

Last edited:
Yoshiteru Fukada and Kenji Matsumoto were bumped to directors along with Shintaro Sato and Seita Inoue. They were the two highest credited game designers for the base game.

I'm a bit surprised that Toru Minegishi was involved, seeing as he was credited under EPD 7 by the time the base game released. I guess I shouldn't be since he essentially created Splatoon's sound.

Speaking of sound, Ryo Nagamatsu got one more project in before leaving.

Takuro Shimizu was not credited. He's been highly credited in every Splatoon game until now and was the highest credited artist in the base game.

Toshiharu Izuno credited  again under Special Thanks...

Takuro Shimizu is credited. Check under the tagged credits link. I think Astro originally typed him as Takura Shimizu and I corrected it.

Quoted by: N75
Are there any updates on Genius Sonority staff or projects now that they announced that new Denpa Men game?

Quoted by: N75

Back
Top Bottom