• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

Holy crap arlo is so full of shit, how is he still believing in the goddamn "mario mandate", It doesn't fucking exist. Tanabe after the off the wall super paper mario with its multiversal storyline, miyamoto want him to expand the world building of the current mario universe instead of what ever the hell was flip side and in response he dumbed everything down out of spite while blaming him.
I will never fucking forgive paper mario fan and the big lie they perpetuated just to have an enemy they can act like victim to while excusing the one actually damaging the series. Miyamoto is a genius and the fact that his name is dragged through the mud because of this people feel me with shaking anger.
Sorry I just watch the new arlo video and I was just so angry I need some place to vent.

There are/were restrictions though.
I disagreed, because the moment you look into this whole mandate idea its instantly fell apart.
Lets say there is a mandate then it couldn't have come before super paper mario nor last after mario odyssey development since both of those was so diverse in its setting and races.
Then why was origami king so bland, if we said the pre production for it begin right after color splash gone gold then the mandate would have affected odyssey development since CS was released as the final big game for wii u before the switch but then odyssey turned out fine.
See what I'm talking about. It make no senses that a 2021 game would have been affected by a mandate that have stopped being in used since at least 2014.

Holy crap arlo is so full of shit, how is he still believing in the goddamn "mario mandate", It doesn't fucking exist. Tanabe after the off the wall super paper mario with its multiversal storyline, miyamoto want him to expand the world building of the current mario universe instead of what ever the hell was flip side and in response he dumbed everything down out of spite while blaming him.
I will never fucking forgive paper mario fan and the big lie they perpetuated just to have an enemy they can act like victim to while excusing the one actually damaging the series. Miyamoto is a genius and the fact that his name is dragged through the mud because of this people feel me with shaking anger.
Sorry I just watch the new arlo video and I was just so angry I need some place to vent.
yeahing for the second half (with which I strongly agree) but iirc there is actually a style guide that was gradually developed after strikers

edit: epd, of course, can break their own guidelines

I disagreed, because the moment you look into this whole mandate idea its instantly fell apart.
Lets say there is a mandate then it couldn't have come before super paper mario nor last after mario odyssey development since both of those was so diverse in its setting and races.
Then why was origami king so bland, if we said the pre production for it begin right after color splash gone gold then the mandate would have affected odyssey development since CS was released as the final big game for wii u before the switch but then odyssey turned out fine.
See what I'm talking about. It make no senses that a 2021 game would have been affected by a mandate that have stopped being in used since at least 2014.
the Mario mandate effect spin-off such as Paper Mario, Mario e Luigi, mainline 3D Mario is not affected by this mandate

Super Paper Mario is generally believed to be the reason Nintendo started cracking down on Mario spinoffs, along with the second Strikers. EPD are the standard bearers for Mario, working on the mainline games, and have always been broadly unaffected. It's always specifically been games made by external developers that are impacted.

please do not do Paper Mario discourse in the first-party thread, I beg feebly
948aead1b956dab3950215986e415c91.gif

You can never escape once your on the ride.

So I guess we will have to wait till Friday or later to get the credits of Detective Pikachu. So far I have not seen any leaks of the game.

software talk is starting to flood the hardware thread so maybe we could change the name of this thread to be more eye-catching like "Future Nintendo Software Speculation And Discussion" Thoughts @astrogamer @Mods?

software talk is starting to flood the hardware thread so maybe we could change the name of this thread to be more eye-catching like "Future Nintendo Software Speculation And Discussion" Thoughts @astrogamer @Mods?
but this isn't about future nintendo software speculation? it's the first party development thread.

if people in the hardware thread can't figure out that their talk about software is in the wrong place then renaming THIS clearly labeled thread won't help them.

send them to the general nintendo discussion thread where you can dream about imaginary games all you want.

its the earthbound team holy shit

What’s the context?

Also…I mean this in the nicest way possible, but it would be helpful if you would add context to your posts. When you have a few people quoting you about your messages, it causes disruption to the flow of conversation.

What’s the context?

Also…I mean this in the nicest way possible, but it would be helpful if you would add context to your posts. When you have a few people quoting you about your messages, it causes disruption to the flow of conversation.
what contest ?, its in the first paragraph of creatures wikipedia description that the studios was founded by former ape staff, the director,creative director and lead writer from this game all worked on earthbound

Miki Obata's first credit since Ambrella was acquired by Creatures. Probably not the only one there but I only quickly scanned through.

Edit: Also random Toru Osawa credit as one of three coordinators

Last edited:

Not credited outside of Special Thanks? Probably working on the other Creatures title.

The idea about the mandate was Nintendo started reigning in spin-off games to be more friendly to casual audiences after the New Super Mario Bros series exploded and Super Paper Mario was a little bit too crazy for people. This entire conversation stems from Arlo and he even brings up Odyssey and other mainline Mario games in his videos about this. The "timeline" for the mandate was since Super Paper Mario until whenever TTYD and Mario RPG went into development, not stopping in 2014. Obviously we have no way to confirm any of this but I find it pretty convincing. For awhile Mario spin-offs kinda got sterile. Even Mario & Luigi's last original game was about collecting paper Toads and seeing very little of the series' unique races and etc.

what contest ?, its in the first paragraph of creatures wikipedia description that the studios was founded by former ape staff, the director,creative director and lead writer from this game all worked on earthbound

I was frustrated because there was no mention of Creatures Inc. in your original response. How are readers supposed to know what you’re talking about if you don’t provide information?

Anyway, thank you for the clarification. That’s neat to know!

The idea about the mandate was Nintendo started reigning in spin-off games to be more friendly to casual audiences after the New Super Mario Bros series exploded and Super Paper Mario was a little bit too crazy for people. This entire conversation stems from Arlo and he even brings up Odyssey and other mainline Mario games in his videos about this. The "timeline" for the mandate was since Super Paper Mario until whenever TTYD and Mario RPG went into development, not stopping in 2014. Obviously we have no way to confirm any of this but I find it pretty convincing. For awhile Mario spin-offs kinda got sterile. Even Mario & Luigi's last original game was about collecting paper Toads and seeing very little of the series' unique races and etc.
It didn’t exactly stem for Arlo but Emily Rogers who provided some back ground info & other things about the “mandate”. Personally I wouldn’t call it a mandate but more brand control after the double whammy that was SPM & Striker Supercharged; which for something like Mario is normal & should’ve been expected sooner or later. Their existence is not in question but more so:
  • The leeway directors/producers have
  • The rules of the “mandate”
  • Is it more guidelines or truly a “mandate”
It is guesswork for two with no way of knowing about the one & three. Tabatha talked about it with TOK but I think it was more to cover his ass after getting grilled with CS. While with AD I’m almost certain that was entirely about reusing assets & cost control. Regardless we’ll see with the next Paper Mario how that one goes.

Earthbound team lmao. You sound like the media. “Earthbound team” doesn’t exist anymore and they wouldn’t put a game like this out. Now, the company or whoever still exists.

Detective Pikachu 2 is probably the most baffling game Nintendo has published, because this game was absolutely vital to the Pokémon movie franchise regaining excitement and TPC instead spent no money whatsoever on it.

This might be the most “penny wise, pound foolish” game of the decade.

Detective Pikachu 2 is probably the most baffling game Nintendo has published, because this game was absolutely vital to the Pokémon movie franchise regaining excitement and TPC instead spent no money whatsoever on it.

This might be the most “penny wise, pound foolish” game of the decade.
The fact that it’s out tomorrow and there is less than zero hype for it is nuts. It feels like the SV DLC also came and went. I know Pokémon isn’t “dying” but this is a concerning pattern.

Director Katsuyoshi Irie, creative director Yasunori Yanagisawa, and scenario director Hiroyuki Jinnai did work on EarthBound. But in terms of what most would actually think of when you think "EarthBound team", it feels a bit misleading when Jinnai is the only one of the three who was part of that game's writing staff (as an assistant writer).

It didn’t exactly stem for Arlo but Emily Rogers who provided some back ground info & other things about the “mandate”. Personally I wouldn’t call it a mandate but more brand control after the double whammy that was SPM & Striker Supercharged; which for something like Mario is normal & should’ve been expected sooner or later. Their existence is not in question but more so:
  • The leeway directors/producers have
  • The rules of the “mandate”
  • Is it more guidelines or truly a “mandate”
It is guesswork for two with no way of knowing about the one & three. Tabatha talked about it with TOK but I think it was more to cover his ass after getting grilled with CS. While with AD I’m almost certain that was entirely about reusing assets & cost control. Regardless we’ll see with the next Paper Mario how that one goes.
Oh i just meant this conversation in this thread. my bad. all this is good info tho so ty

Idk why but I really think nintendo has some sort of Action RPG in the works for zelda or a new franchise and Monolith is probably making it. They need something to compete in that realm with souls and stuff.

Idk why but I really think nintendo has some sort of Action RPG in the works for zelda or a new franchise and Monolith is probably making it. They need something to compete in that realm with souls and stuff.
Nintendo making a Soulslike would be insane. Not that it wouldn't be successful - it'd sell a million or 2, but I think they'd scare a ton of the casual audience with it if they suddenly came out with a Zelda game which was inaccessible for most players. Though, I can see Nintendo take a stab at a Soulslike with actual accessibility settings and difficulty controls. It's sad FromSoft and other developers won't add an easy mode to their games because their fanbases are so rabid, an easy mode would benefit so many people and hurt literally no one.

Nintendo making a Soulslike would be insane. Not that it wouldn't be successful - it'd sell a million or 2, but I think they'd scare a ton of the casual audience with it if they suddenly came out with a Zelda game which was inaccessible for most players. Though, I can see Nintendo take a stab at a Soulslike with actual accessibility settings and difficulty controls. It's sad FromSoft and other developers won't add an easy mode to their games because their fanbases are so rabid, an easy mode would benefit so many people and hurt literally no one.
if Nintendo greenlit a souls-like game, they don't care about scaring casuals. that's the whole point of it. and it's not like you need easier difficulties to sell well. Elden Ring is selling Nintendo numbers after all

Yeah I don't understand that sentiment. They need games for all audiences. and those type of difficult games are getting popular again. Games were hard back on the NES/SNES etc. Team Ninja made one for Final Fantasy and both new final fantasy's are some form of action rpg. Monolith probably wants to take a crack at an action rpg. My opinion. I think Zelda deserves another spinoff. but it could be anything.

Souls games are incredibly popular these days. A toned down Soulslike could do very, very well for Nintendo. Would love a new IP in that vein, instead of relying entirely on Metroid Prime for 3D Metroidvania design.

I could see Nintendo publish a soulslike but I don't expect any of their internal studios to work on it. This could be a collab with PlatinumGames or Koei Tecmo.

while we are still somewhat in the middle of meta-thread discussion, this type of post would be perfectly at home in the general nintendo thread:

less so here, where we discuss things that are or may be actually happening

This tweet from Taisuke Kanasaki states his involvement as art director, including responsibility for the game's box art. He now works at Arc System Works, but I'm not sure if that means the studio is involved or not. He was the director for the first Another Code and for Hotel Dusk back in the day.
Going back to this, he actually directed a spirtual successor to Hotel Dusk on 3DS. ASW is a likeky candidate here.

Edit: According to mobygames, he was the game /character designer, not the director.

Last edited:
while we are still somewhat in the middle of meta-thread discussion, this type of post would be perfectly at home in the general nintendo thread:

I thought this was speculation about what the different studios could be doing. Mine was monolith spec..?

Kinda weird how this thread is so strict in what’s allowed to be discussed here, while the thread that people are directed to for general Nintendo discussion is so incredibly loose with what’s allowed that often times there’s more discussion about completely off-topic shit or dumb in-jokes like Subway or whatever (despite there specifically being a thread for that kind of stuff in The Roost…) than there is actual Nintendo discussion. That might be why you get people wanting to post stuff here or in other threads. I know I tend to avoid the “Nintendo” General Discussion thread because of that, at least, and I’m sure I’m not the only one.

I thought this was speculation about what the different studios could be doing. Mine was monolith spec..?

This thread is usually more fact-based than speculative. Tracking known projects of studios and individual devs, posting hiring calls, and so forth. When there is speculation, it tends to be backed by one of these, e.g. “so-and-so hasn’t been credited on anything in a while, do you think that means they’re working on such-and-such franchise?”

Kinda weird how this thread is so strict in what’s allowed to be discussed here, while the thread that people are directed to for general Nintendo discussion is so incredibly loose with what’s allowed that often times there’s more discussion about completely off-topic shit or dumb in-jokes like Subway or whatever (despite there specifically being a thread for that kind of stuff in The Roost…) than there is actual Nintendo discussion. That might be why you get people wanting to post stuff here or in other threads. I know I tend to avoid the “Nintendo” General Discussion thread because of that, at least, and I’m sure I’m not the only one.
Forgive me for phrasing it in this possibly pretentious or gatekeepy way but that's the best I can do today: this series of threads, as originally run and established by EAD_Ninja, then maintained by myself and now astrogamer, has always been built around informed discussion about current, and past development at Nintendo and fact-based (as Embers pointed out above already) speculation about likely future development. It always leaned on more serious discussion and analysis by diving into credits, changing roles of certain developers, growing subsidiaries, dev partners and how company philosophy plays into it.

As I mentioned in a previous post a page or two ago when this came up already, it's less meant to be the fun hangout zone where you post your dream game wishlist or blue-sky imagine Nintendo buying IO Interactive so they make a Sheik stealth game or something of that nature.

The general Nintendo Discussion thread was spun-out of this one actually because once the Switch success gave a massive boost towards Nintendo discussion, we kept getting an influx of this exact type of hangout chatter in this thread about when the Next Direct (tm) would be or what might be announced soon. That's what the general discussion thread is there for. If that devolved into talking about people's favorite breakfast or something, that is a concern for that thread imo.

If you ask me, I'd rather keep this thread focused on slow-moving, fact-based discussion that doesn't need to escalate page counts with empty back and forth. Doesn't mean we can't have a silly detour every once in a while, obviously but it's gotten a bit off-track in the past week or two.

Forgive me for phrasing it in this possibly pretentious or gatekeepy way but that's the best I can do today: this series of threads, as originally run and established by EAD_Ninja, then maintained by myself and now astrogamer, has always been built around informed discussion about current, and past development at Nintendo and fact-based (as Embers pointed out above already) speculation about likely future development. It always leaned on more serious discussion and analysis by diving into credits, changing roles of certain developers, growing subsidiaries, dev partners and how company philosophy plays into it.

As I mentioned in a previous post a page or two ago when this came up already, it's less meant to be the fun hangout zone where you post your dream game wishlist or blue-sky imagine Nintendo buying IO Interactive so they make a Sheik stealth game or something of that nature.

The general Nintendo Discussion thread was spun-out of this one actually because once the Switch success gave a massive boost towards Nintendo discussion, we kept getting an influx of this exact type of hangout chatter in this thread about when the Next Direct (tm) would be or what might be announced soon. That's what the general discussion thread is there for. If that devolved into talking about people's favorite breakfast or something, that is a concern for that thread imo.

If you ask me, I'd rather keep this thread focused on slow-moving, fact-based discussion that doesn't need to escalate page counts with empty back and forth. Doesn't mean we can't have a silly detour every once in a while, obviously but it's gotten a bit off-track in the past week or two.
I understand that and agree; I was just pointing out how the “Nintendo” General Discussion thread that you and the staff here (as was the case with a recently locked thread) point people towards isn’t really what many people are looking for, either, because it’s less “Nintendo” than it is “general”—again, despite the fact that we have a thread specifically for that in The Roost. It doesn’t make sense to me that people posting that kind of off-topic chat aren’t directed to post in the general chit chat thread in The Roost instead to keep the original thread on topic, much like how people posting general Nintendo stuff here are directed to post in the Nintendo General Discussion thread.

I understand that and agree; I was just pointing out how the “Nintendo” General Discussion thread that you and the staff here (as was the case with a recently locked thread) point people towards isn’t really what many people are looking for, either, because it’s less “Nintendo” than it is “general”—again, despite the fact that we have a thread specifically for that in The Roost. It doesn’t make sense to me that people posting that kind of off-topic chat aren’t directed to post in the general chit chat thread in The Roost instead to keep the original thread on topic, much like how people posting general Nintendo stuff here are directed to post in the Nintendo General Discussion thread.
The general thread is the descendent of the old Direct threads, and it is accordingly arguably the thread for which this site exists. It is untouchable. I agree, though, that it's not a suitable space for casual Nintendo speculation.

What I think would be, however, is the return of year-round Direct Speculation threads. To my memory, the first one was made after a request by TheMoon to get all of the shitposts out of his damn first party thread. In a way, we're in a similar situation now.

I'll ask about the idea in the site feedback and general threads.

People want to talk about future switch games. A topic was made and was shut down by a mod who said this topic could be used too. The general discussion thread people don’t want to use and this thread has the usual posters crying about discussion.

Back
Top Bottom