• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

it's par for the course for any videogame with a big budget, nowadays
you are missing the point lol. Nevermind I'll stop getting annoyed.

Sure that is the case. But a 2d game like this does not normally take this much time. It's a lot less of an investment.
They had no deadline. They were allowed to do whatever. Which suggests this game might be a lot larger than we are used to for 2d Mario.
That is the sentiment here.

"Beginning of development" doesn't have to mean much without clarification on how long the different phases of development were and what it included.

the first party thread being basically inactive in between new credits drops is how it should be imo

I don't want to click on the Nintendo first-party notification and then see a reply chain about the Mario mandates

Last edited:
I know DK, and Wario, and Yoshi fans would be crushed, but EPD Tokyo’s 2D platformer being a completely new franchise would be so exciting and interesting.

It’s been……. A really long time since a new, non indie 2D franchise was started?

the first party thread being basically inactive in between new credits drops is how it should be imo

I don't want to click on the Nintendo first-party notification and then see a reply chain about the Mario mandates
Lock the thread. Change the name. If it's literally just a list of absolute facts.

Sorry but I can't take people's ignorance. We gotta balance it out a little with some rationality.

it's useful to have a thread where people just share information even if they don't necessarily talk about it. you can't expect OP to be the only one compiling information

This just isn't true at all. Neither Arlo nor Emily were responsible for starting this.

It came straight from the mouth of Nintendo Producer Kensuke Tanabe. And he said it in 2020.

https://screenrant.com/paper-mario-original-characters-policy-nintendo-switch/

On July 2020, Nintendo's Kensuke Tanabe said:
She didn’t start this particular conversation but she put it in people’s heads well before TOK around the time of CS. It’s been a talking point for a long time now within the PM community.

There's basically two views on what this thread should be:

1) A free for all first-party thread with place for idle chatter and speculation.
2) A reference thread where we only discuss credits and news that directly pertain to first-party development.

While it was traditionally the latter (partly due to its Era-legacy) the last few pages have also shown that the community wants a place where it can engage in the former. But now that we have a Switch 2 speculation thread all of that can go in there.

There's basically two views on what this thread should be:

1) A free for all first-party thread with place for idle chatter and speculation.
2) A reference thread where we only discuss credits and news that directly pertain to first-party development.

While it was traditionally the latter (partly due to its Era-legacy) the last few pages have also shown that the community wants a place where it can engage in the former. But now that we have a Switch 2 speculation thread all of that can go in there.
Is technology related news/articles relevant to this thread (for exemple Monolith Soft explaining their upscaling technologies during conferences, also things like datamining to determine which engines are being used.)

I'd imagine interviews talking about game design would also be relevant ?

And no more looking at jobs posting/linkedin to assess what studios are working since that'd veer into speculation on I assume (which is better suited for other threads).

Saw a fun blog post on AlphaDream that may be of interest to people here.

There seems to be a misconception going around in Japanese fandom, that's even made it to AlphaDream's JP Wikipedia page, that the majority of staff ended up at Tose following the studio's bankrupcy, and worked on Live A Live HD-2D and the upcoming Super Mario RPG remake. It's pretty interesting to see how easily this sort of thing spreads in spite of how easy it is to debunk, which the writer does in four steps:
  • Tose's common model of being a "ghost developer" that goes uncredited makes tracking any staff specifically associated with them (and not other studios contributing to a project) difficult and unlikely.
  • There's no public mention of Tose's involvement on Live A Live (which was led by Historia and Team Asano) in the first place.
  • Simply looking at the credits of Bowser's Inside Story DX and seeing where some staff members have been credited since (much like a lot of the analysis done in this thread). Much like the findings here they determine Fantasian to have the most notable, abliet still overall modest overlap; but there are plenty of credits across the industry on titles from many publishers and studios.
  • We know literally nothing about who is working on Super Mario RPG and the Wikipedia article pulls that claim from nowehere; but even under the assumption that Tose were developing it, and there were a notable count of former AlphaDream staff at the studio, their potential roles on the staff would likely be limited to planning, design and UI positions given how the 3D elements of the 3DS Mario & Luigi installments were all outsourced to other studios.
Out of curiosity, how do you come across blogs like these?
Like, what exactly do you search in order to find them - surely you don't just randomly stumble onto them, right?

Is technology related news/articles relevant to this thread (for exemple Monolith Soft explaining their upscaling technologies during conferences, also things like datamining to determine which engines are being used.)

And no more looking at jobs posting/linkedin to assess what studios are working since that'd veer into speculation on I assume (which is better suited for other threads).
Maybe I'm the wrong person to answer this because I've always been in favour of just letting people discuss everything first-party in here. But I'd say that all of those examples you mentioned here should be fair game, even job postings, because they still contain more substantial information from direct sources than "hey wouldn't it be cool if Monolithsoft worked on a gritty Ice Climbers reboot?"

edit: meant first-party, not first-person lol

Last edited:
Like, what exactly do you search in order to find them - surely you don't just randomly stumble onto them, right?
probably search some reaction on X (formally known as Twitter) and stumble upon it

this is all stuff we have always talked about in this series of threads without problem. the latter part (job postings) though obviously within reason lol (as in, know that artwork that comes with job postings is not artwork from an actual project meant to represent the final product). btw remember that there is a dedicated monolithsoft thread where you can freely discuss their job postings and hiring artwork (it's also linked in the OP). I thought Retro had one too but that may have been on Era, not sure.

Oh this one I did randomly stumble into lol; a Japanese account I follow retweeted it and it ended up being an interesting read. Will be following them on my own now though; they did some solid write-ups on TotK, Kirby and Prime Remastered credits earlier this year too, the former references EAD Ninja's own Kyoto Report which I got a kick out of seeing.

I don't have access to the full Telegraph article but I saw someone from Era sharing an excerpt from the article where Aonuma essentially doubles down on not providing more DLC and moving on to a new game (and new Hyrule supposedly) :

image.png

Honestly the right decision as TOTK is already massive and I'm sure creating a brand new world alongside new mechanics will take a long time even if some pre production work has already started while TOTK was in the end of development (tho I'm not as optimistic as other people thinking it'll be a "quicker" turnaround).

Obviously the earlier Famitsu interview already sounded pretty definitive but I think this is as clear cut as it gets.

Update on the credits: i've got them, but in a form that will take a long time to transcribe into a readable format. For now I have some notable leads and some misc roles I find interesting:
  • Director - Shiro Mouri
  • Producer - Takashi Tezuka
  • Programming Director - Hiroshi Umemiya
  • Art Director - Masanobu Sato
  • Production Management - Katsuya Eguchi, Hiroyuki Kimura
  • Sound Director - Koji Kondo
  • Music - Shiho Fujii, Sayako Doi, Chisaki Shimazu
  • Special Level-Design Adviser - Toshihiko Nakago
SRD and Nintendo Pictures are in the Special Thanks.

If there's any specific request before the full credits can be transcribed; let me know!

Update on the credits: i've got them, but in a form that will take a long time to transcribe into a readable format. For now I have some notable leads and some misc roles I find interesting:
  • Director - Shiro Mouri

If there's any specific request before the full credits can be transcribed; let me know!
oh Koji kondo is sound director, was he one before? i dont think i remember him in such position

• Director - Shiro Mouri

Can you decipher a few of the planners? That’s one of the key items.

We should have the full credits soon.

an you decipher a few of the planners? That’s one of the key items.

There's no position explicitly labelled as Planning in these credits, so here's Game Design:
  • Koichi Hayashida
  • Terumasa Kato
  • Eiji Mukao
  • Hajime Nakao
  • Ryuhei Matsuura
  • Kenichiro Yoshioka
  • Shigefumi Hino
  • Satoko Higashi
  • Yuji Watanabe
One other curious position I forgot to include last time (both in the label itself and also being another Tokyo staffer like Hayashida):

Visual and Look Development - Naoki Mineta

There's no position explicitly labelled as Planning in these credits, so here's Game Design:
  • Koichi Hayashida
  • Terumasa Kato
  • Eiji Mukao
  • Hajime Nakao
  • Ryuhei Matsuura
  • Kenichiro Yoshioka
  • Shigefumi Hino
  • Satoko Higashi
  • Yuji Watanabe
One other curious position I forgot to include last time (both in the label itself and also being another Tokyo staffer like Hayashida):

Yuji Watanabe was the hire from Square-Enix who did script writing on several Dragon Quest titles.

• Koichi Hayashida
  • Terumasa Kato
  • Eiji Mukao
  • Hajime Nakao
  • Ryuhei Matsuura
  • Kenichiro Yoshioka
  • Shigefumi Hino
  • Satoko Higashi
  • Yuji Watanabe

Does game design mean writing? its always so confusing to me, not sure why they dont just put planner into game design and game design into writing in english credits

Does game design mean writing? its always so confusing to me, not sure why they dont just put planner into game design and game design into writing in english credits

Game Design and Script Design (writing) are both components of planning. So they can label it broadly as planning or more specifically.

Need to take a break from transcribing (the next time I post it should be the full credits sans localisation staff) but it's worth chewing on the level designer list for now:

Course Level Design
  • Takayuki Ikkaku
  • Minoru Narita
  • Yuhei Ariyama
  • Takayuki Hirai
  • Makoto Ono
  • Kai Kiku
  • Yasuhisa Yamamura
  • Eiji Noto
  • Yuko Nishimura
  • Yuichi Takano
  • Tomoyuki Watanabe
  • Yoichi Nagai
  • Sho Miyata
  • Shoichiro Takeyoshi
  • Kana Aiba
  • Tatsuya Nawata
  • Tomohiro Hirao
  • Yoki Omura
  • Rika Yamamoto

with Hayashida in there, is this another Super Mario Maker 2 situation where they had EPD Tokyo involved?

Super Mario Bros. Wonder credits (sans the localisation credits; only left the headers to mark where they would be). In the files the names are sorted alphabetically by position, so naturally this shouldn't be the exact order the names appear in-game.

Art Director
  • Masanobu Sato

Artwork
  • Aya Oyama
  • Minoru Uenaka
  • Shigehisa Nakaue
  • Takanao Kondo
  • Taku Ito
  • Tsuyoshi Watanabe
  • Yu Yamamoto

Character Action Design
  • Tatsuya Sakai
  • Takahiro Nishigaki
  • Takaki Yoshida
  • Miryan Paku
  • Kazuto Takatama
  • Hiroyuki Morishima
  • Munetaka Kurosaki
  • Yuta Mizushima
  • Tomoyuki Hattori
  • Yutaka Funatani
  • Shigeto Hozumi
  • Hiroto Nakanishi
  • Sota Tanaka
  • Naoko Adachi

Character Design
  • Keisuke Umeda
  • Moe Shirataki
  • Hirohito Shinoda
  • Rio Kurosaki
  • Tomomi Sumaki
  • Hiroki Yamada
  • Riko Shibanuma
  • Ken Minobe
  • Hiromi Sugimoto
  • Yu Yang
  • Shohei Imamura
  • Takahisa Ikejiri
  • Yusuke Suzuki
  • Takuma Tokita
  • Yuki Kaneko
  • Shungo Suzuki
  • Kiyoe Saito
  • Hiroshi Tanaka
  • Ryo Sugimoto
  • Yuki Ishii
  • Sidan Wang
  • Shota Hosogai
  • Fumiko Nishimura
  • Megumi Hamasaki

Cinematic Design
  • Jumpei Akasaka
  • Tomoe Aratani
  • Shigeki Yoshida
  • Ryuichi Tsurunosono
  • Naoki Kobayashi
  • Koichi Honma
  • Yu Ihara
  • Emi Hirai

Course Level Design
  • Takayuki Ikkaku
  • Minoru Narita
  • Yuhei Ariyama
  • Takayuki Hirai
  • Makoto Ono
  • Kai Kiku
  • Yasuhisa Yamamura
  • Eiji Noto
  • Yuko Nishimura
  • Yuichi Takano
  • Tomoyuki Watanabe
  • Yoichi Nagai
  • Sho Miyata
  • Shoichiro Takeyoshi
  • Kana Aiba
  • Tatsuya Nawata
  • Tomohiro Hirao
  • Yoki Omura
  • Rika Yamamoto

Debug Support
  • Shotaro Iwanaga
  • Shogo Takaki
  • Yuta Ogawa
  • Toru Inage

Development Support
  • Tatsuya Hishida
  • Ko Yamamoto
  • Kosuke Yamamoto

Director
  • Shiro Mouri

Enemy and Object Programming
  • Kensuke Muraki
  • Ayano Masaki
  • Hiromasa Iwamoto
  • Atsushi Yamazaki
  • Yusaku Shimizu
  • Tatsuo Nishiyama
  • Takamitsu Kuzuhara
  • Shogo Kihara
  • Yudai Fukuta
  • Hiro Ochiai
  • Jun Tsuzuki
  • Rintaro Sozu
  • Shohei Degawa
  • Atsuki Onishi
  • Hiroyuki Kato
  • Taishi Hori
  • Keita Hikichi
  • Sei Ohirabaru
  • Ryonosuke Yamada
  • Yosuke Sakooka

Engineering Support
  • Yuta Yamamoto
  • Yoji Okudera
  • Hitoshi Kanetani
  • Shikou Yamaue
  • Takayuki Yanagisawa

Environment Programming
  • Kazuhiro Wabe
  • Katsuma Sonobe
  • Kenji Higashiyama

Executive Producer
  • Shuntaro Furukawa

Field Design
  • Saki Kaneko
  • Yasutomo Nishibe
  • Yuriko Suzuki
  • Tetsuya Kobayashi
  • Soshiro Suzuki
  • Shintaro Kashiwagi
  • Hanaka Narishima
  • Yasuko Hamaoka
  • Shota Kishita
  • Ai Kobayashi
  • Yohei Izumi
  • Masato Amma
  • Karon Shiihara
  • Masahiro Fukuoka
  • Kei Watanuki
  • Takateru Kadota
  • Satoshi Takamura
  • Yutaro Sato
  • Asahi Kikuchi
  • Megumi Watanabe
  • Yumi Ooka
  • Akira Inoue

Game Design
  • Koichi Hayashida
  • Terumasa Kato
  • Eiji Mukao
  • Hajime Nakao
  • Ryuhei Matsuura
  • Kenichiro Yoshioka
  • Shigefumi Hino
  • Satoko Higashi
  • Yuji Watanabe

General Producer
  • Shinya Takahashi

Graphics Programming
  • Kazuhiro Nakari
  • Tatsuya Shinada
  • Takahiro Yagushi
  • Shuhei Maekawa

iQue Localization Coordination
iQue Quality Assurance
iQue Translation

Music
  • Shiho Fujii
  • Sayako Doi
  • Chisaki Shimazu

Network Adviser
  • Daisuke Nakamura

Network Programming
  • Kojiro Taguchi
  • Takeshi Wakasugi
  • Yukari Suzuki

NHT Localization Coordination
NHT Quality Assurance
NHT Translation
NOA Localization
NOA Localization Management
NOA Product Testing
NOE Localisation Producers
NOE Quality Assurance
NOE Translation
NOK Localization Management
NOK Quality Assurance
NOK Translation

Player Programming
  • Takuto Hirukawa
  • Keigo Nakanishi
  • Yuki Takaya

Producer
  • Takashi Tezuka

Production Management
  • Katsuya Eguchi
  • Hiroyuki Kimura

Programming Director
  • Hiroshi Umemiya

Project Management
  • Shigeyuki Asuke
  • Shohei Mizutani
  • Hitoshi Shimamori

QA Engineering
  • Masatoshi Ogawa
  • Kenichi Nishiyama
  • Atsushi Nishiwaki
  • Masaro Sakakibara
  • Kunihiro Komatsu

Sound Adviser
  • Koichi Kyuma

Sound Design
  • Sanae Uchida
  • Takahiko Fujita
  • Etsuro Urabe
  • Hiromitsu Fujikawa
  • Riyu Tamura
  • Takahiro Nosho
  • Taiyo Furukawa
  • Eka Chin
  • Rintaro Sato

Sound Director
  • Koji Kondo

Sound Programming
  • Chihiro Okada
  • Ryo Takami

Special Level-Design Adviser
  • Toshihiko Nakago

Special Thanks
  • Masanao Arimoto
  • Ayako Akaza
  • Tomo Tanaka
  • Takuya Matsunobu
  • Daichi Nonaka
  • Ryo Kodama
  • Keijiro Inoue
  • Makoto Yonezu
  • Keisuke Nishimori
  • Yoshihisa Morimoto
  • Jin Ikeda
  • Shunsuke Makita
  • Tsutomu Kaneshige
  • Toyoki Kataoka
  • Ryota Maruko
  • Takahiro Miyagawa
  • Takeshi Ishida
  • Kenichi Hirose
  • Yoshihiko Sakuraba
  • Takuma Oiso
  • Shozo Hidaka
  • Kazuya Sumaki
  • Satoru Osako
  • Yuichiro Okamura
  • Katsuhisa Sato
  • Takahiro Takayama
  • Toshio Iwawaki
  • Kazuaki Morita
  • Yuji Sawatani
  • Gentaro Takaki
  • Hisashi Okada
  • Fumiya Nakano
  • Hiroyuki Taniwa
  • Yohei Miyagawa
  • SRD Co., Ltd.
  • Nintendo Pictures Co., Ltd.

Supervisor
  • Shigeru Miyamoto

System Programming
  • Mahito Idehara
  • Kazuki Misu
  • Seiichiro Fukuda
  • Makoto Sasaki
  • Koji Sakai

Technical Support
  • Akihisa Watabe
  • Eiji Sumida
  • Yoshiyuki Tsuji

Testing
  • Jun Sugiyama
  • Takeshi Saigo
  • Wataru Goto
  • Daiki Yokouchi
  • Koji Hosokawa
  • Shota Kobayashi
  • Masakazu Takahashi
  • Yuko Kaneko
  • Erina Tanaka
  • Miki Kawata
  • Hayato Horiuchi
  • Ao Masuda
  • Shinya Morimoto
  • Kazuki Kusuda
  • Yukiko Wada
  • Tomoaki Tatsumi
  • Mario Club Co., Ltd.
  • Pole To Win, Inc.

UI Design
  • Mai Yamamoto
  • Ryota Irie
  • Satomi Tateishi
  • Haruka Nishinaga

UI Programming
  • Ryo Takebayashi
  • Momoko Shibutani
  • Atsushi Sakaguchi
  • Masayuki Kuwajima
  • Shun Ikuno
  • Shigehiro Kasamatsu
  • Nobuhiko Sadamoto
  • Satoru Takahata
  • Takashi Yoshimi
  • Makoto Shirakawa

VFX Design
  • Takeshi Nishimura
  • Eriko Matsui
  • Suzuka Tomiishi
  • Misato Iwasawa
  • Kojiro Inoue
  • Haruyasu Ito

Visual and Look Development
  • Naoki Mineta

Voice Actors
  • Kevin Afghani
  • Luís Barros
  • Dawn M. Bennet
  • Christine Marie Cabanos
  • Nakyoon Choi
  • Paolo De Santis
  • Ewout Eggink
  • Caitlyn Elizabeth
  • Giselle Fernandez
  • Leandro Hainis
  • Kenny James
  • Samantha Kelly
  • Junji Kitajima
  • Anton Kobylko
  • Rafa Parra
  • Jérémy Prévost
  • Ma Bo Qiang
  • Caety Sagoian
  • Jan Uplegger
  • Alan Fernando Velazquez
  • Mick Wingert

Voice Directors
  • Jean-Philippe Brière
  • Hilde de Mildt
  • Mário Dias
  • Tina Hsing
  • Michael Hülsmann
  • Ilja Köster
  • André Mello
  • Roman Palmov
  • Guillermo Reinlein
  • Alessandro Ricci
  • Miguel Ángel Ruíz Díaz
  • Changhyeon Ryu
  • Patrick Seitz

Voice Recording
  • Bad Animals
  • Cup of Tea Productions, Inc.
  • Keywords Studios
  • SIDE UK
  • Sound Map

World Map Programming
  • Nobuhiro Matsumura
  • Ryu Shinomiya

Super Mario Bros. Wonder credits (sans the localisation credits; only left the headers to mark where they would be). In the files the names are sorted alphabetically by position, so naturally this shouldn't be the exact order the names appear in-game.
Headcount wise I'm curious what the difference between Wonder and NSMBU is

So with EPD Tokyo working on Wonder... Was Wonder the 2D Tokyo project all along?

So far that's only Koichi Hayashida who previously also worked on other 2D Mario titles like Super Mario Maker 2. It could very well be that some of the new planners or artists come from Tokyo - but that isn't apparent here yet.

I see, that seems hard to tell how someone is doing what if its not specified
Hey, at least the roles are labeled, even if it's a bit more broad than desired. (No, I'll never get over the Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury credits. Worse credits I've seen in my life.)

EPD Tokyo doing Wonder co-dev was always possible as their 2D project, but it would be the worst outcome, lol.

EPD now just exclusively doing Zelda, 2D Mario, 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Splatoon, and some casual games.

This is roughly what they have done since the Wii/DS era though.

Wii/DS Era
  • Mario Kart
  • Animal Crossing
  • New Super Mario Bros.
  • 3D Zelda
  • 2D Zelda
  • 3D Mario
  • Wii Pikmin ports
  • Casual games (Wii Sports/Play/Fit/Music, Nintendogs, Big Brain Academy, Flipnote)
  • Close partnership with Q-Games for Star Fox Command

Wii U/3DS era
  • Mario Kart
  • Animal Crossing & spin-off
  • New Super Mario Bros. & Super Mario Maker
  • 3D Mario & Captain Toad
  • 3D Zelda
  • 2D Zelda
  • Pikmin
  • Splatoon
  • Casual games (Nintendo Land, Wii Fit U, Wii Sports Club with Bamco)
  • Close partnerships with Vitei, Q-Games and Platinum for Star Fox, Steel Diver, Tank Troopers

We lost 2D Zelda (a huge shame, really) and the Star Fox team partnerships, and Pikmin is now co-developed by an external team, but the bunk of the series is still developed internally. But on the other hand, we had ARMS.

I'm more sad for R&D1/SPD1/EPD7. They haven't developed a single game internally for the whole generation. I guess they are an external production group now.

This is roughly what they have done since the Wii/DS era though.

Wii/DS Era
  • Mario Kart
  • Animal Crossing
  • New Super Mario Bros.
  • 3D Zelda
  • 2D Zelda
  • 3D Mario
  • Wii Pikmin ports
  • Casual games (Wii Sports/Play/Fit/Music, Nintendogs, Big Brain Academy, Flipnote)
  • Close partnership with Q-Games for Star Fox Command

Wii U/3DS era
  • Mario Kart
  • Animal Crossing & spin-off
  • New Super Mario Bros. & Super Mario Maker
  • 3D Mario & Captain Toad
  • 3D Zelda
  • 2D Zelda
  • Pikmin
  • Splatoon
  • Casual games (Nintendo Land, Wii Fit U, Wii Sports Club with Bamco)
  • Close partnerships with Vitei, Q-Games and Platinum for Star Fox, Steel Diver, Tank Troopers

We lost 2D Zelda (a huge shame, really) and the Star Fox team partnerships, and Pikmin is now co-developed by an external team, but the bunk of the series is still developed internally. But on the other hand, we had ARMS.

I'm more sad for R&D1/SPD1/EPD7. They haven't developed a single game internally for the whole generation. I guess they are an external production group now.

Sure, but EPD Tokyo hiring for a new 2D platformer gave some hope that they would do a game other than The Six and that’s looking less likely.

Very hard to see where a new IP for next gen could come from.

Director
Shiro Mouri

Game Design
Koichi Hayashida (EPD Tokyo)
Terumasa Kato
Eiji Mukao
Hajime Nakao
Ryuhei Matsuura
Kenichiro Yoshioka
Shigefumi Hino
Satoko Higashi
Yuji Watanabe (EPD Tokyo)